closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you trust this seller & buying from US

Master

Would you trust this seller & buying from US

I am in discussion with a seller from another forum and he has given me his eBay feedback as a means of reference. The watch in question is a few thousand dollars and I wanted to make sure that I don't get burned. I am not buying the watch through eBay. I ordinarily would not entertain the thought of buying from the USA but the watch in question is substantially cheaper than in the UK.

His eBay feedback: https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...rchInterval=30

Has anybody any experience with buying relatively high value items from the USA? What do I need to look out for in terms of insurance/VAT/customs etc.

Your comments welcomed.

Ric

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    What do I need to look out for in terms of insurance/VAT/customs etc.
    You'll be liable for 20% VAT on the cost of the watch plus postage. There will also be a carrier's charge of somewhere between £8 and £20, depending on who delivers it. There's no duty payable on single watches.

In terms of insurance, it depends on who is taking the risk. If you pay using PayPal (NOT PayPal Gift or PayPal Family & Friends), then you should have Buyer's Protection and it will be down to the seller to ensure that it is insured (unless you agree otherwise). If you're paying by some other method, then it's probably in your interests to insure - including making sure that watches are covered (not all carriage insurance will cover watches/jewellery) and that the postage method chosen allows watches to be transported.

Does the seller have any feedback on the forum it’s listed on and can you be sure that the ebay account is his? Also, although a lot is watch related, most of the feedback is for low value items. Might be overkill but I’d probably negotiate a price to compensate for fees and ask him to list it on ebay and pay by paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Might be overkill but I’d probably negotiate a price to compensate for fees and ask him to list it on ebay and pay by paypal.
    I agree with paying by PayPal (as I mentioned above), but what benefit would buying through eBay confer?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I agree with paying by PayPal (as I mentioned above), but what benefit would buying through eBay confer?
    Would he not have buyer protection from ebay if he did?

Dont rely on PayPal's buyer protection. I bought a watch from France in the summer and insisted on using normal PayPal and even agreed to pay the 4% fees. The watch was sent fully insured, but stolen in transit. PayPal refused my claim even after I had reported it to the police and obtained a crime number. The seller put an insurance claim in via La Poste and when they settled he decided to keep the money - so he got £800 for his £400 watch and I got sweet FA.

After that experience, I would insist the seller sell through e-bay and that the Watch is shipped through their global shipping program. Sod the extra expense and charges, do it properly and your watch will arrive safely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Dont rely on PayPal's buyer protection. I bought a watch from France in the summer and insisted on using normal PayPal and even agreed to pay the 4% fees. The watch was sent fully insured, but stolen in transit. PayPal refused my claim even after I had reported it to the police and obtained a crime number. The seller put an insurance claim in via La Poste and when they settled he decided to keep the money - so he got £800 for his £400 watch and I got sweet FA.

After that experience, I would insist the seller sell through e-bay and that the Watch is shipped through their global shipping program. Sod the extra expense and charges, do it properly and your watch will arrive safely.
    You could do a lot for F2Fs for the £400 you lost.

We even had a case here where someone was slagging a seller / courier off because he was sent an empty parcel. Turns out he never opened the parcel correctly and the watch was inside all the time.

It's F2F only for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You could do a lot for F2Fs for the £400 you lost.

We even had a case here where someone was slagging a seller / courier off because he was sent an empty parcel. Turns out he never opened the parcel correctly and the watch was inside all the time.

It's F2F only for me.
    That was me not checking the parcel properly and I admitted being a twit at the time.

As for only doing F2F, that's just your usual nonsense talking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That was me not checking the parcel properly and I admitted being a twit at the time.

As for only doing F2F, that's just your usual nonsense talking.
    Yes you admitted to being a twit after wasting the couriors time and casting all manner of aspertions on other peoples integrity. Now that really was talking nonsense.

Master
    Face to face is not possible here.

Has anybody bought privately from the USA and what was your experience?

Thanks!

Craftsman
    I would check to see if he’s been mentioned on one of the forums.
    Also to check the negative reviews and the actions he took to remedy them.

Better not to take the risk if you’re not sure. It will eat at you!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes you admitted to being a twit after wasting the couriors time and casting all manner of aspertions on other peoples integrity. Now that really was talking nonsense.
    I didn't waste anyone's time – I got in touch with the seller and politely explained what I found (or didn't find). They then called me to explain, so probably five minutes in all.

Having looked back on my rant I now remember what happened. The watch box was there with the cushion, but no tags and no actual watch. Despite me searching the outer box, I couldn't find the watch. The retailer explained that the watch was loose in a bag under the extensive packaging. On closer inspection, there it was and an apology was duly made.

Bit of a weird way to transport a watch IMO so I think I can be forgiven for initially suspecting the worse.

Anyway, maybe you could waste your time doing a spell check before you post next time.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 18th October 2019 at 17:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I didn't waste anyone's time – I got in touch with the seller and politely explained what I found (or didn't find). They then called me to explain, so probably five minutes in all.

Having looked back on my rant I now remember what happened. The watch box was there with the cushion, but no tags and no actual watch. Despite me searching the outer box, I couldn't find the watch. The retailer explained that the watch was loose in a bag under the extensive packaging. On closer inspection, there it was and an apology was duly made.

Bit of a weird way to transport a watch IMO so I think I can be forgiven for initially suspecting the worse.

Anyway, maybe you could waste your time doing a spell check before you post next time.
    Take this elsewhere please?

Master
    UPDATE FROM SELLER:

I clearly understand your concern, one has to do is due diligence before moving forward with any transaction.

Apologies, Would love to do the sale through eBay but the issue here is that i am selling this on behalf of a friend, He requested that the funds be wired directly to him.

Thanks.

I think i've made my mind up.

Take this elsewhere please?

To answer your question, we don't know the seller so how can we say if he's trustworthy? The eBay account looks fine, if it's actually him. What's his forum record? Is it still that much cheaper after the 20% VAT and courier fees are added on?

I've bought plenty of watches from the US via WUS sellers and not had a problem, but that means nothing because I don't know your seller. I make a judgment based on their forum presence and feedback, and how they respond to messages.

As mentioned above, don't rely on PP to get you out of hole.

Good luck.

Face to face is not possible here.

Has anybody bought privately from the USA and what was your experience?

Thanks!
    I bought privately on the panerai forum from USA ,got in touch with the buyer ,asked loads of questions and I mean loads ,I thought if it takes days to answer he’s probably looking it up ,he came straight back to me ,I know that doesn’t mean it’s legit .
    Anyway the watch was cheaper than Uk or Europe but if it got stopped at customs it would work out the same as here ,so I thought i would risk it ,and it got stopped,which was a bummer but the deal was fine .
    The good thing about my deal it was off a forum so there’s always a paper trail to check them out .

I wouldn't buy from him! In several of his Negative ratings, he calls the buyer a "liar."

eBay feedback is pretty inconsequential if you’re not buying the watch through eBay

I’d avoid, why endure the risk and all the hassle? Your time and piece of mind is worth loads!

UPDATE FROM SELLER:

I clearly understand your concern, one has to do is due diligence before moving forward with any transaction.

Apologies, Would love to do the sale through eBay but the issue here is that i am selling this on behalf of a friend, He requested that the funds be wired directly to him.

Thanks.

Sounds very dodgy! How many posts do they have on the other forum?

I was scammed for an item worth about £300 when I was a teenager (felt like a lot of money at the time). I wouldn't purchase a high value item (say £1000+) unless it was face to face or perhaps from a long standing forum member in the same country (other forums).

You could message him saying you have a friend that is going to be in his area in the US next week and could he pick it up and pay cash? See how he reacts?

Master
    I have bought many watches from the US over the years, including Panerai, vintage Speedmasters etc. without any issue. I have never had to pay VAT on any watch that came via the normal postal system, unlike courier firms. However, generally the sellers have been very active members of fora such as Paneristi, WuS etc so not 'unknowns'.
    I don't like the sound of your sellers story - this isn't from Chronotrader by any chance??

Craftsman
    UPDATE FROM SELLER:

Thanks.

Say no more avoid !

Master
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE FROM SELLER:

Thanks.

That would be a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    That would be a deal breaker for me.
    Me too.

My advice would be to steer well clear of this!

I am in discussion with a seller from another forum and he has given me his eBay feedback as a means of reference. The watch in question is a few thousand dollars and I wanted to make sure that I don't get burned. I am not buying the watch through eBay. I ordinarily would not entertain the thought of buying from the USA but the watch in question is substantially cheaper than in the UK.

His eBay feedback: https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...rchInterval=30

Has anybody any experience with buying relatively high value items from the USA? What do I need to look out for in terms of insurance/VAT/customs etc.

Your comments welcomed.

Ric
    Just for future watch hunting, did you notice what PhilipK said about the VAT etc?
    That’s vitally important when making your calculations and makes the USA rarely cheaper.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I wouldn't buy from him! In several of his Negative ratings, he calls the buyer a "liar."
    What this man says.Walk away!!!