closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Posting watches rant

Grand Master

Posting watches rant

I post out and receive a fair few watches, thought I’d share a few points with y’all.......OK, it’s my mid- day regular rant

RMSD is an excellent service, apart from 2 minor issues with delayed delivery over several years I’ve never had a problem. However, I marvel at how some packages ever reach me, some people have a strange concept of ‘ clearly addressed’, ranging from a nice printed label, or a neatly written special delivery envelope, to a scruffy padded envelope with a scrawled spidery handwriting........I’ve had everything between these extremes.

What really puzzles me is how folks forget to put their return address clearly on the package! This is the safeguard, the backstop, the catch- all that ensures their watch isn’t lost. What if they’ve got my address wrong, or they post something whilst I’m on a fortnight holiday? The sender’s address is vital yet I get stuff sent without it. Often there’s postcode and number that’s barely legible, it’s almost as if people are reluctant to put their name and address clearly on the package.

What’s prompted me to post is what I see as a marked deterioration in standards and professionalism at the sub post offices. My local one changed hands a couple if years back, the previous guy was very good, but the folks who have it now haven't got a clue, they don’t know how to process Special Delivery mail. The problem arises when requesting insurance above £500, 2 different staff members have got this wrong and each time been less than receptive to my efforts to correct them. Perhaps the computer screens are misleading, there’s a point where they should input the value if above £500 but somehow they miss it. As the service is advertised as providing up to £2500 cover they assume this to be the default, they don’t realise an extra charge is required. The receipt states the value of insurance if above £500, so it’s clear to see when they’ve processed it wrongly. It shouldn’t need customers to tell them this, it’s clearly a training issue, but I’ve had problems with 2 staff at one office and 1 person at another ( although we managed to talk that one through, the young lady accepted what I pointed out and thanked me!).

Another problem with the second one I use is the bloody music! It now has Radio 1 blaring out at a level that makes conversation a strain. I don’t expect to carry out transactions when I’m straining to hear what’s been said.....or maybe I’m just getting old!

I’m a big fan of Royal Mail, our local posties are v. friendly and helpful, the local sorting office people are pleasant too, but the sub post offices seem to be going down the pan. I need to be 100% confident when posting stuff out and the folks at both local subs don’t fill me with that confidence.

Rant over!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Out local post office is in the pub,music on all the time.Being a bit on the deaf side makes it difficult to say the least.

Our local PO changed hands a few months ago, it has gone from primarily being a PO to a counter in a shop selling anything and everything.

it’s not great and not as good as it was.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My local post office in a rural Gloucestershire town is excellent from the perspective of service. However, in terms of decor and general appearance it's stuck in the 50s, 1850s!. Most Post Offices I go into are similar; they just don't seem to be invested in.

I am 10% behind the comments - the number of people that do not put a return address on anything is huge. It's part of the service you pay for - simples.

I posted out one watch recently - the GMT that I passed on immediately at cost to a great member on here - I made sure all was right and he loved how it arrived.

RMSD is THE best service in the country - I worked for RM as a Key Account Manager for many years - selling the product to T-Mobile (that was) and Vodafone, not just based on how good it was, but on how it impacted their total service.

Customers with missing phones or lost products would cause inbound traffic and lengthy calls resolving complaints. When this was costed out - the result was a no brainer - most firms still use it.

As for safety - pop your head into the main post office in the Jewellery Quarter at about this time of day - see whats going out.....

Post and packing are the responsibility of the seller - but they should be better informed by GPO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I am 10% behind the comments - the number of people that do not put a return address on anything is huge. It's part of the service you pay for - simples.

I posted out one watch recently - the GMT that I passed on immediately at cost to a great member on here - I made sure all was right and he loved how it arrived.

RMSD is THE best service in the country - I worked for RM as a Key Account Manager for many years - selling the product to T-Mobile (that was) and Vodafone, not just based on how good it was, but on how it impacted their total service.

Customers with missing phones or lost products would cause inbound traffic and lengthy calls resolving complaints. When this was costed out - the result was a no brainer - most firms still use it.

As for safety - pop your head into the main post office in the Jewellery Quarter at about this time of day - see whats going out.....

Post and packing are the responsibility of the seller - but they should be better informed by GPO
    The GPO was disbanded in 1969 !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    My local post office in a rural Gloucestershire town is excellent from the perspective of service. However, in terms of decor and general appearance it's stuck in the 50s, 1850s!. Most Post Offices I go into are similar; they just don't seem to be invested in.
    I could put up with the decor for the excellent service. My village post office has become a sell everything mini supermarket and the service is terrible. The previous lady who still works part time in the post office part is knowledgeable and great to deal with. However when she isn't there the other staff haven't got a clue, and are rude and unhelpful. They seem to view the post office business as just a nuisance. I now drive to another village usually, where the staff are more pleasant and helpful.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I’d be inclined to add both the delivery address and return address inside the package also.

Always had the idea for travel luggage - to make tags using QR-code with your address and contact number(s), could do the same on labels on packages.

I like to use the RMSD silver bags. They tend to be more tamper proof and have the address and sender details to fill in.
    I also fill the same in on the contents and use duck tape to secure the box.... don't trust anyone! 😋

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I post out and receive a fair few watches, thought I’d share a few points with y’all.......OK, it’s my mid- day regular rant

RMSD is an excellent service, apart from 2 minor issues with delayed delivery over several years I’ve never had a problem. However, I marvel at how some packages ever reach me, some people have a strange concept of ‘ clearly addressed’, ranging from a nice printed label, or a neatly written special delivery envelope, to a scruffy padded envelope with a scrawled spidery handwriting........I’ve had everything between these extremes.

What really puzzles me is how folks forget to put their return address clearly on the package! This is the safeguard, the backstop, the catch- all that ensures their watch isn’t lost. What if they’ve got my address wrong, or they post something whilst I’m on a fortnight holiday? The sender’s address is vital yet I get stuff sent without it. Often there’s postcode and number that’s barely legible, it’s almost as if people are reluctant to put their name and address clearly on the package.

What’s prompted me to post is what I see as a marked deterioration in standards and professionalism at the sub post offices. My local one changed hands a couple if years back, the previous guy was very good, but the folks who have it now haven't got a clue, they don’t know how to process Special Delivery mail. The problem arises when requesting insurance above £500, 2 different staff members have got this wrong and each time been less than receptive to my efforts to correct them. Perhaps the computer screens are misleading, there’s a point where they should input the value if above £500 but somehow they miss it. As the service is advertised as providing up to £2500 cover they assume this to be the default, they don’t realise an extra charge is required. The receipt states the value of insurance if above £500, so it’s clear to see when they’ve processed it wrongly. It shouldn’t need customers to tell them this, it’s clearly a training issue, but I’ve had problems with 2 staff at one office and 1 person at another ( although we managed to talk that one through, the young lady accepted what I pointed out and thanked me!).

Another problem with the second one I use is the bloody music! It now has Radio 1 blaring out at a level that makes conversation a strain. I don’t expect to carry out transactions when I’m straining to hear what’s been said.....or maybe I’m just getting old!

I’m a big fan of Royal Mail, our local posties are v. friendly and helpful, the local sorting office people are pleasant too, but the sub post offices seem to be going down the pan. I need to be 100% confident when posting stuff out and the folks at both local subs don’t fill me with that confidence.

Rant over!
    Now I'm worried, did I put my address on? I think so but PM me if not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Now I'm worried, did I put my address on? I think so but PM me if not.
    Oh dear....tut tut 😁

Op regards your 1st point Boris has got rid of the backstop. I think the worst bit is them having radio 1 on. How can you do anything with some twonk rapping about his bitches, green (I think that means money) and cars in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Our local PO changed hands a few months ago, it has gone from primarily being a PO to a counter in a shop selling anything and everything.

it’s not great and not as good as it was.
    Ours went down that route, then closed completely - the shop side couldn't compete with the local Co-Op! The nearest Post Office is a good drive away, and that's another counter at the back of a shop!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.