closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best diving watch there is?

Master
    Blog Entries
    In that case this one without doubt.
    It’s not massive but big enough to be practical in the water and not shouty at the bar.
    A good hint of vintage and best of all it’s not a xxxxx to start another boring conversation about residuals and values
    plus it’s not common .

https://www.timefactors.com/precistaprs82.htm

SLA019 and G2 computer. That is my choice!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I would have thought the best diving watches in the world are the none wis professional dive watches bought by professional divers from diving supply retailers, not high street jewellers/ADs!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    No.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I would have thought the best diving watches in the world are the none wis professional dive watches bought by professional divers from diving supply retailers, not high street jewellers/ADs!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Do you really, really, really - think that was the intent of the OP?

Really?

Even though the OP has returned to explain what he originally meant I'm still non the wiser, most expensive, deepest, bluest, blackest it's all subjective, what desk will it encounter, what car steering wheel should it be photographed against, is it a 'safe queen' or is it to be used for diving,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    ... the Rolex 116600 Seadweller.

... it can be used on a dive or with a Tuxedo with equal ease.
    Huge steel sport watches do not go well with formal dress unless you are wearing trainers, or have a James Bond fetish.

Rolex have done well to market the "sub+suit" look, and here's how and why they did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMYD0JkKc0

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    what car steering wheel should it be photographed against
    A major preoccupation of The Rolex Forum. Makes me cringe every time I see one.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    A major preoccupation of The Rolex Forum. Makes me cringe every time I see one.
    +1

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Divers use diving computer watches. Anything else is outdated retro sentimentalism. I've never been diving but I own a few of the latter type dive watches. They look nice and big and macho.
    I think exactly same and also ı think if you dive 50 meters or lower must thrust a modern techologies

Quote Originally Posted by TURGUT View Post
    I think exactly same and also ı think if you dive 50 meters or lower must thrust a modern techologies
    Good to hear that you've worked that out

If you are going by depth rating.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Even though the OP has returned to explain what he originally meant I'm still non the wiser, most expensive, deepest, bluest, blackest it's all subjective, what desk will it encounter, what car steering wheel should it be photographed against, is it a 'safe queen' or is it to be used for diving,,
    Then you, my friend, are unteachable :)

I dive in all my watches. I cant be bothered with a dive computer. I give my Suunto D4, which I use mainly for free diving to time my surface intervals (a standard watch cant do that), to my girlfiriend while on scuba, as a back up. Yes as a back up to my traditional watch, for my planned dive.

A simple mechanical watch + tables is all you need for scuba, if you are an experienced and responsible diver. My many years of diving prove this.

I have taken everything from my SKX, NY 0040, 16600, SMP, Sub etc with me and they all done an amazing job. ALL my watches shall be able to dive with me. Hence, why I do not buy 10K Euro watches. Unfortunately I do not afford to scratch them

If you are one to flop your flippers and hands all over the place on your dives and join your dive club every once in a while, then yes, a computer might be best for you.

You will understand that many 116600 owners can afford a nice BMW or Merc, hell even a Ferrari in many cases. Let them flaunt it. Perhaps you wouldn't if you could. I know a few who don't too.

When I first started diving with the BSAC back in 1984 I also used a standard watch with tables, over the years like all the divers I know I've changed and modified the way I use my kit, the point I was making was that the OP was asking was what is the best dive watch and I still haven't heard the answer, but go ahead and enlighten us.
    Last edited by number2; 19th October 2019 at 16:38.

Master
    When I first started diving with the BSAC back in 1984 I also used a standard watch with tables, over the years like all the divers I know I've changed and modified the way I use my kit, the point I was making was that the OP was asking was what is the best dive watch and I still haven't heard the answer, but go ahead and enlighten us.
    And I repeat. What is the criteria for evaluating this? Otherwise its just subjective opinion.

And I repeat. What is the criteria for evaluating this? Otherwise its just subjective opinion.
    Exactly,

Master
    My position has changed on this recently...
    Although, if money were no object then I think I would go for a Sea Dweller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Those SMP are fannytastic dive watches but a complete bitch to turn the bezel with oily gloves, that's the only reason I swapped mine in for a SD.

Like indigestion

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Those SMP are fannytastic dive watches but a complete bitch to turn the bezel with oily gloves, that's the only reason I swapped mine in for a SD.
    Isn’t that a massive design failure?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    My position has changed on this recently...
    Although, if money were no object then I think I would go for a Sea Dweller.

SMPs shall also rank high in this 'list'.

I absolutely love my black dial SMPc. I bought it in Amsterdam 8 years ago, one of the very first one released. Never regretted it and remains one of my very favorites to this day. Such a 'do it all' watch.

However, there are a few things I'd change. Say a larger crown, slightly thicker hands, remove lume plot at 3 o'clock.

On the other hand, I'd change nothing about the 116610. After so many years of buying & selling watches, that is very hard to achieve indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

If you could have one diving watch what would it be? Would you change anything about it?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that best is particularly measurable.
    You can have capable of greatest depth, most technical, most aesthetically pleasing to the beholder when not underwater bla bla endless nitpicking.

Personally my favourite dive watches are offerings from Rolex and Panerai. I'm not keen on the bpff due to the large and shiny nature of it and branding on the side, but I really like the barakuda reissue.

The standard submariner is my favourite overall, whether they're best or not, I don't know.

Craftsman
    Surely the Sinn U1000 is deserving of a mention.... how many other dive chronographs can be operated at depth without harm or risk of leaks?

I have several divers watches, including one I bought from the OP, my three favourites are the Rolex Deepsea, Omega Plopprof 1200 or the Porsche Design P6780, I have wanted a 6780 for a long time and recently acquired one, I think it could be the "best" probably underrated and not that well known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmBf5d0kTHo
    Last edited by adrianw; 21st October 2019 at 12:19.

Journeyman

Best looking?

Huge steel sport watches do not go well with formal dress unless you are wearing trainers, or have a James Bond fetish.

Rolex have done well to market the "sub+suit" look, and here's how and why they did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMYD0JkKc0
    I think it's pretty clear - this Captain Cook is the best diver for provoking outraged comments against anyone claiming it is the best diver... pretty though...

[IMG] upload[/IMG]

Master
    If I was diving I certainly wouldn't have an antiquated mechanical curiosity invented in the previous millennium strapped to my wrist. I'd have the very latest dive computer.
    So personally a dive watch is all about style and in that situation (again for me) the best looking, most versatile, dive 'style' watch has to be the Breitling Superocean Heritage on a mesh bracelet (pick the size and colour according to your taste / build ).
    The Rolex and Omega offerings are lovely but just a bit too 'toolwatch' for everyday life, the Breitling is equally at home in a business meeting or the beach and at a pinch can be worn Bond style with a Dinner Jacket if you are an unconventional type.
    If someone held a gun to my head and said choose one watch for the rest of your life or I'm shooting you it would be my Blue SOH 46 B20 on mesh.
    But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    If I was diving I certainly wouldn't have an antiquated mechanical curiosity invented in the previous millennium strapped to my wrist. I'd have the very latest dive computer...
    ...But that's just me.
    I have the 'very latest dive computer' and a dive watch as a backup timer. Why do you assume its an either/or proposition?

CWC RN Diver.

Next question?

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    Surely the Sinn U1000 is deserving of a mention.... how many other dive chronographs can be operated at depth without harm or risk of leaks?
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5227427

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

I'll lower you 900m

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I'll lower you 900m

I'll lower you to 15,000m deep - Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Ultra-Deep:

ref: https://www.watchtime.com/featured/f...-professional/

the profiles a bit steep though:

also ref:

https://www.swatchgroup.com/sites/de...nformation.pdf
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st October 2019 at 19:27.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    If I was diving I certainly wouldn't have an antiquated mechanical curiosity invented in the previous millennium strapped to my wrist. I'd have the very latest dive computer.
    So personally a dive watch is all about style and in that situation (again for me) the best looking, most versatile, dive 'style' watch has to be the Breitling Superocean Heritage on a mesh bracelet (pick the size and colour according to your taste / build ).
    The Rolex and Omega offerings are lovely but just a bit too 'toolwatch' for everyday life, the Breitling is equally at home in a business meeting or the beach and at a pinch can be worn Bond style with a Dinner Jacket if you are an unconventional type.
    If someone held a gun to my head and said choose one watch for the rest of your life or I'm shooting you it would be my Blue SOH 46 B20 on mesh.
    But that's just me.
    You’ll fit right in............... on a diving forum.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Then you, my friend, are unteachable :)

I dive in all my watches. I cant be bothered with a dive computer. I give my Suunto D4, which I use mainly for free diving to time my surface intervals (a standard watch cant do that), to my girlfiriend while on scuba, as a back up. Yes as a back up to my traditional watch, for my planned dive.

A simple mechanical watch + tables is all you need for scuba, if you are an experienced and responsible diver. My many years of diving prove this.

I have taken everything from my SKX, NY 0040, 16600, SMP, Sub etc with me and they all done an amazing job. ALL my watches shall be able to dive with me. Hence, why I do not buy 10K Euro watches. Unfortunately I do not afford to scratch them

If you are one to flop your flippers and hands all over the place on your dives and join your dive club every once in a while, then yes, a computer might be best for you.

You will understand that many 116600 owners can afford a nice BMW or Merc, hell even a Ferrari in many cases. Let them flaunt it. Perhaps you wouldn't if you could. I know a few who don't too.
    You are wide of the mark in respect of the diving credentials of some of the members here, seriously.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

also ref:

I can't stand thin watches! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You are wide of the mark in respect of the diving credentials of some of the members here, seriously.

Oh god! I sense you’re gonna do a Number two!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    you’re gonna do a Number two!
    What happens underwater stays underwater.

The best diving watch there is?

For Me. Having done one try dive and now looking to take my course to dive myself I’d always dive in my 14060m or my 2254. Of those the 14060m wins due the ease of bezel usage. I may use a dive computer but that would not be classed as my dive watch.

Last edited by woodacre1983; 22nd October 2019 at 08:09.

I have these four divers.

I love them all. But if I had to choose only one watch to wear for the rest of my life, it would be my Submariner 16610.
    Last edited by JPE; 21st October 2019 at 23:59.

Have to say I always chuckle at the ‘how can you wear a Submariner with a suit?’ Comments. By today’s standards it’s a small, neat and smart monochrome watch (whichever steel model, with the possible exception of the Deepsea).
    I wore a suit with a Casio Frogman, beard and Red Wing boots one day last week and a 25 year old colleague remarked ‘I wish I knew how you manage to throw stuff together that shouldn’t work but somehow, on you, looks great’ - to which I replied ‘it’s down to half a century of creating your own style, whilst at the same time appearing not to care what you look like’ - and yes, they were brown boots with navy (albeit corduroy) trousers, the horror!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    lol. Very true it seems. But some are still very well versed in dive computers it seems, certainly more than me :).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I have these four divers.

I love them all. But if I had to choose only one watch to wear for the rest of my life, it would be my Submariner 16610.

Great stuff. What a fantastic set of timeless dive watches you have there. If it was me in your place I think it would be the 16600 though. I love the sans cyclops look and the crystal being thicker than the bezel.

The 16610, feels too 'common' for me (not as owned by too many people, but as feeling like many other watches)

I should have never sold mine. Wear them in good health :)!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    For Me. Having done one try dive and now looking to take my course to dive myself I’d always dive in my 14060m or my 2254. Of those the 14060m wins due the ease of bezel usage. I may use a dive computer but that would not be classed as my dive watch.

Great pair. Never let go of the 14060M. I have owned hundreds of dive watches & it is the one watch I regret letting go of most.

Good luck on your course and always plan your dive! The sea is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Have to say I always chuckle at the ‘how can you wear a Submariner with a suit?’ Comments. By today’s standards it’s a small, neat and smart monochrome watch (whichever steel model, with the possible exception of the Deepsea).
    I wore a suit with a Casio Frogman, beard and Red Wing boots one day last week and a 25 year old colleague remarked ‘I wish I knew how you manage to throw stuff together that shouldn’t work but somehow, on you, looks great’ - to which I replied ‘it’s down to half a century of creating your own style, whilst at the same time appearing not to care what you look like’ - and yes, they were brown boots with navy (albeit corduroy) trousers, the horror!!
    I'm guessing that your colleague was teasing you. But wear whatever you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I'll lower you 900m

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

also ref:

Ha, trumped you all with this oil filled skinny 11mm thick Sinn, just after I gave the sting ray a left hook.

Master
    I imagine I might beat every poster on this thread in lacking actual diving experience, but for whatever it might be worth, my best guess would be to judge the best "divers watch" in the context of the genre's 1950s to 1970s golden era as an actual tool for professional divers with good weight given for comprehensive use capabilities and "after hours" versatility.

In that I think the beautifully simple and straightforward Jenny front-loading monocoque cased Caribbean divers outclassed everything in technological case design and one writer of the internet era's past once titled his reasonings as to that something like "The Watch That The Rolex SeaDweller Should Have Been".

Seiko must have recognized this early on and their premium professional grade late 1960s MarineMaster 300 Hi-Beat ref. 6159-7001 gas/sat divers are perfect reflections of the superlative Jenny Caribbean case design with the later brilliantly added feature of retaining the stronger and less problematic one-piece crown stem despite the front loading backless case by simply drilling a crown stem release access port at the periphery of the dial hidden under the chapter ring until needed to complete disassembly of the watch.

With the Seiko one-piece crown stem contribution above, plus two other equally brilliant and simple technological add-ons in the Certina DS type movement buffering "under gasket(?)" and (the Omega developed?) para-magnetic escapement parts for the movement itself, I think that the original Jenny Caribbean case design theoretically so updated lacks only adaptation to a high quality generic version of the peerless Rolex spec TripLock OysterCrown crown&tube unit to become what I personally see as, by far, the very highest evolution of the dive watch (or any other genre watch for that matter) and I wish somebody like Eddie would make one.
    Last edited by Rollon; 2nd November 2019 at 13:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What happens underwater stays underwater.
    Mine normally float?

Journeyman
    I love the sea dweller and the deep sea. I should have break my saving plans 10y ago, now it‘s beyond my means.

Anyway, no one for the Omega Seamster PO 600? The older model in 42 looks great imo. I look for one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post

Anyway, no one for the Omega Seamster PO 600? The older model in 42 looks great imo. I look for one.
    Never Known one not leak in saturation.

Journeyman
    Oh really??

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    I imagine I might beat every poster on this thread in lacking actual diving experience, but for whatever it might be worth, my best guess would be to judge the best "divers watch" in the context of the genre's 1950s to 1970s golden era as an actual tool for professional divers with good weight given for comprehensive use capabilities and "after hours" versatility.

In that I think the beautifully simple and straightforward Jenny front-loading monocoque cased Caribbean divers outclassed everything in technological case design and one writer of the internet era's past once titled his reasonings as to that something like "The Watch That The Rolex SeaDweller Should Have Been".

Seiko must have recognized this early on and their premium professional grade late 1960s MarineMaster 300 Hi-Beat ref. 6159-7001 gas/sat divers are perfect reflections of the superlative Jenny Caribbean case design with the later brilliantly added feature of retaining the stronger and less problematic one-piece crown stem despite the front loading backless case by simply drilling a crown stem release access port at the periphery of the dial hidden under the chapter ring until needed to complete disassembly of the watch.

With the Seiko one-piece crown stem contribution above, plus two other equally brilliant and simple technological add-ons in the Certina DS type movement buffering "under gasket(?)" and (the Omega developed?) para-magnetic escapement parts for the movement itself, I think that the original Jenny Caribbean case design theoretically so updated lacks only adaptation to a high quality generic version of the peerless Rolex spec TripLock OysterCrown crown&tube unit to become what I personally see as, by far, the very highest evolution of the dive watch (or any other genre watch for that matter) and I wish somebody like Eddie would make one.
    *tips hat*

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_french_guy View Post
    Oh really??
    Yes, never seen a SMP leak, seen loads (over 5) PO's leak.