closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best diving watch there is?

Master

The best diving watch there is?

For me I must admit, that a watch that stands head and shoulders above all, comes from a brand which I am not exactly a fan of, not least for the fact that I don't afford any of their watches anymore.

I don't think there is (or has ever been) a more up to any occasion diving watch than the Rolex 116600 Seadweller.

The proportions and details are just perfect. It's amazing how everything about it screams attention to detail and perfect design/proportions. More so how it can be used on a dive or with a Tuxedo with equal ease. It is one of only 2 watches (the other is my SBBN015) that I would not change anything about. The crown guards, triplock crown, bezel, bevelling, proportions, bracelet, dial, hands etc....they are just perfect as they are.

It's amazing, that with me being a WIS and having seen and handled so much watches, have to admit that most probably there is not a better watch than the one known by so many.

I'd never buy one for the 10K+ Euro they are fetching now, not unless I would be doing that amount in a month (I'm still a LITTLE way off). But I'm willing to bet that with such a limited run, they will cost double that ten years down the line.

Is there such a watch for you?

For me the BP 50 Fathoms is a better diver - fit and finish of the Rolex is lower and for example you can easily knock the bezel and move it unintentionally on the Rolex) but everyone has their own opinions and of course the SD is lovely and has no cyclops too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Most significant? Iconic? Durable? Enduring?

Rolex Submariner slots into all the above, as does the Seadweller.

Omega Plopfrof?

Blancpain FF?

They figure in a lot, but perhaps not as complete as the Rolex models?

Everyone will have their own thoughts.

Master
    Personally, I'd take the GS titanium diver SBGA231 for its better finishing, legibility, accuracy, movement, comfort and price.

But the 116600 is nice and I admit would go better with a tux ;)

Master
    Any Submariner or Sea Dweller would fit the bill.

Oh, and a Planet Ocean too.

Is there such a thing as 'best'?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

There is?

As stated, opinions differ. Also depends what you intend to do with it, sit at a desk, occasional swim in a holiday pool or dive to great depths in the oceans because that's your job.

I've owned a few Subs, a few SDs and a BPFF and for me the BPFF is a class above - but that's just the opinion of a random stranger on a watch forum who rarely gets his feet wet.

The best diving watch there is? or The best looking diving watch there is?

I love my Helson 40mm Shark personally, very clear, beefy and lume is amazing.

Doubt it anywhere near the best though lol. Maybe a Rolex.

But all the diving clubs use diving computers don't they ? I was talking to a diving instructor and he said the computers took over long way back.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I love my Helson 40mm Shark personally, very clear, beefy and lume is amazing.

Doubt it anywhere near the best though lol. Maybe a Rolex.

But all the diving clubs use diving computers don't they ? I was talking to a diving instructor and he said the computers took over long way back.
    Exactly. And if you were going to use a mechanical watch to dive then I think I'm pretty confident in saying that the ones most fit for purpose come from Seiko, either the MM300 or (more likely) the Shogun.

Master
    I can't argue with the seadweller, nor suggestions like a sub or the FF, but then I've only actually handled a sub. Plopprof I'd say doesn't fit all occasions. I'll suggest a PO or a Pelagos (because I have them of course!), although actually for me the PO is head and shoulders above the Tudor. I'm sure there are many ways a FF could be subjectively better, but those two are very good.

The most useful watch I’ve dived with.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Best diving watch surely has to have some useful features for divers.

Seadwellers, subs and Fifty fathoms are all nice watches, but if I'm strapping scuba tank on my back I'd be wearing something like this:

Best looking - Sea Dweller IMO.

Sub's not too bad either.

Close runner up is this old Seamaster 120 of mine.

My son is a PADI instructor and he wears a Seiko 007J I bought him years ago.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

That old Seamaster looks better than any of their current offerings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Best diving watch surely has to have some useful features for divers.

Seadwellers, subs and Fifty fathoms are all nice watches, but if I'm strapping scuba tank on my back I'd be wearing something like this:

You appear to have mistakenly wandered in from a forum where commonsense is talked.

Master
    While some of you missed the point, some has come up with interesting replies :).

Yes, while I also do think the BP FF could also be a favorite for this position, I still do not think it goes so well with flip flops and t shirt. I also don't think it has proper bracelet dive extension for wearing on a proper semi dry suit.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    While some of you missed the point.
    Not surprisingly given who they are:-)

There's too many out there to pick "The One", but from the Dive watches that I have been lucky to own or currently own I would say that this little lady is currently the Apple of my Eye, not perfect by any means but definitely greater than the sum of her parts :

The utliitarian Tudor Pelagos is probably the best Dive watch that I have owned, but some others have pushed it close such as the Seiko Emperor Tuna :

I have owned my fair share of Microbrand divers and out of the lot of them the Helson Shark Diver deserves a special mention, atomic lume, indestructible build quality and great value.

Blog Entries

Diving watch

Submariner; Seadweller;
    Seamaster; Ploprof;

where best= ‘fit for purpose’ and diver watch = ‘mechanical timing device that fits on a wrist’.

It would completely depend on what you want the watch to do. But if you wanted to go diving why not take somthing designed and proven to do the job.

Journeyman
    Either one of these

IMG_8498.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

Easy this wins hands down the case alone can withstand 12km of pressure
    and its only 13mm thick

Master
    Blog Entries
    The best as a watch for diving no contest Marathon JSAR.

Closely followed by numerous Seikos the latest turtle model is hard to beat.

Blog Entries
    • More or less the complete Seiko Divers' range - very good products in every price range
    • Citizen - on par with Seiko; some have better lumen
    • G-Shocks - proven reliability by most men and women in the various Forces
    • One specific watch: Sinn EZM2 with the oil-filled case. The oil makes reading the hands very easy underwater and from every angle. Read this and you'll understand why. http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/EZM.html

Master
    Divers use diving computer watches. Anything else is outdated retro sentimentalism. I've never been diving but I own a few of the latter type dive watches. They look nice and big and macho.

Always nice to hear from an expert.

Turned into a “I have a diver-type watch - I’ll join in and claim it is the bestest, ever” thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Turned into a “I have a diver-type watch - I’ll join in and claim it is the bestest, ever” thread.
    Brilliant!

Craftsman
    Is there a watch that will help me to learn diving?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    For me I must admit, that a watch that stands head and shoulders above all, comes from a brand which I am not exactly a fan of, not least for the fact that I don't afford any of their watches anymore.

I don't think there is (or has ever been) a more up to any occasion diving watch than the Rolex 116600 Seadweller.

The proportions and details are just perfect. It's amazing how everything about it screams attention to detail and perfect design/proportions. More so how it can be used on a dive or with a Tuxedo with equal ease. It is one of only 2 watches (the other is my SBBN015) that I would not change anything about. The crown guards, triplock crown, bezel, bevelling, proportions, bracelet, dial, hands etc....they are just perfect as they are.

It's amazing, that with me being a WIS and having seen and handled so much watches, have to admit that most probably there is not a better watch than the one known by so many.

I'd never buy one for the 10K+ Euro they are fetching now, not unless I would be doing that amount in a month (I'm still a LITTLE way off). But I'm willing to bet that with such a limited run, they will cost double that ten years down the line.

Is there such a watch for you?
    Another Rolex thread then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Is there a watch that will help me to learn diving?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    A very big and heavy one perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Always nice to hear from an expert.
    Maybe not an expert but he is right. Everybody uses a computer these days. I use two. One console directly linked via HP hose to the 1st stage and a wrist mounted Suunto with a wireless pod connected directly to the 1st stage. That's the norm even for intermediate recreational divers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    For me the BP 50 Fathoms is a better diver - fit and finish of the Rolex is lower and for example you can easily knock the bezel and move it unintentionally on the Rolex) but everyone has their own opinions and of course the SD is lovely and has no cyclops too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Then I'd say the SMP bond is a contender. It's hard to rotate that bezel intentionally!

OP asked what is the best diving watch, not which is the best watch for diving.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You are right,which makes me wrong maybe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    One would have to say if this is a subjective or objective exercise. If its subjective then everyone is right. If its objective then it has to be based on some criteria to judge by. Perhaps an "expert" could provide a set of criteria whereby we could allot marks out of 10 for each watch put forward and arrive at some meaningful answer to the question.
    Last edited by Tiny; 18th October 2019 at 21:08.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Maybe not an expert but he is right. Everybody uses a computer these days. I use two. One console directly linked via HP hose to the 1st stage and a wrist mounted Suunto with a wireless pod connected directly to the 1st stage. That's the norm even for intermediate recreational divers.
    As a recreational diver myself who's rarely gone below 40 metres I use a suunto wrist computer and a basic Casio digital watch attached to my pressure / depth gauge, most of my diving is UK, I still plan my dive profiles and generally wear a divers watch topsides simply for their robustness.

One would have to be a very ‘simple’ person not to be able to understand what the OP meant when he posed the question.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    One would have to be a very ‘simple’ person not to be able to understand what the OP meant when he posed the question.
    You never disappoint when it comes to condescending comments Raj.
    That chat would get you a few 2nd prizes down the pub.

Doxa Sub 300T's

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by senraw; 18th October 2019 at 22:01.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go the older 16600 rather than the SDc personally. It's my work watch, so what I wear most of the time and it ticks every box as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    You appear to have mistakenly wandered in from a forum where commonsense is talked.
    Not really, I own a Teric (as pictured) and its an awful substitute for a watch once its out of the water. The Teric is arguably the best dive computer available but not a great dive watch for daily use.

What did he mean then? Best dive watch for diving and with a tuxedo?

Master
    Some valid replies from those who did in fact understand the post.

For those who didn't, I meant 'do anything dive watch that could serve a man very well in a one watch collection'.

It's hard to have a Suunto do that, at least for me certainly. My SBBN015 can't either for me.

While my SKX or NY0040 could also do for some, there are so many things I would change personally.

Perhaps it's clearer what I meant now.
    Last edited by buddy13; 19th October 2019 at 08:02.

Or one might just welcome debate around other watches that aren’t Swiss mechanicals. It’s a watch forum after all and we shouldn’t just focus on a handful of models from a handful of brands. We’re not going to learn anything new if all we debate is ‘what’s best with a shirt and flip flops’.

Smart watches, dive computers and feature packed sports watches are all becoming more popular so let’s discuss them and their merits and open our eyes to some new and interesting technology.

Craftsman
    Well said that man

It's probably been covered before but a discussion on watches for running, sailing, cycling etc would probably also be interesting for many on here, and would almost certainly be focussed on modern technology. I love a vintage mechanical as much as the next person but I love using my Garmin for its intended purpose too.

Apologies to the OP for the diversion of the conversation.
    Or one might just welcome debate around other watches that aren’t Swiss mechanicals. It’s a watch forum after all and we shouldn’t just focus on a handful of models from a handful of brands. We’re not going to learn anything new if all we debate is ‘what’s best with a shirt and flip flops’.

Smart watches, dive computers and feature packed sports watches are all becoming more popular so let’s discuss them and their merits and open our eyes to some new and interesting technology.

The ‘no one dives with Rolex/BP but only dive computers’ has been done to point of boredom. No one needs to be reminded of that.
    The OP was obviously referring to dive style watches, not necessarily for purpose of diving. It wasn’t rocket science to figure it out.
    Also the whole-it is a watch forum for discussion, so I am going to hijack it to tomtom my oft repeated views- is also an old and tired thing. Discussion is fine but Atleast respect the aim/purpose of the thread and the OP.
    OP wanted a certain discussion. Go along, humour him. JSAR, Doxa, even Seikos and Citizens are all valid viewpoints within that.Whatever floats one’s boat.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 19th October 2019 at 08:29.

Master

Promaster Marine Super Titanium

When I was into technical diving, my watch was a useful backup to my computer. (I always wore three timing devices: a dive computer, dive timer and dive watch.)

While I think any ISO dive watch would do, my preference would be for a titanium watch because of salt water immersion. Also, an automatic watch isn’t going to have a battery failure at an inopportune time.

My vote would be for a Pelagos or Citizen Promaster Marine Super Titanium. The latter has the benefit of Citizen’s scratch resistant coating too - which never does any harm considering how easily watches can get scratched on boats.