closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Caseback Swap on a Moonwatch

Master

Caseback Swap on a Moonwatch

I have a Moonwatch professional but I saw a really nice picture of a "Sapphire Sandwich" with the visible movement. Can anyone advise whether the 2 casebacks are interchangeable, what the part number is & how much it costs in the UK?

Craftsman
    Watching with interest...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes they are and I have no idea.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

The casebacks are interchangeable, but the movements look different. Much nicer finishing on the sandwich sapphire version.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The casebacks are interchangeable, but the movements look different. Much nicer finishing on the sandwich sapphire version.
    This.

Buy a display back watch then get the original Speedy casebck.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I knew they swapped out the delrin brake, but does the improved finishing amount to more than that? Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Does anyone have one of these? Be interested to see what the fit and finish is like.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Does anyone have one of these? Be interested to see what the fit and finish is like.
    I have one on my MKII, really impressed with it. Fit and finish is perfect IMO. Nice guy to deal with aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    I have and think it's fine.

Someone grumbled that it isn't a good shape for the case, but it looks (and more importantly feels) fine to me.

I also think the difference in the movement appearance is much overstated...

It's a tiny amount of money in the watch world and you can change it back to standard any time you like.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 17th October 2019 at 18:50.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I knew they swapped out the delrin brake, but does the improved finishing amount to more than that? Thanks
    Yes, they look better finished too. 1861 v 1863 movement.

I can't attach pics at the minute, so just a link to another thread with not the best pics, but the 1863 is just a nicer looking movement and much better through a clear case back:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/18...ro-697946.html
    It's just a matter of time...

Yes, they look better finished too. 1861 v 1863 movement.

I can't attach pics at the minute, so just a link to another thread with not the best pics, but the 1863 is just a nicer looking movement and much better through a clear case back:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/18...ro-697946.html
    Really useful, thanks for posting.

I’m sure I used to know all this once upon a time, but since my obsession with Speedies waned I think that retained knowledge has been replaced by photographic mental capturings of Peppa Pig episodes and suchlike.

(I do have young offspring).

Master
    Good point! I never thought of that. The one that's not designed to be seen isn't going to be as well finished is it? It doesn't need to be

Master
    Thanks for the replies, I think I might park this idea for a bit.

It'll look great even if it's not finished to the standard of the one designed to be seen. They're just fascinating little machines to watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I have one on my MKII, really impressed with it. Fit and finish is perfect IMO. Nice guy to deal with aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have and think it's fine.

Someone grumbled that it isn't a good shape for the case, but it looks (and more importantly feels) fine to me.

I also think the difference in the movement appearance is much overstated...

It's a tiny amount of money in the watch world and you can change it back to standard any time you like.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Thank you both. Might have to give it a whirl!

@omegamaniac bizarrely, that link takes me to a G-Shock thread from 2006?

Craftsman
    It may be just random misfirings in my neutrons, but I thought the OEM sapphire casebook required a slightly different profile movement spacer. Maybe just to take into account the missing dust cover. Wouldn't know who to check with now...

-- Tim

[ Edit - ah, I see the aftermarket one comes with a new spacer ]
    Last edited by in_denial; 17th October 2019 at 21:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It'll look great even if it's not finished to the standard of the one designed to be seen. They're just fascinating little machines to watch.
    I agree. I also had a Customwatchconcepts display back on a couple of Speedies and often found myself staring at the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by in_denial View Post
    It may be just random misfirings in my neutrons, but I thought the OEM sapphire casebook required a slightly different profile movement spacer. Maybe just to take into account the missing dust cover. Wouldn't know who to check with now...

-- Tim

[ Edit - ah, I see the aftermarket one comes with a new spacer ]
    Correct on both counts. OEM sapphire uses a different movement ring, which extends up to the caseback and the custom display back uses a spacer ring to achieve the same thing.
    To the OP: I have two of these custom display backs and am using one on my original version Snoopy. One is polished and the other brushed. I could let one go if you do decide to try it.

My Speedy was bought second hand and came with an aftermarket display case back, which was almost certainly not to the standard of the one linked above. When I sent it off to Duncan at Genesis for a service, the display caseback failed all WR tests and had been fitted without the correct spacer. Needless to say, the original caseback was refitted as part of the service. So not all aftermarket display backs are created or fitted equally.

Personally, I think the original is much better looking.

Craftsman
    Interested in getting this done. Not bothered by the degraded water resistance.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Personally, I think the original is much better looking.

Are you saying the previous owner of your sapphire sandwich had changed out the factory sapphire case back with a third party sapphire case back?

Of course the original is better looking... However people that buy the 3rd party case back in question, do so because their watches came from the factory with a solid one.

Quote Originally Posted by jackin_jill View Post
    @omegamaniac bizarrely, that link takes me to a G-Shock thread from 2006?
    Me too even though the URL says speedmaster. Maybe it's just Tapatalk being odd

Master
    My Speedy was bought second hand and came with an aftermarket display case back, which was almost certainly not to the standard of the one linked above. When I sent it off to Duncan at Genesis for a service, the display caseback failed all WR tests and had been fitted without the correct spacer. Needless to say, the original caseback was refitted as part of the service. So not all aftermarket display backs are created or fitted equally.
    The aftermarket caseback linked to above is Thomas Preik, now trading as Custom Watch Concepts. Thomas' product is very highly regarded in Omega circles and I've no concerns with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    The aftermarket caseback linked to above is Thomas Preik, now trading as Custom Watch Concepts. Thomas' product is very highly regarded in Omega circles and I've no concerns with mine.
    As I said in my first post, the one I had was doubtless not of the same quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jackin_jill View Post
    Are you saying the previous owner of your sapphire sandwich had changed out the factory sapphire case back with a third party sapphire case back? Of course the original is better looking... however people that buy the 3rd party case back in question, do so because their watches came from the factory with a solid one.
    If you'd read my post carefully, you'd have seen mention that the original solid caseback was refitted. Thank you for stating the blindingly obvious in your second sentence.

If you'd read my post carefully, you'd have seen mention that the original solid caseback was refitted. Thank you for stating the blindingly obvious in your second sentence.
    You never said "solid caseback" at all...

You said "original caseback" and then went onto attach a picture of the sapphire sandwich with an original caseback.

One would be forgiven for assuming that that was your watch.