closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VW ID.3

Master

VW ID.3

Any interest on here?
    When I saw the camouflaged photos I thought it was going to be a small Polo sized car but having seen the reveal on YouTube at the Frankfurt motor show I’m very much interested in it.
    I short listed a Kia E Nero or Tesla Model 3 as my next taxi because I 100% want to go electric for my next car, but if the pricing suggested for the ID.3 is correct it’s going to blow those two out of the water.

It caught my eye earlier so I am interested to see how it drives and looks in 'flesh'. There is also ID.4/Crozz SUV coming out in a year or two as part of VW 50 billion investment plan in EVs. Exciting times..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Interested! My Up! is 6 yrs next year and mostly used for local driving. An electric car can (logically) be its successor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Interested! My Up! is 6 yrs next year and mostly used for local driving. An electric car can (logically) be its successor.
    There’s an e-UP! coming soon I understand, same battery pack as in the e-Golf, so I reckon real world mileage per charge will be minimum 150 miles. Depends where you drive your car now I guess?

I heard that the E-Up will only be available in Yorkshire.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Close the thread. We're not going to get a better post than this 👻

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    No its Aye-up in Yorkshire!

I would love one
    but the 77kwh one is the one that would satisfy my range anxiety but then it needs 11kw charging minimum so that rules out most of the chargers around here

Also its RWD and has drum brakes at rear...
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 18th October 2019 at 14:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    I would love one
    but the 77kwh one is the one that would satisfy my range anxiety but then it needs 11kw charging minimum so that rules out most of the chargers around here

Also its RWD and has drum brakes at rear...
    EVs are nowhere near as hard on brakes as regular cars, the type of driving they encourage and the regeneration braking see to that. I wouldn’t worry too much, it’s not like they’d stick brakes on it that wouldn’t stop it.

Not sure why you think the ID3 it will only charge at 11kw? The max most people have at home with a dedicated charge point is 7kw, and the 10A 3 pin charger that plugs into any socket is more like 2.2kw.

Perhaps it’s the fact it can charge at 11kw on AC that’s confusing?

The ID3, like the e-Golf and most other modern electric cars, will also DC rapid charge from 40kw up.
    Last edited by Tooks; 18th October 2019 at 17:00.

Be prepared for a wait whatever you order! Been to my local VW dealership and everything is a 4-6 month wait which seems excessive imho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Be prepared for a wait whatever you order! Been to my local VW dealership and everything is a 4-6 month wait which seems excessive imho!

I’m sure I read that while the ID.3 is ready for production now hence the reveal of the actual car not a prototype at Frankfurt, VW are deliberately holding back the release date so that they can stockpile them and so avoid the 12 month waiting list fiasco that Kia have with the E Niro.

Master
    They also want to sell them next year to avoid the worst of the brand wide emissions fines that will be forthcoming if they’re over a certain limit.

The ID3 was never going to be delivered before next summer anyway, the only way to get one by then is to have paid your deposit in readiness for the pre-order window that opens in January where you convert your placeholder deposit to a firm order.

We still don’t know the price of the ID3 1st Edition yet either, which will be the only spec available initially.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

We still don’t know the price of the ID3 1st Edition yet either, which will be the only spec available initially.
    The figure I heard on various YouTube reviews was 26 grand odd for the smallest battery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    The figure I heard on various YouTube reviews was 26 grand odd for the smallest battery.
    That’s for the models coming after the 1st Edition, which should have smaller batteries and smaller price tags.

The 1st Ed will have a 58 kWh battery, and some extra kit, and rumours are saying nearer £35k after the grant.

It’s all speculation though, we’ll find out soon I suppose.

Master
    That’s for the models coming after the 1st Edition, which should have smaller batteries and smaller price tags.

The 1st Ed will have a 58 kWh battery, and some extra kit, and rumours are saying nearer £35k after the grant.

It’s all speculation though, we’ll find out soon I suppose.
    Ah, ok. I didn’t realise that.

EVs are nowhere near as hard on brakes as regular cars, the type of driving they encourage and the regeneration braking see to that. I wouldn’t worry too much, it’s not like they’d stick brakes on it that wouldn’t stop it.

Not sure why you think the ID3 it will only charge at 11kw? The max most people have at home with a dedicated charge point is 7kw, and the 10A 3 pin charger that plugs into any socket is more like 2.2kw.

Perhaps it’s the fact it can charge at 11kw on AC that’s confusing?

The ID3, like the e-Golf and most other modern electric cars, will also DC rapid charge from 40kw up.
    Did some more research - meant to post here but forgot - You are correct: the Long range version can support 11kw AC charging (I suppose via 3 phase installation) but that doesnt mean you can stick your 7kw into it and it will do nothing it will just take longer than the other models to fully charge. Not that you'd need to fully charge for 12 hours all the time on the long range model.
    The mid and low range models can only take 7kw AC charging all models take DC charging at whatever speed they mention.

I’m sure I read that while the ID.3 is ready for production now hence the reveal of the actual car not a prototype at Frankfurt, VW are deliberately holding back the release date so that they can stockpile them and so avoid the 12 month waiting list fiasco that Kia have with the E Niro.
    It’s 4 months wait for a diesel or petrol car. No idea about electric - I’ll leave this expensive early generation stuff to those with deeper pockets than I have. I got over my enthusiastic ‘early adoption’ phase with minidisc and Betamax!!

Master
    It’s 4 months wait for a diesel or petrol car. No idea about electric - I’ll leave this expensive early generation stuff to those with deeper pockets than I have. I got over my enthusiastic ‘early adoption’ phase with minidisc and Betamax!!

The E Niro is 12 months. It surprised me when I heard the waiting time on it, but the salesman said they can’t sell enough of them.
    Zero off the list price too.

The E Niro is 12 months. It surprised me when I heard the waiting time on it, but the salesman said they can’t sell enough of them.
    Zero off the list price too.
    Why would they discount?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Living in North Norfolk I’ve only seen 1 electric charge point! I appreciate it’s the middle of nowhere but until the infrastructure improves all over the uk they won’t be viable as an option imho, no matter how good the cars are. Viable as a daily commuter with something else for longer range travel, but £35k? Not yet imho

Master
    Living in North Norfolk I’ve only seen 1 electric charge point! I appreciate it’s the middle of nowhere but until the infrastructure improves all over the uk they won’t be viable as an option imho, no matter how good the cars are. Viable as a daily
    commuter with something else for longer range travel, but £35k? Not yet imho

A quick search on Zap-Map brings up a fair few charging points scattered all over Norfolk

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Why would they discount?
    Scratch that, you actually can get a discount, but good luck getting one from a main dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    A quick search on Zap-Map brings up a fair few charging points scattered all over Norfolk

Fair enough - I guess my comparison is between south west London, which I moved from nearly 5 years ago and which already had a fair few charging points, to the single charger in Norfolk I’ve seen in my travels. I wouldn’t want to guess how many cars per charger that equates to though!?!

Master
    You’re more likely to have off street parking at home in Norfolk than in SW London though, so the availability of public charging points nearby is largely irrelevant if you can leave the house with a full charge each day. It’s only when doing longer round trips of 200 miles or more that you would need access to a public charger.

Master
    Fair enough - I guess my comparison is between south west London, which I moved from nearly 5 years ago and which already had a fair few charging points, to the single charger in Norfolk I’ve seen in my travels. I wouldn’t want to guess how many cars per charger that equates to though!?!

It’s a fair enough comment, when you’re out and about travelling rather than parked up to shop etc you really want rapid chargers so you can be on your way again in 25-30 mins. On that front, the only one I’m aware of in North Norfolk is a rather old one in Hunstanton. I’ve used it a few times, and it does the job though. I tend to use the Rapids at St James car park in Kings Lynn when en route to/from Norfolk, and there are quite a few in Norwich as well as Swaffham.

Instavolt are about to switch on a new 8 bay rapid charging setup at Necton on the A47, so things are changing.

There are quite a few fast chargers about at pubs/hotels/supermarkets etc, but they’ll take a few hours to charge most cars up, good if you’re there anyway but no good for onward journeys.

The main benefit of an EV if you can do it is to charge every night at home, then in most cases you won’t need to use any public charging at all before you’re home again.

My car is an e-Golf, and it has a realistic all weather range of 125 miles, which more than covers my daily commute. I also use it for longer trips, where I’d be stopping anyway, but just plan things around rapid chargers.

If I couldn’t charge at home though, I wouldn’t have an EV, unless I was only doing very low mileage so I only had to find a charger a couple of times a week.