closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Tissot 'Oyster perpetual'

Master

The Tissot 'Oyster perpetual'

image stolen from hodinkee

80 hour power reserve, silicon spring and a few other nice bits, $775 (not sure we are getting it in the UK yet)

hmm. Remind me again why we all get so wound up over the 5 pointy crown and watches costing ~6 times as much?

article over on hodinkee btw has more details

Journeyman
    Very nice, i like it!

Master
    Polished centre links are awful. The brushed parts look like plastic and what the bloody hell is Silicium?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Remind me again why we all get so wound up over the 5 pointy crown and watches costing ~6 times as much?
    It certainly reminds me why...

I like it, but I don't think that photo shows it in the best light. I suspect it will feel and look much better in the flesh.

It's about time the 'lesser' brands started producing nice and simple three-handers. I bet it's a 45mm case

Master
    Diameter: 40mm
    Thickness: 10.64mm apparently

It's called 'The Gentleman'. Hmm.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sub-seconds markers on a non-chronograph is pointless, IMO.

Journeyman
    The best thing is...no cyclops.....

Craftsman
    It’s on the UK website @ £650 showing out of stock in blue/black, but silver is apparently available.

Nice simple design but polished bezel looks rather large to me.

Master
    It looks lovely but a tad too big for me, 36mm would be ideal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it ,size is perfect for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Sub-seconds markers on a non-chronograph is pointless, IMO.
    Maybe, but it looks nice!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Maybe, but it looks nice!
    It is a nice watch, but it is the sort of minor detail that would irritate and make me move it on.

Blog Entries
    Yup, I saw this on Hodinkee earlier and was going to post about it here.

It's a good looking watch in my opinion. Good for Tissot, taking advantage of the dearth-of-DJ.

PCLs will upset the same people who hate them on Rolex but the market as a whole will like them. It's a DJ/OP for those who just can't get a DJ or OP nowadays (or who can't afford one, but lack of money is the least of problems when it comes to Rolex at the moment).

I note that the quartz (T127.410.11.041.00) is virtually identical to the automatic (T127.407.11.041.00). I could be tempted by the quartz. One might well ask: Why pay over twice the money for an automatic when the quartz gets you the full look of the watch.

Hmm... Personally I think the sub-seconds markers on the automatic look nicer that the seconds markers on the quartz.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th October 2019 at 09:35.

Worth noting they do the exact same watch in quartz (ETA) for significantly less. About £340 on the Tissot website.

Master
    I was surprised by HODINKEE of all people saying they could hardly tell the difference between the Tissot and the Oyster Perpetual, as to me they look so different. A side by side comparison does show they are similar-ish I guess. The problem is, every single difference conspires to make the Tissot less appealing. And that’s not coming from a full time Rolex fan either. While I have owned a few over the years, I’d be the first to criticise many of their choices in the modern era. Perhaps I am biased though and see the proportions that I’m used to as ‘right’ and the deviations as ‘wrong’. Nonetheless, to me they’ve taken the too wide bezel and unfortunate polished centre links from some of the modern DJs, which is to say the worst bits, made it slightly bigger when the OP39 was already slightly too big, and paired it with a dial where every element is slightly worse, from the hands, to the batons, to the minute markers, to the proportion of the type and logo. From other angles than dead on, the differences to the shape are much plainer.

I suppose to a man in the street it might look ‘the same’, but to anyone who cares about watches, and you’d think HODINKEE, the effect is completely different, and not in a good way. At least you can actually buy one I suppose, unlike most Rolex these days.

Perhaps it seems churlish to spoil the fun for anyone who’d enjoy one of these, but that’s how it looks to me. A bit of hunting will find you an actual older model (which is to say, in many cases more appealing) DJ for a reasonable price that looks much like the current DJ36. Admittedly for more money, but not that much more, and I’d be saving the money towards one personally.

Last edited by Itsguy; 17th October 2019 at 09:58.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Hmm... to my mind they are very similar indeed. And I don't see that either one of them is, overall, any nicer looking than the other. They both look pretty damn good.

The crown on the Tissot actually looks better than the one on the OP in the plan view as above, to me. Also the hands on the Tissot are a better shape, to my mind, than on the Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Nonetheless, to me they’ve taken the too wide bezel and unfortunate polished centre links from some of the modern DJs, which is to say the worst bits
    This is a classic WIS view. ;-) I suspect that these are key identification features for the market as a whole. PCLs look all shiny and people notice and recognise them.

As i said above: "PCLs will upset the same people who hate them on Rolex but the market as a whole will like them. It's a DJ/OP for those who just can't get a DJ or OP nowadays (or who can't afford one, but lack of money is the least of problems when it comes to Rolex at the moment)."

paired it with a dial where every element is slightly worse, from the hands, to the batons, to the minute markers, to the proportion of the type and logo.
    [...]
    the effect is completely different, and not in a good way.
    I can only say that it just doesn't seem that way to me. They both seems aesthetically pleasing to me and also seem very similar indeed.

I suppose to a man in the street it might look ‘the same’
    Exactly. Isn't that the overriding point?

You are criticising this watch from a WIS perspective but this is Tissot... it's not exactly a key WIS brand. All the same, I bet we'll be seeing a few of these in SC in the future.

A bit of hunting will find you an actual older model (which is to say, in many cases more appealing) DJ for a reasonable price that looks much like the current DJ36. Admittedly for more money, but not that much more
    Yeah, 'only' three to four times the money of a brand new automatic Tissot! Or six to eight times the price of the quartz Tissot. And, even then, you're still buying a second hand watch.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th October 2019 at 10:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    You are criticising this watch from a WIS perspective but this is Tissot... it's not exactly a key WIS brand. All the same, I bet we'll be seeing a few of these in SC in the future.

Yeah, 'only' three to four times the money of a brand new automatic Tissot! Or six to eight times the price of the quartz Tissot. And, even then, you're still buying a second hand watch.
    I'm perfectly happy to disagree on this one, and hope people enjoy it - I fully admit I am criticising it from the point of view of a fanatic for 3 handers who's obsessed with subtle differences that others couldn't care less about - what else are watch forums for? But I can't help thinking that owners will be wearing it and telling themselves it looks just like the stupidly overpriced Rolex, when what it really looks like is an affordable Tissot Rolex homage. Hopefully a reasonably well put together one at least from a brand with some history, and they could do worse.

It's also true that a pre-owned DJ would cost a not insignificant amount more, and suggesting it as an alternative may sound a bit, 'Let them eat cake!'. You used to find decent ones for <£2k, probably that's harder now, and it isn't a serious option to just buy that instead, it would take some saving up. Nonetheless, to me the older DJ isn't just a 'second hand watch', it's a vintage watch with bags of style and charm. When the Tissot is older, it really will be just a second hand watch, and the money spent on it will be gone. I'd still be saving it towards something other than a Tissot that looks a bit like a Rolex but isn't, but I'm sure plenty of buyers will disagree.

Blog Entries
    I'm perfectly happy to disagree on this one, and hope people enjoy it - I fully admit I am criticising it from the point of view of a fanatic for 3 handers who's obsessed with subtle differences that others couldn't care less about - what else are watch forums for?
    :-)

But I can't help thinking that owners will be wearing it and telling themselves it looks just like the stupidly overpriced Rolex
    And to all intents and purposes I think they'd be right! Yes, even as a WIS I feel I can say that. The fine differences that matter so much to WISs are utterly invisible to the bulk of buyers.

Nonetheless, to me the older DJ isn't just a 'second hand watch', it's a vintage watch with bags of style and charm.
    I know what you mean but that really is a wholly different market.

When the Tissot is older, it really will be just a second hand watch, and the money spent on it will be gone.
    Says a WIS and a Rolex fan. ;-)

There's a whole different market out there that feels differently... or, to be precise, just doesn't care about unobtainables. Just look at eBay. Lots of second hand watches have value.

Nice looking watch for sure, and a good alternative.

Personally think for anyone who wants a DJ or OP39 style watch, but can’t get or can’t afford one, you still can’t go wrong with the Seiko Sarb 033 or 035. Very similar design, case style, sapphire, 100m WR; the aesthetic of the 033 and 035 are very similar to the black and white dial OP39’s respectively. Even though they’re discontinued they are in plentiful supply and can still be picked up new for less than £400.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post

hmm. Remind me again why we all get so wound up over the 5 pointy crown and watches costing ~6 times as much?
    Because a nice as this new watch is, it's still a big name brand with tons of history that really should be doing things their way instead of mimicking the 5 pointy crown and watches costing ~6 times as much. In a world full of Rolex-a-likes it's a shame that Tissot seem to be heading down the Rotary path.

But they done it well and it's a handsome piece.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Because a nice as this new watch is, it's still a big name brand with tons of history that really should be doing things their way instead of mimicking the 5 pointy crown and watches costing ~6 times as much. In a world full of Rolex-a-likes it's a shame that Tissot seem to be heading down the Rotary path.

But they done it well and it's a handsome piece.
    Are they really mimicking? I mean a 3 hander watch with a date function and batons for indices is a fairly standard format for a watch and not something that Rolex own a patent on just because they produce the (supposedly) most desirable watches of that format.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Polished centre links are awful. The brushed parts look like plastic and what the bloody hell is Silicium?!
    dont kno eexactly but i know its in my Sicom ceramic brake discs!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    There's a whole different market out there that feels differently... or, to be precise, just doesn't care about unobtainables. Just look at eBay. Lots of second hand watches have value.
    Yes, to be fair I don't expect it to lose all its value overnight, or depreciate faster than many other brands. For better or worse Rolex and a very few models from other brands are a special case in terms of holding value, or at least not losing it quite so quickly. If one pops up nearly new on SC in a month it will still be worth most of what it was. Over ten years or so though, I suspect the Rolex will have fared better. But who knows, the past is not a guide to the future and they might both end up worthless!

I don't really mean to throw stones at this watch, arguably it's great value for money and makes you wonder why you need to pay more. And yet, the idea that they really are all that similar doesn't quite wash for me, particularly coming from a Hodinkee journalist who isn't the 'man in the street' who can't tell the difference. I know which I'd have in a blind tasting, and I suspect others would too. Having said that, I've already rejected the OP39 for being one mm too large for me, and the OP36 for having less elegant proportions, and the DJ36 for having polished centre links, and the DJ41 for having too wide a bezel, and the DJII for being a DJII. So I suppose I'd have neither, hence the vintage DJ.

Great looking Tissot and a nice size too .

There is no shame anymore. How low will SWATCH go? It is obviously made to look like the other.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Personally think for anyone who wants a DJ or OP39 style watch, but can’t get or can’t afford one, you still can’t go wrong with the Seiko Sarb 033 or 035. Very similar design, case style, sapphire, 100m WR; the aesthetic of the 033 and 035 are very similar to the black and white dial OP39’s respectively. Even though they’re discontinued they are in plentiful supply and can still be picked up new for less than £400.
    Yup, as a Seiko fan I have to agree. Although I think this Tissot looks even more DJ/OP-like than the Seikos.

And Tissot actually have a blue dial version whereas SARB045s are as hard to find as Rolexes. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    There is no shame anymore. How low will SWATCH go? It is obviously made to look like the other.
    Nothing low about that. It's normal business, surely. Lots of watch companies do this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Are they really mimicking? I mean a 3 hander watch with a date function and batons for indices is a fairly standard format for a watch and not something that Rolex own a patent on just because they produce the (supposedly) most desirable watches of that format.
    Exactly, and Tissot claim that it's based on an old watch of theirs from the 1960s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Exactly, and Tissot claim that it's based on an old watch of theirs from the 1960s.
    Come on then Tissot, show us which one ;-)

Come on then Tissot, show us which one ;-)
    I can't answer for Tissot, but Googling "Tissot 1960s" brings up a few candidates like this, for instance. There's not much variation to be had with a round dial, batons, hands and a date window.

https://www.poshtime.com/495.157/Tis...ct-c.1960s.php

Master
    I can't answer for Tissot, but Googling "Tissot 1960s" brings up a few candidates like this, for instance. There's not much variation to be had with a round dial, batons, hands and a date window.

https://www.poshtime.com/495.157/Tis...ct-c.1960s.php
    You're right, change the dial, the date window, the name, the batons, the hands, the bezel, case, lugs, bracelet and polished centre links, and it could almost be the same watch! ;-)

To be honest though, I wouldn't be surprised if they could dig up something that was ripped off from Rolex in previous decades.

Master
    depending on the quality of the bracelet, the quartz model looks good value for money

You're right, change the dial, the date window, the name, the batons, the hands, the bezel, case, lugs, bracelet and polished centre links, and it could almost be the same watch! ;-)

To be honest though, I wouldn't be surprised if they could dig up something that was ripped off from Rolex in previous decades.
    Loads of watches have the precise same layout, in fact it's probably the most common configuration. It's not as if the Tissot is absolutely identical to the Rolex. It's not in the same "homage" ballpark as something like, say, a Steinhart, IMO.

Master
    Loads of watches have the precise same layout, in fact it's probably the most common configuration. It's not as if the Tissot is absolutely identical to the Rolex. It's not in the same "homage" ballpark as something like, say, a Steinhart, IMO.
    Agreed, it's a fairly generic style which is why small details make all the difference. In fact I've argued here that to me it looks very different indeed. And yet... you can see what they're thinking, and as marklondon has pointed out, to the intended market it will clearly be bought as a cheap alternative that looks similar. It's the DJ style bracelet that pushes it over the edge I think, many of their other watches look quite similar already. You don't see those bracelets on their vintage models as far as I know. You can find many a three hander in their history if you're not being too precise about it.

Here's another candidate:

There are actually some lovely vintage Tissots once you start digging, including lots of Seastars.

Agreed, it's a fairly generic style which is why small details make all the difference. In fact I've argued here that to me it looks very different indeed. And yet... you can see what they're thinking, and as marklondon has pointed out, to the intended market it will clearly be bought as a cheap alternative that looks similar. It's the DJ style bracelet that pushes it over the edge I think, many of their other watches look quite similar already. You don't see those bracelets on their vintage models as far as I know. You can find many a three hander in their history if you're not being too precise about it.

Here's another candidate:

There are actually some lovely vintage Tissots once you start digging, including lots of Seastars.
    I agree, the PCLs are a little bit of a bum note for me as well. If anything, to me the "Gentleman" looks more like an Omega PO than any Rolex.

That's a very splendid Seastar.

Master
    I have to admit that this one has won me over. Not in the sense of wanting one, but the specs and price are excellent and there’s a gap in the market for it. It’s a bit of a homage and certainly looks Rolex-ish, but to me it’s still obviously a Tissot and I wouldn’t confuse them, which is a good thing. What I’ve objected to is the idea that it looks exactly like a Rolex, as to me there’s a slightly different flavour - it’s no substitute. What it looks exactly like, is a Tissot Rolex homage.

What’s strange to me though, is that everyone (starting with HODINKEE) says that this is just like an Osyter Perpetual, when it’s clearly a combination of an Oyster Perpetual and a DJ41. It has a date after all, and then there’s the bezel, and the polished centre links (why brands, including Rolex, can’t offer a choice of polished or brushed centre links is beyond me, but that’s another discussion).

What it will all come down to is whether in the metal, it looks cheap or not. In the end, there’s a glaring difference between watches that look expensive and ones that don’t, and very few new watches manage the trick of being cheap and looking expensive, though a few manage the opposite. It’s hard to define, and is probably the sum of a lot of different factors, but when you’re walking round a shop you can just tell at a glance, almost as if the watches are made of some other substance altogether. Love Rolex or hate them, they somehow manage to look expensive. Let’s see if the Tissot does, or if the idea that it looks just like an a Oyster Perpetual / DJ evaporates on contact with the real thing.

NB - Picture not quite to scale, but the Tissot should be quite similar to the DJ41, which isn’t actually 41mm.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 18th October 2019 at 10:31.