closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Great Grandfather's Tudor

My Great Grandfather's Tudor

This watch belonged to Sam Warwick who was my father's maternal grandfather. He lived near Marsden in Yorkshire and worked on the railway. He was presented with it on his retirement in about 1956 after 45 years service.

He died only 7 years later and my Dad who was only about 5 years old at the time was later given the watch, he wore it for a while in the 60's/70's but hasn't worn it since although it's still in working order. As you can see he still has the original box but sadly no documents.

It's tiny by modern standards, only about 32mm diameter with 16mm lug width. It has fixed lugs so would need a one piece strap. Apparently it originally had a two piece leather strap but when that broke my Dad replaced it with a stripey NATO!

I'm posting it today as I've just got myself my very own Tudor watch, which in some way is a tribute to Sam.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Love those applied hour markers, and the hands look great too (though I assume were previously filled?).

Fantastic watch ! If that was mine it ,would be getting a service and some sympathetic restoration and I would be wearing that with pride. Its in really good condition .

I think you can get vintage straps with wrap around ends , these are then fixed together with a type of staple . 16 mm will be a pain in the arse to source but im sure they are available

Craftsman
    Nice vintage watch!

Are the hands filled or you can see through the dial behind?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    If that watch could talk it would say ‘please polish my case with a rouge cloth’.........9ct gold can become very tarnished and a wipe with a rouge cloth works wonders.

I wouldn't expect the hands to be skeleton, possibly they’ve had lume at some point?

I have a Tudor from a similar period and with the identical box. My Grandfather bought it in 1959 leaving it to me when he died in 1964, It too is tiny at 32mm but I do wear it from time to time.I recently got it serviced and it now keeps reasonable time. Definitely worth getting serviced I'd say and then you will be more likely to wear it.

A

Thanks for the nice comments. Just to clarify, I'm not in possession of this, my dad is. He hasn't worn it for well over 40 years and doesn't plan to. I realise that might sound like a shame to some but it's just too tiny and at least is safe and sound in it's box enjoying a long retirement which it's original owner didn't really get!

There is nothing in the hands now, I guess they would have been filled with luminous material of some sort originally, but it's long fallen out.

I do really like the style of the watch with it's sub seconds dial and the style of the numerals is lovely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Fantastic watch ! If that was mine it ,would be getting a service and some sympathetic restoration and I would be wearing that with pride. Its in really good condition .

I think you can get vintage straps with wrap around ends , these are then fixed together with a type of staple . 16 mm will be a pain in the arse to source but im sure they are available
    Look at LBS and Donald Clarke straps on www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk for some open ended in 16 mm size. I'm sure that there are others as well...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Two nice watches there that highlight the changes in fashions.

Very cool story and lovely little watch👍

As others have stated: a sympathetic restoration/clean and an e-mail to Tudor to see if they can give you a steer on the original strap. I'd pay a king's ransom to have a strap made that matched (as close as possible) the original and would keep it in the family.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great story and a fantastic piece of family history.

A fantastic thread, thank you for posting this.

Great story and watch(es). Thanks for posting something worth being proud of and a bit of local history, from just over t’hill on the Calderdale side of the border.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really great thread. Thanks for posting.

Master
    Nice to see such an older Tudor, a lovely piece of your family’s history.

Craftsman
    What a fantastic piece of family history!