closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches on EBay

Craftsman

Watches on EBay

I've noticed a few times on EBay I've followed an auction and then it closes shortly before the auction ends. The watch then gets relisted at a buy it now or best offer. I'm guessing the seller is trying to gauge interest/value in their watch?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Master
    If an item has bids on you have to be careful withdrawing and relisting it. As far as eBays concerned it will/ could have sold, so they often bill you as such.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Yeah or there seeing if it goes above what they actually want, but as it’s not they don’t hit value they want take it off a re-list it! Long gone are the days of eBay bargains

Master
    Maybe got made an offer so they re list so buyer can pay that offered price as a buy it now

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'll put my hand up and say I've done this once for an item I had for sale. It was a double disk unit for a BBC Micro, so fairly rare, but to keep fee's low I started it on a 99p 7 day auction. Received a couple of bids within the first few hours. Then received a message offering a very attractive BIN price. Agreed to end the auction, relist the item as BIN and the buyer followed that process.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    I'll put my hand up and say I've done this once for an item I had for sale. It was a double disk unit for a BBC Micro, so fairly rare, but to keep fee's low I started it on a 99p 7 day auction. Received a couple of bids within the first few hours. Then received a message offering a very attractive BIN price. Agreed to end the auction, relist the item as BIN and the buyer followed that process.
    I have also purchased from eBay sellers in the same way after making an offer.

It generally means they are a dodgy moron who you should avoid in future.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    So the responders above and me as well?

I've done the same when someone offers to buy and sellers have done it for me. No morons involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    So the responders above and me as well?

I've done the same when someone offers to buy and sellers have done it for me. No morons involved.
    Yes I see your point, most probably are not dodgy

Yes I see your point, most probably are not dodgy
    Congratulations! What are you selling?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Congratulations! What are you selling?
    And do you have a Buy It Now price?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    Yeah or there seeing if it goes above what they actually want, but as it’s not they don’t hit value they want take it off a re-list it! Long gone are the days of eBay bargains
    Indeed. Just a month or so ago I won an Ebay auction for a watch that the seller promptly refused to send to me and re-listed, as he wasn't pleased with the final price!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    Indeed. Just a month or so ago I won an Ebay auction for a watch that the seller promptly refused to send to me and re-listed, as he wasn't pleased with the final price!
    Yup, happened to me. Annoyed (substitute more 'forceful' words there) was I. In my case most recently the seller just cancelled the sale after I won the item and would not reply to my messages.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    I hope that you left Negative feedback (and reported them as a Non Performing Seller - https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/r...EFAULT_BUYER)/

Given the size of e-bay and the number of individual transactions there are always going to be problems. I sold a Steinhart and the buyer contacted me and said, Sorry yours is a Mark one, I was after a Mark two. I just cancelled the transaction and relisted. Most people wait for the £1.00 listings, so no real harm done if anything goes wrong, PayPal only get involved if someone pays, so it's easy for people to mess about.

I always list mine as buy it now or make an offfer and usually you can tell who the serious buyers are and can haggle with them accordingly. Auctions are a pain, 6 days 23.5 hours of nothing, then some bidding in the last few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    I'm guessing the seller is trying to gauge interest/value in their watch?
    Or trying to solicit offers outside eBay, to avoid paying commission and fees on the sale of more expensive items. It happens all the time. There's an Australian eBay seller who frequently lists Rolex's, including a James Cameron Sea Dweller, vintage Submariners, Datejusts, Oysterdates, etc., but then regularly pulls the listings (as item allegedly no longer available) and subsequently re-lists them at a later date.

I did flag him up in a couple of other threads for dodgy eBay dealings and abuse, but provided too many of his personal details and Eddie deleted the posts. He is a member on TZ-UK, but his only post (an attempt to antagonize me) has also been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I hope that you left Negative feedback (and reported them as a Non Performing Seller - https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/r...EFAULT_BUYER)/
    The other solution is to get yourself upgraded to eBay's Concierge level membership, which gets you a hotline into eBay Dublin, where you can speak to a real person who understands plain English (unlike their Filipino call center operatives). I did - and succeeded in getting two of that devious Australian seller's other eBay ID's banned.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th October 2019 at 14:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Given the size of e-bay and the number of individual transactions there are always going to be problems. I sold a Steinhart and the buyer contacted me and said, Sorry yours is a Mark one, I was after a Mark two. I just cancelled the transaction and relisted. Most people wait for the £1.00 listings, so no real harm done if anything goes wrong, PayPal only get involved if someone pays, so it's easy for people to mess about.

I always list mine as buy it now or make an offfer and usually you can tell who the serious buyers are and can haggle with them accordingly. Auctions are a pain, 6 days 23.5 hours of nothing, then some bidding in the last few minutes.
    eBay do try and screw you on the £1 listings. If it goes over a month then it's back at full FV fee. I once got asked where I was based. I told the guy just off j25 of the M1. They charged me FV fee saying I'd delt outside of eBay. Despite the watch selling a week later on eBay!

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    eBay do try and screw you on the £1 listings. If it goes over a month then it's back at full FV fee.
    Agreed, but the deal comes around every two to three weeks, so I end all my listings and re-post them. I never relist, just cut and paste from the earlier one because I think they charge you full whack for a relist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Agreed, but the deal comes around every two to three weeks, so I end all my listings and re-post them. I never relist, just cut and paste from the earlier one because I think they charge you full whack for a relist.
    No they don't - as long as you have accepted the £1 Offer then your relisted item will be eligible.
    You can check that this is the case by looking at the total number of listings remaining, that can be used on the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    No they don't - as long as you have accepted the £1 Offer then your relisted item will be eligible.
    You can check that this is the case by looking at the total number of listings remaining, that can be used on the deal.
    Fair enough, I only list one or two items a month, so don't study the T&Cs that closely.

Master
    I have noticed that quite a lot of listings on eBay, including for Rolex watches, include the seller's mobile number. (That's not eBay business sellers - just regular punters.)

It's supposed to be against listing rules, as it obviously invites contact and sale outside eBay, and yet they certainly don't seem to be routinely taken down.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I'm torn. He certainly violated the deal by which he was allowed to post the watch for auction in the first place, but there's no fun in buying a watch from a dissatisfied seller, and giving him negative feedback really wouldn't change anything about the situation. I guess I'm in a bit of a live and let live mood, we'll see.

Craftsman
    I had the same a few days ago, the watch developed a crown issue in between pictures for ebay and packaging up for me.

Not worth getting riled up over it, it's part and parcel of hunting for bargains and i don't begrudge someone not taking a bath on an item.

That escalated quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk