closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor GMT alternative

Tudor GMT alternative

Now I am fan of the Tudor GMT & of Tudor per se (I own a Heritage Chrono) & there have been a few threads on the GMT recently, I didn't want to hijack one of those threads so I thought I'd start my own. I looked at a possible GMT purchase for a while after they came out, however second hand residuals held firm for a good while after release. Then I started to read about the 'issue' with the date & that got me thinking about a possible alternative. I settled on a Squale 30 ATMOS Tropic GMT Ceramica (it has a similar look to the Tudor, which is what I like). For the money, its a cracking watch, ETA 2893-2 movement, the whole thing has a quality feel about it its also made in limited numbers so I am probably less likely to come across someone wearing one of these than if I had have bought the Tudor GMT.

I am not writing off the possibility of owning the Tudor in the future, its just if you look a little left field you can sometimes find some cracking alternatives to what I would call the main stream, where you may not have to pay so much for the brand.

Master
    Fantastic watch, I miss that one. A lot of GMT watch and great quality for the bucks.

Apprentice
    Thats really nice how much did you pick that up for? I got a Tudor GMT in February. Cracking watch, but I was lucky in that I managed to get one by chance from AD.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

What about the zodiac Basel ones. They were very funky/retro cool

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    What about the zodiac Basel ones. They were very funky/retro cool
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...e-gmt-hands-on

I do like the orange/blue bezel, very retro, I also note they use the same ETA movement as the Squale & are just over twice the RRP!

Tudor GMT alternative

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...e-gmt-hands-on

I do like the orange/blue bezel, very retro, I also note they use the same ETA movement as the Squale & are just over twice the RRP!
    The squale is nice but colours seem weird to me

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s very nice indeed,as you say a glance outside the norm often pays dividends.I thought long and hard about my 1521,but glad I bought it,great watch for not much money .

I've been tempted by this recently. Shameless homage, but I really like it.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

I had the Squale Pan Am GMT years ago and really liked it. Prices have risen a lot used though since then.

The Steinhart one is well priced and I would get one before Brexit hits

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I had the Squale Pan Am GMT years ago and really liked it. Prices have risen a lot used though since then.

The Steinhart one is well priced and I would get one before Brexit hits
    Thats a very good shout about getting one before brexit!

With the greatest respect, and knowing that these are great watches in their own right, I do not see them as Tudor GMT alternatives.
    They do not have a true GMT movement, they have an "office" GMT. Which is a different complication altogether.
    They are, in most respects, a hommage, and although the Tudor could also be considered as one, it is actually more different from the Rolex GMT than the Squale and Steinhart are, even though the Tudor has every right to hommage the Rolex, as that was the express intention at the of the founding of the Tudor brand.
    Plus, the Tudor has an in-house movement and occupies a whole different part of the market.
    GMT the Squale and Steinhart are, certainly, but Tudor alternative? Not to my eyes.

I had a good look at the Steinhart range, and I personally think the pick of their GMT offering is the Ocean titanium 500 GMT, and epic value.

D

Master

"Office GMT"

I'd never heard the term "Office GMT", but it makes perfect sense when comparing the functionality vs the "True GMT" (or, less confrontationally, "Traveller's GMT").

The Office GMT is great for tracking timezones of other people (if you are in the UK, but need to know what time it is in the US, for instance).

The Traveller's GMT is great if you frequently travel to other timezones and need to be able to quickly adjust your local time, preferably without adjusting the minutes or hacking the seconds.

So, I guess it depends on what your use case is, as to which functionality is better suited to you.

Here's a great video which illustrates the difference:

https://youtu.be/GNIjbdr2Jjw

Incidentally, the Traveller's GMT functionality isn't the preserve of the likes of Rolex, Omega and Tudor. The Seiko Kinetic GMT watches also have the same adjustable jump hour hand, e.g this rather imposing beast which I recently bought as a diving watch to accompany my GMTII:
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...un065p1-so-657

What’s the difference between a true GMT movement and an office GMT movement?

Edit, just seen the reply above, thanks, I’ll have a look at those links

Master
    just an FYI, if you are after a 'cheap' auto travelers GMT then the Hamilton Broadway GMT LTD edition and Alpina Startimer are about your only options at around the £1000 mark.
    Quartz? Look to Seiko as above.

Neither have particularly nice styling with the Hamilton being more acceptable to my eyes but YMMV.

I've got used to the office GMT even though I travel regularly. Like learning to read a 24hr watch, you can quickly adapt to reading one hour hand for the local time and the GMT for the other timezone, even when in that timezone. Not perfect, but easier than hacking and resetting it if accuracy's your thing. First world problems eh.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    just an FYI, if you are after a 'cheap' auto travelers GMT then the Hamilton Broadway GMT LTD edition and Alpina Startimer are about your only options at around the £1000 mark.
    Quartz? Look to Seiko as above.

Neither have particularly nice styling with the Hamilton being more acceptable to my eyes but YMMV.
    Also the Certina DS Action GMT is a true travellers GMT at about £1k.

I thought the tudor was the "alternative gmt" to.... everything.

BUBI 0_0

I always fancied this alternative, quartz and titanium with perpetual date

BUBI 0_0

Master

Master
    Has there been any official word from Tudor on the date issue? Is it now categorically fixed? Don't think I've read anyone having the issue lately so might indeed be the case.

Master
    Love that Squale, excellent choice👍

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Has there been any official word from Tudor on the date issue? Is it now categorically fixed? Don't think I've read anyone having the issue lately so might indeed be the case.

It was fixed last November, so unless you're unlucky enough to get NOS, you should be fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I'd never heard the term "Office GMT", but it makes perfect sense when comparing the functionality vs the "True GMT" (or, less confrontationally, "Traveller's GMT").

The Office GMT is great for tracking timezones of other people (if you are in the UK, but need to know what time it is in the US, for instance).

The Traveller's GMT is great if you frequently travel to other timezones and need to be able to quickly adjust your local time, preferably without adjusting the minutes or hacking the seconds.

So, I guess it depends on what your use case is, as to which functionality is better suited to you.

Here's a great video which illustrates the difference:

https://youtu.be/GNIjbdr2Jjw

Incidentally, the Traveller's GMT functionality isn't the preserve of the likes of Rolex, Omega and Tudor. The Seiko Kinetic GMT watches also have the same adjustable jump hour hand, e.g this rather imposing beast which I recently bought as a diving watch to accompany my GMTII:
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...un065p1-so-657

Thanks. Nice clear video.

I've just had a look on the Steinhart site at this. Works out around £615, it does look interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I've been tempted by this recently. Shameless homage, but I really like it.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk
    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    I do have a soft spot for those Squales, I do like the colour palatte. They seem pretty hard to find though... That said, not sure I could get over the cyclops.

Master
    I had a good look at the Steinhart range, and I personally think the pick of their GMT offering is the Ocean titanium 500 GMT, and epic value.

D[/QUOTE]

I recently had the opportunity to lay hands on the Steinhart GMT's thinking I may go for the 39mm pepsi but ended up with the 42mm titanium 500 GMT. To my mind it's a perfect holiday watch as it's very comfortable, cheap enough that I don't mind wearing it everywhere and resetting the GMT hand only takes a few seconds. It's not a Tudor but it doesn't try to be.

The Steinhart titanium 500 is a superb watch (not even a homage really) but a word of warning. The titanium bracelet is awful

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The Steinhart titanium 500 is a superb watch (not even a homage really) but a word of warning. The titanium bracelet is awful
    I'm getting on with it fine at the moment, plenty of adjustment and screw links. As it's titanium, I find it really comfortable especially in the heat of North Queensland. What issue do you have with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I'm getting on with it fine at the moment, plenty of adjustment and screw links. As it's titanium, I find it really comfortable especially in the heat of North Queensland. What issue do you have with it?
    It doesn’t feel like titanium. The clasp scuffed up within minutes and the titanium of the bracelet doesn’t match the watch case.

Master
    Fair enough, my only experience of titanium watches was a citizen chrono from 2007 which my son now has. I seem to recall the bracelet on that feeling less substantial than a steel one (with the possible exception of an SKX jubilee). Maybe steinhart have changed the bracelet as the one I'm wearing does match the head quite closely, with the exception of the clasp which does have a matte finish rather than the brushed finish of the rest of it. The clasps on all my watches get scratched pretty quickly anyway.

This on eBay. I have a voucher for 10% off.

Wonder if it's someone from this forum?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323950894493

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves