closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Heuer - Advice needed, please ...

Vintage Heuer - Advice needed, please ...

Folks

I would appreciate some advice on the purchase of a vintage Heuer Montreal Cal 12.

It's for sale via

cda.chronomania.net/forum_entry.php?id=222313

Here's a close up from the sellers site

It's a watch that I have admired for many years, and this one looks really tidy - the radial brushing on the bezel is good - too good ?

I would appreciate any advice or comments on the condition and the price, and any experiuence of the seller (TIM, Time is Money)

Many thanks in advance

Grand Master
    I`m no expert on these, but it's clear that the case has been regrained to a good standard. Can`t comment on the dial, it looks sharp but is it too sharp and possibly refinished?.....or replaced with a genuine new one when they were still available? What we occasionally see thesedays is refinished dials that have aged, and that confuses everyone!

Some movement parts are very difficult to source for these, I fixed a similar movement a couple of years ago and I had to pay a lot for one part, can`t remember what it was but it wasn't cheap!

Obviously the value of the watch will be significantly influenced by the dial, but provided you can establish exactly what you're getting (or rule out what you're not getting) I would still be interested.

Be sure that movement's working correctly and everything does what it's supposed to.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 15th October 2019 at 17:04.

Lovely watch

I've had one of these. Ask for a shot of the serial and model number between the lugs. There was a spate of these a few years ago where some fake cases were used.

No movement shot either, so I'd be after one of those if they can get the caseback off. The inside of the caseback should be stamped as well.

Steve

Grand Master
    Had a look at the pictures on the website, couldn't make my mind up about the dial and hands, the lume looks v. clean to be original.

If I was interested I`d want to ask a few questions regarding the originality of the dial and hands, I like the look of the watch but that doesn`t necessarily equate to it pleasing the purists who dictate the prices of these things.

On a related theme, one of my grail watches has just come up on eBay.

Same as the OP was looking at but the white faced Montreal. Whether I'd be up to spending a tidy sum when I can't physically feel it's heft (and also paying however much HM R&C would deem to add to the purchase cost) is another matter.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153685002335

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

In case the eBay link doesn't work

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Case is immaculate so I would expect that it has been refinished. Perhaps from the likes of Abel or similar.
    Dial doesn’t seem refinished, just in great nick!
    A really nice watch, oozing 70s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a beauty Simon

Was always on my list before I switched to collecting Enicar's.

Steve

My tuppence worth:

Looks to have been re-lumed in the past sometime, done very well so wouldn't bother me personally but hasn't got the patina that others have.
    The pushers are not original - they should be the standard fluted heuer ones? (see https://www.calibre11.com/heuer-montreal/)

The caseback has been machined so no trace of model numbers - again bothers some more that others but at a certain price-point one would want the reassurance of original parts.

Dial looks good and not redone

Compare to a correct original:

Last edited by Xantiagib; 16th October 2019 at 08:44.

I think these were always plain casebacks?

Steve