closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BLNR Bezel & Oyster Bracelet

Craftsman

BLNR Bezel & Oyster Bracelet

I’ve noticed the bezel on my BLNR getting quite resistant to turn, this morning it required a lot more force to move it around, seemed like it was stuck. I’m assuming there is dirt or something stuck beneath it? I plan on running it under a tap and using an old toothbrush on it when I’m home.

I also have a small brush and cleaning pen that I have used on the watch a while ago but didn’t get under the bezel and cannot see anything to cause an issue.

The other thing I noticed is the bracelet feels like it’s gotten a bit looser. Do they need to be adjusted/tightened up?

It’s still in warranty,. I’m assuming I could just give it to an AD and ask them to check it out but don’t want to end up paying for a service as it isn’t due one & it’s keeping time fine. Any suggestions please?

Craftsman
    I heard that dental floss works.

Although I’ve not tried it myself so I’d defer to anybody here with more experience.

Apprentice
    Plenty of washing up liquid and hold it vertical under running tap while rotating the bezel gently. Mine got full of very fine gulf of mexico sand/silt and similarly stuck.

You can get dental floss in the side but not then up and under into the derlon indentations where the grit is, similarly brushing doesn't really do anything. Just lots of gentle flush and rotate until its smooth again.

Washing up liquid on an old toothbrush and rinse under warm water. Probably just gunk inside that needs clearing.

Craftsman
    Will be giving that a try later in the week when I’m back home. Thanks for the responses :)

Master
    How does one take the bezel off anyway? I know its not as simple as the older 5-digit GMTs where the bezel just clicked in - presume the newer ceramic ones don't click in right?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    How does one take the bezel off anyway? I know its not as simple as the older 5-digit GMTs where the bezel just clicked in - presume the newer ceramic ones don't click in right?
    You don't! Apparently removing the bezel on the ceramics wrecks the derlon/nylon base bit that provides the notches when turning the bezel and it's single install only. Not as practical for cleaning as the older models. Bezel removal one for the service centre only is my understanding.

Craftsman
    I won’t even attempt to remove the bezel on my watch, just to clarify that ha

Bezel removal is simple - a couple of sheets of paper between the bezel and lugs to protect the case, and slide in a knife/ razor edge and twist - it will pop off.

It sits on 3x springs with ball bearings on top that reside in holes in the case and press upwards on the bezel - that's why there is some vertical float if you press down on it.

The click spring is another spring in a hole with a ratchet/wedge that engages teeth on the back of the bezel itself.

The ceramic insert is pressed into the bezel, and there is a special tool to stretch or crush the bezel a tiny bit to get the tolerance correct - hence inserts are not easy to change.

The bezel is retained by a white nylon ring of rectangular section - it fits into a groove in the bezel and it mates with a groove machined around the crystal on the case. The ring often needs to be replaced as it's almost always nicked on the crystal on removal. With a new ring fitting is with an adaptor and case press.

If you have anything in there, washing whilst turning and repeatedly pressing up and down will release it. If not, its likely that something was in there and has damaged the ring.

RSC will do this FOC, but you can also buy the rings on ebay - though you often need to try 3 or 4 to get one that's not too tight or loose.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Bezel removal is simple - a couple of sheets of paper between the bezel and lugs to protect the case, and slide in a knife/ razor edge and twist - it will pop off.

It sits on 3x springs with ball bearings on top that reside in holes in the case and press upwards on the bezel - that's why there is some vertical float if you press down on it.

The click spring is another spring in a hole with a ratchet/wedge that engages teeth on the back of the bezel itself.

The ceramic insert is pressed into the bezel, and there is a special tool to stretch or crush the bezel a tiny bit to get the tolerance correct - hence inserts are not easy to change.

The bezel is retained by a white nylon ring of rectangular section - it fits into a groove in the bezel and it mates with a groove machined around the crystal on the case. The ring often needs to be replaced as it's almost always nicked on the crystal on removal. With a new ring fitting is with an adaptor and case press.

If you have anything in there, washing whilst turning and repeatedly pressing up and down will release it. If not, its likely that something was in there and has damaged the ring.

RSC will do this FOC, but you can also buy the rings on ebay - though you often need to try 3 or 4 to get one that's not too tight or loose.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that detailed post. Yup, RSC it is then.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Thanks for that detailed post. Yup, RSC it is then.
    +1. Great description thanks - but as with so many things modern Rolex this just does not smell like a DIY job whatsoever...designed that way on purpose I'm sure

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    I heard that dental floss works.

Although I’ve not tried it myself so I’d defer to anybody here with more experience.
    I have used that (seriously) to clean up a stuck bezel. Worked a treat. Don’t forget to brush after (that bits a joke).

Martyn

Craftsman
    I sadly lack the gentle touch to remove the bezel myself, my brother could do it but something like that I’d rather leave to the professionals.
    Thank you for the detailed post though.
    I’m more useful with a hammer and brute strength, not the approach for working on watches.

I’ll provide an update when I’m back home in a few day’s.