closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waterproof shoes or trainers

Craftsman

Waterproof shoes or trainers

I'm looking for a pair of waterproof shoes or trainers for walking to/from. Work, mostly on paths.

I really want something that looks like a normal shoe or trainer, just with water resist capability. I have hiking boots but they are overkill. I've tried two different pairs of reebok goretex trainers, first tore after 4 weeks and the 2nd(sawtooth 4) is the most uncomfortable trail runner ever. 3 months and it still hurts, so it's not an issue of breaking it in.

I wear brogues or Oxfords to work, but if I can't get a comfortable weather proof pair I'm ok with trainers, but want a pair that look normal, like my new balance but weather resistant, , not a pair that look like I'm heading up everest.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Master
    Clarks do a Gore-tex range that look like normal shoes.
    I have a pair for 7-8 years although worn in rotation & they've held up great.
    They do run a bit hot though, so I only really wear them when its cold.

Salomon xa pro 3d gtx (Gtx = Goretex)

look exactly the same as the normal ones and don't get too sweaty in them

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post

+1. Great trainers.

Master
    Ecco have some decent waterproof ones too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    +1. Great trainers.

Il give them a look, thanks. still look like im going to run up a mountain though!
    I wish new balance, adidas et al done weather resistant versions of their normal runners.

Will also check out clarks and ecco, both are close by.

I have had several pairs of Salomons over the years, including a current pair of these, and Salomon make the comfiest walking boots/trainers I have ever worn.

The waterproofing does not tend to last as long as it does with my Scarpa products, and the Salomon customer service is absolutely awful, but I do still buy them as they are just so comfortable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Il give
    I wish new balance, adidas et al done weather resistant versions of their normal runners.
    I got these Addidas for doing tough mudder this year, ideal.

https://www.adidas.co.uk/terrex-agra...es/AC7655.html

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post

Blurb - “Stay dry and energised in these trail running shoes. Built for rocky, rooted terrain, the waterproof and breathable shoes offer protection and energy return with every stride. A responsive EVA midsole supports your foot for control on uneven ground, while a rugged outsole delivers confident traction in all conditions, wet or dry.”

The most normal looking trainers are Adidas goretex range (special editions). I've got both of these

Worth looking online/ebay if these take your fancy (loads of different colours)

I would take a look at the new Allbirds mizzles.

I've had two pairs of Scarpa Moraine GTX shoes. Rate them really highly. Far prefer them to Salomons I've had before them as they seem to have much better grip. The scarpas I'd recommend for walking on any terrain but too heavy and hard for running in my opinion.

David

Another vote for Salomon GTX.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have had several pairs of Salomons over the years, including a current pair of these, and Salomon make the comfiest walking boots/trainers I have ever worn.

The waterproofing does not tend to last as long as it does with my Scarpa products, and the Salomon customer service is absolutely awful, but I do still buy them as they are just so comfortable.
    Despite being comfortable, I do have a problem with Salomon which will prevent me buying another pair - I don't like their Contagrip, I feel as if I have zero grip in the wet. Much prefer Vibrum.

If the OP wants non techie trainers - the adidas and Ecco suggestions is pretty good. I have the latter in Gortex which are not bad. But I have to say, be careful - wet performance (with Gortex) will vary from brand to brand - it depends where the weak points are. Salomon are better than Ecco for instance, so some trade off.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I Just received a pair of waterproof On running shoes. Not for running, but general walking around. The sole isn't ridiculously grippy so I wouldn't use them for proper hiking (that's what Salomon Speedcross are for!).

Here's a link: https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/exp...oes/waterproof

They are reasonably "normal" looking, when the sole is a dark colour. They are supremely comfortable too.

Try some of the Ecco Street Retro golf shoes.

Super comfortable, short stubby grips aren't really that noticeable on the paths and being spikless shoes are waterproof.

I've had mine about 8 years now.

Various colours.

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acat....html#SID=2132

You might also want to consider using sealskinz socks in normal shoes instead of waterproof shoes
    Just an idea

Grand Master
    One of the problems with a fully waterproof goretex shoe is letting the water out if it does get in. I`ve had this happen when walking in goretex walking shoes, go into a deep puddle that goes over the shoe, water gets in, it can`t get out! Your feet stay wet and squelchy all day if this happens and that's not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I Just received a pair of waterproof On running shoes. Not for running, but general walking around. The sole isn't ridiculously grippy so I wouldn't use them for proper hiking (that's what Salomon Speedcross are for!).

Here's a link: https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/exp...oes/waterproof

They are reasonably "normal" looking, when the sole is a dark colour. They are supremely comfortable too.
    I'd advise getting the Cloud Rock out of the On choices. They have a much better membrain than the Flyer and the Venture. They also offer very good support as they are a mid top.

The Rock was the last shoe I developed and commercialized for On Running.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    The most normal looking trainers are Adidas goretex range (special editions). I've got both of these

Exactly what I have. Getting on for three years worth of wear and the only thing of note is the toe rubber is peeling slightly where it sticks at the instep.

Good solid trainers and definitely waterproof. I think they do Gazelles in GTX as well.

Clarks do these desert boots in GTX:

Also available in black, and they do Wallabees as well.

https://www.thehipstore.co.uk/mens/b...rks-originals/

Il give them a look, thanks. still look like im going to run up a mountain though!

Will also check out clarks and ecco, both are close by.
    If you get the all black ones they don't look too bad and I've been buying a pair year after year for everyday work shoes for ten years in my current job
    they wear out before the waterproofing does - I just get a new pair every year with my work's clothing allowance.

the insoles are so confortable, the contragrip are ok for working conditions i've never testing them trail running - though on a recent trip trekking in Iceland they were fine
    ony weird thing is on the GTX ones I have to buy half a size more than the non-gtx

(anything that is not natural rubber sole will not grip on wet smooth surfaces)

A possibility is using Gtechniq I1 smart fabric which is designed for convertible fabric roof protection but is also used for trainers, handbags etc. Crep Protect is similar but not as long lasting as Gtechniq.

I am yet to buy some for my Adidas Gazelle as currently coated with Clarks protectant which I think is not really doing anything.

Craftsman
    Looking at these:

https://www.columbia.com/mens-backpe...e-1843631.html

A friend has a pair and said they are comfortable & relatively durable. should be more than enough for a wet walk to work.
    Ive used OutDry in the past and its without doubt the best breathable waterproof material, blows goretex out of the water (pun intended)

Craftsman

Geox

I'm currently wearing this range from Geox - Amphibiox. They look the same as regular shoes and I found them really comfortable.

https://www.geox.com/en-GB/man/shoes/amphibiox/

the only weird thing is on the GTX ones I have to buy half a size more than the non-gtx
    ^^^
    I have only ever owned the GTX versions of Salomon footwear and 100% agree with this.
    Go a half-size larger than you usually wear and ideally try them on beforehand if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

How is the sizing on the TrimTrab GTX?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I would say about half a size smaller. I'm an 8 normally in Adidas but these are a bit more snug although still fit fine to be honest (I do sometimes buy 7.5 in Adidas when available, definitely in Keglers)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Those Trimm Trabs are lovely! Also not available now either, outside finding a pair on ebay at a crazy price. pity. Good to know they exist though.

Those Trimm Trabs are lovely! Also not available now either, outside finding a pair on ebay at a crazy price. pity. Good to know they exist though.
    I was very lucky when I got mine. They'd been sold out for a while (possibly even a year) and I found them on a cached Size? web page. Took a gamble, ordered and to my shock/surprise they came in (both the trimms and Kegler)

Even the lad at the store when I collected was stunned saying he'd not seen them for a long time.

I know they come up now and again although not sure of the prices etc so apologies if no good - but the standard originals goretex trainers are great when released.

Hello

Aku have some nice ones at Alpinetrek.

sensible work shoes the XA pros are....

I've also had the XA Lite GTX ones in the past too but the insole was not as confortable and they wore a bit narrower, I have wide feet with a larger instep on the right foot... have to get half a size larger

no i do not work for salomon but have history of family owned shoe shop businesses
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 16th October 2019 at 10:57.

Craftsman
    sensible work shoes

I don't work in the mountains!

Absolutely these. Had them as a commuter shoe for the past year, and recently went for a trail run in them - faultless. Make sure you buy a size up. Don't even think, just do it.

Did you have a look at the new Allbirds mizzle range? Same as their standard trainer but waterproof.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I'd advise getting the Cloud Rock out of the On choices. They have a much better membrain than the Flyer and the Venture. They also offer very good support as they are a mid top.

The Rock was the last shoe I developed and commercialized for On Running.
    Was just looking at the rocks myself! Thanks for the recommendation, again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adidas Stan Smith GTX are the way to go - I also scotchguard them to keep them white.

Craftsman
    going with the columbia backpedal outdry. will update when i have them a few weeks, just to close off the thread.

Master
    ASICS Men's Gel-Sonoma 4 G-tx

The most comfy trainers I've ever had

going with the columbia backpedal outdry. will update when i have them a few weeks, just to close off the thread.

OutDry is a rapidly growing and effective system in the industry, so you should be fine with these for water resistance. My only slight concern would be that you only have an EVA outsole. You would generally have an EVA midsole and PU outsole.
    Where EVA outsole can offer good purchase, it has a tendency to wear down quicker as it has a higher abrasion rate.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 16th October 2019 at 20:40.

Neither do I ! but wearing the salomons I can walk for hours and hours and be on my feet all day and not have any issues...
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 16th October 2019 at 12:11.

Clarks make loads of those these days, see here :

https://www.clarks.co.uk/Technologies/Gore-Tex/c/314

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post

I bought a pair of these in January and they're really excellent. I've walked hundreds of miles in them and I can't fault them. I've nearly walked through the sole so will be ordering an new pair soon.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Try some of the Ecco Street Retro golf shoes.

Super comfortable, short stubby grips aren't really that noticeable on the paths and being spikless shoes are waterproof.

I've had mine about 8 years now.

Various colours.

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acat....html#SID=2132

I fully endorse this suggestion.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

North face hedgehog

Craftsman

Adidas Swift Terrex

I’ve had a couple of pairs of these, they come in a variety of colours and are comfy & waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    I’ve had a couple of pairs of these, they come in a variety of colours and are comfy & waterproof.
    I have a pair of them in the boot format and have to agree - I've absolutely pounded them and they keep coming back for more.
    Comfy, warm and... the grip! Im glad l bought them.

Journeyman

I like Salewa,Arcteryx,Lowa and Adidas Gore tex shoes

Personally not a fan of Salomon XAs,they’re not that comfy for pounding asphalt/concrete,in fact I had them on when I sprained my ankle back in late 2015

Since I live in the tropics,I often wear the non GTX version of Arcteryx acrux,at least I don’t look like mountainman visiting a shopping mall

IMG_6408.JPG

I also have non gtx version of salewa trektrail in all black

Previously I often wear an older asics gore tex (cumulus and GT1000) and I have their gore tex leather shoes that I rarely wear as I don’t really dress up to work...

Edit: I think tapatalk reduced my attachment quality all the way to make it blurry...
    Last edited by synequano; 18th October 2019 at 21:43.

Journeyman
    recently got a pair of Soloman Speedcross. love them