closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: El Primero 21

Craftsman

El Primero 21

I've been tempted by one of these since they were first announced and am now potentially in a position to get one. Just wanting a bit of forum wisdom really, I see there are plenty for sale on Chrono24 with a shop in Estonia advertising them for £7k which seems quite a bit cheaper than the average UK broker price. Perhaps it might make sense to get one before we exit the EU. Has anyone got one/owned one and how does it hold up in terms of secondhand market. I'm not expecting Rolex residuals but wouldn't want to take a complete bath on it if I wanted to resell it. How is reliability on them as it is quite a complex watch? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I got my defy 21 around 6 months ago from a Chrono24 seller, I paid over £7k (blue version on a bracelet, normally more than the grey dial) and it came with a stamped book with a full warranty. I love the watch and it is my daily, it did develop a fault where the minute counter would not move unless nudged so it went back to Zenith to get fixed. Since I got it back it has worked perfectly. I would make sure the one you are getting comes with a fully warranty for peace of mind. I got mine from a UK based seller and the watch came from a Italian AD.

Residual wise is a tricky one, I do not believe the watch will have a massive 2nd hand market. Realistically maybe £6k 2nd hand if people do not want to take the risk of Chrono24 and do no want to pay a dealer the RRP but maybe less, I know Martyn sold his on here but that was without a bracelet and the grey version for around £5k, cant remember the amount exactly.

Saying all of that I still would have got it, I just love how it looks and I have always had a soft spot for skeleton watches, its different and I like that. I got it with the plan to keep it for 4-5 years so residuals are not a huge issue. If you are not 100% with the watch then its a risky one to buy if you come to sell it quickly.

Just had a look on C24 prices are higher than when I got mine, most on a bracelet within the EU are now above £7.5k with UK based over £8k so maybe 2nd hand values will not be as low as 6

Craftsman
    Very nice choice, certainly will stand out from the usual. Is 44mm ok for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I had a deft 21 for a while. Great piece and being Ti not over bearing. Don’t buy at MRP. Does not hold value greatly but superb engineering. I had to sell mine cheap to fund something else - but temped by the new Zenith Defy Inventor - a crazy piece.

I have made a mental note to self : don’t buy anything that I won’t hold of for five years. Trying to kill my flipitis illness that I have suffered from for last 2 years.

if you are looking for something unusual- try the defy range.

the defy at 44mm is as large as I can handle - I think I did a review if you want to take a look??

The service from Zenith is excellent - they got the warranty card stamped for me that came from the second hand dealer - just for peace of mind.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th October 2019 at 15:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Very nice choice, certainly will stand out from the usual. Is 44mm ok for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is the big question for me, I don't normally get on with big watches due to having a relatively small wrist. That said a panarai Radomir was one of the watches which fitted perfectly due to the way the lugs work. Looking at youtube videos it looks like this might be a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I had a deft 21 for a while. Great piece and being Ti not over bearing. Don’t buy at MRP. Does not hold value greatly but superb engineering. I had to sell mine cheap to fund something else - but temped by the new Zenith Defy Inventor - a crazy piece.

I have made a mental note to self : don’t buy anything that I won’t hold of for five years. Trying to kill my flipitis illness that I have suffered from for last 2 years.

if you are looking for something unusual- try the defy range.

the defy at 44mm is as large as I can handle - I think I did a review if you want to take a look??

The service from Zenith is excellent - they got the warranty card stamped for me that came from the second hand dealer - just for peace of mind.

Martyn.
    I did look at your review thank you - very informative and some great pictures. I've had my Rolex for 5 years so don't change very often anymore and yes it's the engineering which interests me, the movement looks fascinating.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I got my defy 21 around 6 months ago from a Chrono24 seller, I paid over £7k (blue version on a bracelet, normally more than the grey dial) and it came with a stamped book with a full warranty. I love the watch and it is my daily, it did develop a fault where the minute counter would not move unless nudged so it went back to Zenith to get fixed. Since I got it back it has worked perfectly. I would make sure the one you are getting comes with a fully warranty for peace of mind. I got mine from a UK based seller and the watch came from a Italian AD.

Residual wise is a tricky one, I do not believe the watch will have a massive 2nd hand market. Realistically maybe £6k 2nd hand if people do not want to take the risk of Chrono24 and do no want to pay a dealer the RRP but maybe less, I know Martyn sold his on here but that was without a bracelet and the grey version for around £5k, cant remember the amount exactly.

Saying all of that I still would have got it, I just love how it looks and I have always had a soft spot for skeleton watches, its different and I like that. I got it with the plan to keep it for 4-5 years so residuals are not a huge issue. If you are not 100% with the watch then its a risky one to buy if you come to sell it quickly.
    How do you find the bracelet vs the strap, did you try them both? Is there a good amount of adjustment in the bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by jjgreenwood View Post
    How do you find the bracelet vs the strap, did you try them both? Is there a good amount of adjustment in the bracelet?
    I only got the bracelet so cant comment on the strap but I have heard that the strap clasp can rub and cause some discomfort but this can be solved by swapped the strap around.

The bracelet is very comfortable, but does have limited adjustments you only have 1 sized links and no 1/2 links also the clasp has no micro adjustment, so it could be pot luck if you can get it to fit right. Mine fits nice (over summer), I have it a little loose and it is comfortable, it does feel a little loose now its colder but not sure it justifies taking another link out. It wears much smaller than a 44mm watch and I also have small wrists. It is very light which also helps.

The bracelet has picked up a few marks but nothing worse the SS.

Craftsman
    Fantastic watch and i love mine. I bought it on the bracelet and with all links in place it fits nice on my wrist. Easy to read in most lights unlike some skeleton watches. I have both a rubber strap and a leather strap for it including the titanium deployant( very expensive), all of which are still unwrapped as they are too small for my larger wrist but im told they are comfortable as well. No easy adjustment on the bracelet which could be annoying for some.