closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used car conundrum

Master

Used car conundrum

I’ve been looking at a couple of cars 1 a year old Volvo v40 the other a 2 1/2 year old Honda Civic both top of the range same mileage similar price Honda has a lot more toys and is has a lot more room but the Volvo is a year and a half newer both have 1.5 petrols which similar performance

I know it’s not as interesting as merc amg v m3 but what are your opinions on the best car to buy

Master
    I have had Volvos for the last 12 years and swear by them, also have owned a Volvo v40 se lux nav in old money 2ltr. Great car to drive, found it spacious and practical for my daily 25 mile commute.

Assuming you have test driven both, I would go for the one which was more comfortable and easier to drive.

Usually one make will have different feel on the steering, clutch and gearbox etc.

1.5 years difference is nothing, I have a 2006 car and my old man has a 2004 and neither show age or rust and they are lesser makes than the ones you are looking at.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've had eight Civics over the years - by far the most of any car model I've owned - and I love them. If you want a reliable car, they just work. And keep on working!

But I completely agree with the comment about driving both and deciding then.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

The Volvo looks more interesting if that's any help, but echo the sentiments about Honda reliability.

Isn't a Mazda 3 a similar size? Might be worth investigating?

I prefer the look of the V40 but would seriously consider the Civic too. My V50 has been a delight to own and I am a fan of the understated Scandinavian design but I have memories of the build quality of the Civic that my partners mother drove us around in when I visited the US recently. It was probably a similar age to the one you are considering and the edgy angles and lines didn't look as edgy in real life.

Master
    I forgot to add that although the v 40 is a good car the design dates from 2012 and the civic is the 2017 new shape

Blog Entries
    The newer one every time.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My wife had a Volvo before she got her Toyota. Never again. The servicing costs on the Volvo to massive compared with the Prius. Insurance and tax were also higher.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Having driven both, I'd go for the Civic as long as it is the sport plus or prestige.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Having driven both, I'd go for the Civic as long as it is the sport plus or prestige.
    It is the prestige

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    It is the prestige
    Buy it!

The Civic would win hands down on this occasion!

Civic - hold their money better too IMO

Civic for me, my 1.8 Type S is brilliant. Never had any issues. The engines are very reliable.

I'd agree with the comment below about driving them first to get a feel for them. Volvo's brand image is on the up according to a lot of influencers which might help with the re-sale, but likely the difference will be negligible.

Go with whatever you feel best when driving :)

Craftsman
    Long term civic.
    Sort term Lease Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app