closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Seamasters

Vintage Seamasters

Another favourite vintage Omega reference of mine is the 1960’s Seamaster ref 14389 (or 14390 with a centre sweep). Again, lots of dial variants, the wonderfully robust cal 269 manual wind movement, angular lugs and a very wearable 35.5mm case. I’d like to add a black dial at some point to the quartet of peachy dials that I currently have.

14389-9

Wonderful Explorer dial

14389 alpha hand

14390-6 alpha hand (cal 285)

The alpha hands together...peachy dials

All four...

Craftsman
    All very nice but love the Explorer dial.

Grand Master
    They are nice, I’ve got one on the bench at the moment awaiting parts, a rose- gold capped version dating from ca1962. I think they were produced from mid 50s to around 62/63. Fashions changed in favour of the slimmer Seamaster 600 with the 601 movement, slim watches with shorter lugs became more popular and by the late 60s the Seamaster 30 looked distinctly dated.

Years ago I had a gold- capped version with original black dial, I let it go but on reflection maybe I should’ve kept it.

Nice sub-collection there John. Think I like the first one best.

Craftsman
    Beautiful detail thank you

Apprentice
    Great shots of a beautiful collection.

Craftsman
    Love those alphas. Can’t decide which I like best so I can see why you’ve got both.

How often if ever do they get worn?

Nice collection I have a seamaster 30 which is away for service at the moment.
    I have been wearing my 50s auto this weekend

Craftsman
    I love these, except that the cal 564 and 751 (to a lesser extent) do it for me:

Some stunning Omega seamasters there , very nice indeed . Thank you for posting

Really timeless design on the Seamasters. The only think from the era that holds a torch are the pie pan Constellations.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Really timeless design on the Seamasters. The only think from the era that holds a torch are the pie pan Constellations.
    I had a pie pan, my first nice watch. Another regret of mine letting it go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Another shot, two same, one different.

Nice quartet! All winners but I think the explorer dial just shades it for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post

Another shot, two same, one different.
    All three are quite hard to find too! I also have the 166.032 on the correct bracelet. Can`t remember the reference for the one on the right, I`ve serviced one in the past, but that's the only time I`ve come across one, it's v. similar to the Rolex Datejust case.

All three date from late 60s/early 70s, Omega were at the top of their game!

Craftsman

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    All three are quite hard to find too! I also have the 166.032 on the correct bracelet. Can`t remember the reference for the one on the right, I`ve serviced one in the past, but that's the only time I`ve come across one, it's v. similar to the Rolex Datejust case.

All three date from late 60s/early 70s, Omega were at the top of their game!
    The references for the chronometers from left to right are: 168.022, 168.035 and 168.024

I'm currently looking myself for unmolested 524 end-links (someone has filed mine. In case anyone is wondering, for the fat 36,5mm the bracelets are as follows:
    1098 540
    1125 560
    1069 524
    1068 556 (uncertain)
    1067 532 (uncertain)
    1172 538 (uncertain)

Those that I have marked uncertain I haven't witnessed myself. The 168.035 takes the 1170 bracelet, but can't remember the endlinks. Perhaps 604? The 168.024 takes any of the BoR bracelets that fits 511 or 11 end links.

I have few extra bracelets stored in case I ever come across a de ville chronograph that I can add to my collection.

Grand Master
    Your 168.022 is the chronometer version which is quite rare. I have the non-chronometer cal 752 version with gold hands and indices, case reference in the back of mine is 168.023 and 166.032. I would ‘ve expected the chronometer version to be the identical case ref, but possibly all ‘date only’ versions used this reference? This may be the answer, the day/date 751/752 movements are slightly deeper.

My watch came without a bracelet (1069/524), I was lucky to find one on eBay in excellent refinished condition in 2004........and it was cheap too!

These watches have been under-appreciated for years, it wasn’t long ago that non- chronometer versions could be bought easily for under £200. That’s all changed and prices have risen very significantly for the good examples.

Likewise with the C-case Constellations, they’re now fetching much stronger money than they did 5 years ago.

Late 60s/ early 70s was Omega’s best years in my view, lots of variety at different price points, good build quality, and an excellent range of in- house movements that stand up to wear and tear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Your 168.022 is the chronometer version which is quite rare. I have the non-chronometer cal 752 version with gold hands and indices, case reference in the back of mine is 168.023 and 166.032. I would ‘ve expected the chronometer version to be the identical case ref, but possibly all ‘date only’ versions used this reference? This may be the answer, the day/date 751/752 movements are slightly deeper.

My watch came without a bracelet (1069/524), I was lucky to find one on eBay in excellent refinished condition in 2004........and it was cheap too!

These watches have been under-appreciated for years, it wasn’t long ago that non- chronometer versions could be bought easily for under £200. That’s all changed and prices have risen very significantly for the good examples.

Likewise with the C-case Constellations, they’re now fetching much stronger money than they did 5 years ago.

Late 60s/ early 70s was Omega’s best years in my view, lots of variety at different price points, good build quality, and an excellent range of in- house movements that stand up to wear and tear.

I think you are correct and I got confused, I have a 751 in the other pic and a 564 in the other. The ref of 751 is 168.023 as you correctly state and the cal 564 is 168.022.

I have a Linen Dial C-case constellation getting cleaned and repaired and can't wait to get my hands on it once it is done. The deals are getting rarer by the day and I think you can expect to pay between 400 - 1200 for any reference (even non-chronometer) depending on the condition. One thing I have found that despite the bracelets being beautiful, they are kind of flimsy. I prefer most of them on leather despite hoarding the bracelets.

Grand Master
    True, the bracelets seem flimsy by comparison with the modern offerings, but the quality of the metal was good and they last well. I also find the old bracelets to be more comfortable than some modern ones. In the 60s bracelets were made to be light and easy to wear, thesedays it’s different and people confuse weight with quality, if the bracelet isn’t solid folks aren’t happy.

One problem with the beads of rice bracelets is cracking of the outer sections of the links, the fixed pins corrode and can cause the metal to crack.

I wear some watches on leather straps but usually I prefer the original bracelets. The exception is the Omega Dynamic (early style) where I think the design works far better on a leather strap.