closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Automatic watch under £1000

Apprentice

Automatic watch under £1000

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've been collecting watches now for about six months. My current collection includes seiko, tissot, bulova, orient and hamilton. I've got a budget of £1000 for a new purchase in the used market and am looking for recommendations. I've been looking at the sinn 556, oris aquis, oris propilot and the monta triumph. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Out of your list, I'd probably go for an Oris Aquis of some sort. You could also save yourself some cash by looking at Steinhart. Hard to beat for the money.

I spent years trying to persuade myself to buy a 556 but something always got the way. Probably the price. I now find the similar Chr Ward more attractive, especially since their recently giving the design a little tweak.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    Out of your list, I'd probably go for an Oris Aquis of some sort. You could also save yourself some cash by looking at Steinhart. Hard to beat for the money.
    Thanks for the reply. Had been looking at the steinhart titanium, but was told that it was a bit of a scratch magnet.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I spent years trying to persuade myself to buy a 556 but something always got the way. Probably the price. I now find the similar Chr Ward more attractive, especially since their recently giving the design a little tweak.
    Thanks for the reply. What is the model name of the christopher ward? I looked at the trident pro 600, but I prefer the build quality of the oris aquis.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz2908 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Had been looking at the steinhart titanium, but was told that it was a bit of a scratch magnet.
    Yes Titanium does mark relatively easily.

Thanks for the reply. What is the model name of the christopher ward? I looked at the trident pro 600, but I prefer the build quality of the oris aquis.
    The C65 Trident Vintage Mk II, £795 (though of course finding a £100 off voucher should be no bother)

https://media.christopherward.co.uk/...b0_laydown.jpg

I've never had an Oris, but I remember being very impressed by the build quality of one of their divers

Master
    I had one of the Oris small seconds dive models. Bought brand new but long gone. I was disappointed to find that the crown felt quite flimsy whenever I needed to adjust the time or date. More annoying still was the accuracy. Even after being sent back to Oris it was still gaining around 15 seconds a day. I expected better at that price point.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I had one of the Oris small seconds dive models. Bought brand new but long gone. I was disappointed to find that the crown felt quite flimsy whenever I needed to adjust the time or date. More annoying still was the accuracy. Even after being sent back to Oris it was still gaining around 15 seconds a day. I expected better at that price point.
    Food for thought. Thanks.

Master
    Food for thought. Thanks.

Wasn’t wanting to turn you from the brand. Mine was probably a lemon. More people will say they’re perfectly happy with their Oris watches. I had a couple of their Big Crown models many years ago now and they were reliable.

Craftsman
    I’ve had an oris Big crown. The crown actually drove me mad and kept irritating my wrist. Other than that it was an excellent watch.

In the sub 1k category with plenty of change to spare, what about a longines conquest?

Blog Entries
    Probably not the advice you want to hear, but if I was you I would wait until I could put a little bit more towards a Seamaster 300 or something similar.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    I’ve had an oris Big crown. The crown actually drove me mad and kept irritating my wrist. Other than that it was an excellent watch.

In the sub 1k category with plenty of change to spare, what about a longines conquest?
    Was that the 41mm or 45mm? How was the build quality? What does everybody think of the Oris Williams F1, tried one on today but feel I might take a bath if I ever wanted to sell it on.

Craftsman
    I can’t recall the size, I think the problem was it wasn’t overly chunky so I really noticed the crown. I often wear a 45.5 PO so I don’t think it was a size issue.

You’re going to end up taking a bath on any oris or equivalent brand at retail. Wait for Black Friday Chisholm hunter did 20% off last year I think.

Automatic watch under £1000

Longines Legend Diver would be top of my list.

one these £995