closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Rolex Airking servicing by RSC

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    28

    Rolex Airking servicing by RSC

    Wondering if anyone can please help.

    I have a very old Airking that belonged to my grandfather. It's in pretty bad condition and I want it servicing by Rolex here in the UK. I'm not interested in using independents and will keep the original dial and hands (have done this before for my father's 6694).

    The issue with the Airking is that the area between the lugs is heavily pitted and also worn, so the serial no. has completely worn away. Even using a loupe you can't see any numbering.

    Will Rolex service this watch without a visible serial number? I still have the original box (he kept cigarettes in it!) but no papers.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,741
    Why the reluctance to use independents?

    William Rice is over at Beverley, heís Rolex accredited, what ge doesnít know about fixing Rolex models isnít worth knowing.

    If it was mine Iíd take it over to him and discuss the job, heís a very friendly character and Iím sure heíd sort it out.............but if you want to send it to RSC and deal at distance with a faceless organisation thatís up to you.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    374
    William rice is not authorised, he lost that.

    Shame you have not got papers, I would send it in anyway. Worst case you get it back without anything done I can't see them keeping it as it's not been erased.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why the reluctance to use independents?

    William Rice is over at Beverley, heís Rolex accredited, what ge doesnít know about fixing Rolex models isnít worth knowing.

    If it was mine Iíd take it over to him and discuss the job, heís a very friendly character and Iím sure heíd sort it out.............but if you want to send it to RSC and deal at distance with a faceless organisation thatís up to you.
    I've used independents before (recommended here and elsewhere) and ended up with scratched dials, broken hands and scratched crystals (on the inside!). Rolex aren't perfect but they made the watch so makes sense to me. It's not a milsub so would rather the peace of mind.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    William rice is not authorised, he lost that.

    Shame you have not got papers, I would send it in anyway. Worst case you get it back without anything done I can't see them keeping it as it's not been erased.
    Thank you yes, will send it in anyway and maybe give them a call.

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    374
    That's the best thing, it is easy to remove essential things from a service list on vintage items if you call up and just be honest and nice.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    That's the best thing, it is easy to remove essential things from a service list on vintage items if you call up and just be honest and nice.
    That's what I found with my father's 6694.

    They wanted to swap the dial and hands I said no it's an heirloom and wanted to keep the history.

    They were very understanding over the phone and in the end I went with the swap and they sent the original dial and hands in a small Rolex case.

  8. #8
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,741
    Didnít know Bill Rice was no longer an authorised repairer.

    As for the OPs aversion to independents, itís totally illogical to tar them all with the same brush.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Didnít know Bill Rice was no longer an authorised repairer.

    As for the OPs aversion to independents, itís totally illogical to tar them all with the same brush.
    My point is even those recommended here and elsewhere have wrecked my watches. How am I supposed to choose? It's always a risk compared to going back to Rolex....the very guys who made the watch.

    Not sure why you're incapable of grasping this very simple concept.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. OdiŠxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    7,603
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassette View Post
    My point is even those recommended here and elsewhere have wrecked my watches. How am I supposed to choose? It's always a risk compared to going back to Rolex....the very guys who made the watch.

    Not sure why you're incapable of grasping this very simple concept.
    Can you post your experiences on H&V your good and bad experiences of service. I see you have recent join date and a low post count. I guess you are aware some of the repairers are forum members? I think they would appreciate your feedback.

  11. #11
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassette View Post

    Not sure why you're incapable of grasping this very simple concept.
    Don’t be so patronising and sarcastic.

    OK, you’ve had a bad experience with someone, but it makes no sense to tar everyone with the same brush. I’ve personally fixed around 350 watches over the past few years, I can list the number of returns on the fingers of one hand, and I’ve taken some v. challenging jobs on that have been rejected by other repairers. Don’t include me in your generalisation, you imply that all independents work badly and I’m not accepting that.

    I think I know a little more about what’s involved with sorting a watch out than you, I also know what can go wrong, and I know that a small minority of owners have unrealistic expectations.

    Clearly, some repairers in the past haven’t covered themselves in glory. There’s also the risk that a job can occasionally go badly (usually with good reason). However, poor work can also come out of the Service Centres run by the big brands, I bought a watch freshly serviced by Rolex service centre and it gained 10 secs/day because it hadn’t been regulated carefully, I’ve seen refinishing work by Swatch Service Centre on Omega SMPs that’s poor, it happens.

    Stick your old Rolex where the sun don’t shine if it pleases you, do what you want with it, but if it was mine it would be going to a Rolex independent........but what do I know.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,883
    Whilst I entirely agree with Paul (walkerwek1958), I think the OP is trying to say that he is unable to distinguish the good independent watchmakers from the not so good and has had his fingers burnt in the past. He could have been a bit more tactful though.

    Were I in his position I think I would take the “safe” route and send it to the manufacturers Service Centre.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 13th October 2019 at 19:42.

  13. #13
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,741
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Whilst I entirely agree with Paul, I think the OP is trying to say that he is unable to distinguish the good independent watchmakers from the not so good and has had his fingers burnt in the past. He wasnít very tactful though.

    Were I in his position I think I would take the ďsafeĒ route and send it to the manufacturers Service Centre.
    Agreed.

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    191
    There is no need for the rudeness of the OP. He got very good advice from an expert who can from my own experience knows what he is talking about. By joining a watch forum like TZ you can learn a lot and save a lot.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    There is no need for the rudeness of the OP. He got very good advice from an expert who can from my own experience knows what he is talking about. By joining a watch forum like TZ you can learn a lot and save a lot.
    He called me illogical and deserved what he got.

    This forum is horrible! I tolerated Watchuseek until the know-it-alls appeared....this place is full of hypocrites. You patronise and then can't take your own medicine.

    I'm done with this forum. Carry on being aholes to each...i won't be back!

    Ps have a read about Tz's online reputation. Well deserved......

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post


    Stick your old Rolex where the sun donít shine if it pleases you, do what you want with it, but if it was mine it would be going to a Rolex independent........but what do I know.
    Classy! Keyboard warrior. I know where I'll stick it....how's your wife? I don't give a damn what you'd do. I didn't ask that - you just stuck your nose it. Twt.

  17. #17
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,433
    Kassette has left the building.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,185
    He needed reeling in and then he lost his head.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,741
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    He needed reeling in and then he lost his head.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


    C60 seconds worth of his drivel and you just know he'll get wound up easily.......maybe we'll all miss his magnetic personality.

    Poor performance from a professional.........maybe he only behaves like this 'off the record'?

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,185
    Should've used magnetic - Doh!

    His mouth has effectively been taped.....

    I'm out....

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,741
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Should've used magnetic - Doh!

    His mouth has effectively been taped.....

    I'm out....

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    I`m out too.....this is getting silly......you could say Eddie's put him on the deck!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •