closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First proper day out in a Barbour

I have two Barbours, a 14 year old International and a 5 year old Beaufort. I re-wax both of them myself every 12-18 months. I also have several Goretex jackets including offerings from The North Face and Arcteryx.

If I’m walking the dog over the fields, then it’s the Beaufort. The International is fine around town in bars or for work and the Arcteryx for wet weather walking of if I need something like because I’m moving fast and light.

Barbours use basic waterproofing technology i.e. a wax which repels water. The fabric is thick, heavy, thornproof, can be cold and isn’t breathable. Goretex is light and very waterproof if you look after it. I spoke to an Arcteryx tech rep who said their Goretex jackets should be washed if they get dirty, dusty or after 10-12 wears. This was because Goretex is essentially a fine mesh that keeps rain out but will let warm moist sweaty air out. If the ‘mesh’ gets covered with dirt, the dirt particles create a ‘bridge’ and allow the external water/rain to move across the fabric to the inside.

Wax your Barbour regularly and you will have a good waterproof jacket. Clean your Goretex regularly and it will also remain waterproof. My Goretex jackets will come and go but my Barbours will outlast them and be like an old friend.

It’s a case of picking the right jacket for the right situation.

Master
    Anyone got around the plastic feeling polyester type lining in the sleeves on some of the jackets such as the Ashby. It is the only thing I really don't like!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boss13; 22nd October 2019 at 22:07.

Master
    A discount coupled with a student discount and I couldn't resist. Should have a beacon (skyfall) delivered tomorrow. In true barbour fashion, I opted to go for XL to accompany my S utility.

Barbour do have their limitations, but I find them more than adequate for 95% of my needs, and for the rest, then that's where my fjallraven down jackets come into play.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    ...and followed up that today with another visit to Mole Valley Farmers and bought a Barbour Bristol wax jacket in olive.

Many thanks to bambam for the thread and for the comments by others.

scooter
    A pleasure!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I have two Barbours, a 14 year old International and a 5 year old Beaufort. I re-wax both of them myself every 12-18 months. I also have several Goretex jackets including offerings from The North Face and Arcteryx.

If I’m walking the dog over the fields, then it’s the Beaufort. The International is fine around town in bars or for work and the Arcteryx for wet weather walking of if I need something like because I’m moving fast and light.

Barbours use basic waterproofing technology i.e. a wax which repels water. The fabric is thick, heavy, thornproof, can be cold and isn’t breathable. Goretex is light and very waterproof if you look after it. I spoke to an Arcteryx tech rep who said their Goretex jackets should be washed if they get dirty, dusty or after 10-12 wears. This was because Goretex is essentially a fine mesh that keeps rain out but will let warm moist sweaty air out. If the ‘mesh’ gets covered with dirt, the dirt particles create a ‘bridge’ and allow the external water/rain to move across the fabric to the inside.

Wax your Barbour regularly and you will have a good waterproof jacket. Clean your Goretex regularly and it will also remain waterproof. My Goretex jackets will come and go but my Barbours will outlast them and be like an old friend.

It’s a case of picking the right jacket for the right situation.
    I agree with everything in your post.
    I've only ever ripped one goretex jacket and I got a patch for it, which worked.
    It also helps if like watches, you have plenty of jackets to rotate.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Can those who rewax their barbours at home recommend a wax? Do you buy the barbour branded thorn proof tins or are their others that are as good/better?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Can those who rewax their barbours at home recommend a wax? Do you buy the barbour branded thorn proof tins or are their others that are as good/better?
    I used the Barbour Thornproof.
    I Don't know if there's a better/cheaper alternative??

I use Barbour thornproof dressing, re-wax once a year at the start of the winter. It's a bit of a faff, but I put an LP on and get on with it.

I had a couple Beauforts about 25 years ago, and when you bought a Barbour then, it came with a tin of wax in the pocket, along with a chunky wee booklet telling you how to apply it as well as being a catalogue and a potted history book about the company!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case anyone is interested I had my quote through from Barbour today to replace the lining on both sleeves of my new Ashby jacket. £35 to line them with the same material as the rest of the jacket and a 4 week turnaround. About a week to get the quote. Think that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    In case anyone is interested I had my quote through from Barbour today to replace the lining on both sleeves of my new Ashby jacket. £35 to line them with the same material as the rest of the jacket and a 4 week turnaround. About a week to get the quote. Think that's fair.
    Over the years both myself and my other half have had repairs and alterations by Barbour, great service coupled with the fact that an old Barbour always looks infinitely better with a patina of history.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I used the Barbour Thornproof.
    I Don't know if there's a better/cheaper alternative??

It is far far more cost effective to just make your own, as people have done for untold decades. Far less convenient than a tin of thornproof through the door though.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I use Barbour thornproof dressing, re-wax once a year at the start of the winter. It's a bit of a faff, but I put an LP on and get on with it.
    This but on a Sunday afternoon with Johnie Walker sound of the 70s on the radio.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That does seem a very fair price. Will they re-wax as well for that as part of the job or are you just getting the linings sorted?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That does seem a very fair price. Will they re-wax as well for that as part of the job or are you just getting the linings sorted?
    The jacket is brand new, I haven't worn it. I bought it in the Covent Garden store and they sent it off for me at the same time. I doubt they would wax it for that price though. I think waxing is about £35 by itself.

Master
    Thought id share a sale link to Belstaff and Barbour at flannels that may interest some on here use code EXTRA20 for another 20% off

Having owned Barbour jackets historically including the beadle, commander and ashby Ive personally found the quality of Belstaff personally to be much better without having the mass appeal that Barbour has and so its a bit different to those not in the know and with a free tailoring and rewaxing service I personally think they are better garments, none the less there are some bargains to be had as below

Belstaff Roadmaster £298 minus discount £238
    https://www.flannels.com/belstaff-ro...lcode=60012603

PS The Ashby is available in blue for £99 minus discount £80
    https://www.flannels.com/barbour-int...lcode=60887722

Or in wax for £140 minus discount £112
    https://www.flannels.com/barbour-int...lcode=60887716
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 1st November 2019 at 13:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Thought id share a sale link to Belstaff and Barbour at flannels that may interest some on here use code EXTRA20 for another 20% off

Having owned Barbour jackets historically including the beadle, commander and ashby Ive personally found the quality of Belstaff personally to be much better without having the mass appeal that Barbour has and so its a bit different to those not in the know and with a free tailoring and rewaxing service I personally think they are better garments, none the less there are some bargains to be had as below

Belstaff Roadmaster £298 minus discount £238
    https://www.flannels.com/belstaff-ro...lcode=60012603

PS The Ashby is available in blue for £99 minus discount £80
    https://www.flannels.com/barbour-int...lcode=60887722

Or in wax for £140 minus discount £112
    https://www.flannels.com/barbour-int...lcode=60887716
    Good deals, but just note that the Ashby is the lightweight version. I tried on various before I bought mine and they are different. For example the outlet version is defniitely worse quality than the Retail version.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Thats an excellent price. Defo worth repairing instead of replacing.

I undertook rewaxing mine last night. Tougher task than it first appears. I need to give a little more attention to even out the back, but its made it look almost new. Happy with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post

I undertook rewaxing mine last night. Tougher task than it first appears. I need to give a little more attention to even out the back, but its made it look almost new. Happy with the result.

Put it on a clothes hanger, hang it up and give it a going over with a hot hairdryer and a sponge or cloth to even out any areas of over/under waxing. I then hang in the airing cupboard for a few days to let the wax soak in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post

Looks like a great job. Jacket looks new! Good work.

My Barbour is about 20 years old and has never been re-waxed. Not surprisingly it's not waterproof. Would I be wasting my time trying to wax it now to get it waterproof, or might it work......?

Quote Originally Posted by dulux View Post
    My Barbour is about 20 years old and has never been re-waxed. Not surprisingly it's not waterproof. Would I be wasting my time trying to wax it now to get it waterproof, or might it work......?
    Re-waxing would work just fine.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I recently sent a 3 year old jacket to Barbour for re-waxing, I was warned by John Lewis that if you leave them too long for some bizarre reason they can’t be re-waxed? They do have a habit of going to holes along the creases if they get too dry so sent mine off, but the John Lewis comment sounds like cobblers to me?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I left my trusty Barbour on the train last week, unfortunately it’s not been handed it.

I think they are good value for money and go well with most outfits, well I’m sure somebody is taking full advantage of mine right now anyway!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Anyone got around the plastic feeling polyester type lining in the sleeves on some of the jackets such as the Ashby. It is the only thing I really don't like!

I've just got one delivered this morning, been out the house and hour in it ( I've a t-shirt underneath ) and my arms are sweating, it's horrible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I've just got one delivered this morning, been out the house and hour in it ( I've a t-shirt underneath ) and my arms are sweating, it's horrible.
    A couple of my internationals make me sweat like that, more so the motorcycle one.
    I have no trouble with the traditional Bedale and Border because they're so big.

Master
    I took a belstaff to the boutique in Manchester to have the zip repaired, thinking they'd try to wiggle out of the free repair boast.
    No problem at all and said that it'd be ready before xmas, which I was impressed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

Very easy fix. Took 6 weeks.

Blog Entries
    The only thing I dislike about my Barbour (which I have had for about 15 years) is when I chuck it on, the collar flips up and clouts me on the back of my neck!

On my Bushman I had to apply a blob of araldite into the presstud on the left hand waist adjuster as I couldn't get out of the car without the seat pulling it open. Apart from that the coat is nigh on perfect this time of year however cold it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    The only thing I dislike about my Barbour (which I have had for about 15 years) is when I chuck it on, the collar flips up and clouts me on the back of my neck!
    Never had a Barbour assault me before, have a word with it