closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First proper day out in a Barbour

waxed cotton is great for its intended purpose but absolute crap at everything else. worn them for years shooting where being thornproof is essential but if you dont need to push through brambles while beating on a shoot they are just a heavy sweaty but also cold and clammy expensive coat that stinks.
    they have their place but 99% of people who wear them will never be in a situation that requires their main feature of being thornproof and waterproof.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    waxed cotton is great for its intended purpose but absolute crap at everything else. worn them for years shooting where being thornproof is essential but if you dont need to push through brambles while beating on a shoot they are just a heavy sweaty but also cold and clammy expensive coat that stinks.
    they have their place but 99% of people who wear them will never be in a situation that requires their main feature of being thornproof and waterproof.
    I spend a lot of time in the outdoors, none of it spent shooting.

The Bedale is ideal and the Duke ok....Ashby and International definitely not.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post

Barbour sizing is a joke
    Agreed - all over the place depending on the jacket.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Agreed - all over the place depending on the jacket.
    Belstaff are the same.

Last edited by RD200; 16th October 2019 at 10:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just send it back via a Barbour store. For me I bought the Ashby on Sunday and left it there with them to send to the factory in Newcastle. They'll call in about 2 weeks and give me a price which from memory should be about £50.

You can ask for pretty much anything you want in a repair. For instance another jacket I tried on (I think Bedale) has a cuff in a cuff. I'm sure you could ask for that too but of course for more money. 8 week wait in high season. Half that out of season.

Pic of the cuff stolen from Google below. Hope it helps.
    Yes Bedales are cuff in a cuff.

To me they all run small - both Bellstaff and Barbour

I have a few of the former - one of the latter - not much difference TBH - though may sway the Barbour way on value for money

The good thing is that if looked after they can be sold on to fund part of another when you are fed up with them or see something newer

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Back in the 70's I had a Belstaff for riding motorbikes, Barbour were too expensive for an apprentice earning buttons
    You wouldn't be able to do that now.....Belstaff are mad expensive, Barbour 'cheap' by comparison.

I agree that Barbour sizing can be a little " eccentric " which is why it's better to try one on in an outlet, but these days the returns system of someone like Outdoor & Country are exemplary and make online purchases very easy thankfully, especially when there isn't a shop within easy reach.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    You wouldn't be able to do that now.....Belstaff are mad expensive, Barbour 'cheap' by comparison.
    Hahaha yeah I know.

I've got a Citymaster, no good for outdoors and the zip has gone.

Master
    I wear mine in the garden, walking in the hills and around town. They don't smell, no sweater than any other jacket I've tried, and perfectly warm.

Master
    I spend a lot of time in the outdoors, none of it spent shooting.

The Bedale is ideal and the Duke ok....Ashby and International definitely not.

Why do you say that? What is wrong with Ashby?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Why do you say that? What is wrong with Ashby?
    Don't get me wrong, I like the jacket but It's not the same sort of jacket for outdoor use as the Bedale, or it may just be that the Ashby is smart and my Bedale definitely isn't.

Master
    I wear mine in the garden, walking in the hills and around town. They don't smell, no sweater than any other jacket I've tried, and perfectly warm.
    I've got to admit my Bedale is a bit scruffy looking but the Ashby is a match for a Belstaff around town.

Last edited by RD200; 16th October 2019 at 12:27.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    What channel was that on? Would be interested to watch it.
    Inside the factory, think it was bbc and Greg Wallace! It was in the latest series

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can you suggest a Goretex alternative to Barbour that retains similar styling?
    Nomad. A tad dearer than Barbour, but a mile better. Wouldn't be without my Nomad Wading Jacket, it's over 20 years old now, still keeps me bone dry and very warm.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Have a few and have worn them for years. A couple need a rewax, but they get better with age and I wouldn’t be without a few in the wardrobe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    I wouldn’t be without a few in the wardrobe. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good grief, in the wardrobe? I hope that you don't mean that literally. I keep mine in the shed and feed it the odd kipper now and then..... Keeps it nice and cold, damp and stinky .

I've had a Border for a few years and decided to get it rewaxed this year. One thing that did annoy me was the sleeves felt about an inch+ short especially when gloves were required.

I found out that Barbour offer a sleeve lengthening service when filling out the form for the rewax so I ticked that box and asked for a 40mm extension too.
    I sent it off and a couple of weeks later was asked for the grand total of £33. A couple of days after paying, I got my Border back in great condition. Great service in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Adam

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I’ve owned a few over the years,have to say modern gortex beats waxed cotton hands down.Nothing worse in my book than a wet smelly Barbour.
    I've still got my Barbour from 86, been back to Barbour a few times for repairs and re-proofing. But there are many better technical coats now, its ok for nipping down the pub, but I have much better kit for walking the dog etc. Wouldn't bother with them again

Master
    Having read this thread yesterday I went to our local Mole Valley Farmers and bought a Barbour today.

Regrettably I could only run to a waxed sports cap but like the look.

scooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    I've had a Border for a few years and decided to get it rewaxed this year. One thing that did annoy me was the sleeves felt about an inch+ short especially when gloves were required.

I found out that Barbour offer a sleeve lengthening service when filling out the form for the rewax so I ticked that box and asked for a 40mm extension too.
    I sent it off and a couple of weeks later was asked for the grand total of £33. A couple of days after paying, I got my Border back in great condition. Great service in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Adam

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Can't argue with that Adam, can you

Master
    I’ve had a Beaufort for a number of years and love it. Cannot fault it, its ideal for my needs.

Master
    Well I’ve had my waxed Barbour for about a week and a half now and I’m bitterly disappointed with it. Twice I’ve worn it out while walking the dog and on both occasions it’s left some sort of stain on the shoulder/upper chest region of the my t-shirt. I thought perhaps the stain was already there after the first time so made a point of checking my t-shirt before the second walk. Nothing on it before, but some staining on it when I got back in.
    Now admittedly it was a decent walk (5 miles) and I did get a bit sweaty but it’s not as if the coat doesn’t have a lining.
    I think I’ll drop Barbour customer services a line and let them know what’s happening and see if they can suggest anything.

https://youtu.be/jLfgDlJDzjk

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

waxed cotton is great for its intended purpose but absolute crap at everything else.
    At last, common sense prevails on this ridiculous thread.
    Wax jackets are bloody horrible in the wet - stiff, mouldy, clammy and heavy. Stay out long enough and the water will soak through.
    There are far, far better alternatives for hours spent in inclement weather but they wouldn`t be as `trendy` or suitable for the fashionista, would they?
    I`ve been wearing wax cotton since i was 17, from motorcycle riding at first to recreational use in later years so i know what they`re like.
    If it`s going to be wet, get some Goretex on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I've got 2 of those 3 and I'm very happy with them.

I'm also very happy with the Goretex jackets I have....but only one of them keeps out the wind like the Duke does and I wouldn't go to the pub in one either, that's the International or Ashby.

Each to his own anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    At last, common sense prevails on this ridiculous thread.
    Wax jackets are bloody horrible in the wet - stiff, mouldy, clammy and heavy. ...
    If it`s going to be wet, get some Goretex on.
    It's OK for you youngsters but there wasn't any Goretex around when some of us oldies hit the great outdoors and I have no intention of getting a new coat for fishing while my old 40 year old Barbour, still has decades of good use left in it.... I may be stiff, mouldy, clammy and heavy, but I still enjoy mine...

Master
    20% off most Barbour jackets on John Lewis website at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I’ll have to stop opening this type of thread. The JLP 20% off just tipped me over the edge and I now have a Ridley Scott Wax Film jacket. Stonking jacket but did I really need another Barbour - I have at least 6!

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Looking to get a Barbour...just cannot settle on the right one. Tried on several in store a couple of days ago...may pop in again next week.

FYI - JLP have 20% off all Barbour at the moment, in case anybody is looking!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I’ll have to stop opening this type of thread. The JLP 20% off just tipped me over the edge and I now have a Ridley Scott Wax Film jacket. Stonking jacket but did I really need another Barbour - I have at least 6!

Jake
    Jake, there's nowt wrong with 6 in my opinion.
    I have 4 wax Barbours and 1 Bestaff, my missus has 1 wax Barbour and 1 Belstaff.....even my dog has a wax Barbour.

Master

Jake
    If you've the space, more the merrier! To heck with the naysayers. Most on this forum have dozens of watches, why not jackets :) Ive 6 myself and plan to add a contemporary icons beacon, and something classic like a Beaufort to the mix next month. I have gortex, it is indeed superior in terms of water resistance, weight, and breathability. But I'll take a wax jacket every day of the week.

I'm just looking forward to some cold weather so I can wear some of my hardier barbour and fjallraven winter jackets.

Master
    If you've the space, more the merrier! To heck with the naysayers. Most on this forum have dozens of watches, why not jackets :) Ive 6 myself and plan to add a contemporary icons beacon, and something classic like a Beaufort to the mix next month. I have gortex, it is indeed superior in terms of water resistance, weight, and breathability. But I'll take a wax jacket every day of the week.

I'm just looking forward to some cold weather so I can wear some of my hardier barbour and fjallraven winter jackets.
    Hahaha I thought it was just me who welcomed the cold weather to wear my winter wardrobe

Master
    Hahaha I thought it was just me who welcomed the cold weather to wear my winter wardrobe

Definitely not just you, I must have 30+ jackets including 9 belstaff, there simply aren’t enough cold days to wear them all!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Nope. I enjoy the sun, but I much prefer jackets, overcoats, scarves, felt hats, leather gloves, and the like.

Master
    The Ashby was delivered today. Really pleased with it overall. Only issue I found when trying it on...the sleeves. Seem slightly 'baggy' compared to the rest. I assume so I can fit layers underneath. I generally am not a slim fit person and have bought a size up from one that is fitted on me.

Also when pulling the arms upward or stretching the sleeves seem short. When arms are down like when walking all is fine. Anyone experienced this?

Having said all that it is a keeper. Love the look and going a size up means it is not like a fitted blazer.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

At the risk of another can of worms I feel exactly the same as I tend to collect Guernseys and Arans of various ilks, Now the Guerneys I wear most of the year but for some of the heavier arans, winter is definitely welcome...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    At the risk of another can of worms I feel exactly the same as I tend to collect Guernseys and Arans of various ilks, Now the Guerneys I wear most of the year but for some of the heavier arans, winter is definitely welcome...
    I've got a couple of half zip Barbour jumpers and rate them.
    Long sleeve polos too, usually John Smedley or Boss Merino Wool.

Last edited by RD200; 17th October 2019 at 09:26.

Master

Jake
    Feel like I’ve achieved something then!! Happy wearing your new Barbour!

- - - Updated - - -

Jake
    Feel like I’ve achieved something then!! Happy wearing your new Barbour!

Master

Jake
    Ooh that’s one of the ones I’ve been eyeing but need to get to JL and try one on really, how are you finding it in comparison to say a beadale or one of the other classic style which I’m sure you must own lol.

Can not beat a bit of Barbour, have a few jackets and always keep the weather at bay

I agree with the sizing comments. I’m 6’2’’ and 16 stone - hardly a giant - and wear a Duke xxxl, goodness knows what really big guys wear. About 10 years ago I visited the Belstaff flagship store in Bond st, they didn’t have a single jacket that fit me - in fact I couldn’t get my arms through the sleeves (and I’m no bodybuilder)!
    I don’t really understand how that works for them. I’m 50 and notice how my eldest sons friends (he’s 18) are definitely taller on average than my peers - I’d say half his friends are 6 feet tall and what I’d describe as a prop forward build - yet If they need a jacket they need to look in the ‘xxxxxl you’re a freak of nature’ collection! - weird. By comparison I recently bought a carhartt chore coat, fits perfectly with plenty of room. It’s a large!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I agree with the sizing comments. I’m 6’2’’ and 16 stone - hardly a giant - and wear a Duke xxxl, goodness knows what really big guys wear. About 10 years ago I visited the Belstaff flagship store in Bond st, they didn’t have a single jacket that fit me - in fact I couldn’t get my arms through the sleeves (and I’m no bodybuilder)!
    I don’t really understand how that works for them. I’m 50 and notice how my eldest sons friends (he’s 18) are definitely taller on average than my peers - I’d say half his friends are 6 feet tall and what I’d describe as a prop forward build - yet If they need a jacket they need to look in the ‘xxxxxl you’re a freak of nature’ collection! - weird. By comparison I recently bought a carhartt chore coat, fits perfectly with plenty of room. It’s a large!

i know what you mean I was looking for a propper winter coat I tried a north face mcmurdo parka L fitted ok xl was massive I eventually bought a woolrich artic parka which is xxl and not what you call roomy I also have a belstaff wax jacket that is xxxl and is only just big enough across the chest

Damn this thread!
    Had a look in Barbour outlet store at Cheshire Oaks this weekend in the back of this thread looking for a lighter weight winter coat.
    Ended up with 2 Barbours.
    Got the utility jacket for the football and general use. Very impressed with this for fit as well I got in a Medium!
    Then looked at the Bedale? Perfect for heavier use and certainly great for walking the dog on the fells!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can you suggest a Goretex alternative to Barbour that retains similar styling?
    Hi, if you're a shooter, try Schoffel Country (yes, I declare I have an interest, my company represents them), or for pure Gore-Tex visit Ellis Brigham, Snow & Rock or an Independant Outdoor shop for the best choice

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Damn this thread!
    Had a look in Barbour outlet store at Cheshire Oaks this weekend in the back of this thread looking for a lighter weight winter coat.
    Ended up with 2 Barbours.
    Got the utility jacket for the football and general use. Very impressed with this for fit as well I got in a Medium!
    Then looked at the Bedale? Perfect for heavier use and certainly great for walking the dog on the fells!

Is there a Barbour store now, at Cheshire Oaks

Master
    Be careful with the outlets. I did go to Bicester recently. Definitely not the same jackets you find in retail stores. Bedale a classic example. No buttons for optional hood. No zips for liner vest. And different lining. Also tried Ashby...again lining different. Finish was not as neat. Fit was not the same when I tried the same size at the retail store.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Is there a Barbour store now, at Cheshire Oaks

Yep. Seemed to have a good range too

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Hi, if you're a shooter, try Schoffel Country (yes, I declare I have an interest, my company represents them), or for pure Gore-Tex visit Ellis Brigham, Snow & Rock or an Independant Outdoor shop for the best choice

John
    Do we get mates rates John ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Yep. Seemed to have a good range too

Thanks.
    Might have a look nearer xmas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Having read this thread yesterday I went to our local Mole Valley Farmers and bought a Barbour today.

Regrettably I could only run to a waxed sports cap but like the look.

scooter
    ...and followed up that today with another visit to Mole Valley Farmers and bought a Barbour Bristol wax jacket in olive.

Many thanks to bambam for the thread and for the comments by others.

scooter