closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 131

Thread: First proper day out in a Barbour

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,031

    First proper day out in a Barbour

    Finally bought a Barbour a few weeks ago. Got the Corbridge as wanted something more fitted with a little padding/warmth.

    Anyway, took the boy to his football game this morning and it was chucking it down. In the past I would have worn a parka or something along those lines. The Barbour was awesome!! Wasnít too warm but kept me comfortable and absolutely dry. It was actually nice to be out in the rain and watching the water just bead up. It was only when we finished that I realised how wet it was.

    Good result. Also looks smart when worn with a shirt. This is the same jacket that I first tried on years ago and now wish Iíd just bought one then!

  2. #2
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,526
    It's interesting to note that Barbour's own blurb recommends choosing a size up:

    As this is a slim fitting jacket, we would advise purchasing the next size up than you would normally choose.

    Er Ö why not just make it to fit properly in the first place, or label them down a size

  3. #3
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's interesting to note that Barbour's own blurb recommends choosing a size up:

    As this is a slim fitting jacket, we would advise purchasing the next size up than you would normally choose.

    Er Ö why not just make it to fit properly in the first place, or label them down a size
    Probably because a bit of "air" between you and the coat might add a bit of warmth ? Maybe ?

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,956
    Did you use the hood? If so how was it?

    I've been on the fence with this model for months. I've a number of barbours, and hats, and umbrellas. But I really want a barbour with a hood, but do not want one with a fixed parka type hood. More one that can be stower away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's interesting to note that Barbour's own blurb recommends choosing a size up:

    As this is a slim fitting jacket, we would advise purchasing the next size up than you would normally choose.

    Er … why not just make it to fit properly in the first place, or label them down a size

    Barbour sizing is a joke tbh. I've a utility jacket size small that wears the same as a Duke size XL.
    Last edited by hafle; 12th October 2019 at 21:53.

  5. #5
    Craftsman smalleyboy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    875
    I have several Barbours and use a Barbour baseball style waxed cap. Think itís more flexible than a hood and better all round vision if youíre on the move.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    2,779
    Iím constantly on the fence about buying a Barbour I can never seem to settle on one I like, I have a few belstaff jackets but something about Barbour preferably with a hood keeps calling me I can just never decide on one lol.

  7. #7
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,275
    Maybe I should have one......I Ďborrowí stepdaughters labrador most days and he has to be taken out regularly.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,031
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Did you use the hood? If so how was it?

    I've been on the fence with this model for months. I've a number of barbours, and hats, and umbrellas. But I really want a barbour with a hood, but do not want one with a fixed parka type hood. More one that can be stower away.




    Barbour sizing is a joke tbh. I've a utility jacket size small that wears the same as a Duke size XL.
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Iím constantly on the fence about buying a Barbour I can never seem to settle on one I like, I have a few belstaff jackets but something about Barbour preferably with a hood keeps calling me I can just never decide on one lol.
    I did use the hood. It was worth adjusting it to fit better as otherwise a gust of wind will just whip it back but also in its standard form it didnít allow me to see out, especially at the sides.
    Itís not a hood that will keep you warm as such but it definitely keeps the rain out. As itís connected to the jacket, you donít get anything going down the collar either.
    I know that a baseball cap would give better visibility but then itís another thing to take with you. I found the usability of the Corbridge to be really good. Plenty of pockets, but so many that you stuff them full and not baggy like some Barbour styles, but not so fitted that you canít move.
    I can see this getting a lot of use. I bought an XL and it fits perfectly but I know that in other Barbours XL would swamp me.
    There were some good deals on too which helped me decide.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    649
    I was out in my 1996 Northumbria today. It was wet enough but not really cold enough for a Barbour, I wish they would be better ventilated.
    When it gets really cold, out comes the Snugpak Softy jacket.

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    237
    Iíve owned a few over the years,have to say modern gortex beats waxed cotton hands down.Nothing worse in my book than a wet smelly Barbour.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Did you use the hood? If so how was it?

    I've been on the fence with this model for months. I've a number of barbours, and hats, and umbrellas. But I really want a barbour with a hood, but do not want one with a fixed parka type hood. More one that can be stower away.




    Barbour sizing is a joke tbh. I've a utility jacket size small that wears the same as a Duke size XL.
    The Duke's XL isn't even very big is it ?

    I've got a 42" Bedale that I could probably wear the Duke under with room to spare.

    Also have another Barbour International and an Ashby that I bought off another member on here that both fit well.



    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    718
    Looking to get a Barbour...just cannot settle on the right one. Tried on several in store a couple of days ago...may pop in again next week.

    FYI - JLP have 20% off all Barbour at the moment, in case anybody is looking!

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    730
    A bought a (supposedly goretex) water proof and breathable Barbour jacket a few years ago that had a hood that zipped out but is as much use as a tea bag.

    But the jacket had provisions for a removable wax hood so I bought one and it fastens on 2 of the wax jackets too, albeit with a colour mismatch.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RD200; 13th October 2019 at 08:46.

  14. #14
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    29,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Iíve owned a few over the years,have to say modern gortex beats waxed cotton hands down.Nothing worse in my book than a wet smelly Barbour.
    Can you suggest a Goretex alternative to Barbour that retains similar styling?

  15. #15
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    8,278
    I really like my Duke jacket (sand). Looks great with a white or black T and jeans.
    It's a slim fit Autumn jacket in my opinion.
    I have their Sapper jacket for winter, which is padded. Generally wear the flat waterproof cap.

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    730
    I had a look in Rathbones in Keswick and they had a 125th anniversay edition range in, some costing £400 which is getting near Belstaff prices.

    They weren't much different than the others being sold though.

    Re Belstaff vs Barbour, my Barbours seem more harder wearing than the Belstaff that I've got.

    My missus has a Belstaff Roadmaster while I have the Barbour equivalent and there's not much in them despite the £300 difference

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    I wear my Dept B Commander (now called Beacon) jacket throughout spring and autumn. Itís a little on the warm side for the summer and not quite warm enough for the winter. When itís buttoned up it really keeps the rain out. Earlier this year I sent it back to base for a reproof and a button repair. It came back good as new.

  18. #18
    Master pinpull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife
    Posts
    1,104

    First proper day out in a Barbour

    I have the Corbridge too. The padding inside fooled me into thinking it might actually be warm, so I got a size L (I'm usually M in most coats) which was still slim on me, fits beautifully with only a shirt or thin top underneath and does look very smart. However, I can't fit a lot more under it to up the heat factor!

    It has to be consigned to Spring and Autumn temperatures as a result!

    It certainly does feel protective and keeps the wet stuff out, and the stowaway hood works ok if you've nothing else to cover your head. I still always reach for (one of) my Paramos though, when the going looks really tough!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    279
    Most Barbour jackets are not warm at all - they manage to hold the cold against your back once they are wet. They are good at keeping you dry but so are many other jackets & coats which use more modern technology. I must add that I have a few myself but they're more accessory then protection from the elements.

    I used to look after some of Barbour's wax jacket production in Eastern Europe a few years ago.

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can you suggest a Goretex alternative to Barbour that retains similar styling?
    Have a couple of Harkila coats,bit spendy but imho worth it.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    england
    Posts
    577
    Get yourself a Rab Valiance for warmth and full waterproof !

    800 fill power and pertex shield.

    I've just done 3 hours in the rain in it, it's the bet coat I've ever had, down and waterproof is a winner.

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    3,830
    Do Barbour make specific ranges just for outlets? Both the wife and myself just bought wax jackets from Bicester. They were listed at £199 saying retail £299 but having just looked on Barbourís website, neither are listed.

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Tonbridge, UK
    Posts
    297
    I had a Barbour lightweight blouson style jacket that I really liked. It was definitely a spring jacket. Good for showers but not warm. Looked great though. When I had to replace it Barbour didn't make a similar cut anymore. I went with a Peregrine TT Jacket. Price was good, modern styling and made in England. It was also warmer and heavier so I could wear it in early Sping and Autumn.

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I had a Barbour lightweight blouson style jacket that I really liked. It was definitely a spring jacket. Good for showers but not warm. Looked great though. When I had to replace it Barbour didn't make a similar cut anymore. I went with a Peregrine TT Jacket. Price was good, modern styling and made in England. It was also warmer and heavier so I could wear it in early Sping and Autumn.
    I'd never heard of Peregrine and as only one of my Barbour jackets is made in the UK, I might give them a go next time.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Get yourself a Rab Valiance for warmth and full waterproof !

    800 fill power and pertex shield.

    I've just done 3 hours in the rain in it, it's the bet coat I've ever had, down and waterproof is a winner.
    Hi Ivan,

    Iím currently thinking about one but seen a few bad reviews on Go Outdoors however the reviews on the Rab website are very good. May I ask what you were using it for please ?

    Iíll be walking the dogs, a big of light trekking and mainly standing on the sidelines watching my son playing rugby...

    Cheers

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Hi Ivan,

    Iím currently thinking about one but seen a few bad reviews on Go Outdoors however the reviews on the Rab website are very good. May I ask what you were using it for please ?

    Iíll be walking the dogs, a big of light trekking and mainly standing on the sidelines watching my son playing rugby...

    Cheers
    Iíve got one myself , extremely warm and traipsing around Berlin earlier this year in the rain not once did I get wet , very hard to fault if anything maybe a little too warm but a cracking jacket. Obviously not the robustness of Barbour belstaff etal if you catch it on barbed wire itíll look like an epic pillow fight but for what you describe it would be perfect

  27. #27
    Master Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Iíve got one myself , extremely warm and traipsing around Berlin earlier this year in the rain not once did I get wet , very hard to fault if anything maybe a little too warm but a cracking jacket. Obviously not the robustness of Barbour belstaff etal if you catch it on barbed wire itíll look like an epic pillow fight but for what you describe it would be perfect
    Thanks sir, appreciate your time and thoughts :-)

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    . Earlier this year I sent it back to base for a reproof and a button repair. It came back good as new.
    I need to do this with my ToKiTo. Did you drop in to a shop or post direct? What was the turnaround time like?

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    The Duke's XL isn't even very big is it ?

    I've got a 42" Bedale that I could probably wear the Duke under with room to spare.

    Also have another Barbour International and an Ashby that I bought off another member on here that both fit well.



    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    I have a washed Duke in large which is fine, so bought a regular Duke in large. Couldn't even touch my shoulder when zipped up.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I need to do this with my ToKiTo. Did you drop in to a shop or post direct? What was the turnaround time like?
    It cost £30 for the reproof and £15 for the small repair. I paid to post the jacket. Return postage was included in the price. Turnaround was around 3 weeks. I got a quote for the work on 24 September and the jacket was delivered back on 16 October last year.

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    england
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Hi Ivan,

    Iím currently thinking about one but seen a few bad reviews on Go Outdoors however the reviews on the Rab website are very good. May I ask what you were using it for please ?

    Iíll be walking the dogs, a big of light trekking and mainly standing on the sidelines watching my son playing rugby...

    Cheers
    Ive had mine about 18 months and my wife about 12 months.

    Both have been superb and not a thing wrong with the jacket.

    I've just looked at the review, people saying o dragged the arm on a wall and it's ripped isn't down to quality in my eyes. I'd expect every down jacket to rip if I catch it on walls.

    I've been up Ben Nevis in it, use it every Tuesday, Saturday & Sunday for kids footy and it's always kept me dry and warm.

    Id buy another Valiance no problem.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It cost £30 for the reproof and £15 for the small repair. I paid to post the jacket. Return postage was included in the price. Turnaround was around 3 weeks. I got a quote for the work on 24 September and the jacket was delivered back on 16 October last year.
    Cheers 👍🏻

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,031
    How often should you re-proof? Every few years or when you notice itís not waterproof any more??
    Just thinking of the future.
    Also, how many send it back/get it done versus do it yourself with a tin of wax?

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,956
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    How often should you re-proof? Every few years or when you notice itís not waterproof any more??
    Just thinking of the future.
    Also, how many send it back/get it done versus do it yourself with a tin of wax?
    When needed really. One of my most worn Barbour's went about 4 years before getting waxed. I do it myself. Tin of thornproof (although I make my own wax now) and a hairdryer. Due to the time between waxing, that one required a good half a tin, so cost about a fiver compared to the £35 for Barbour to do it for you.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Looking to get a Barbour...just cannot settle on the right one. Tried on several in store a couple of days ago...may pop in again next week.

    FYI - JLP have 20% off all Barbour at the moment, in case anybody is looking!
    There is a Barbour outlet shop at Bicester Village - seem cheap to me - always offers on at John Lewis/HOF etc

  36. #36
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Tonbridge, UK
    Posts
    297
    Sooner than you think, my first jacket I left to long and it cracked. I reproof myself as well. Pretty straight forward once you do the prep. There are some helpful video on YouTube.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Do Barbour make specific ranges just for outlets? Both the wife and myself just bought wax jackets from Bicester. They were listed at £199 saying retail £299 but having just looked on Barbourís website, neither are listed.
    Yes they do, I was passing Cheshire oaks today so decided to call in thanks to this thread lol. Anyway nothing took my fancy aside from a Beaufort but it didnít have the zips inside for a liner when I asked the assistant they said theyíre a retail model and generally short run stuff so different in some ways. Yet again the hunt to scratch the Barbour itch continues.

    Learningtofly
    Whilst there I nipped into belstaff (itíd be rude not to) they had the trailmaster evo which is their take on a goretex jacket Iíve had one a while and itís a lovely thing to wear not warm in the slightest so layers needed but Iíve found it perfect for warmer uk days when it still bloody rains lol. Iíve still not mastered the multi quote so hopefully you still see this

    https://www.belstaff.co.uk/men/outer...000136395.html

  38. #38
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    718
    Ended up going for the Ashby in the end. Found it for a good price online (JLP did not have my size). May later add the hood and a liner if it is not warm enough.

  39. #39
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Ended up going for the Ashby in the end. Found it for a good price online (JLP did not have my size). May later add the hood and a liner if it is not warm enough.
    What colour did you get ?
    I think the Ashby is more of an Autumn but whatever it's a good fit and comfortable too

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Ended up going for the Ashby in the end. Found it for a good price online (JLP did not have my size). May later add the hood and a liner if it is not warm enough.
    I was very close to an Ashby today but couldnít quite decide if I needed one or not far far too many coats maybe once I thin the heard lol.

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    718
    Colour was a difficult choice. I went with navy in the end. The one I saw in store looked black but I am convinced it was navy. Thought olive may be too bold for me.

    Should arrive tomorrow so will see how it fits. I tried L in store and XXL so hoping the XL will be just right.

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    I've just bought my third Ashby this weekend (first was stolen and now I've lost weight). You can send it back to the factory for a repair on the liner for the arms and they will change the awful plastic to the tartan which is on the rest of the jacket.

    Lovely jackets but the amount I sweat in the arms due to the plastic liner is unbelievable and quite frankly subpar for the brand let alone a £200 jacket. Other than that it's a fantastic jacket and I can't wait to finally get mine in 6-8 weeks once the repair is done. Repair is roughly £50 iirc.

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've just bought my third Ashby this weekend (first was stolen and now I've lost weight). You can send it back to the factory for a repair on the liner for the arms and they will change the awful plastic to the tartan which is on the rest of the jacket.

    Lovely jackets but the amount I sweat in the arms due to the plastic liner is unbelievable and quite frankly subpar for the brand let alone a £200 jacket. Other than that it's a fantastic jacket and I can't wait to finally get mine in 6-8 weeks once the repair is done. Repair is roughly £50 iirc.
    Very interesting info.

    How is that 'repair' arranged?

    One thing I didn't like was the sleeves. Felt loose and would have preferred cuffs. I tried on SO MANY of their jackets and there was always something not perfect but this was the closest to perfect that I found.

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Very interesting info.

    How is that 'repair' arranged?

    One thing I didn't like was the sleeves. Felt loose and would have preferred cuffs. I tried on SO MANY of their jackets and there was always something not perfect but this was the closest to perfect that I found.

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Just send it back via a Barbour store. For me I bought the Ashby on Sunday and left it there with them to send to the factory in Newcastle. They'll call in about 2 weeks and give me a price which from memory should be about £50.

    You can ask for pretty much anything you want in a repair. For instance another jacket I tried on (I think Bedale) has a cuff in a cuff. I'm sure you could ask for that too but of course for more money. 8 week wait in high season. Half that out of season.

    Pic of the cuff stolen from Google below. Hope it helps.

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    718
    Very useful. I may wear it through winter and send off in Summer if required.
    Thanks for your post.

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    287
    Blog Entries
    1
    Barbours are good and at repairs too, there was a tv program about how they was made the other week too! Very interesting watch

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,031
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    Barbours are good and at repairs too, there was a tv program about how they was made the other week too! Very interesting watch
    What channel was that on? Would be interested to watch it.

  48. #48
    Master Artistmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Devon, U.K.
    Posts
    1,632
    I've had a Barbour Border since the 1980s which I love and have had maintained by Barbour a couple of times and I've worn it fly fishing, sea fishing and up on the moors and along the beach when I've been stomping around, so it looks and feels very "comfortable".

    At my wife's insistence she bought me another modern lightweight waterproof Barbour in a new un-waxed fabric for when she doesn't want to be with someone that looks like the dog dragged in, and although it's very smart, comfortable and weatherproof it's not "my Barbour".

    Barbour owners will know this feeling and it's why Barbour's service of looking after them and keeping them going, seemingly ad infinitum, is so valuable..... and if my wife reads this, I really love my new Barbour but I'm wearing my old one as I'm saving my new one for "best" ....

  49. #49
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    497
    Interesting thread this.......funnily enough I grew up in South Shields, in fact Simonside about half a mile from the Barbour factory. As such the brand were very prominent locally, though I never personally had one, expensive for a 'coat' and not quite my thing as a young Mod in the 80's.

    However, now at 52 I have just purchased my first ever Barbour! Living in St Albans for the last 20 years it's always amazed me the prominence of our 'little local firm' and even amused me no end to go into the Covent Garden Barbour Shop to find it bedecked with no end of photo's from my home town.

    So I've just purchased a Duke.....originally Large (ordered on-line!) then changed for a Medium which arrived yesterday. I couldn't be more pleased. I went for black but to be honest would have bought all 4 colours if I had money to burn. Being a biker and massive Steve McQueen fan too I would have gone for the International, but fancied a quilted lining and don't really like the belted look.

    It is a shame that they don't make a 'proper' bike version with removable armour etc. but I suppose they know their market. This is a fashion item after all, as a keen 'outdoors' person too I much prefer modern materials for mountain type stuff......but for a walk in the rain, I now have a new go-to which I'm sure will serve me well for many years.

  50. #50
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Interesting thread this.......funnily enough I grew up in South Shields, in fact Simonside about half a mile from the Barbour factory. As such the brand were very prominent locally, though I never personally had one, expensive for a 'coat' and not quite my thing as a young Mod in the 80's.

    However, now at 52 I have just purchased my first ever Barbour! Living in St Albans for the last 20 years it's always amazed me the prominence of our 'little local firm' and even amused me no end to go into the Covent Garden Barbour Shop to find it bedecked with no end of photo's from my home town.

    So I've just purchased a Duke.....originally Large (ordered on-line!) then changed for a Medium which arrived yesterday. I couldn't be more pleased. I went for black but to be honest would have bought all 4 colours if I had money to burn. Being a biker and massive Steve McQueen fan too I would have gone for the International, but fancied a quilted lining and don't really like the belted look.

    It is a shame that they don't make a 'proper' bike version with removable armour etc. but I suppose they know their market. This is a fashion item after all, as a keen 'outdoors' person too I much prefer modern materials for mountain type stuff......but for a walk in the rain, I now have a new go-to which I'm sure will serve me well for many years.
    My Duke is the dark blue and I agree with you, I'd have been happy with any of the colours.

    I've got a biker version too, again an International but lacks the Duke's quilting.

    Back in the 70's I had a Belstaff for riding motorbikes, Barbour were too expensive for an apprentice earning buttons

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information