closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC - 18 Months into TZ

SOTC - 18 Months into TZ

I found myself in the unusual position of having a couple of hours to myself whilst Mrs C slipped out for a ‘quick look around the shops’

I was at the watch box again and got to thinking about the changes it has gone through since my time on the forum. It’s fair to say that I have had plenty of movement but I find myself fairly settled at the moment. There are plenty of watches that I would still like to try but I think I’m going to be pretty static for a while now.

I posted a SOTC when I joined as a bit of an introduction, so thought I would see how things have changed and what’s come and gone along the way, so I’ll start with the current selection.

In no particular order...

First up is my do anything watch, I’ve tried a fair few gshocks and various other pieces for real down and dirty duties but this has all the functions that I need, I can read it and it’s comfortable.

Next is my Omega Aqua Terra 41.5mm from 2013, this is a survivor from my original SOTC, I know it’s all subjective but either on bracelet or leather and deployant this watch just seems to work as well as anything I’ve tried.

After selling my 14060 I still hankered for a classic no date submariner, so when this came up I couldn’t resist. I did think long and hard as it meant sacrificing another favourite of mine. It came with the ghosted bezel and I now also have a new service insert, I can now switch it up a bit and really enjoy the look of both. I have looked at sourcing a period correct long 5 insert but they are hard to find and have some serious asking prices, I’d love one if anyone has one to move on at a good price.

Some of my watch purchases are impulse buys but this one was a deliberate and (relatively) lengthy search, a 1998 tritium 16600, allegedly unpolished?. I had toyed with the idea of a 16660 after getting sidetracked whilst looking for this, (I found that a bit of a minefield to be honest) but when this came up I knew it was for me. I hope to pass this one on to my son one day.

Another survivor is this 2254, it’s been to Duncan at Genesis for a service, runs like a dream and absolutely deserves its place at the table, looks great, wears well on the bracelet, nato or rubber if that’s your thing.

This was bought as a grab and go watch, fits the bill perfectly, I’d really like to explore the possibility of bead blasting it, I did see one and thought it looked great.

As a fan of the Datejust but also having bigger wrists, this Datejust 2 hits the spot for me, a good size and a beautiful dial that I can’t do justice with my phone pics. Looks good on a black leather strap as well. Some might say a viable one watch solution if that’s your bag?

My most recent purchase is this 16710, having owned the BLNR and a nipple dial Rootbeer, I think that I have found the sweet spot with this. I owned the BLNR for nearly 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed owning and wearing it but became more and more drawn back to the 4 and 5 digit watches. I had started to think that maybe I had missed the boat and perhaps didn’t want to pay the current prices but I’m glad I did. This also came with the coke insert as well as the all black, I’m looking forward to making the most of this watch. I’m even considering a jubilee for it.

Another grab and go with this Omega Megaquartz that I picked up from the forum, I’ve struggled to find what I think is the perfect strap combo but I’m pretty happy with this Watchgecko

I picked this Divex up for holiday duties, I have a bit of a habit of changing my holiday watches regularly but I’m in no rush to move this on, works on all kinds of straps, interesting looks and a break from the norm.

My only hummer is this Zenith / Allegro which is currently having a NOS movement fitted that was sourced from Switzerland, there were already a couple of dates where it didn’t change over and I had traded the watch but when it arrived with the new owner it had stopped working altogether, so back to me it came. It’s just too lovely to let it go to the great watch box in the sky.

And a group shot of the others that I could lay my hands on.

I still have the two pocket watches, the Benson has now been repaired and serviced and runs beautifully and I still know pretty much nothing about the other

When I get another hour I might take a look back at what has come and gone to get to this point... Lots of watch activity in the last 18 months and I’ve probably lost track of everything.

Thanks for looking, the boss is back from her shopping trip now. If you’re interested, she came back with a kitchen bin, a new blind for the bathroom and two 25kg bags of rock salt... obviously!

Nice eclectic group of watches there Greg! Think you have most bases covered now?

A fine collection; very nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I’m aware that I don’t have a Chronograph but I’m not sure that I wouldn’t just be adding one for the sake of it?

It's probably one of the cheapest in your collection but that Omega Megaquartz is very tasty (although I think you had previously posted how expensive it was to get it to that condition).

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Really, really, nice mix there Greg. If you ever want to trade the megaquartz (or sell it) let me know (I’ve got a few chronographs...)

Nice SOTC, naturally the Megaquartz is the highlight for me, followed by the Allegro(the date wheel might be a stumbling block with the NOS movement due to Zeniths quirky position, unless you've been lucky to find one in correct orientation).

A really lovely and diverse collection you have there. I think the 5513 probably steals the show for me but that's probably because I am after one myself! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Master
    Really nice collection and I enjoyed reading why you have each one, a little of the history etc. A chronograph would be good to round it out a little...

- - - Updated - - -

Really nice collection and I enjoyed reading why you have each one, a little of the history etc. A chronograph would be good to round it out a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Thanks, I’m aware that I don’t have a Chronograph but I’m not sure that I wouldn’t just be adding one for the sake of it?
    And your point is?

Craftsman
    Nice collection.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    And your point is?
    Fair point... wouldn’t be the first or the last, I don’t know what I was thinking

Master
    Super collection. Just the kind of thing I might have had some years ago before I got variety out of my system. Some super examples there and thanks for sharing.

Journeyman
    That's quite a collection you have there, congrats. I plan to get a few pocket watches some day.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk