closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 5 - Repair It Or Bin It

Seiko 5 - Repair It Or Bin It

Hi,

I bought an SNXA11K1 in 2015 from Creation Watches.

About a year ago, the crown came off.

I inquired at a local watch repair shop, about how much it would cost to repair.
    They said it wasn't worth bothering with, because it would need a full service if they repaired the crown and it would cost up to £200.

Does that sound right? How much would you expect to pay to repair the crown?

The watch only cost £44.

regards,
    MDSWATCH

Master
    Well - in the couple of times in the last few years that I've had a broken watch of no substantial value, I've given it away on Sales Corner to give someone who knows what they're doing a chance to get it working again. Perhaps you could do something similar; it certainly seems unlikely that an economic repair is possible.

It's only worth repairing for emotional or sentimental reasons... if you have any.

If it's just a crown why not have a go at fixing it yourself? You were going to bin it anyway!

Did the crown fall out with the stem attached, or did it fall off leaving the stem in place? If its the former, at worst a replacement 7s26 movement is needed, yours could no doubt be repaired but not financially viable unless the watch has sentimental value or you can do it yourself. If its the latter, remove the caseback, remove the stem from the movement, see videos on YouTube or simply Google to see how, and fit a replacement crown-stem assembly if you can't reunite the crown and stem. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    As suggested above, not difficult to replace the crown/stem or the entire movement yourself.

If you can't do that or don't want to do it, definitely do NOT bin it. Put it up on SC for a fundraiser donation or on eBay for 99p. (Broken Seiko5s sell all the time on eBay).

There are watchmakers here on TZ-UK who could do the work but I don't know how much they might want to charge.

If you can cost effectively get to Piccadilly Circus Tube station then the man there, Sean McNeill, who works from what seems like a broom cupboard in the Tube station, should be able to do the job for you at a very reasonable rate. (Although it might help if you can supply your own 7S26/NH26 replacement movement).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bin it,get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Bin it,get another one.
    Why bin a repairable item? As Markrlondon said, if the OP can't repair it or is not bothered enough to do so, offer it on here or even sell it on ebay. This gives someone else the chance to repair it or strip it for spare parts. Bin it indeed! Maybe XR has a point ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Why bin a repairable item? As Markrlondon said, if the OP can't repair it or is not bothered enough to do so, offer it on here or even sell it on ebay. This gives someone else the chance to repair it or strip it for spare parts. Bin it indeed! Maybe XR has a point ;)
    I don’t see the point in paying more than an item is worth getting it repaired.

Master
    Upgrade to an NH36 (which has hacking and quick set date). About £30 from the bay of e.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/29314936989...iABEgKo8_D_BwE

Grand Master
    A quick look at the price if this watch cones up with a figure of £119! £44 sounds v cheap.

Buying a new movement’s fine provided it runs OK. In my experience they sometimes don’t, they need stripping, cleaning and oiling to run properly, that’s why I don’t like taking that option on a watch that’s fairly young.

OP doesn’t say how old the watch is, if it’s running badly it may well need servicing, or if it had some trauma (a hard whack) it may need attention. If all’s well there’s no reason why a replacement stem/ crown can’t be fitted.

As for the OPs problem, I can’t see how the crown has simply decided to part company with the watch. If the crown and stem has pulled out it should be possible to refit......my guess is that the crown’s had a whack, the stem’s snapped and the crown’s been lost.

I don’t know how much a new stem crown would cost or how easy they are to source......does anyone know?
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 14th October 2019 at 10:51.

I don’t see the point in paying more than an item is worth getting it repaired.
    Nor do I, agreed. But that doesn't mean the bin is the only option.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nor do I, agreed. But that doesn't mean the bin is the only option.
    I agree,but the OP asked a specific question ,repair or bin it.

Rather than bin it, I would keep it lying around for a rainy day or give it away on SC for a donation, or even get it fixed

Grand Master
    Bin it,get another one.
    How much will a new replacement cost him? £119 was the figure I found. He hasn`t said how recently he bought it, I bought a similar watch in Lanzarotte for £32.........in 2004!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    He hasn`t said how recently he bought it
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSWATCH View Post
    I bought an SNXA11K1 in 2015 from Creation Watches.

I just used these guys for my seiko Baby Monster they ended up fitting a new movement 4r36a and regulating it for £112 all in
    Very interesting guy to talk to he loves his watches

https://www.repairsbypost.com

Grand Master
    Ok, missed that point, but £44 sounds incredibly cheap.

If he'd paid double would he consider spending on it to have it fixed?............the logic starts to become a bit flawed in my opinion.

I own a Seiko, I`m not knocking them, but there are two types of Seiko owner: the first values his watch and doesn't mind spending a few £££ to fix it. The second type want it fixing for peanuts because 'it's a cheap watch and I didn`t pay much for it'. When given a very reasonable quote for fixing, the second type of owner either tries to chip the repair cost down to a silly level or doesn`t reply........I`ve had several of these!

I don`t know what the OP would need to pay for a replacement, but perhaps that's his best way forward. Once you factor in the return postage to get it fixed, plus the cost of buying a replacement crown and stem, even if the tooth fairy could fix it for free it probably wouldn't be cheap enough.

Speaking with my repairers hat on, I don`t care what an owner paid for a watch, it isn`t relevant. There's a price for doing a job and no-one works for free. Cleaning fluids cost £40/US gallon, to replace lubricants every 6 years costs over £200, there are overheads involved in this work even if you do it on a hobbyist basis............as my wife (who's a former accountant) keeps reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Well - in the couple of times in the last few years that I've had a broken watch of no substantial value, I've given it away on Sales Corner to give someone who knows what they're doing a chance to get it working again. Perhaps you could do something similar; it certainly seems unlikely that an economic repair is possible.
    I'm not allowed to post in Sales Corner yet. But if I decide it's not worth getting repaired or I can't repair it myself, I might just put it on the bay for 99p, like markrlondon suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    If it's just a crown why not have a go at fixing it yourself? You were going to bin it anyway!
    Did the crown fall out with the stem attached, or did it fall off leaving the stem in place? If its the former, at worst a replacement 7s26 movement is needed, yours could no doubt be repaired but not financially viable unless the watch has sentimental value or you can do it yourself. If its the latter, remove the caseback, remove the stem from the movement, see videos on YouTube or simply Google to see how, and fit a replacement crown-stem assembly if you can't reunite the crown and stem. Good luck.
    The crown has broken off from the stem.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    As suggested above, not difficult to replace the crown/stem or the entire movement yourself.

If you can't do that or don't want to do it, definitely do NOT bin it. Put it up on SC for a fundraiser donation or on eBay for 99p. (Broken Seiko5s sell all the time on eBay).

There are watchmakers here on TZ-UK who could do the work but I don't know how much they might want to charge.

If you can cost effectively get to Piccadilly Circus Tube station then the man there, Sean McNeill, who works from what seems like a broom cupboard in the Tube station, should be able to do the job for you at a very reasonable rate. (Although it might help if you can supply your own 7S26/NH26 replacement movement).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Upgrade to an NH36 (which has hacking and quick set date). About £30 from the bay of e.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/29314936989...iABEgKo8_D_BwE
    I'm based in the North East. I like the suggestions re the NH26 movement.

A quick look at the price if this watch cones up with a figure of £119! £44 sounds v cheap.

Buying a new movement’s fine provided it runs OK. In my experience they sometimes don’t, they need stripping, cleaning and oiling to run properly, that’s why I don’t like taking that option on a watch that’s fairly young.

OP doesn’t say how old the watch is, if it’s running badly it may well need servicing, or if it had some trauma (a hard whack) it may need attention. If all’s well there’s no reason why a replacement stem/ crown can’t be fitted.

As for the OPs problem, I can’t see how the crown has simply decided to part company with the watch. If the crown and stem has pulled out it should be possible to refit......my guess is that the crown’s had a whack, the stem’s snapped and the crown’s been lost.

I don’t know how much a new stem crown would cost or how easy they are to source......does anyone know?
    Yeh £44 is very cheap. The same website still has similar models available for £65.

I was having a lot of trouble pulling the crown out to set the watch. Then eventually the crown just broke off one day when I was trying to pull it out to adjust the time. The movement is still working, but obviously I can't set it.

Good point re getting a new movement, if it has been sat in a store cupboard for a while, it will also need a service.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Rather than bin it, I would keep it lying around for a rainy day or give it away on SC for a donation, or even get it fixed
    How much will a new replacement cost him? £119 was the figure I found. He hasn`t said how recently he bought it, I bought a similar watch in Lanzarotte for £32.........in 2004!
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I just used these guys for my seiko Baby Monster they ended up fitting a new movement 4r36a and regulating it for £112 all in
    Very interesting guy to talk to he loves his watches

https://www.repairsbypost.com
    That seems like a more reasonable price. The £200 I was quoted was just for a new crown and a service of the existing movement.

I might drop them an email and see how he would charge to supply/fit an NH26 movement.

Ok, missed that point, but £44 sounds incredibly cheap.

If he'd paid double would he consider spending on it to have it fixed?............the logic starts to become a bit flawed in my opinion.

I own a Seiko, I`m not knocking them, but there are two types of Seiko owner: the first values his watch and doesn't mind spending a few £££ to fix it. The second type want it fixing for peanuts because 'it's a cheap watch and I didn`t pay much for it'. When given a very reasonable quote for fixing, the second type of owner either tries to chip the repair cost down to a silly level or doesn`t reply........I`ve had several of these!

I don`t know what the OP would need to pay for a replacement, but perhaps that's his best way forward. Once you factor in the return postage to get it fixed, plus the cost of buying a replacement crown and stem, even if the tooth fairy could fix it for free it probably wouldn't be cheap enough.

Speaking with my repairers hat on, I don`t care what an owner paid for a watch, it isn`t relevant. There's a price for doing a job and no-one works for free. Cleaning fluids cost £40/US gallon, to replace lubricants every 6 years costs over £200, there are overheads involved in this work even if you do it on a hobbyist basis............as my wife (who's a former accountant) keeps reminding me!
    Like I said above, the same website still has similar watches for £65. Unfortunately they no longer stock that particular one. It has no sentimental value, but I do like the copper coloured dial.

I was surprised when the repair shop said that the watch would need a full service. I thought it would just be a case of replacing the crown. So I was expecting to pay about £50. But as has been suggested above, it sounds like there might be other issues which require a strip down and service.

I've got other watches which were not necessarily expensive, but have more sentimental value. I wouldn't think twice about spending money on getting them repaired. But this watch was only purchased as a cheap beater. So I need to have a think about what I want to do.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    Last edited by MDSWATCH; 14th October 2019 at 20:02.

Master
    As others have hinted, perhaps best to separate the need for a service (maybe not needed?) from the repair. You probably need a new stem and crown, but (provided you can source the correct replacement parts) it’s _almost_ a DIY job. I did this to a 50 year old Seiko Weekdater that had previously had the wrong stem/crown fitted.

Agree with the idea of donating it to the forum rather than throwing away. How about starting another TZ charity watch thread?

Grand Master
    What worries me about this one is the root cause of the problem, why did the crown action become stiff? Either a bent stem or something a bit more serious in the keyless work would be my guess.

Worth a few £££ as a fixer upper, a 4 yr old movement still has a lifetime ahead of it!