closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Evolution of Rolex sales and prices between 2012 and 2018

Craftsman

Evolution of Rolex sales and prices between 2012 and 2018

Hi all,

While I had the numbers up, I produced some overall trends on Rolex watches.

As a gentle reminder, the below is from a single EU forum, and is only for Rolex watches sold between 2012 and 2018 above the price of 3,000 euros.

Total number of units sold.
    Peak year was 2014 with a total of 1,178 Rolex watches sold, at an average value of 5,681 euros
    In comparison, only 813 Rolex watches were sold in 2018, at an average value of 7,850 euros. That's 30% decrease in volume but a 40% increase in average price.

Average price of total number of units sold
    No surprises here, peak year is 2018, at an average price of 7,850 euros, increasing at 4.6% per year since 2011.

As a next step, it would be interesting to see which price range is driving the growth. Other questions, please ask!

Below you can see some Rolex growth rates for comparison
    - Rolex average (watches over 3,000 euros) = 4.6% CAGR between 2012-18
    - Rolex 14060M = 3% CAGR 2011-18 (grew below market rate in this period)
    - Rolex 5513 = 9% CAGR 2011-18
    - Rolex 16520 = 15% CAGR 2011-18
    - Rolex 116400 = 5.2% CAGR 2011-19
    - Rolex 116400gv = 5.0% CAGR 2011-19

You can find my other articles here:
    Rolex 14060M analysis: HERE
    Rolex 5513 analysis: HERE
    Rolex 16520 analysis: HERE
    Rolex 116400: HERE

Happy reading, happy to investigate further upon request.

Happy weekend,

Galaxia

Blog Entries
    Wow, very interesting. Thanks for that.

I say "interesting" but I'm not entirely sure what it's telling us. One might take the view that people are increasingly holding on to their Rolexs but, when they do sell, are getting more money for them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Wow, very interesting. Thanks for that.

I say "interesting" but I'm not entirely sure what it's telling us. One might take the view that people are increasingly holding on to their Rolexs but, when they do sell, are getting more money for them.
    Yes, it should be apparent to everyone by now that Rolex are holding back on supply and the price is creeping ever upwards.

Holding onto a Rolex makes sense and that will help Rolex in upping their brand.

Rolex want their owners to be like a typical PP one, buy the watch and keep it for life and pass it on to your son or grandson. The starves the market considerably. The last thing they want is a bunch of flippers and discount chasing *****devaluing the brand. If the residuals continue to rise, the sensible person will hang onto it, so it's in everyones interest from both Rolex and the real enthusiast for the present situation to continue. Rolex will be happy, the greys will be happy and we will be happy.

Grand Master
    Yawn..........

I only have to dig out a few old Rolex catalogues and price lists from ca2007 onwards to reach the same conclusions re prices. I have Omega catalogues and price lists going back to mid- 90s too, same conclusions can be drawn, watches have become very expensive!

Can’t be bothered drawing graphs, I just read them shake my head, tut, recall seeing them in shop windows......then put the catalogues away for a while.

There’s a risk of over- thinking it all. I also mourn the demise of sensibly- sized watches whilst I have the catalogues out.........fortunately I own a few of the nice ones so I don’t really care!

Pretty much what Paul said, my conclusion is that watches cost more than they once did.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Chrono24 have very interesting price evolution tool. No need to browse through forums.