closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car detailing

Car detailing

I've just had my car paintwork ceramic coated. It now shines and hopefully all the rain will fly off it. In fact I was out last night in torrential rain and this morning it's clean, where in the past there'd be muck sticking to the lower bodywork. One drawback is the amount of extra equipment I'll need to clean it from now on. The pressure cleaner should be delivered tomorrow, then an air dryer needs to be ordered.

It can be a real money pit detailing. I have seen very large trials testing those ceramic coating products on the detailingworld forum and some were much better than others, the best were from Japan if I remember and very expensive. The worst were no better than regular sealants.

I think most failed to live up to the claims of long term durability but they were not scientific tests or anything.
    At least with a detailing company they probably have experience of them and pick the better brands for their customers cars.

On a side note that is a really lovely car and color and worth looking after.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    It can be a real money pit detailing. I have seen very large trials testing those ceramic coating products on the detailingworld forum and some were much better than others, the best were from Japan if I remember and very expensive. The worst were no better than regular sealants.

I think most failed to live up to the claims of long term durability but they were not scientific tests or anything.
    At least with a detailing company they probably have experience of them and pick the better brands for their customers cars.

On a side note that is a really lovely car and color and worth looking after.
    Thanks. The coating I've has applied comes with a 9 year guarantee so hopefully it will last. I never realised what was involved in after care cleaning, however I was told that it would only need a wash once a month.

I’m intrigued by this. I’ve been tempted to do but have stuck with regularly cleaning, and waxing every 6 months. How do you know it’s lasted 9 years and prove it hasn’t? I’m assuming it’s several hundred quid to do, so is the end result after several years worth it. I love a clean, tidy, car so am genuinely curious!

Does a combination of dust, dirt, grime and rain not have the affect of slowly removing such coatings through micro abrasion?

I know that the paintwork treatment that is sometimes sold on new cars by main dealers doesn’t last very long. A nine year coating sounds impressive and I’d be very interested to see how it performs. If it lasted half the stated life, then I would consider purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I’m intrigued by this. I’ve been tempted to do but have stuck with regularly cleaning, and waxing every 6 months. How do you know it’s lasted 9 years and prove it hasn’t? I’m assuming it’s several hundred quid to do, so is the end result after several years worth it. I love a clean, tidy, car so am genuinely curious!
    Mine cost me £1400. The results are outstanding and I'd imagine you'll know if it's gone off by the lack of lustre. When the job is complete, you get a unique registration number and a website link to register your car. Barry who did the job does a lot of very high-end cars, including one belonging to a very famous film star, who's name he couldn't disclose after signing a non-disclosure agreement. He did say that the registration of the car began SPY...

He's just put up a video of the work he did. It's at this link https://youtu.be/YUYA1b9Rm_c

Master
    Is that Barry or Paul Chuckle in the video?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Is that Barry or Paul Chuckle in the video?
    He is a bit like that.

Master
    Looks great but for 1400 quid I'd want it to self clean every month.

I'll stick to going the car wash for a fiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Looks great but for 1400 quid I'd want it to self clean every month.

I'll stick to going the car wash for a fiver.
    It was a four day process and looks better than new when finished.

Master
    Looks great. Mind you, the paint on an Audi is up with the best to start with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From the 9 year guarantee I’m guessing it’s just an overrated g-techniq coating?

Sorry but at £1400 you’ve just had your pants pulled down.

Not sure I’d spend that, you can fix a lot of stone chips etc for 1.4k. A decent wash, wax and occasional clay bar etc seems to work well enough. Does look great though.

Master
    Yip
    very expensive
    I had mine done by experienced guy in Glasgow
    Stage 1 paint correction and ceramic coating including wheels and i think from memory about £580
    Even at that I had to take a deep breath.
    Car in for about 3 days
    It was a Cayman so maybe a 4x4 would be a bit more.
    A straight detail without paint correction would be cheaper.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had my Wife’s Alpina D5 detailed;

Wheels off, cleaned and coated with Gyeon

Engine bay cleaned and protected

Paintwork corrected and coated with Gyeon

Windscreen coated with a rain repellent

Interior cleaned and the piano black trim polished

Etc

The total cost was £600 (2.5 days)

The G-techniq 9 year guarantee is boll**** as they’ll just claim that you’ve been using the wrong products to maintain the coating on your car.

Craftsman
    Really nice looking car and the detail looks a good one. I do my own Q5 and it’s hard work, the paint is tough to correct. I had been using various different products to test them and at the moment I have Fusso on the car which gives crazy beading unlike anything I have tried in 20 years. It doesn’t give the wetness I like so at some point I may top it with the King of Gloss but for now I’m enjoying that water beading which Fusso is famous for. Ceramics have plus points and negative points but for me I enjoy product testing too much to try it. Hope it lasts for you. People talking point is the price but I have seen a certain detailer taking 10 times as much to do a full correction detail.

Blog Entries
    £1400?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Pardon my ignorance but......what is paint correction guys ??

Master
    Blog Entries
    Paint correction is the process of using a machine polisher to remove defects, swirls, marring and scratches in the paint.

Some go even further by wet sanding first to remove orange peel which you often get on modern cars.

If done well the corrected finish is like a mirror and better than when the car was new.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy.1967 View Post
    Really nice looking car and the detail looks a good one. I do my own Q5 and it’s hard work, the paint is tough to correct. I had been using various different products to test them and at the moment I have Fusso on the car which gives crazy beading unlike anything I have tried in 20 years. It doesn’t give the wetness I like so at some point I may top it with the King of Gloss but for now I’m enjoying that water beading which Fusso is famous for. Ceramics have plus points and negative points but for me I enjoy product testing too much to try it. Hope it lasts for you. People talking point is the price but I have seen a certain detailer taking 10 times as much to do a full correction detail.
    Is the Fusso as hard to use as some make out?

I've always used jetseal which is really forgiving but nowhere near in terms of protection and longevity.

I'm not sure I want to DIY ceramic so fusso could be worth a try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Paint correction is the process of using a machine polisher to remove defects, swirls, marring and scratches in the paint.

Some go even further by wet sanding first to remove orange peel which you often get on modern cars.

If done well the corrected finish is like a mirror and better than when the car was new.
    Knowing the thickness of paint/clear coat on most cars, I wouldn’t fancy someone removing half of it to achieve a flatter finish.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I had a new car detailed years back. Waste of money imo. Regular upkeep essential and I couldn’t be bothered. Also if your car is damaged at all the repaired area needs to be redone with whatever coating was applied in the first place so more hassle. However I don’t treat my car as a treasured possession anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but......what is paint correction guys ??
    its machine polishing to remove scratches basically.

Master
    While I agree it doesn't seem the cheapest, if you're happy with the results and service and can afford it then why not. Also its hard to judge the price without knowing what products are used as some are jaw dropping expensive to buy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Is the Fusso as hard to use as some make out?

I've always used jetseal which is really forgiving but nowhere near in terms of protection and longevity.

I'm not sure I want to DIY ceramic so fusso could be worth a try.
    Pete, The first coat I applied I made the mistake of not having a thin enough layer. I left it for 20mins and my detailing towel was snagging quite a bit but once a few passes of the towel were made it was fine. There was a little bit of dusting but it was minimal. The 2nd layer went down much easier and thinner which made the difference. The beading is crazy, I will end up crashing just watching it.lol I have always used high
    end products on my cars to get the look I want, some give a wetter look, some offer more clarity and depth but for an every day car like my Q5 this does suit my needs well. As said before though I would love to top it with something else to get that wet look but I know I will lose some of the beading effect. I think in a few weeks I will go with a few layers of King of Gloss to try it. As with anything though it’s a lot to do with the prep work put in before hand. I tend not to use many products with heavy fillers to hide little issues so it requires regular upkeep.

Looks good. Is it Gyeon? Maybe CQ Quartz UK?

Master
    Not wishing to detract from the OP’s car and detailing, but I wonder how many vehicles, 9 years later, will still be owned by someone who knows/cares sufficiently about about the original treatment and warranty to make a claim? At £1400 a pop it won’t hurt to have to re-do a few cars every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Gtechniqu Exo Ultra.

Car detailing

For me I like washing, claying, correct any defects with a DA machine and apply a few coats of sealant.

I don’t go crazy with paint correction I just get the worst out, add 2 light coats of FK1000P and you’ll get months of protection and beading, top up with a light coat every 2 months.

Even if you can’t be bothered with clay/ correction then a couple of coats will protect your paint through the winter.

This is great stuff and a big tin too as it’s used for yachts..

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/finis...EaAjXSEALw_wcB
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 12th October 2019 at 08:42.

And there lies a path to OCD hell imho!
    You wouldn’t bother if you lived out in the countryside like I do - farm machinery leaving mud and stones all over the road, a combination of sugar beet and general road dirt coats the car after even a short drive. I have started washing my car by hand once a month or so as I don’t think the pressure washer cowboys can do a car much good - but the constant threat of being rear-ended by a tailgater, dented by a door in a car park or being treated to a nice key mark down the door surely makes this kind of attention to detail an absolute nightmare? This is actually a genuine question, I love to keep things ‘perfect’ but it seems to be a hopeless task - stuff gets older, develops wabi sabi.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks a very nice job OP - I assume the detailer needs to inspect the car initially after 6 months and then annually? Have considered rinsing with filtered water instead of using the air dryer?
    Last edited by Suds; 12th October 2019 at 09:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    You wouldn’t bother if you lived out in the countryside like I do - farm machinery leaving mud and stones all over the road, a combination of sugar beet and general road dirt coats the car after even a short drive. I have started washing my car by hand once a month or so as I don’t think the pressure washer cowboys can do a car much good - but the constant threat of being rear-ended by a tailgater, dented by a door in a car park or being treated to a nice key mark down the door surely makes this kind of attention to detail an absolute nightmare? This is actually a genuine question, I love to keep things ‘perfect’ but it seems to be a hopeless task - stuff gets older, develops wabi sabi.....

Just like buying a nice watch and keeping it in the safe it's a hobby like any other, but yes it can suck you in....

What I've always wondered with these ceramic coats is if you pick up a ding in a panel and it has to be painted would your insurance cover re-coating the affected panel? If the panel needs blending into another door or wing it could mean a large portion of the car would need it re-applying. I can guess what most insurance companies attitudes would be!

I'll add a recommendation to the DIY'ers here for modern ceramic coatings, I've used these for a while now and they really do make a difference. Applied after you've done all your detailing, it produces a really good shine as well as keeping your car cleaner for longer.

I'm currently using Armor Shield IX.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Looks a very nice job OP - I assume the detailer needs to inspect the car initially after 6 months and then annually? Have considered rinsing with filtered water instead of using the air dryer?
    He never mentioned having it inspected. As far as filtered water, our supply is very soft water but I think I'll go with the blower for the areas where the water gets trapped. Round the mirrors and the fuel cap flap etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Not to mention tiny scratches from the hedgerow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    What I've always wondered with these ceramic coats is if you pick up a ding in a panel and it has to be painted would your insurance cover re-coating the affected panel? If the panel needs blending into another door or wing it could mean a large portion of the car would need it re-applying. I can guess what most insurance companies attitudes would be!
    I think not.

I never even knew that this was a thing. That's what I like about this forum, you never know what your going to learn.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

The greatest problem with detailing comes later. Finding two parking spaces next to each other in the supermarket or multi storey car park that one can park down the middle of.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    The Gyeon products are really good..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I've just had my car paintwork ceramic coated. It now shines and hopefully all the rain will fly off it. In fact I was out last night in torrential rain and this morning it's clean, where in the past there'd be muck sticking to the lower bodywork. One drawback is the amount of extra equipment I'll need to clean it from now on. The pressure cleaner should be delivered tomorrow, then an air dryer needs to be ordered.

Sometimes its not much thats needed to maintain, just a few extra buckets, grates and cleaning method. Recommend a DI vessel for filtered water, so no need to dry the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    Sometimes its not much thats needed to maintain, just a few extra buckets, grates and cleaning method. Recommend a DI vessel for filtered water, so no need to dry the car.
    Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    The greatest problem with detailing comes later. Finding two parking spaces next to each other in the supermarket or multi storey car park that one can park down the middle of.
    I park at the distant far end of the supermarket car park, with the other people that care about their cars. Both my car doors have been dented at home by my children.

Master
    Hardly ever clean the outside of my car, too tempting for the scrots imo. However the inside is alway immaculate as that's the bit I use!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not to mention tiny scratches from the hedgerow.
    A very good point! - the irony is I get far more pleasure out of rural driving down winding lanes and B roads, with all their mud, stones and hedgerows than I ever got from driving in Urban traffic jams. If I thought about keeping the car immaculate it might rather spoil the whole experience! I’m also a firm believer in ‘Sod’s law’ - if I polish and mollycoddle a car, some twat will dent it in a car park. If I let it get filthy for 3 months, park it anywhere and pretty much treat it like a fridge as opposed to a treasured possession, it remains unmarked (once it gets its 12 week wash) - even bird poo fails to leave a mark if it’s dropped onto filthy paintwork it seems!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Hardly ever clean the outside of my car, too tempting for the scrots imo. However the inside is alway immaculate as that's the bit I use!
    +1, I can’t stand a dirty untidy interior but I can’t se the point in being too precious about the outside.......unlike watches! If I acratch a watch I’m really not happy, even though I can refinish it myself, but a minor scratch on the car doesn’t worry me.

Even though I jeep my classic MGB in very nice condition I’ve never seen the point if the detailing thing. As for surface coatings, if the car hits a stone there’s still only one winner!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Knowing the thickness of paint/clear coat on most cars, I wouldn’t fancy someone removing half of it to achieve a flatter finish.
    Years back, before it was “normal” I was chatting to a guy about wet sanding, and it’s surprising what can be done.

The paint gets measured for depth throughout the process if he was to be believed.

Just looking at the likes of KDS’s work, it’s quite astounding what can be done.

The finish on a lot of brand new cars is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Car detailing

Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    It was a four day process and looks better than new when finished.
    Dont complain to me again if your wife sends you to the doghouse
    Last edited by raptor; 13th October 2019 at 19:19.

Craftsman
    I had mine done at a local bodyshop, not nearly as fancy but on offer for £150 with a machine polish. Must admit, I'm really impressed with the result and the car stays cleaner for longer and when you do come round to clean it it's much easier to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Dont complain to me again if your wife sends you to the doghouse
    I'm permanently in the doghouse.