closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Regulation Vs service

Regulation Vs service

I had my kermit serviced in around 2015 at Rolex. They polished it a bit too much for my liking but that's the risk one takes when they agree to a polish

But anyway. It's been gaining time for a while now. Something like 20 seconds a day or thereabouts

I have older Rolex watches which keep almost perfect time so I'm disappointed by my kermit's timekeeping

Question is, does my watch need a service or will regulation suffice? Would Rolex regulate at St James' square?

Thoughts?

Master
    Yes RSJ would do a quick regulation for walk ins for free. Takes 10 mins total when I did it earlier this year.

+20s a day is a shocker though - esp for a watch only serviced 4 years prior.. RSJ will probably suggest you service it as its coming to 5 years.

Grand Master
    I would not expect the watch to be in need of service after 4 years. However, something’s clearly happened to the watch, I’m sure it wasn’t running +20 after being serviced. Possibly the watch has been magnetised slightly, possibly it’s had a hard whack. The lubrication should still be fine, the timekeeping shouldn’t have changed by this amount over this time.

If no faults or problems can be found, provided the amplitude and positional agreement look fine and the auto- winding’s functioning OK I see no reason why it can’t be demagnetised and regulated.

Master
    Definitely wise to get it regulated first. Worst case you have to go back for a service but as Paul stated, shouldn't be in desperate need of a service.

Thanks

Will give them a call and pop in if they're happy to regulate it

Thanks guys for your insights

Grand Master
    Ask them to check how it's running (amplitude, rate, positional agreement). If they tell you it needs servicing ask them to justify their decision and ask for the numbers. If it's had a hard whack the hairspring could be slightly out of true but that'll be reflected in the positional agreement.

If the amplitude is good, and the positional agreement is good, with the rate being higher than desired, it should be OK to regulate. Years ago I bought an Explorer that had been Rolex serviced a couple of months previously, that watch gained around 8-10 secs/day. Eventually I bought the special tool and regulated it myself to around +2.....not a task for the faint-hearted on these and not something I`d repeat, too much risk of it going horribly wrong.

Noted

Spoke with London RSC who said they'd be happy to look at the watch for a regulation/partial repair and said they'd look at it being done on a complimentary basis. The lady said complimentary several times which was nice

But, London RSC is closed for refurb and reopens next June. So I can drop it off at WoS Bond St who will send it in to the Kent operation

I would check if it is magnetized first - that can result in big rate gains like that.

Demagnatizing is fast and cheap and may be all you need.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

How would I check? What equipment etc is needed?

Craftsman
    You can't easily check if it is or not without opening the watch. De magnetisers can be available cheaply but if used wrongly will make the watch worse. The decent de magnetisers like the Elma one are £150+ and they can't be used badly.

Above my pay grade

I think I'll drop it in as suggested and hopefully get it sorted without incurring expense

Master
    Using a demagnetiser would definitely not be above your pay grade and you can get them for £6.

If you were to drop into a good watchmaker I'm sure a demagntization and timegrapher check won't cost you more than £20 - the Rolex boutique may be able to do it? I know the Breitling, IWC and AP ones all would in store. No idea if the Rolex one has a watchmaker given they have St James up the road.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk