closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Swimming Pools

Craftsman

Swimming Pools

Does anyone know anything about swimming pools?

Specifically a small, wooden, above ground pool for the garden.

I’ve found the one I’d like and have got a solid, level concrete base for it already.

What I can’t work out is how to go about heating it. I’ve spoken to three different suppliers, all of whom have given me completely different advice re heaters v pumps v heat pumps. Some of which cost ridiculous money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VKE5A..._DG3NDbV83R4ZB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    Does anyone know anything about swimming pools?
    Skyman knows everything about everything, particularly swimming pools. I'm sure he'll be along shortly...

Blog Entries
    Riptide Neptune

Drop it in, fill it up, job done.

Turn on and swim against the jets.

https://youtu.be/Z2zGsWZIdaE
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 10th October 2019 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Riptide Neptune

Drop it in, fill it up, job done.

Turn on and swim against the jets.

https://youtu.be/Z2zGsWZIdaE
    I thought that video was a parody but it isn't. One of the cheesiest promo videos I've seen. I'm sure the product is good though.

Just buy a hot tub.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    agree with the hot tub.

If you think heaters and pumps are pricey...think of your energy bills.
    My mate had a pool in his garden on a house purchase, ran it for one year and then got it filled in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I thought that video was a parody but it isn't. One of the cheesiest promo videos I've seen. I'm sure the product is good though.
    Yup it's a corny video, but the thing itself is pretty good! Crane it in, connect the electric, fill it up and go. Swim jets one end with variable power and jacuzzi seating for 4 at the other end. And it will fit in a large conservatory or it's good out doors. Expensive to run? Yes. But if you're the sort of person who worries about that you're probably not looking at pools.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Just buy a hot tub.
    There's always a cheaper option!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Pools in warm countries are sensible and plentiful. so they are cheap and easy to maintain. My pools temperature was 29 degrees yesterday evening, compliments of the ever shining sun. There are loads of pool maintenance companies who do a good job of looking after the pool and all this makes a pool a pleasure to own.

Pools in the UK are a complete joke and even devalue your property. Hot tubs are monstrosities that get installed and used every day until the first electricity bill comes in.

I've got an above ground pool. It's wooden one too. We installed it in 2017 and have used it loads. Mine is below. It's heated by an Air source heat pump. from 16 degrees to get to 30 will take 2 days but then the filter is on for 8 hours a day- the heater isn't on for the entire 8 hours too . Only however long it needs to keep to get the water to 30. I use a solar cover which means maintenance is a lot less and it loses less heat.

ASHP is much , much cheaper to run than a gas boiler.

https://www.aquaworldwoodpools.co.uk...87/46547095612

A link to a thread I created before I bought which has some pics, Ignore the blue hosing - that has all been replaced by solid pipe and is much neater.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=ground+pool
    Last edited by eagletower; 11th October 2019 at 09:00.

I have an indoor pool in the basement and it’s not that bad cost wise to run. The gas and electric work out at around £80 per month and the chlorine 40. I have a pool guy maintain it but obviously could do it yourself. Outside pools are crazy expensive to heat due to the fact the heat is just being thrown away.

Solar covers make all the difference. I have one on a reel i can easily open and close. Without it my bills for heating the pool would easily be 3-4 times what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Just buy a hot tub.

Funnily enough, I was on a Legionella and Asbestos training day last week. I can rarely recall when I last had such little fun.

One thing did stick - the expert said that if he had to invent a machine to breed, harbour and deliver legionella, a hot tub would be it.
    So clever my foot fell off.

My folks have a relatively large (11m x 7m x 1.5m deep average) outdoor pool heated by the solar thermal system i specced up for them. In the winter it just manages to do a large part of the hot water in the house, in summer it does all the hot water by 10 am and gets the pool to 29 degrees for a couple of months with no problems, and it costs very little to run (the pumps use solar pv electric).
    We are use agricultural chlorine disinfectant to dose it, much cheaper rhan the pool stuff.

It is in no way a joke, and is the centre for a lot of visits by their grandchildren, so for that reason alone it makes my folks very happy indeed.

Yes, what's the attraction in sitting in a tub of water, we're not an aquatic species.