closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UK Christmas break ideas?

Craftsman

UK Christmas break ideas?

The wife and I usually have a long weekend break in December taking in the Christmas markets, previous ones have been Manchester, Edinburgh, Dublin, Paris, Prague, Budapest .
    This year she still wants a Christmas market weekend, but, in the UK and more of a Farmers/artisan craft market instead of the usual mulled wine/bratwurst/expensive tat style market.
    I`ve considered Bath but had a weekend there earlier this year so fancy something different, maybe Glasgow , York or Birmingham ?
    Any other ideas you could throw at me ?

regards, Daz.

Master
    Vienna would be my obvious choice, but if you want to stay in the UK what about York or Whitby?

Master
    Hampshire Farmers Market is pretty good and there are normally extra stalls in December. https://www.hampshirefarmersmarkets....aflet-2019.pdf

The South Downs National Park is a lovely area with good walking beaches, beautiful countryside and some interesting towns nearby Winchester, Chichester, Brighton and Guildford are all lovely in different ways. Winchester even has a Christmas Market but when I was last there a few years ago I thought it was carp although I'm very cynical about consumerism these days.

Have a look here for ones close to home if you don't fancy long travel again :

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fea...n-the-midlands

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Hampshire Farmers Market is pretty good and there are normally extra stalls in December. https://www.hampshirefarmersmarkets....aflet-2019.pdf

The South Downs National Park is a lovely area with good walking beaches, beautiful countryside and some interesting towns nearby Winchester, Chichester, Brighton and Guildford are all lovely in different ways. Winchester even has a Christmas Market but when I was last there a few years ago I thought it was carp although I'm very cynical about consumerism these days.
    Farmers market is good (one of the biggest in the country) and Christmas market isn’t bad either (although like most a bit commercial) https://www.winchester-cathedral.org...istmas-market/

Master
    My wife and I went to Lincoln Christmas Market last year and had a very good day out. Plenty of mulled wine and the like but also crafty type stuff in the grounds of the castle. If the stalls aren't to your liking there are plenty of nice independent shops too. Was allowed to stick my head in a couple of antique/junk type shops to root around for watches (nothing except some Seiko 5s that had seen better days).

There is also the Cathedral and castle to look around, a small fair too IIRC.

Had lunch in a very good pie shop and returned home with some gifts and several kilos of Lincolnshire sausages.

I was a bit sceptical but kept an open mind and enjoyed it.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

I'd avoid Brum like the plague - its awful

Have you considered Hereford? It is a real foody joint and has clearly got the "village" feel to it rather than the HUGE cities you have seen before.

I've not looked into xmas markets etc - but i'm sure they'll be loads going on.

Craftsman
    Come to Shrewsbury!! It's a lovely town with a huge selection of places to eat and drink. The Christmas food festival is in the town centre park on the 23rd and 24th of November.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I know it's a daytrip and not a weekend away for you (unless you fancy a weekend in somewhere like Ashbourne - I know a great cottage and it's new gastro-pub The Greenman is very good indeed) but Derby's Xmas craft fair at the Roundhouse is the best I've been to. 9th/10th of November. A nice venue and a genuinely superb selection of artisan makers - craft and food. This is indoor so it's not wander around some tat-filled faux-swiss chalets like so many.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Agree 100%...except that my wife and I did see Dave Hill from Slade casually strolling the market in a leather bomber jacket and santa hat one year.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

My wife and i took the train there last year.... Managed to get pretty pissed so ended up staying. We both really enjoyed ourselves.

Dusseldorf is still on the cards for this year..If that falls through we'll try Manchester. Either way we'll be pissed somewhere.

Master
    A friend of mine is off to Copenhagen for the xmas market soon. I enjoyed the Annecy xmas market and the town itself is beautiful at any time of year.
    The only one I've been to in the UK is Birmingham and it's definitely of the beer, brat and tat variety.