closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who actually makes your car

Who actually makes your car

My business is contract electronics manufacturing, but this is another level

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Steyr

I never knew that but to be honest the list of cars they make is not that long, the 10 or so cars in my immediate family and none of my neighbours cars are made there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I remember reading a few years ago the Boxster was farmed out and built in Finland. Our Mercedes GLC is built in the Cezh Republic

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I remember reading a few years ago the Boxster was farmed out and built in Finland. Our Mercedes GLC is built in the Cezh Republic
    Pretty sure that's incorrect; all GLCs are built in Bremen, Germany.

The Finnish company you mention is Valmet.

Master
    Doesn't the Jeep Cherokee (as was) get made out in Austria? I presume this is the same Steyr who make the SIG-Steyr, favoured handgun of US Special Forces and others

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Doesn't the Jeep Cherokee (as was) get made out in Austria? I presume this is the same Steyr who make the SIG-Steyr, favoured handgun of US Special Forces and others
    SIG Sauer, different company (I used to have a P226 9mm!). There is though Steyr AUG who make bullpup assault rifles.

Steyr made some diesel Jeeps iirc.
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; 10th October 2019 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Look under cancelled contracts, says the Boxster ended up at Karmann

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_Automotive

this lot made the Boxster 97-2011
    Last edited by adrianw; 10th October 2019 at 11:53.

I always found it reassuring that my old Jeep Grand Cherokee(s) were put together by Hans and Jürgen in Austria, rather than Hank and Billy-Bob in the US

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I always found it reassuring that my old Jeep Grand Cherokee(s) were put together by Hans and Jürgen in Austria, rather than Hank and Billy-Bob in the US
    I think Hans, Jurgen, Hank and billy-bob were all mostly replaced with Robots long ago lol.

I can categorically say that one of their claimed cars was fully manufactured in house - I'd mistrust the rest of the list somewhat too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I can categorically say that one of their claimed cars was fully manufactured in house - I'd mistrust the rest of the list somewhat too.

OK I’ll bite, why would a company the size of Magna lie https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_International

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    SIG Sauer, different company (I used to have a P226 9mm!). There is though Steyr AUG who make bullpup assault rifles.

handguns as well - I knew there were some deluxe ones - once saw someone in Las Vegas thinking about buying one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

They make some great air rifles as well

My Q5 was made by robots, ably assisted by a bunch of Mexicans.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    OK I’ll bite, why would a company the size of Magna lie https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_International
    I'm not saying they have, I'm questioning the Wikipedia artical, which is open source.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I'm not saying they have, I'm questioning the Wikipedia artical, which is open source.

I put the wiki article in because it saved a lot of typing

Reminds me of the ‘japan made casio/seiko vs Thai made equivalent’ threads that crop up now and then. Apart from a few models, surely you’re looking at the same robots running the same programs fed the same raw materials - just in different countries, producing the same watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Reminds me of the ‘japan made casio/seiko vs Thai made equivalent’ threads that crop up now and then. Apart from a few models, surely you’re looking at the same robots running the same programs fed the same raw materials - just in different countries, producing the same watch?

No, not if you think your Jaguar is made in the UK or your BMW is made in Germany and it weights your purchasing decision, you may want to support local manufacturing, the manufactures should be more up front about it.

Steyr have made parts for cars for donkeys years. The original Freelander used their transmissions, they also build various compments for other JLR models now.
    They also make folding roofs for many soft top vehicles.
    If you can be bothered go on YouTube and Google Steyr Puch Haflinger and Pinzgauer.
    Probably 2 of the most capable off roads out there.
    The Haflinger was designed for the Swiss army and its purpose was to carry 6 equipped troops across the Alps. Engine in the rear 600cc 2 cylinder engine....quite amazing

https://youtu.be/D0b2Dezs7as

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    No, not if you think your Jaguar is made in the UK or your BMW is made in Germany and it weights your purchasing decision, you may want to support local manufacturing, the manufactures should be more up front about it.
    Fair enough - tbh I assumed everyone knew that was no longer the case