closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ron Hill Tracksters

Master

Ron Hill Tracksters

Anybody else wear them ?
    I've been wearing them for a good 30 years for running then mountain biking and now hiking.
    Many of the pairs I wear are 20+ years old and although I do a lot of walking they just don't wear out.
    The latest ones I bought have no front pockets but a long horizontal one at the back.
    But I can't find any of the original ones in blue with red piping and front pockets.
    Anyone know where I could get some ??

Grand Master
    A blast from the past! I ran in those back in the late 70s when I was young and fit. I liked them because they were very stretchy and flexible, never liked anything tight around the legs and I still don't.

No idea whether they're still available.

I recall the Ron Hill freedom shorts from the 70s, that's what we all wore. In hindsight they looked like bloody nappies, especially if they were a tad too big

Happy days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A blast from the past! I ran in those back in the late 70s when I was young and fit. I liked them because they were very stretchy and flexible, never liked anything tight around the legs and I still don't.

No idea whether they're still available.

I recall the Ron Hill freedom shorts from the 70s, that's what we all wore. In hindsight they looked like bloody nappies, especially if they were a tad too big

Happy days.
    Happy days indeed.
    Thee and me must be the same vintage, 1958 ?
    It was early 90's when I started running properly and they were a must for winter training or races.
    I've still got the ones with stirrups but at 61 they don't wear well on me hahaha

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I used to wear them all the time, not just for running but also hill walking/climbing and cycling too. I'm sure I still have a pair or two in the bottom of a wardrobe somewhere but wouldn't dream of ever wearing them again.....there's just so much better stuff available these days. I fondly remember calling friends from the local phone box with a handful of coins lined up.....but similarly would want to ever go back to that.

My black with white piping Tracksters still get worn for a cold days mountain bike trail blast. I used to have two pairs but an 'off' tore the knee out of one pair and they were consigned to the bin. I've probably had the remaining pair for twenty five years! My PE teacher at upper school only ever wore blue with red piping, even to school assembly. I always thought it was a PE teacher's uniform.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I used to wear them all the time, not just for running but also hill walking/climbing and cycling too. I'm sure I still have a pair or two in the bottom of a wardrobe somewhere but wouldn't dream of ever wearing them again.....there's just so much better stuff available these days. I fondly remember calling friends from the local phone box with a handful of coins lined up.....but similarly would want to ever go back to that.
    I haven't seen anything similar for the same sort of price, £30ish.
    I did see something like them in a hiking shop in Keswick recently for about a £100.
    They're ideal for hill walking but better with front pockets

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    My black with white piping Tracksters still get worn for a cold days mountain bike trail blast. I used to have two pairs but an 'off' tore the knee out of one pair and they were consigned to the bin. I've probably had the remaining pair for twenty five years! My PE teacher at upper school only ever wore blue with red piping, even to school assembly. I always thought it was a PE teacher's uniform.
    I'd forgotten all about the teacher bit.
    Our PE teacher wore something similar and I'm going back to 69/70 now.
    Did they make them so long ago ?

My Foska mountain bike tops are something else that's lasted the distance, especially the British made ones.

Craftsman
    Mine occasionally still get an outing! If you really want a pair:
    https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/bu...assic_4988.htm
    I think the blue one's with pockets were called mountain tracksters?
    Last edited by craggie; 10th October 2019 at 18:18.

Master
    Remember them well, these days I use the under armour ones which don’t have the foot stirrups but have worked for me and seem to be lasting well after an amazon offer caught my eye I’ve been very pleased with them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Remember them well, these days I use the under armour ones which don’t have the foot stirrups but have worked for me and seem to be lasting well after an amazon offer caught my eye I’ve been very pleased with them.
    How much were they and what name do they go under ?
    I like the t shirts they do but a tight fitting one wouldn't look good on a 61 year old bloke I don't think

Master
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Armou...%2C167&sr=8-66

They’re the ones I’m currently using I think they where £16 in a sale amazon where running a while back so I took a punt and to be fair they’ve been pretty good no complaints so far.

Master
    Probably a little tighter than the tracksters from memory but loose enough not to be leggings

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Probably a little tighter than the tracksters from memory but loose enough not to be leggings
    Thanks for that.
    I've had a look at some challengers, they're the sort of thing I'm after and as my legs are skinny it won't be a problem.
    Ta

Pretty well compulsory attire for rock climbers in the late 80s to 90s
    I still have an old pair somewhere.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Ron Hill Tracksters

Hmmm, nobody told me they were out of fashion :-o - still wear mine for running all year round (it’s very rare for me to get my legs out into fresh air!)

I wear the classic - don’t think the one you’re after has been made for a while, but the “Infinity pant” (!) may fit the bill...

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...ants-%7E-aw19/

I remember when they were the default clothing choice for fat army wives 😀

Master
    Still have my original RH blue with red piping and use them regularly for hill walking. Defo built to last and plenty of life left in them. They must be 20+ yrs now

Mike

Master
    Still use them now and they were pretty much uniform at the track in Cov back in the day. But only newbies actually use the stirrups, much cooler not too back then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Still use them now and they were pretty much uniform at the track in Cov back in the day. But only newbies actually use the stirrups, much cooler not too back then.
    Yeah nae stirrups was the look.

Master
    Wearing mine today under motorcycle pants as a fitted but warm layer. Like most folk on here probably 30/35 years trackster wearing!

I get mine from the cycle retailer Wiggle, £15 from memory, I recon I was paying £15 twenty five years ago too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Wearing mine today under motorcycle pants as a fitted but warm layer. Like most folk on here probably 30/35 years trackster wearing!

I get mine from the cycle retailer Wiggle, £15 from memory, I recon I was paying £15 twenty five years ago too
    I think I've had Ron Hills from there too and I've definitely had mtb bits.

I'm surprised nowhere in Keswick sold them.
    I think I last got a pair in a shop,in Ambleside and they were buttons at the time.

Like everyone else, I've found they just don't wear out.Back in the 80's and 90's all the Ron Hill gear was made in Britain but the quality certainly hasn't dropped in standard now it isn't.

If I had a pound for every mile my various Ron Hills have run biked and hiked I would be seriously wealthy.

Ron Hill Tracksters

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I remember when they were the default clothing choice for fat army wives
    I just laughed out loud at that!!! They were indeed.
    FFS that is a harrowing memory. Brilliant!

I wore mine (issued, obvz) for years, and once I left cut them down into shorts. My old chums still refer to me as Rob Hill on occasion.

Bet they’ve been turned into dusters now, not seen them for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Thanks for that.
    I've had a look at some challengers, they're the sort of thing I'm after and as my legs are skinny it won't be a problem.
    Ta

No problem hopefully you’re as happy with them as I am mine

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I remember when they were the default clothing choice for fat army wives 

Rofl that’s just brought back some horrific memories