closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Size/Wrist size

Apprentice

Watch Size/Wrist size

Hi All,

i am really knew to the watch scene and need some advice from all you experienced watch guru's. I really like the Tag Heuer Aquaracer 43mm & Omega Seamaster 42mm but then I noticed a few weeks ago Wrist size/Watch size seems a big thing and wonder now will these watches suit by 6.5inch wrist? I am 6f5 and the guy in the Tag Shop kept talking about I needed a 43mm watch with being so tall.

Any advice on watch sizes would be helpful.

Thanks

Just try some on and see how they look on you. There's no rule. You'll be the one wearing it so if you feel comfortable, then it's fine.

It's not just the width though. The lug to lug size and how the lugs curve makes a difference, so you might think a 42mm in one watch looks great, but another 42mm will look and feel wrong because the lugs are longer and flatter, or whatever.

The only way to know is try them on.

Yes you can pull that off with 6.5 wrist. Especially 42mm.

Don't go 44+ though, that's when it will start to look silly in my opinion.

Master
    My experience is that the lug-to-lug measurement is key. My general sweet-spot in terms of watch size is 40-42mm but regardless of that I can't handle anything with a L2L size of >50mm. I've therefore got watches in my collection that are >42mm but wear smaller because of that L2L measurement (and vice versa). The best advice is always to try watches on - I've lusted after many watches over the years that have then turned out to be disappointing, either because they didn't fit me well or just didn't look that great in the metal/on my wrist.

SGR

Master
    Blog Entries
    I generally trust sales people as far as I could throw them,try a few on then make up your mind ,don’t be pushed into buying a watch your not happy with.

Master
    I agree there are no rules! It's what you are comfortable with. The case size is a guide but shape and style affect the visual appearance a lot, and weight and thickness affect the wearability, along with lug curvature and bracelet/strap quality.

That said, my wrist is 6.75" max on a hot day and I wear 2 thick 42mm watches. I probably wouldn't go larger, and tbf, if 40mm versions had been available I'd have considered them. Both are divers which can be heavy as they have thick/strong cases, but the wide bezels make the dials and overall watch appearance shrink a little.

Apprentice
    Everyone thanks for all the advice and maybe the two watches I like do fit. Anywhere I can find out the lug to lug ratio for the 42mm seasmaster and 43mm aquaracer?

Quote Originally Posted by pthomas2013 View Post
    Everyone thanks for all the advice and maybe the two watches I like do fit. Anywhere I can find out the lug to lug ratio for the 42mm seasmaster and 43mm aquaracer?
    Can you not just go and try them on?

Master
    There's a big difference between trying a watch on (and feeling its comfort) and living with it daily.

After several years I've come to the firm belief that 39-40mm is my sweet spot and my bigger watches are, more often, lying ignored and unworn.

Today I'm wearing my 41mm Omega SM and this is pretty much at my upper limit for long term comfort.

I've bought several chunky pieces on my watch journey but each one has been admired more than worn. This is a perverse pattern I need to end!

Apprentice
    Tried them both on but find the sales people pushy. Could not tell which suited me best.

Grand Master
    Shape of wrist makes a difference too, I have square wrists that don't suit large watches or watches that are larger from lug to lug. A slim but square wrist can carry larger watches more easily, though I have to say that a 6.5" wrist will struggle with many of todays large designs. Fortunately for me I`m a fan of older/vintage watches, I have a 6.75" wrist and I find most of the modern stuff doesn`t suit me.

Square watches often wear larger, and some seem to sit on the wrist like bricks.

You really do need to get out there and try a few on, don`t be too influenced by what the sales guys tell you.

Master
    The only people who get fixated about watch sizes are rather saddoe WIS's and there is no need to become like one of them.

Just take a look at your average guy in the street, they wear all sizes and nobody even gives a second glance.

Wear what looks right on your wrist and leave it at that.

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the advice and confidence guys :) Omega it is :)

Master
    Good choice, its a great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Shape of wrist makes a difference too, I have square wrists that don't suit large watches or watches that are larger from lug to lug. A slim but square wrist can carry larger watches more easily, though I have to say that a 6.5" wrist will struggle with many of todays large designs. Fortunately for me I`m a fan of older/vintage watches, I have a 6.75" wrist and I find most of the modern stuff doesn`t suit me.

Square watches often wear larger, and some seem to sit on the wrist like bricks.

You really do need to get out there and try a few on, don`t be too influenced by what the sales guys tell you.
    I'll bring a square brick with me - but it's one of my most comfortable watches too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The only people who get fixated about watch sizes are rather saddoe WIS's and there is no need to become like one of them.

Just take a look at your average guy in the street, they wear all sizes and nobody even gives a second glance.

Wear what looks right on your wrist and leave it at that.
    I don't think it's a case of being fixated - tiny watches on big wrists look a little off, likewise huge watches on thin wrists.

Which model/size?
    It's just a matter of time...

Just taking about sizes ‘on paper’ doesn’t really help you determine if a watch will suit you in the real world. Below is a selection of watches on my 7” wrist 6’3” frame. I felt they all worked for me.
    Examples are from 44mm down to 33mm descending in size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    Just taking about sizes ‘on paper’ doesn’t really help you determine if a watch will suit you in the real world. Below is a selection of watches on my 7” wrist 6’3” frame. I felt they all worked for me.
    Examples are from 44mm down to 33mm descending in size.

Ignore that as pictures didn’t come out in order!
    Basically, try a watch on and see how you like it.

Master
    Put it on your wrist, do you like it? Job done.

No rules, just go with what's right. Watches of a similar size can look very different on the same wrist, a dress watch with a relatively small bezel area can look big, whereas some divers with bigger bezels can make the watch look smaller. Equally the shape of the lugs can impact, curved lugs on a larger watch can make the whole thing look smaller (think BPFF).

My wrists are 7.25" and as a general rule my sweetspot is 39mm to 42mm although I have worn larger and smaller. G-Shocks again defy the rules as the shape is completely different and most people enjoy wearing them.