closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedmaster or Explorer

Journeyman

Speedmaster or Explorer

Hi guys,

I'm torn between these two watches, one the one hand i love the Speedy Moonwatch (Hesalite) due to its history, its look and feel, it just has something about it. But having doubts about its practicality in terms of water resistance and manual winding. I know i could go for the Sapphire sandwich but i just love the look of the Hesalite version. On the other hand i could opt for the Rolex Explorer, a watch i have always admired for its versatility, every day 'one watch' appeal. Its water resistance to 100m, sapphire and has a better clasp with the easy link. It is more expensive however although not by a lot considering the Speedmasters recent price increase! I'm also not sure how long the wait would be for the Explorer?

Help me decide!

Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries
    Explorer for me,I’ve really come to appreciate a plain uncluttered dial,might be due to old age tho

Master
    From the way you have written your post I would say you want the explorer more than the Speedmaster. I have a Speedmaster and considered an Explorer but felt the newer 39mm case feels out of proportion. I don't think too many others seem to share that opinion though.

The manual winding I don't think is an issue for daily wear, I just habitually wind it before I put it on in the morning, I like it actually. The WR is also not an issue most of the time for me. At least on work days when if I am being submerged then something has gone very wrong. However during weekends and time not at work I am around or in water an awful lot so Speedy couldn't be my only watch, just my 90% of the time watch.

So, if I was in your shoes it would be Speedmaster if not around water all the time, previous gen 114270 Explorer if I was/if I just wanted an Explorer (which it sounds like you do!). Both the 114270 and 214270 are available on watchfinder and others but pay a premium. I imagine its probably possible to get a discount on the Omega from an AD, although I have no experience of this.

I would go speedmaster because of the way they are holding their value now compared to other watches.

You can buy one brand new, use it for 10 years and still get thousands back for it and sell it in a flash.

Master
    These are two totally different watches, they are chalk and cheese.

I would opt for the simplicity of the Explorer but only the OP can decide which one is best for him.

Journeyman
    Previous statement, "I would go speedmaster because of the way they are holding their value now compared to other watches".

I would go with an Explorer, as stated less clutter but both are nice watches. IMHO the Explorer will hold its value better than a Speedmaster, unless you get some kind of Ltd Edition.

Richy

I've had both and still have the explorer. I would pick explorer. If you're looking at the explorer you might also want to look at the OP39 in black to compare the two.

Why should our opinions influence yours? Are you buying it for us to enjoy (very generous, may I be first on the list for the free month long watch share) or for yourself?
    They are both cracking watches, you can't go wrong with either.

If you really can't make your mind up, there are two things I usually do.

Take a coin. Heads watch A, tails watch B. Flip the coin.
    If you're pleased with the result, buy that watch. If you're instantly filled with dread & regret, buy the other one.

OR
    Buy them both. It may sound like an unaffordable extravagance, but honestly, compared to the divorce that will follow, it's peanuts.

With more watches, cometh more WISdom.

Time for the voice of reason methinks. You need to buy them both.
    F.T.F.A.

I ended up with both of these at one time and as brilliant as the Explorer is, I kept the Speedy. As long as you have a waterproof watch for the pool then a Speedy can work as an everyday watch. The Rolex is the better choice if it’s just one watch though.

Master
    Ditto the explorer here too. Both have the history but for everyday wear has to be the automatic, but I would miss the date!

Explorer. Simple.

Master
    Having just picked up a new explorer, I would say explorer. Although I do really like the Omega too. If you get an explorer and decide you should have got the speedy at least you can sell the explorer easily and probably for the same price as you paid, if not more.

I waited 5 weeks for mine but there is some luck involved and each AD will be a little different but you shouldn't have to wait very long.

Grand Master
    Buy used and own both.......eventually.

Craftsman
    if you buy well you can pretty much buy one, try it and if it's not a keeper flip it, for little to no loss, and try the other.

Which do you prefer size wise? 36mm 39mm 42mm?

I'd go 42mm speedmaster broad arrow myself

Could go FOIS if you're not keen on manual wind also?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Buy used and own both.......eventually.
    That’s the way. They’re two very different watches. Whichever you get you’ll still want the other one.

That’s where I’m at anyway, I’ve had a Speedmaster and now got the OP39, very similar to an Explorer. And I’d like another Speedmaster. So your decision is which do you get first - the answer is the Speedmaster as that’s the one that’s available to buy now.

Journeyman
    I have 214270 which ı wear daily and very happy
    but my suggestıon is buy both of them if you can managed

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Explorer.

Journeyman
    Thanks guys. I think I’m leaning towards the Explorer 214270 39mm. I would buy used but its more expensive than retail, ive just popped into the AD and they said i should have one before Christmas which im happy with.

And as mentioned if i dont like it at least i could get my money back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just by ignoring price and 'investment' and all these kind of criteria, taking into consideration just aesthetics, I would go for the Speedmaster.

I have one and I would not change it even for a brand new Explorer.

Evangelos

Explorer for me!

Last edited by paneristi372; 11th October 2019 at 10:58.

Journeyman
    I’ve always found the Speedie ‘warmer’ than the Explorer but that’s just my kink. They’re both awesome watches - is it actually a dilemma if there isn’t a wrong choice?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had a speedmaster reduced and a 36mm explorer.
    I still have the explorer, but then again, I certainly regret selling the speedmaster, and will hopefully pick up another one soon, a reduced that is.

Both are great, you can't go wrong with either.

Grand Master
    I have a 3510.50 Speedy Reduced which I`ll never sell. Sold my 36mm Explorer last year and I can`t say I`ve missed it, even though it was a super watch I`d had it 10 years and decided it could go.

Second-hand Speedys can be picked up for sensible money, on that basis I`d buy the Explorer new then scrape the piggy bank (or save up) for a decent Speedy with a budget of 2K tops. Speedys scrub up well, the cases can be refinished and a new bezel can be fitted, they can be made to look new again unless they're battered. An early 2000s with luminova is where the best value can be found, particularly if it's had a full Omega service and refinish in recent years. Avoid the elitism of the vintage stuff that looks a tiny bit different to the later ones.

Had a couple of Speedy Moonwatches on my bench this year, I like 'em, but they wear too big for my taste so I make do with the reduced, the only watch I`ve owned from new!

Craftsman
    As I prefer a continuous central seconds rather than sub seconds, and generally a minimum of 100m water resistance, I would choose the explorer out of those 2.

However, I own the Speedmaster Pro, (sandwich) and it is a nice watch. Handsome and accurate. Chronograph comes in handy too. Tough too. But the lower water resistance does stop it being a one watch wearer (for me).

Craftsman
    Speedy.

Craftsman

Taaaa daaa here is your answer

Explorer is probably more practical however the Speedies are a great size with a lot going on

One Watch, explorer. Part of a larger collection, speedmaster.
    It's just a matter of time...

Explorer all day long. Two very different watches though so it's very subjective.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either as they are both fantastic classic watches. If you buy a speedy, pick up a GShock.

If you can try on both, it may help with your final decision.

I don't like the 3-6-9 font shape of modern explorers and I prefer printed indexes so I would go for the iconic speedmaster

I’d vote for the explorer, regret letting mine go!

Speedy all day long for me, but only you can decide between those two, they're wildly different.

They are so different.
    For me I’ve had the Speedie and let it go. Would I own another? Yep probably. The Explorer is close to perfect as you can get for a one watch collector.
    It all depends on your demands on a watch. My personal worry with the Speedie was I am a robust and generally clumsy person and I never wanted to bash the Speedie around. Yet for some very strange reason I’d be ok with the explorer!

I think the question would be which one are you going to get first?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had both and you wouldn’t regret either. That being said, the Speedy is the I’ve kept over all others as it’s so versatile and looks great on so many different straps. Swapping with a nato, canvas, black croc strap or the bracelet is like having a different watch every time.
    A couple of photos just for the hell of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    I think the question would be which one are you going to get first?
    Very much this

Master
    I have both. If I had to keep only one, I would keep the Explorer all day long. Sees a lot more wrist time, but both are lovely watches.

In all honesty I think both are rather boring.
    I would look around for something more interesting.
    Probably JLC Master.

Grand Master
    The old chestnut about water resistance always crops up when the Speedy is discussed. I’ve pressure tested a Moonwatch to 6 bar and it was fine. That might sound modest, because we all know that many watches are rated to 10bar, but seeing a watch immersed in a wet tester at 6 bar does focus the mind and bring it all into context. Ask yourself what you’re going to do with the watch and whether it us going to leak, for the vast majority of us the answer for a watch with a 50 m rating is ‘no’.

I would never allow the WR limitations if the Speedy to put me off, folks get hung up on this simply because there are plenty of watches that boast bigger numbers.

Mist of my watches were originally rated to 3 bar, and they pass that test today. That’s a tick in the WR box, I know they won’t leak if I get caught in rain or forget to take one off whilst washing the car, bathing the dog, or bathing myself. Seriously, that’s all you really need!

What about buying a Speedmaster and PRS25 to scratch the Explorer itch.

Explorer or an OP39

Craftsman
    Speedy for me. I can't get along with the numerals on the Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    What about buying a Speedmaster and PRS25 to scratch the Explorer itch.
    +1

Speedy plus smiths everest?

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Speedy plus smiths everest?

BUBI 0_0
    Or, just being practical,
    Explorer.
    Then you can resell it to buy the speedy.
    And five smiths.

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Blog Entries
    Flip a coin then buy the other one in 6 months. It’s inevitable.

The 3-6-9 Explorer is a bit boring to my eyes but I appreciate its a classic watch, for the cost of the Explorer you could go vintage Speedy which would be a no brainer for me.

Something from the early/mid 70's with a step dial, sharp case, 1171 bracelet and serviced would be a great buy, probably have change for a beater thats more waterproof.

Master
    If resale value matters to you it has to be the Explorer (if you can find one). I have also generally found Spoeedy's not to be magnificent timekeepers, and if you have OCD the chrono hour hand slip can be a bit annoying. I also could never the the bracelet the right size.

If the Speedy was the price it should be - 1k less - then deffo that. But if you can find an Explorer I think it's a 'no brainer'.