closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedmaster or Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The old chestnut about water resistance always crops up when the Speedy is discussed. I’ve pressure tested a Moonwatch to 6 bar and it was fine. That might sound modest, because we all know that many watches are rated to 10bar, but seeing a watch immersed in a wet tester at 6 bar does focus the mind and bring it all into context. Ask yourself what you’re going to do with the watch and whether it us going to leak, for the vast majority of us the answer for a watch with a 50 m rating is ‘no’.

I would never allow the WR limitations if the Speedy to put me off, folks get hung up on this simply because there are plenty of watches that boast bigger numbers.

Mist of my watches were originally rated to 3 bar, and they pass that test today. That’s a tick in the WR box, I know they won’t leak if I get caught in rain or forget to take one off whilst washing the car, bathing the dog, or bathing myself. Seriously, that’s all you really need!
    Back in the 1990s I bought a used speedy, from the mid 70s. I knew no better and used it for everything , including swimming, showers etc. Sadly I sold it to finance a planet Ocean , and although I’ve got another speedmaster in my collection now, I’m a bit less cavalier with the water, but I bet it would be fine.

Speedie is way more handsome.
    Mine was the most accurate mechanical watch I’ve ever owned.
    I had it serviced properly and had no issue swimming in it. If I ever reached 30m the watch would be the least of my concerns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    The 3-6-9 Explorer is a bit boring to my eyes but I appreciate its a classic watch, for the cost of the Explorer you could go vintage Speedy which would be a no brainer for me.

Something from the early/mid 70's with a step dial, sharp case, 1171 bracelet and serviced would be a great buy, probably have change for a beater thats more waterproof.

Great shots

Grand Master
    If you like the Speedy enough you can accept the minor limitations of the timekeeping, it's a hand-wound watch and it's no chronometer rated. having said that I`ve had good results after careful regulation, but that's based on my 'standard' wear pattern and keeping the watch in a high state of wind by winding twice/day (which I always recommend).

As I said previously, if you like both, buy both.....eventually, and buy a Speedy second-hand.

On reflection, I think both watches are a bit over-rated but that's not to say I don`t like them. A second-hand Zenith El Primero runs rings around the Moonwatch in terms of quality and timekeeping, but that doesn`t make it more desirable to some.

The answer is to build a collection of watches you like over a period of years, buying used when you have the spare money or when opportunities arise. Trust me, it works.

Journeyman
    Thankyou for all your opinion, suggestions and advice guys I really appreciate it.

Quick question, where is the best place to buy used?

Journeyman
    Speedy, it’s a great watch!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    personally id probably go for the explorer. but the speedy is great too. personal preferance . at the end of the day it doesnt matter what the resale is like or what anyone else thinks if you are wearing a watch you dont like

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A second-hand Zenith El Primero runs rings around the Moonwatch in terms of quality and timekeeping
    Good point that.

Here are mine. I love them both but for me the Explorer would be my choice (if I had to pick one). As previous posts, better WR, better bracelet, better lume and a watch that goes with any occasion.

You can’t go wrong with either however!

Grand Master
    Definitely needs both, but there’s an ‘ouch ‘ factor with the money involved at current prices.

One reason I sold my Explorer 36 mm last year was the rise in prices, I bought mine used in 2008 and when it was an £1800 watch and I was happy. Once the value went north of £3.5k it made less sense, I’d owned it 10 years, and I decided I wouldn’t miss it.

I’m currently wearing an early 50s steel Omega Seamaster bumper automatic, restored by my good self, it isn’t perfect but I find owning this watch (value around £650) far more appealing than having close to £4k on my wrist.....but I see things differently to many on here.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th October 2019 at 23:38.

i have both, i actually find the explorer dial a bit boring and slightly too shiny (it's better now they've lumed the arabics), whereas the speedy has much more warmth and a beautiful balance in its layout. nevertheless i wear the explorer more, simply because i've started to find 42mm a bit too big on me. I think 39mm is pretty much perfect everyday size.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman86 View Post
    Thanks guys. I think I’m leaning towards the Explorer 214270 39mm. I would buy used but its more expensive than retail, ive just popped into the AD and they said i should have one before Christmas which im happy with.

And as mentioned if i dont like it at least i could get my money back!

You’re in Bristol? Which AD did you hear that from? I struck out in Cardiff - “no idea when we last had one in let alone next...”
    I want a new 39 explorer!

P.s. work in Cardiff, live in Bristol
    Ppl. bought an Everest to satisfy me while I wait!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgillett View Post
    You’re in Bristol? Which AD did you hear that from? I struck out in Cardiff - “no idea when we last had one in let alone next...”
    I want a new 39 explorer!

P.s. work in Cardiff, live in Bristol
    Ppl. bought an Everest to satisfy me while I wait!
    Goldsmiths, unless he was just lying! But i understand the Explorer is no where near the same wait and demand of other more pricey Rolex steel sports models

Blog Entries
    If the Explorer was still 36mm I’d say get the Speedie, but at 39mm I’d get the Explorer new first and the Speedie afterwards second hand.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have owned both, had one Explorer and I'm on my sixth Speedy now. Both great watches the speedy edges it though. Such a special watch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Master
    Get the classic Man on the Moon Speedy Pro now, wait until the steel Rolex bubble bursts and pick up an Explorer from a distressed seller. Also I'd go for the Explorer II 16570 Polar, then you have chrono, GMT and date complications, auto or manual plus a black and white dials to choose between. Perfect two watch collection for sport or work, only falling short for black-tie events.

Then you could expand with a pucka dress watch, SMP 300 diver, Navitimer and a Flieger B-Uhr beater to cover the aero angles.

Last edited by J J Carter; 14th October 2019 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Get the classic Man on the Moon Speedy Pro now, wait until the steel Rolex bubble bursts and pick up an Explorer from a distressed seller.
    That old bubble again.....

Craftsman
    Speedy. If you prefer smaller size, then Explorer.

Master
    Just dusted off my explorer after being unworn for a good few months, and I've almost forgotten how svelte the watch is. The dial is larger than the 40mm divers I'm more used to. So for pure legibility alone, I'd recommend it.

Very tough decision. I feel there is a place in a collection for both of these watches together. Although they are obvs very different - they are also quite similar. The Explorer is kinda Rolexs Speedy. It can be dressed up or down and it looks great on most straps.

I've always been a huge fan of the Speedy on a leather strap (not a fan of the bracelet), however I think I'd go with the Explorer because of its cleaner dial and better bracelet - it has a higher quality look about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Speedy. If you prefer smaller size, then Explorer.
    I think that hits the nail on the head for me. I have owned both and personally preferred the size of the Speedmaster. Both are great and very different watches, but the size issue I think dominates personal preference.