closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 52

Thread: Beater for £300

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,038

    Beater for £300

    Morning all, I'm after a beater for general duties and have a couple in mind but was wondering what I'm missing for around £300. On my list so far is a G Shock GWG-1000, G Shock GPW-1000, Seiko Samurai or a modded SKX007 (or similar) of some type. Wanting a diver or G Shock, 41mm or larger and, unless a G Shock, on a bracelet with a black face. Currently have the following in my small collection:
    Omega PO
    Seiko Padi Turtle
    Seiko SKX007 (standard).
    Garmin Fenix 5

    Had a couple of Orients in the past but never really got on with them. Been looking a quite a few modded Seikos on eBay but it's a mine field. Any other suggestions for my price range?

    Thanks all.

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    818
    If adding used watches, look no further than Steinhart. Great watches and support from them

  3. #3
    Master Lampoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lincs. The bit with hills.
    Posts
    4,648
    PRS-3 - A little bit over budget but where else are you going to get a new 300m diver with a Swiss automatic movement for £340?


  4. #4
    I would be looking at one of these at half your budget.

    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 10th October 2019 at 06:54.

  5. #5
    Or along similar lines, one of these:

    Citizen again,

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Div...0688682&sr=8-8

    Can be had for under £200, tough as old boots and leave some readies left over.


  6. #6
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,584
    Preowned CWC RN Diver, you wouldn't regret it.

  7. #7
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    29
    Seiko SKX gets my vote!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Surrey, U.K.
    Posts
    260
    The Helm range are in-budget: https://helmwatches.com/watches.html.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    If adding used watches, look no further than Steinhart. Great watches and support from them
    +1 for Steinhart. Excellent watches

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    Or along similar lines, one of these:

    Citizen again,

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Div...0688682&sr=8-8

    Can be had for under £200, tough as old boots and leave some readies left over.

    +1 - this an excellent watch & very often my go to (& holiday) watch.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,100
    Precista, Steinhart (used) and Citizen would be my main ports of call.

    Although your current collection seems to make a £300 beater a bit superfluous.

  12. #12
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    25,445
    Bought one of these for £309 (RRP £429) recently which is an excellent beater

    https://simpkinsjewellers.co.uk/watc...21k1?limit=100

  13. #13
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    3,782
    Scurfa? The quartz ones are very good value

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    113
    How about a Borealis? You might have to stretch the budget a little, but they fit your description perfectly. Weirdly there's always a better selection available via ebay (sold by the manufacturer I believe) than on the official website.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've had a couple of Steinhart's over the years so fancy something else. Do like the look of the Citizen's, had one a while back but like Seiko theres quite a few to choose from so will start looking into them.

    Thanks again.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    Or along similar lines, one of these:

    Citizen again,

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Div...0688682&sr=8-8

    Can be had for under £200, tough as old boots and leave some readies left over.

    Think this is winning so far👍

  17. #17
    Grand Master Der Amf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,101
    Seiko 5 SNZG13, currently £169 on Amazon, 42mm

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Analo...fix=snz&sr=8-1

    Decent all round quality, the money's gone into the case and bracelet rather than the dial.


  18. #18
    If you are keen on a Seiko why not fit in one of these, just over your budget I know.

    I have recently bought one and loving it. However not sure I would call it a beater but it's tough looking.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Seiko 5 SNZG13, currently £169 on Amazon, 42mm

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Analo...fix=snz&sr=8-1

    Decent all round quality, the money's gone into the case and bracelet rather than the dial.


    Bugger , I need one of those now, not least of all because of this https://benshop.co.uk/seiko-5-automa...ens-watch.html

  20. #20
    Eddie's new Smiths De Luxe Everest?

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    SE UK
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Think this is winning so far👍
    Use the change from your £300, to get yourself a navy blue Bonetto Cinturini 300 strap to go with it!


  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Preowned CWC RN Diver, you wouldn't regret it.
    Second vote for this, I use one for site visits etc & it's perfect for the job.

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    426

    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    +1 - this an excellent watch & very often my go to (& holiday) watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    Or along similar lines, one of these:

    Citizen again,

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Div...0688682&sr=8-8

    Can be had for under £200, tough as old boots and leave some readies left over.

    + 2 - bought one on holiday in Cornwall this summer. Great watch. Accurate within seconds a month and great looking. It is also relatively flat on the wrist, which I like. Also, eco drive means it's charged by any form of light, which for a quartz watch, for me, is great, as I hate having to go for battery changes in my watches.
    Last edited by 2012; 10th October 2019 at 16:27. Reason: Additional info.

  24. #24
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pinchbeck
    Posts
    6
    Feel free to rip a noob a new-one, but IMHO this hoses the alternatives at ~20% overspend:


  25. #25
    Craftsman comdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Liverpool / somerset
    Posts
    346
    Prs 18q, been hammering mine for a few years now, great beater watch


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    265
    Old seiko monster, black or orange used to be the go to for cheap, solid, reliable beaters. Not sure what prices are like these days but there's something very wrong if they are over £300

  27. #27
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    97
    Omega PO for £300?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Omega PO for £300?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Omega PO is one of the watches I listed as already having in my collection, not one I'm looking to buy for £300😉

    Thanks again for the suggestions, got some eBay/Google action to carry out now👍

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    169
    Horloscaphe

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,565
    I recently went for the newmark 71b for this role. While a limited release, I imagine they'll pop up for sale come December.

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    1,146
    One of these, tough as old boots.


  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    450
    One of these two Seikos (probably have to be used)



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    Journeyman namzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    239
    Donít discount the mini turtle, I have one and it thrives on beater duty.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Preowned CWC RN Diver, you wouldn't regret it.
    Interested in one of these at that price which I think is optimistic. I sold one a few years ago for more than that and have been looking for another!

  35. #35
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Donít discount the mini turtle, I have one and it thrives on beater duty.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was just about to say something similar! If you can widen your search to used models, you could probably pick one up for £250ish. I did and Iím delighted with it. Perfect beater for me.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Journeyman namzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I was just about to say something similar! If you can widen your search to used models, you could probably pick one up for £250ish. I did and Iím delighted with it. Perfect beater for me.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lovely, hereís mine:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    KB, IR
    Posts
    87
    +1

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,038
    Well thanks for all the posts everyone, gave me some great ideas and had fun searching through them (sometimes think researching them is more fun than actually receiving them!). In the end I went with a Seiko Samurai. Bought used so under budget, thanks again.


  39. #39
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Well thanks for all the posts everyone, gave me some great ideas and had fun searching through them (sometimes think researching them is more fun than actually receiving them!). In the end I went with a Seiko Samurai. Bought used so under budget, thanks again.

    Very nice indeed.

    Was it within budget may I ask?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Well thanks for all the posts everyone, gave me some great ideas and had fun searching through them (sometimes think researching them is more fun than actually receiving them!). In the end I went with a Seiko Samurai. Bought used so under budget, thanks again.

    Very nice indeed.

    Was it within budget may I ask?

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    253
    I would go Seiko samurai as well! Lovely watch I miss my one

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    Very nice indeed.

    Was it within budget may I ask?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Very nice indeed.

    Was it within budget may I ask?
    Yup, £30 under👍

  42. #42
    Journeyman namzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Well thanks for all the posts everyone, gave me some great ideas and had fun searching through them (sometimes think researching them is more fun than actually receiving them!). In the end I went with a Seiko Samurai. Bought used so under budget, thanks again.

    Great choice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Totally agree it's a great choice. I'm wearing mine as I type, enjoy.

    Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

  44. #44
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    218
    This calls for a Seiko MarineMaster!

  45. #45
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,482
    Used Sumo, maybe an SRP, could get quite a nice g shock for that price too.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 12th October 2019 at 15:00.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxia View Post
    This calls for a Seiko MarineMaster!
    Where can I buy one for £300?

  47. #47
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    254
    That's a good choice. And will last forever if looked after.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Morning all, I'm after a beater for general duties and have a couple in mind but was wondering what I'm missing for around £300. On my list so far is a G Shock GWG-1000, G Shock GPW-1000, Seiko Samurai or a modded SKX007 (or similar) of some type. Wanting a diver or G Shock, 41mm or larger and, unless a G Shock, on a bracelet with a black face. Currently have the following in my small collection:
    Omega PO
    Seiko Padi Turtle
    Seiko SKX007 (standard).
    Garmin Fenix 5

    Had a couple of Orients in the past but never really got on with them. Been looking a quite a few modded Seikos on eBay but it's a mine field. Any other suggestions for my price range?

    Thanks all.
    You've already got an SKX007... start using it. It has been made exactly for your purposes.

  49. #49
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    PRS-3 - A little bit over budget but where else are you going to get a new 300m diver with a Swiss automatic movement for £340?

    Probably one of the best for value for money.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  50. #50
    Craftsman martyloveswatches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Zadar, Croatia
    Posts
    374
    Heimdallr 6105 hommage watch, sapphire crystal with inner AR, hack&handwind Seiko NH (4R), ceramic bezel insert, 200m WR (or 300?), perfect alignment,...if you dont mind hommages, give it a try...I did and I am very very pleased! Great value for the money
    I think you can make an order through EU warehouse (or pay additional 20Ä or sth to ship it from EU) so no customs...

    Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •