closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Black Bay Chrono Experiences

Journeyman

Tudor Black Bay Chrono Experiences

Evening all,
    I was hoping to pick the brains of those of you that have tried/own(ed) the Tudor Black Bay Chrono.

At the weekend I was browsing through the shop window of Beaverbrooks and I fancied a look at the Heritage 36, but the BB Chrono caught my eye instantly. It wasn’t something I was really considering but I think I’m lusting after it instantly.

It looks stunning, my only quibble was the depth of the case, more than 14mm I believe. So a couple of mm more than the average for similar watches.

I was wondering what those of you that wear the BBChrono regularly thought about the depth of the case and the weight. Does it still wear comfortably after a long day with it on, or does the size of the watch start to make you notice it and want to take it off after a few hours?

Talk me out of giving Tudor my hard earned money ;) Thanks!

Been wearing one almost daily since mid December. Best watch I have owned in a long time. Comfy, robust, looks great, wears far better than the specs would have you believe, looks so much better on the wrist than any images of it.

I would unequivocally recommend one. Should be able to get 10/15% off retail with some smooth bants, if you wanted to buy new.

It does not wear heavy even on bracelet. On the NATO you’ll forget it’s there. I don’t even take it off to sleep anymore.

This is it right now, on my just shy of 7” wrist...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 9th October 2019 at 23:36.

No taller than a standard all-butter shortbread finger.....

And on my wrist:

Master
    Collect mine today quite excited, brown strap has turned up just waiting for the clasp.
    Will post photos and thoughts on contrast to wearing my other Tudor watches.

Love it! Bought it back in June and have been wearing it on a Zulu. The leather (that was offered to me!) I did not like because of the funny way the clasp is set up with the spare leather coming out the ‘wrong’ way....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Thanks very much all. Really glad to hear that the specs are deceiving. Looks really classy on your wrists.

That being said, it certainly won’t help my bank balance lol.

I’ll have to pop in over the next few days to see what I can negotiate.
    Thanks again all!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    No taller than a standard all-butter shortbread finger.....

And on my wrist:

Great choice of biscuit to compare the size to. I hope the biscuit didn’t last much longer after the picture was taken

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Collect mine today quite excited, brown strap has turned up just waiting for the clasp.
    Will post photos and thoughts on contrast to wearing my other Tudor watches.
    Nothing better than a new watch day! Looking forward to the pics. Did you buy it on the bracelet and have bought a Tudor leather ones to compliment it, or is it a different brand leather strap you’ve gone for?

Master
    I have gone for it on the Bracelet and ordered a Tudor leather strap with clasp.
    Mine also comes with the nato which is nice I suppose.
    Last edited by shoppy; 11th October 2019 at 01:11.

Journeyman
    I have gone for it on the Bracelet and ordered a Tudor leather strap with clasp.
    Mine also comes with the mayo which is nice I suppose.
    Oh that’s a nice added bonus! Did you order the leather strap via Tudor themselves?

Master
    Strap direct from Tudor, here it is on first impressions very comfy and not at all too big

Win!

Lovely watch.... you just have it on the wrong wrist

Here’s mine, and some toast

They are lovely watches. One is on my wish list too but not just yet, as I’ve been offered a BB Black (not the limited edition chrono unfortunately) at a very good price and the 41mm case fits me very well indeed.

I do regularly wear my BB Bronze, which in theory should be way too big for my tiny wrist but I forget I’ve got it on after a short while. I think the whole BB line wear brilliantly and you won’t go wrong with the chrono

I couldn’t resist a quick biscuit photo . I feel this should be the way all watches are measured for fit. BB Bronze vs. M&S Sicilian lemon and white chocolate. Very comfy. And tasty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NCC66; 11th October 2019 at 12:03.

Craftsman
    The steel looks fantastic - wish it was a little (quite a lot) thinner though

Journeyman
    Loving the photos/biscuit size comparison. Should definitely be a thing! Lol

If you want a change up it also suits dark leather (Pav79)
    Black with white/cream stitching
    The Tudor denim nato works also ....
    But recently nothing can get me to take it off the original Erika’s ...

Journeyman
    What does everyone think a good price on one is? My local has the brown leather strap version currently on clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    What does everyone think a good price on one is? My local has the brown leather strap version currently on clearance.

How much is he asking for it? Stab in the dark for £2200 on the leather maybe - not sure

Master
    Beverbrooks have the Chorno on leather for £2457 nd a few other tudors on sale on there website also.

Journeyman

Yeah £2457 on the leather was what I saw it at. Seems like a very good price considering used they seem to sell for 2500-2700.

Journeyman
    I’m a sucker for a sale and decided to bite the bullet and go for the leather model, £2457:

£1827 for a black bay on leather is tempting!!

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    ?

Thanks, not a bad price.

If only it was as thick as the BB58.

Journeyman
    That’s a lovely looking one too. Some of these sale prices are very tempting indeed. I was on talking myself out of spending the £2750 on the Chrono but felt myself leaning towards going for it. When I went to try it on again and saw that it was another 10% off i felt it was a sign

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Another 2% off from Quidco, so could be under £1800! At that price it's a steal for an in-house date Chronometer.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Has the deal ended on the Chrono? Can't see it on the website and would have been very tempted to pick one up!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Has the deal ended on the Chrono? Can't see it on the website and would have been very tempted to pick one up!
    I think that the deal is still ongoing but only jn store. My local beaverbrooks said that they were going to restock the Chrono on leather, and so were clearing out the last of their stock. So if you have a local beaverbrooks might be worth giving them a call.

Craftsman
    I think that the deal is still ongoing but only jn store. My local beaverbrooks said that they were going to restock the Chrono on leather, and so were clearing out the last of their stock. So if you have a local beaverbrooks might be worth giving them a call.
    Thanks for the info - gave the local store a call there, they have sold out and have stopped doing them now. They did have a GMT in stock on a bracelet.....but....I really shouldn't buy anything until I sell my GMT Master II!

Journeyman
    Maybe you should buy it so that you can wear them both side by side, to see what you prefer ;)

Craftsman

I got mine today. If you can get it on leather from Beaverbrooks in the sale go for it, it’s a very wearable piece - loving it so far!

Cheers
    Rory

Journeyman
    What a beauty! I think I’m going to have to try to source the metal strap for mine.

Craftsman
    Cheers!

Beaverbrooks sell them for £600ish and I think there was one in the forum classifieds too.

You’ll end up with both strap options for considerably less than the cost of the watch on the bracelet alone!

Cheers
    Rory

Craftsman
    Maybe you should buy it so that you can wear them both side by side, to see what you prefer ;)
    I've already passed the GMT onto a dealer sadly. But the tudor gmt has been going around my head all night....I was wanting the new DJ 36 on a jubilee, but I can't seem to find one locally. Maybe its a sign! :D

Craftsman
    Has anyone got one of these and a GMT? How do they compare thickness wise - Does the chamfer on the bottom of the GMT really help or do they wear similarly?

Master
    I have both and they both wear comfortably and are very similar I find.

Craftsman
    I have both and they both wear comfortably and are very similar I find.
    Thanks! I must say I love the bezel on these. How a dive watch pulls off a tachymetre bezel I don't know, but it does!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Thanks! I must say I love the bezel on these. How a dive watch pulls off a tachymetre bezel I don't know, but it does!
    The answer to that I think is that it’s not a dive watch. It’s a chronograph with decent WR. I don’t think having snowflake hands alone makes it a diver.

I also own both and would concur that they wear similarly.

Master
    The BB Chrono was an interesting one for me as I always default to buying in bracelet but with this I had both options and I far far far preferred it on leather. I think weight and balance was the main reason. I have a fairly small wrist and on bracelet it was a bit sloppy. Great watch but didn’t remain in the collection too long though the recent black one with that awesome bezel got my attention again though!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    The BB Chrono was an interesting one for me as I always default to buying in bracelet but with this I had both options and I far far far preferred it on leather. I think weight and balance was the main reason. I have a fairly small wrist and on bracelet it was a bit sloppy. Great watch but didn’t remain in the collection too long though the recent black one with that awesome bezel got my attention again though!

my intention was to sell the silver bezel one but ended up deciding I couldn’t

Master
    I am tempted by the TT version again, tried it on again yesterday whilst collecting a watch and it is sublime.

played with my colleague's newly brought from Swiss. It a nice watch but just wonder why the resale value of this model is so low..listed 3,600 and used just around 2,500?

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    played with my colleague's newly brought from Swiss. It a nice watch but just wonder why the resale value of this model is so low..listed 3,600 and used just around 2,500?
    £2600 to £2900 was last 4 sold on the bay. Current cheapest listed on the bay is £3000. I think your figure is a bit low. It’s one model you would likely get a discount on if you ask so unlikely you would sell for rrp if used. The dark version different of course.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    my intention was to sell the silver bezel one but ended up deciding I couldn’t
    The dark on leather looks amazing, I think
    I prefer it to the black bracelet!

Cheers
    Rory

Craftsman
    £2600 to £2900 was last 4 sold on the bay. Current cheapest listed on the bay is £3000. I think your figure is a bit low. It’s one model you would likely get a discount on if you ask so unlikely you would sell for rrp if used. The dark version different of course.
    Remember these were being sold for £2.5k on leather last week in the sale. I really don’t understand the discounting as they are such a versatile piece. I’ve got a 7 inch wrist (at most) and find the bracelet version is perfectly wearable and not heavy.

Cheers
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    The dark on leather looks amazing, I think
    I prefer it to the black bracelet!

Cheers
    Rory

Cheers. It’s a leather made by Pav on TZ

Craftsman
    The answer to that I think is that it’s not a dive watch. It’s a chronograph with decent WR. I don’t think having snowflake hands alone makes it a diver.

I also own both and would concur that they wear similarly.
    Probably a good way of putting it - I guess in my head Black Bay = Dive watch. As you say, the snowflake hands make a good nod to the divers, as does the case. Having a skim through the website and in Tudors own words "The new hybrid Black Bay Chrono chronograph dares to combine the aquatic heritage represented by the Black Bay family with the queen of the racetrack, the chronograph". Huh. Probably a more fancy way of putting across exactly the point!

I was thinking about it last night and the obvious parallel with the Daytona, like the Tudor the screw down pushers and water resistance don't exactly make it a diver!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Probably a good way of putting it - I guess in my head Black Bay = Dive watch. As you say, the snowflake hands make a good nod to the divers, as does the case. Having a skim through the website and in Tudors own words "The new hybrid Black Bay Chrono chronograph dares to combine the aquatic heritage represented by the Black Bay family with the queen of the racetrack, the chronograph". Huh. Probably a more fancy way of putting across exactly the point!

I was thinking about it last night and the obvious parallel with the Daytona, like the Tudor the screw down pushers and water resistance don't exactly make it a diver!
    Yeah. Also the black bay lineage is quite broad now. Right down to exploreresque 36mm black bays with no bezel. I think it’s safe to say it encompasses more than divers now