closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RIP Juliette Kaplan

RIP Juliette Kaplan

Juliette was one of the stars in Last of the Summer Wine, as well as many other TV shows and theatre performances. I know many people think LOTSW wasn't very good, but in it's heyday, especially from the mid 70s till, I personally feel mid 90s, though some say well before then, it was great fun, with it's gentle humour, lovely countryside and delinquent old codgers. Juliette came into the show in the mid 80s, playing battle-axe Pearl. I enjoyed, until it became too much of a theme of the series, the pure fear on Howard's face, when Pearl was keeping tabs on him.

RIP Juliette "Pearl" Kaplan.

RIP

I've been watching the repeats, the whole series, on one of the smaller channels. I used to really enjoy it in its early years when I was a young man. Then it grew slower and I went off it.
    Now I'm old I've grown into it again, like a comfortable pair of slippers, and the more I watch the more I see the interaction between the characters, the things they say that wouldn't be allowed on TV these days in a new production.
    It's genuinely funny, a true reflection - in a way - of the working class Yorkshire folk at their best.
    They've almost all gone now. In watching the programmes this year it seems as if, when each actor dies in real life and their character disappears, I go through funeral after funeral. Sad.

Strange thing was when I was younger I never saw the appeal. But about 9 years ago, I was bored and decided to watch some episodes with a character I didn't see before called Seymour. I really enjoyed it. I was in my 30s then. I think I have watched every episode of LOTSW after that. Right from the first episode. It did really peak from Foggy's first run there, upto midway through his second run, when ideas were running out and reused far too often. However that's not the actors' faults, and they all did really well. Juliette was very convincing as a northern battle-axe, though not from the area in reality.