closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed valuing a Rolex (1956 OP)

Help needed valuing a Rolex (1956 OP)

Hello all

I hate doing this but I need some help needed valuing a Rolex because I've been offered a grail that would complete my collection.

(I *know* you'll all ask what the grail is: it's a Smiths GS De Luxe from 1965. It will sit between my WW2 Smiths "Mk X" and 1967 Smiths 6B and I'll have all three RAF-issued Smiths: 1940s, '50s and '60s. So you can see why I'm keen to get it. I did have one a few years ago but sold it to raise the funds for a deposit on a house and it wasn't "6B". Also I didn't have the Mk X then -- there are only, I think 11 known examples of that watch so I thought I'd never got one; since I have, I've been on the lookout for a GS -- of which there about 30 recorded 6B versions.)

Anyway, back to the Rolex:

Details:

Rolex Oyster Perpetual ref 6564 date: 1956, cal 1030, movement s/n. 587xxx, case serial # 126xxx. The datecode inside the caseback is "I.56"

34mm, with a ovely 3,6,9 "Explorer"-esque dial layout; crown screws down tightly; case has been polished but is still good for a 63 year old watch.

The bracelet is a #7205 rivet / 19mm expandable with "60" endpieces dated “2 / 57” (i.e. second quarter 1957). I've added some extra links to the bracelet so it's good for 7.5" wrist but these are easy to remove.

It was serviced about 12 months ago by Steve Burrage and is all good.

I have no idea what it's worth -- can anyone here help out with a ballpark figure?

THANKS

Last edited by Rev-O; 9th October 2019 at 17:22.

Well let's try a suggestion: £1800? Does that sounds about right? I have no idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Well let's try a suggestion: £1800? Does that sounds about right? I have no idea.

Thanks
    I was going to suggest between £1500 and £2000, so not a bad call.

I can't help with the value but I love that Explorer dial.

I hope you get your grail, what a satisfying collection that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I was going to suggest between £1500 and £2000, so not a bad call.
    For a birth-year watch you might find someone will go higher, a non-WIS could well be smitten by Rolex on the dial.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    For a birth-year watch you might find someone will go higher, a non-WIS could well be smitten by Rolex on the dial.

R
    True, particularly with a rivet bracelet as well (in hindsight).

Thanks all!

It would be funny to ask £1956 for it. In fact, I think all watches should priced according to their year of manufacture regardless.

How much is that new Casio? £20.19 hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    True, particularly with a rivet bracelet as well (in hindsight).

;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Thanks all!

It would be funny to ask £1956 for it. In fact, I think all watches should priced according to their year of manufacture regardless.

How much is that new Casio? £20.19 hahaha
    I love that idea, and I'll happily give you £19.56... PM me your bank details

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

;-)

R

Thanks all. Just spotted an error in the OP: the Smiths GS De Luxe is also 1956, not '65 as it says.

Anyway, the Rolex is now up on SC, sorry if this thread looked like a pre-sales boost or extra publicity but I genuinely had no idea how much it was worth and wanted to pitch it right

Thanks again

Ollie