closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Security CCTV Advice

Master

Home Security CCTV Advice

Hi All

I've been considering a home security package for a while now and have been reading reviews. The problem I have is that the market is changing so quickly and I wanted something that was reasonably future proof with remote (mobile) access.

I have seen a system on Amazon that caught my eye and just wondered what peoples thoughts were or if anybody recommended something different.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIKVISION-HD-PACKAGE-SECURITY-DVR/dp/B018N00GVQ

I'm reasonably handy when it comes to DIY stuff and I'm not a technophobe so should manage to install etc.

I'd be interested in knowing just how easy they are to set up and what people recommend.

Thanks in advance

Mike
    Last edited by sweetpea; 9th October 2019 at 14:27.

Master
    Check out the Arlo Pro 2 on amazon. Wifi based, works very well. Alerts to mobile etc.

ICYMI

US blacklists Hikvision

The move by the US Commerce Department targets 20 Chinese public security bureaus and eight companies, including video surveillance firm Hikvision, as well as leaders in facial recognition technology SenseTime Group Ltd and Megvii Technology Ltd.
    鏈接
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    ICYMI

鏈接
    Wow, always considered them the gold standard and thought I would wire them up in the next house. Wouldn't touch them now. Shame, but thank you for the link.

I used Dahua from Alibaba!

Blog Entries
    Ring mains powered wi-fi cameras are pretty good, with sirens and lights that can be activated from the app on your phone. Also get alerts on your phone and can set and disable them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Check out the Arlo Pro 2 on amazon. Wifi based, works very well. Alerts to mobile etc.
    Arlo Pro 3s are out now, and pretty decent from the reviews I've seen.

For me I've changed my porch lights to Netatmo presence. No need to rewire anything - just reuse existing cables. The good thing about Netatmo is no ongoing service fees. Videos stored locally and to Dropbox.

Master
    Thanks all for the advice it’s very much appreciated 👍

Mike

Craftsman
    US blacklists Hikvision
    And Barclays ditched Kaspersky but it doesn't stop me using them.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    That's great for you.

Craftsman
    Didn't know hikvision had been blacklisted. Thought they were everyone's favourites.

Also interested in the thread though. To see what is suggested for external use.

Probably need three cameras, a wide angle on the back, something lower down above the door for visitors and then another wider one on the front to cover the rest.

Happy enough to install physically.

Then is it a case of running data and power to them each and then back to a central location for the hard drive? (Would the loft work for this or does it need to be accessible?) Is it a plug in power supply or does it need hard wiring to the mains?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    www.ipcamtalk.com is the place to research these.. They swear by dahua cams there.. especially the starlight which have incredible night vision even in near total darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    If UK integrators/installers would stop supporting/servicing Hikvision equipment, would you expect a Chinese engineer to turn up and sort out an issue, or their Beijing office to send you a new camera or DVR?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I had a four camera Hikvision system recently fitted & would buy again if I move.
    The image quality of the 6mp cameras & the night vision has to be seen. (Dark fighter)
    Think I got lucky as I had my system fully fitted (took eight hours) for £1100 & that included a new LED alarm box to replace the aged one. The cameras are approximately £150 each.
    All started from looking for a camera door bell & went from there......
    The images on my Oled come to life & the AP on phone & iPad are very easy to use.

Master
    If UK integrators/installers would stop supporting/servicing Hikvision equipment, would you expect a Chinese engineer to turn up and sort out an issue, or their Beijing office to send you a new camera or DVR?

I think your blowing this up, what needs servicing?
    Possibly need a new drive in a few years takes seconds to fit in NVR & reasonably priced online.
    The cameras are sealed units & will probably be updated long before they pack up.
    If a hungry squirrel decided to chew a cable again no big deal & idiot can watch a YouTube video to see how to terminate a new cable.

Home Security CCTV Advice

The link is for a dvr system, an ip based system with an NVR will be easier to install as a single network cable to each camera provides the data link and powers the camera.

I went the Blue Iris route and currently have 6 2Mp Duhua starlight cams and am looking to add 2 more. 4Mp versions of the starlight cams are now available and it’s probably these that I’ll get.

As mentioned above get over onto ipcamtalk and read a few threads there. On the forum there’s a Duhua OEM reseller which is where I got my cameras from.

There are cheaper cams available on AliExpress but most will be cams intended only for the Chinese market and most will have hacked English firmware which can’t easily be upgraded so take that into account.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 9th October 2019 at 20:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1981 View Post
    Didn't know hikvision had been blacklisted. Thought they were everyone's favourites.

Also interested in the thread though. To see what is suggested for external use.

Probably need three cameras, a wide angle on the back, something lower down above the door for visitors and then another wider one on the front to cover the rest.

Happy enough to install physically.

Then is it a case of running data and power to them each and then back to a central location for the hard drive? (Would the loft work for this or does it need to be accessible?) Is it a plug in power supply or does it need hard wiring to the mains?

POE, only one Cat5 cable to each camera.
    I have one looking out from front door catches anyone within vicinity also covers my car sat on the drive.
    Second is under the soffit covering the rest of the drive (police advise cameras low down to aid detection due to image quality of faces)
    Third is on side of house covering half of my L shaped sunroom & perimeter.
    Forth is opposite rear corner covering garden, back door & other half of sunroom.
    External cables are run in conduit & only one section is accessible without a ladder.

Don’t skimp on cameras & avoid a well known auction site, so many Chinese copies & stay away from analog & old obsolete kit.
    H.265 high efficiency video encoding gives best quality with smallest video file possible.
    Set to motion record ( differences in frames trigger recording, watching birds land on drive for instance, smart bit it seems to record five seconds in advance of every trigger. So you see car lights before car passes for instance)

I have this if you need any pointers,

DS-7600 series NVR
    Seagate 2TB Skyhawk drive.
    4X DS-2CD2365G1-I cameras
    Conduit & clamps & high quality UV resistant cable.

Craftsman
    Ta.

Do you have the drive stored somewhere inaccessible? Or in a normal room in the house?

I'm about to do this, with a Hiqvision set up, the hard disk ot be stored in the loft with the rest of the networking kit.

Don't see how the US blacklisting Hiqvision affects us in the UK?

Master
    In all honesty it's a complete waste of money.

I have full CCTV covering the whole house with mobile link etc.

My house was burgled at the start of the year and all I have is a great recording of it.

The CCTV didn't deter them one bit, neither did the alarm or me shouting through the speaker that the police were coming.

The police did come after 4hrs !

It's the same all over the country it doesn't deter ant thief.

I just bought the Arlo Ultra 4k system.

Arrives tomorrow, so can't review yet, but others' experience is positive.

From what little I know neither Hikvision or Duhua sell direct to the public so you have to go through a reseller, it’s the reseller that warranties and supports them. So I got my Duhua cams from a guy called Andy on ipcamtalk who provides the aftersales support on them and provides regular firmware updates.

Craftsman
    New house has POE CCTV which was very simple to install as I t was pretty much plug and play. Everything was from Amazon incl. the HDD needed for recording.

In my old flat I had a simple Foscam camera in the lobby. Some scrote came in one day and stole the other-half’s road bike, I found the footage that evening and sent it to the Police. He’s ended up serving at HMP as he was a known thief and had used the bike to cycle to a nearby town to steal from the Waitrose there (also caught on camera).