closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Bicycles

I had the headwind on my way back from work, but funnily enough didn’t feel any help from a downwind going to. Mine is a sit-up-and-beg type, as my back cannot ride road bikes anymore. Menno’s Kona looks a superb tool.
    If you can, try 2 types of assistance: central and back wheel. With the central one you only get assistance (it will go nowhere if you don’t push on the pedals) whereas motorised back wheels can usually go without any effort if you so choose.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I had the headwind on my way back from work, but funnily enough didn’t feel any help from a downwind going to. Mine is a sit-up-and-beg type, as my back cannot ride road bikes anymore. Menno’s Kona looks a superb tool.
    If you can, try 2 types of assistance: central and back wheel. With the central one you only get assistance (it will go nowhere if you don’t push on the pedals) whereas motorised back wheels can usually go without any effort if you so choose.
    You don't feel the wind behind because you're still getting it in your face because of the draft created from your own forward momentum - I think. Reckon the central one crating assistance would be the one for me, but will investigate further.

Electric Bicycles

You are of course correct for the wind, it was meant in jest. I used to say I was probably the God of headwinds, in reference to Douglas Adams’ god of rain truck driver, as I would have a headwind regardless of the direction I was going.
    I have also chosen a central one, as I wanted to cycle for the health benefits the exercise would bring instead of just sitting in the car or ride my classic 125.

During this current crisis I've been 'fixing' bikes for free, well, cost of parts only which I suppose is free plus a donation to the NHS if they're happy with the job. I have had to scrap a couple which were beyond repair. A guy contacted me today about his Lapierre Overvolt FS 900 that he is having trouble with the gear train. I looked up the price of the bike, jeez £4000+
    Anyway just had a look and it was just a bit of adjustment needed but he's going to send a tenner to the NHS.
    My first Ebike repair.

I've just been looking at 'completed listings' on ebay. Every Ebike listed including some real horrible looking old crap has sold. People are desperate to buy them atm. I bet a lot of them have got faults. Good time to sell one but not to buy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I've just been looking at 'completed listings' on ebay. Every Ebike listed including some real horrible looking old crap has sold. People are desperate to buy them atm. I bet a lot of them have got faults. Good time to sell one but not to buy.
    A hardware and tool shop here was having a sale of secondhand e-bikes last Saturday. There was a 100 meter (covid proof ) queue outside!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Same as kayaks. Been going for stupid money on the bay. Your better off converting a decent bike.

I've just had to replace the pedals and cranks on mine as like a plonka I put the wrong hand on each side so the pedal came loose and knackered the thread up.

Does look better with them though.

Has anyone serviced there forks? Mine need doing but keep putting it off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Has anyone serviced there forks? Mine need doing but keep putting it off.
    A lower leg service is easy enough to do with some basic tools, plenty of videos on the web for most forks.

SRAM have all the servic/tech docs available to download, pretty sure the Recons will be in there somewhere.

You might struggle to get the wiper seals/foam if yours are shot, depending on how old the forks are, but if they’re good just cleaning them and re-soaking in oil and then some ‘butter’ on the other moving parts should see a definite improvement.

I've picked up a Bianchi Aria e bike on eBay. Won't use it all the time, but quite keen to give it a whirl. If I don't like it, it will be back on eBay. If I do, one of my other bikes will have to go. Garage is getting as overpopulated as my watchbox and bikes take up more room.

Blog Entries
    I've done my first few hundred miles on my blue Koga (pictured here three weeks ago). First impression: the Bosch motor is awesome and super-powerful. The built-in limiter cuts in at 27.5 km/hr: you're 'on your own' if you want to go any faster.

The position on the bike is good (measured!) and the Terry saddle is the best I've ever had. I sat on a pressure plate and the outcome of that led to the Terry saddle, FoC and installed by the dealer.

The stability of the bike is fantastic: going downhill with nearly 50 km/hr on the speedo is still a well-balanced enterprise. I never had a bike that was so stable at high speed! The frame, the geometry of the front wheel and the low position of the battery helps enormously, I suppose.

My advice: don't buy a bike with a front wheel motor (mid or rear is better, more stable), the low position of the battery is also a good thing and when you buy & build your own (aftermarket) e-bike: make sure that the frame is stiff enough to handle everything!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I've done my first few hundred miles on my blue Koga (pictured here three weeks ago). First impression: the Bosch motor is awesome and super-powerful. The built-in limiter cuts in at 27.5 km/hr: you're 'on your own' if you want to go any faster.

The position on the bike is good (measured!) and the Terry saddle is the best I've ever had. I sat on a pressure plate and the outcome of that led to the Terry saddle, FoC and installed by the dealer.

The stability of the bike is fantastic: going downhill with nearly 50 km/hr on the speedo is still a well-balanced enterprise. I never had a bike that was so stable at high speed! The frame, the geometry of the front wheel and the low position of the battery helps enormously, I suppose.

My advice: don't buy a bike with a front wheel motor (mid or rear is better, more stable), the low position of the battery is also a good thing and when you buy & build your own (aftermarket) e-bike: make sure that the frame is stiff enough to handle everything!
    Can I ask how easy (or difficult) the Koga is to ride when there is no power assistance?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Can I ask how easy (or difficult) the Koga is to ride when there is no power assistance?
    That's an interesting thing! Or better a Bosch vs Shimano thing.

My wife's city e-bike (different geometry than mine) has a Shimano motor. So I am able to compare it. After a short test drive with both bikes up and down the street, I can tell you: the Shimano is quieter and absolutely 'neutral' when it's switched off: you can't feel the difference with a non-motorized bike. The Bosch makes a noise, but I think it's not irritating, like the sound of off-road tyres on a paved stretch of road. There is a small resistance the moment you put pressure on the pedals, with the motor switched off. When you've gained momentum, the resistance is gone. All Bosch motors tend to have that. On the other hand, when switched on, the Bosch is more powerful than the Shimano.

Try to test both before you buy. I like the sound of the Bosch motor, but I can imagine that others think it's a nuisance. (And, if you want to spend the money: try to buy a bike with a Roloff rear hub and a Gates belt drive. That's the absolute top-end of e-bike cycling.

So here’s the e bike I bought on eBay

Been out for a couple of rides now. Tried the first few miles without power and it works very well as a road bike, albeit a bit heavier than is ideal. Even with the power switched on, I'd estimate that it's not in use 90% of the time due to the 15mph cut off point. Where it comes into it's own is on hills although you still have to work...or to be more accurate, you can if you want.

Tackled one sod of a hill yesterday which averages about 13% and is about 18% in places. It's unpleasant to say the least and I was a bit disappointed to find that it was still unpleasant on the ebike. Arrived at the top only breathing slightly less heavily than normal. However, when I checked the stats later, I'd gone up it at an average of 13 mph as opposed to the 7-8mph I usually manage.

It's early days, but I think this will allow me to do more rides/routes at a slightly lower intensity but without burning out. I think it will also encourage me to go out a bit more on days when I don't really want to feel like death.
    Last edited by Jdh1; 22nd June 2020 at 20:43.

Electric Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    So here’s the e bike I bought on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Price? Looks awesome

^^^ They're about £4,500. I got this one for about £3,600...an ex shop demo, although it didn't look like it had been out of the shop when it arrived.

Blog Entries
    Arrived at the top only breathing slightly less heavily than normal. However, when I checked the stats later, I'd gone up it at an average of 13 mph as opposed to the 7-8mph I usually manage.
    My experience as well. You simply don't realise that you're a lot quicker than before when you're tackling hills etc on your own.

M

The whole ebike scene has gone crazy for the past couple of months. I've been into shops with racks totally empty although some of the real expensive models £5-10k unsurprisingly aren't being snapped up. However, I think the bubble is bursting now as people are beginning to realise that some of these ebikes are extremely sophisticated devices that can need a lot of care and adjustments. Hence there are a lot of very expensive ebikes now being sold for considerably less than they originally cost. Now is the time to buy.
    A real downside is that the thieving community have latched on in a big way and there are a lot of stolen ebikes appearing on social media and auction sites, the usual sign is lack of batteries, keys, display controllers etc.

If you can get one the Stilus from Decathlon is a bit of a billy bargain. Ive had mine for about three weeks and havent used the car at all since getting it. I have a 14 mile commute to work and go in about 2 or 3 times a week at the moment and its a reasonably easy ride. Im not knackered all day and the ride home often turns into a longer offroad route for fun.

https://youtu.be/k3iJlfGAxps

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    If you can get one the Stilus from Decathlon is a bit of a billy bargain. Ive had mine for about three weeks and havent used the car at all since getting it. I have a 14 mile commute to work and go in about 2 or 3 times a week at the moment and its a reasonably easy ride. Im not knackered all day and the ride home often turns into a longer offroad route for fun.

Looks like a great bike for the money - maybe I should have gone for an MTB; but I'm almost there in my wait:

"Your VanMoof order has shipped"

I'll soon be able to see how it copes with a daily commute...
    It's just a matter of time...

I was looking at one in Decathlon last week. Look well made and decent spec. If I hadn't just bought a super bargain nos KTM Macina I would be considering one as I've never had a full sus. It's Bosch Gen 4 is it not, have you had the 85nm update?

I was looking at one in Decathlon last week. Look well made and decent spec. If I hadn't just bought a super bargain nos KTM Macina I would be considering one as I've never had a full sus. It's Bosch Gen 4 is it not, have you had the 85nm update?
    Ive not had the update yet. The bike will get a service next week after its done 250km so ill ask for it to be done then. I cant imagine needing more torque than it has right now but im not going to say no. ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Looks like a great bike for the money - maybe I should have gone for an MTB; but I'm almost there in my wait:

"Your VanMoof order has shipped"

I'll soon be able to see how it copes with a daily commute...
    Be really interested to see how you get on with this. VanMoof have challenged just about every ebike practice and produced something from basic principles. The analogies with Apple and Tesla are valid.
    Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Be really interested to see how you get on with this. VanMoof have challenged just about every ebike practice and produced something from basic principles. The analogies with Apple and Tesla are valid.
    Steve
    Likewise me too as I've been looking for a hybrid ebike although I'm not sure whether I'm too old for the VanMoof, and possibly not quite tall enough for the S3, as it certainly looks the hipster part! Otherwise any other recommendations for a bike not a penny more than £2,500 and sold by a retailer that accepts the Halfords Cycle2Work vouchers?

Ive not had the update yet. The bike will get a service next week after its done 250km so ill ask for it to be done then. I cant imagine needing more torque than it has right now but im not going to say no. ;)
    Be aware however that it’s rumoured Bosch updates these days include enhanced anti tamper software. So if you’re thinking of fitting a speedbox of some sort it can throw up errors.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    Likewise me too as I've been looking for a hybrid ebike although I'm not sure whether I'm too old for the VanMoof, and possibly not quite tall enough for the S3, as it certainly looks the hipster part! Otherwise any other recommendations for a bike not a penny more than £2,500 and sold by a retailer that accepts the Halfords Cycle2Work vouchers?
    My Giant Adventure is available through the cycle to work scheme... remember there are independents who also can do the vouchers. (Not always easy to find on their website as they seem to highlight halfords stores for some reason)

Mine has been great and done about 500 miles on road and semi-rough track.

Jon

Be aware however that it’s rumoured Bosch updates these days include enhanced anti tamper software. So if you’re thinking of fitting a speedbox of some sort it can throw up errors.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have no plans to hack the bike so it should be fine. I’d want to be sure that the warranty wasn’t affected either.

Master
    genuine question

I have been a motorcyclist for some years, had lots of Bikes ...in my younger days I was also a keen "club cyclist"

why don't you guys buy a motor cycle if you want "fun" or to move away from traditional cycling - what's the attraction of an electric Bike?

@ £4k for a mid range electric bike you can buy a great motorcycle for that money

(PS - I also have a Brompton)

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    genuine question

I have been a motorcyclist for some years, had lots of Bikes ...in my younger days I was also a keen "club cyclist"

why don't you guys buy a motor cycle if you want "fun" or to move away from traditional cycling - what's the attraction of an electric Bike?

@ £4k for a mid range electric bike you can buy a great motorcycle for that money

In my case it’s a health thing. Since the transplant I have not been able to ride my normal bike, but the e-bike takes away the effort from standing starts that was hurting. Outside of that, it is nice to go further in the fresh air than maybe my body would normally allow.

The problem for me with motorcycles is the requirement for quite hot clothing and helmet... I sort of like the relative freedom of cycling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    In my case it’s a health thing. Since the transplant I have not been able to ride my normal bike, but the e-bike takes away the effort from standing starts that was hurting. Outside of that, it is nice to go further in the fresh air than maybe my body would normally allow.

The problem for me with motorcycles is the requirement for quite hot clothing and helmet... I sort of like the relative freedom of cycling.
    Don't you feel that you should wear a good protective helmet and good protective clothing, (even lightweight stuff), on an a "go faster" electric Bike

my son whilst riding at cycle, (push bike is old terms), in Hammersmith, (the roundabout under the fly-over), was hit by a "small" smart car which did not stop - he ended up with an emergency op on his jaw - he now has 7 screws holding his jaw in place which was fractured in three places and also has a bad scar from ear to just below his mouth which will be with for the rest of his life - I reckon he will need some kind of repair work for some years to come - had he been on a (motor) Bike with a safety helmet and just even lightweight motorcycling gear he would probably have suffered less in that accident
    Last edited by BillN; 25th July 2020 at 20:44.

Don't you feel that you should wear a good protective helmet and good protective clothing, (even lightweight stuff), on an a "go faster" electric Bike

my son whilst riding at cycle, (push bike is old terms), in Hammersmith, (the roundabout under the fly-over), was hit by a "small" smart car which did not stop - he ended up with an emergency op on his jaw - he now has 7 screws holding his jaw in place which was fractured in three places and also has a bad scar from ear to just below his mouth which will be with for the rest of his life - I reckon he will need some kind of repair work for some years to come - had he been on a (motor) Bike with a safety helmet and just even lightweight motorcycling gear he would probably have suffered less in that accident
    I wear a helmet, and sensible clothing, however that is not the same as a full face helmet and armored clothing that I would feel necessary on a motorcycle. A typical max of 15mph (ignoring steep hills) is quite different from a typical minimum of 30mph. Tbf, I don’t usually ride on busy roads and I hope your son’s recovery continues.

genuine question

I have a motorcycle as well but i don't commute on that anymore, its just for leisure use.
    The bike lets me take the scenic route down bridleways and trails i couldn't take the motorbike down. Its also cheap to charge, lets me get some exercise, and i don’t need to worry about VED or insurance.
    Lockdown had the side effect of showing me how much money i saved not driving the car and this is a genuine attempt to see if i can switch to the bike for commuting full time.
    If i can then the bike will pay for itself fairly quickly. There aren't many hills where i live but we do get some decent wind. The motor essentially cancels that out if needed. It means i can consistently do the 14 miles in about 55 minutes.
    Last edited by jammie*dodger; 26th July 2020 at 12:11.

Master
    Thanks for your replies - I intend to try an electric bike in the next few months - I thought about converting one of my Bromptons at a cost of about £800, but from what I have read a power unit in the rear wheel or pedal crank is better than a front wheel drive plus a battery in down tube is better than one hanging from the bars.

Mid drive (motor in the crank) is the best solution if you can get it in your budget. Remember to factor in any accessories and consumables. Ebikes are known to eat chains a lot quicker than regular bikes.

I ride a pushbike and avoid any sort of safety clothing. I often read of studies of cyclists being passed closer if they have a ll the safety gear, and given a wide berth if they look more vulnerable. We all get punishment passes at some time in our cycling days, but no-one has got me yet. You are more likely to get fit than get dead on a pushbike. If car drivers can't see my lights, then they probably need to be wearing glasses or to be removed from the road.

I would recommend insurance though for third party and legal cover. If you get knocked off, injured and your bike and gear damaged the legal cover will be useful. Also, especially if working in a major city, you might need insurance if one of those phone zombies walks into the road in front of you. Although Cycling UK has its blindspots when it comes to gender equality, they provide relatively cheap membership, which includes insurance.

I also own a motorbike. It's a nice big one, but I still get more pleasure riding a pushbike on quiet roads, cycle paths and bridleways, than I get from riding my motorbike on most A and B roads on the UK mainland.

genuine question

It’s a fair point Bill, but some of us have motorbikes as well. It comes down to a few things - do you ride your motorbike for fun or commuting, or both; and the same question in relation to the eBike.

I’ve bought mine, as I generally use a motorbike for fun, and Euro tours. As I’ve moved an extra 3-5 miles out from where I used to live, I thought an eBike would be great to get through traffic on the way to work, and the motor would help on the way up hills, and I’d also burn a few much needed extra calories during my working week as a bonus. I do ocassionally commute on one of the motorbikes, but even living on the Isle of Man most of the year, a few motorists take offence at even sensible filtering in the mornings!

Almost forgot to add, that the eBike is generally cheap to run, on a charge, and there is no legal requirement for expensive insurance/road tax etc.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    I’ll try to write a quick update as soon as I’ve had the opportunity to try it out properly. Still in transit for now, and expected Wed/Thurs - I’m actually quite pleased it didn’t turn up over the weekend, as it’s been torrential rain since last night until a couple of hours ago here.

I actually bought it, as I thought it looked understated and more suited to an older rider to me, compared to some of the shell suit graphics of some eBikes ;)

Well it arrived, and only slightly late.

First impressions are good, and my commute to work, there and back today was quicker than it would have been in the car.

You can select EU, or US settings (if you’re on private property).

It will easily go up hill on the maximum assistance/speeds, and with the boost button being pressed (which you could keep pressed until the battery ran flat!) it felt like being pulled up the hill. Home was a mostly uphill ride and I arrived completely and surprisingly refreshed.

Build looks fine, and once I’d played about with what speeds the automatic gears changes should take place for my preferences on the App, it’s been great. Quite a tall bike. I’m just over 6 foot, and I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone much shorter, but they do an X3 model that I was also tempted with.

Ive luckily managed to get secured parking for it today too, so looks like it will be a regular commuter, along with the other vehicles.

Lovely looking bike. It has mudguards too! I would tower over Napoleon, but that bike is too big for me. I will look at the X3, not that I need any more bikes of course.

Went out for my first 'Technical' ride on an ebike on Cannock Chase Red Routes Yesterday. Done it before many a year ago on an 'Analog' bike. But on an Ebike it really is something else. So fast, the power up the hills is astonishing. Some of the downhills were a bit crazy-scary for me as I'm not great with heights. We did 13.7 mile in 2hr which doesn't sound fast but some of it was very challenging, especially for me. Best of all I used up 1850 calories.

..i. Best of all I used up 1850 calories.
    What told you that, your Garmin? Did it assume you'd done all the pedalling though!!??

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    What told you that, your Garmin? Did it assume you'd done all the pedalling though!!??
    Calories burned are (I believe) based on your cardiac rhythm and your weight, not just on the distance you rode, the profile of the road, or which bracket you use even on a normal bike). It is probably the less reliable information you're given

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    No, fitbit, although it isn't actually sentient and not able to assume anything.

Btw, Saint-chuff, you are still on my ignore list so if you are posting some smart-arse crap don't bother as I can't see it, jerk.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 3rd August 2020 at 23:39. Reason: tit adjustment

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Calories burned are (I believe) based on your cardiac rhythm and your weight, not just on the distance you rode, the profile of the road, or which bracket you use even on a normal bike). It is probably the less reliable information you're given
    No, fitbit, although it isn't actually sentient and not able to assume anything.

Btw, Saint-chuff, you are still on my ignore list so if you are posting some smart-arse crap don't bother as I can't see it, jerk.
    Even the bear pit is not the place for personal vendettas...

Blog Entries
    With an electric bike, the average distance being cycled is higher than on an ordinary bike. Some people suffer from a sore bum. For most bike manufacturers, a saddle is not their biggest concern. They rely on the fact that most people will personalise the saddle. On my Koga, I had the original saddle changed for a Terry saddle. People's ischia (is that the correct word??) are different like the colour of one's eyes or fingerprints. Terry offers testing facility - it's like sitting on the glass of a copier(...) and the outcome produces the perfect Terry saddle-choice. Recommended.

While writing this, I'm waiting for the bike shop to open; apart from the Terry system, they also have a posture & adjustment measurement system. When I bought the Koga in May, the anti-covid rules prohibited the use of the measurement device. So the adjustment was done using 'guestimation'. Until now, I'm pretty happy with that 'Eyeball 1.0 system' used by the skilled mechanic in the shop. But, we'll see what needs to be changed. I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    With an electric bike, the average distance being cycled is higher than on an ordinary bike. Some people suffer from a sore bum. For most bike manufacturers, a saddle is not their biggest concern. They rely on the fact that most people will personalise the saddle. On my Koga, I had the original saddle changed for a Terry saddle. People's ischia (is that the correct word??) are different like the colour of one's eyes or fingerprints. Terry offers testing facility - it's like sitting on the glass of a copier(...) and the outcome produces the perfect Terry saddle-choice. Recommended.

While writing this, I'm waiting for the bike shop to open; apart from the Terry system, they also have a posture & adjustment measurement system. When I bought the Koga in May, the anti-covid rules prohibited the use of the measurement device. So the adjustment was done using 'guestimation'. Until now, I'm pretty happy with that 'Eyeball 1.0 system' used by the skilled mechanic in the shop. But, we'll see what needs to be changed. I'll keep you posted.
    Terry saddles represent modern technology, and are an instant fit; you still need to get your backend used to sitting on it while pressing on the pedals, but you know it's the best shape for you.
    Old school leather saddles (Brooks) achieve the same result... but it takes longer
    The positive is that it's progressive, so your bike fitness (legs) improve at the same time as your bum gets used to sitting on a saddle which itself comforts to your anatomy. The negative is that it aches more

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Even the bear pit is not the place for personal vendettas...
    I entirely agree. That's why I put certain trolls on ignore. But if you insist, for some inexplicable reason, on quoting them you are simply adding fuel to the smouldering pile of refuse. Which is a bit ironic.

Craftsman
    genuine question

Hi Bill, I'm also a motorcyclist of long standing (50 + years, GS and a Bonnie and on UKGSER) and I have just purchased a Cannondale Tesoro which is a "trekking" hybrid, it has the 29 wheels with big tyres but a solid back end and rack etc for touring. I've had more fun on this over the last few days, discovering Bridleways and Byways near me than Biking. I can "green lane" greenly and walkers , horse riders are happy for me to share their routes too. Also going out more so more pedalling my way back to loosing lockdown belly! Also at £3k with £2.4k on interest free finance quite painless on the wallet and the advantage of a purpose built 2020 e-bike with all that entails. Cheers, John B4

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Hi Bill, I'm also a motorcyclist of long standing (50 + years, GS and a Bonnie and on UKGSER) and I have just purchased a Cannondale Tesoro which is a "trekking" hybrid, it has the 29 wheels with big tyres but a solid back end and rack etc for touring. I've had more fun on this over the last few days, discovering Bridleways and Byways near me than Biking. I can "green lane" greenly and walkers , horse riders are happy for me to share their routes too. Also going out more so more pedalling my way back to loosing lockdown belly! Also at £3k with £2.4k on interest free finance quite painless on the wallet and the advantage of a purpose built 2020 e-bike with all that entails. Cheers, John B4
    Thanks John

which model of the Tesoro did you get?

There seems to be the Neo 2 and the Neo 2X and 3X .. all of a similar price

what do you reckon you need helmet-wise, presumably a little better than a normal cycle helmet?

Thanks John

which model of the Tesoro did you get?

There seems to be the Neo 2 and the Neo 2X and 3X .. all of a similar price

what do you reckon you need helmet-wise, presumably a little better than a normal cycle helmet?
    Helmets seem to have changed with more support/protection at the back. Also more expensive, as to be expected but Decathlon have some reasonably priced.

Craftsman
    Hi Bill, It's the Tesoro neo x2, had a lovely ride around again today, did some lanes that I'd previously done on an old honda XR200. re the Helmet, at the mo I'm using my original Cycle helmet (which was/is still a quality one) and it all feels safe, I think the max speed I have seen on the road is 34mph so far! cheers, John B4