closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Bicycles

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saw this today. Looks to me like it does a little more than 15.5mph.

My old Carrera needs the rockshox silver servicing and also my hope mini brakes. There all shot. Not sure whether to sort the bike out and convert or just buy a Bosch powered bike. The Carrera has been with me for at least 10years. She has served me well. I'm also wondering whether if I do fix her up to simplify the conversion and get a hub powered rear wheel. Quite like the thought of just sitting back and rolling along.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thought I'd update this thread. Finally got round to converting my old bike with all this spare time at home. Pretty straight forward to fit although my chainstay sticks out around 2mm too much. Had to make a washer so the crank housing on the TSDZ2 didn't hit the chainstay although this left me a little short for the retaining nut.

Only had a little play on it. First impressions are hills are now fun to climb. Was hoping that you could peddle with ease past the motors cut off point but it does not seem so.

It's an old bike and now forks, brakes, cassette all need replacing or a dam good service.

Master
    Blog Entries
    good job,is the bike noticeably heavier can you pedal when the battery is dead?

Nice. One thing I do kick myself for now was not sorting myself out with my chosen ebike in the couple of days before the lockdown. One of the first things on the list to do.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    good job,is the bike noticeably heavier can you pedal when the battery is dead?
    Don't know not tried peddling without the motor on yet. I'm hoping to get around 30/40 miles with the battery which is a Samsung cell 14.5ah. so won't have to pedal without power.

Edit; seems to pedal fine without power as long as your not pedaling fast
    Last edited by sprite1275; 14th April 2020 at 18:18.

I had an ebike for a year or so and loved it. The thing that made me sell it was that none of my riding mates had one so I would end up riding by myself or just get cold waiting for them to catch up.
    The newer motors coming through have much less resistance when there is no assistance. I will probably get another when the prices drop a bit (and a few mates get one!).

Master
    Blog Entries
    The main reason I've converted my bike is to make my commute to work easier. Make it bit less of a chore on them breezy days.

Master
    You can ride an Ebike with no power but It's like riding one of those old sit-up-and-beg jobs from Europe they're so heavy, usually about 22+Kg.
    If I know I'm riding more that 20miles I take my spare battery. But I've never yet run a battery right down.

Master
    Yesterday I was out for a ride and a guy on an electric mountain bike pulled out of his drive some way in front of me, I smiled as I sailed past him on my road bike but after a couple of hundred meters he came sailing past me and when I looked down at my Garmin I was doing 24mph!

Master
    We hired a couple in Sienna and it was so warm we opted for the e-bikes having never ridden them before. 40km later we'd nursed them to the final hill with 50% battery left and turned them up to full power.... we were doing c20mph uphill grinning like fools.

I'm not ready to buy one but wouldn't hesitate, especially if it made the difference between enjoying cycling and/or going out.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Master
    why don't you buy a small moped - does tons of miles to the gallon, as cheap as an electric bike to buy and it probably does less harm to the environment than the production of batteries, plus charging the batteries

Noisy and no exercise.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    why don't you buy a small moped - does tons of miles to the gallon, as cheap as an electric bike to buy and it probably does less harm to the environment than the production of batteries, plus charging the batteries
    And I suppose mopeds are made from unicorn farts?! :)

I charge my electric bike batteries from a solar source, and whilst everything manufactured has a carbon footprint, I’m confident an e-bikes one is minimal in the grand scheme of things.

They’re fun, and help with fitness, the electric bikes I own don’t put any effort in unless you do too.
    Last edited by Tooks; 16th April 2020 at 22:30.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The noise and smell might pee a few of the walkers off down the canal.

No exercise.
    Road tax.
    Insurance.
    Can’t use on bridleways or in parks, etc.
    Can’t put in the bike section on a train.

Well, ispired by this thread (and the boredom of being confined to barracks), I've bought a 48v Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit and a battery.

I'm going to fit it to a Boardman hybrid that's been sitting in the storeroom for a couple of years. I bought it when we lived in London, and it was brilliant there because it was flat. We then moved to the South West to a town that is famously built on seven hills. We live on top of one, so the bike got no use. Getting down to the bottom is obviously not an issue. but getting back up is. The locals who are into cycling use the hill outside our house for training.

The battery arrived yesterday and I've fitted that. I'm not sure whether it will hold in the long term: the pack is 15a/h and very heavy. I had to put a couple of rivnuts into the top tube to mount it. Problem is that the tube is a sort of triangular shape, so whether they will hold in the longer term with the weight and the vibration (the frame has a rigid front fork) I don't know.

The motor is on its way. The bike is stripped down ready to fit as soon as it gets here. Getting the old press fit bottom bracket out was fun. I've never taken one of them apart before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    Well, ispired by this thread (and the boredom of being confined to barracks), I've bought a 48v Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit and a battery.

I'm going to fit it to a Boardman hybrid that's been sitting in the storeroom for a couple of years. I bought it when we lived in London, and it was brilliant there because it was flat. We then moved to the South West to a town that is famously built on seven hills. We live on top of one, so the bike got no use. Getting down to the bottom is obviously not an issue. but getting back up is. The locals who are into cycling use the hill outside our house for training.

The battery arrived yesterday and I've fitted that. I'm not sure whether it will hold in the long term: the pack is 15a/h and very heavy. I had to put a couple of rivnuts into the top tube to mount it. Problem is that the tube is a sort of triangular shape, so whether they will hold in the longer term with the weight and the vibration (the frame has a rigid front fork) I don't know.

The motor is on its way. The bike is stripped down ready to fit as soon as it gets here. Getting the old press fit bottom bracket out was fun. I've never taken one of them apart before.
    Good work on the battery mount!

What’s your plan for fitting the motor without the threaded bottom bracket?

Have you got some adaptors on the way too?

I'm in make it up as I go along mode. I have a milling machine and access to a lathe, so I can make 'stuff' in need. I haven't been able to find any detailed drawings of the motor unit, so until it gets here and I offer it up I don't know what needs doing. If I just need to cut a thread in the bottom bracket housing it'll be fairly straightforward. One way or another it will fit...

Famous last words.
    Last edited by Incredible Sulk; 18th April 2020 at 12:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    I'm in make it up as I go along mode. I have a milling machine and access to a lathe, so I can make 'stuff' in need. I haven't been able to find any detailed drawings of the motor unit, so until it gets here and I offer it up I don't know what needs doing. If I just need to cut a thread in the bottom bracket it'll be fairly straightforward. One way or another it will fit...

Famous last words.
    Sounds like you’ll be fine then to be honest!

That Boardman uses a PF30 bottom bracket I think, you should be able to knock up some adaptors with that kit you’ve got.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The BB does not need to be threaded. The motor slides through and basically clamps the BB .

These are the pics I took when I was trying to get the gear housing to stop fouling the chainstay. Had to make the yellow washer you see to do so which just left enough thread on the motor to get the retaining nut on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    The BB does not need to be threaded. The motor slides through and basically clamps the BB .

These are the pics I took when I was trying to get the gear housing to stop fouling the chainstay. Had to make the yellow washer you see to do so which just left enough thread on the motor to get the retaining nut on.
    You know, it’s been so long since I fitted mine that I’d forgotten that’s how it fits! I was fitting and removing a Shimano Hollowtech crank the other day as well, got me obsessing about bottom bracket threads!

The fit should be fine then as long as it’s got a standard width bottom bracket shell 68/73mm, which it should have.

They do a Fat Bike version now I understand, good for bottom bracket shells up to 100mm, an electric fat bike would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The fit should be fine then as long as it’s got a standard width bottom bracket shell 68/73mm, which it should have.
    68mm is the magic number! Which means it's supposed to fit with no additional spacers.

We'll see.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    You know, it’s been so long since I fitted mine that I’d forgotten that’s how it fits! I was fitting and removing a Shimano Hollowtech crank the other day as well, got me obsessing about bottom bracket threads!

They do a Fat Bike version now I understand, good for bottom bracket shells up to 100mm, an electric fat bike would be fun.
    You can also buy extensions for them also. Requires tapping the motor but the option is there. https://www.eco-ebike.com/products/t...mm-100mm-120mm

Surprised sulk you needed to tap your down tube. My battery fitted on my existing bottle cage bolts. Needed to take the cover off the bottom of the battery bracket and there was another hole under there to put the bolt through.

Journeyman
    I really like the look of Ribble’s electric gravel/adventure bike, especially in the “limited edition” green.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...b-olive-green/

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post

Surprised sulk you needed to tap your down tube. My battery fitted on my existing bottle cage bolts. Needed to take the cover off the bottom of the battery bracket and there was another hole under there to put the bolt through.
    There was no way the thing would fit (right way up anyway) using the bottle mounts. The pack is actually bolted on using three bolts. The slot in the bottom of the battery wiring compartment I used into the higher of the two bottle mounts, and as I say I used a couple of aluminium rivnuts further up the frame tube. I used M6 for those instead of the normal M5 because the rivnuts are a bit chunkier than the smaller ones. The fact that I have a lot of M6 rivnuts to practice on, few M5's and the setting tool was set up for M6 might also have been a factor. As I said though, the frame tube is a funny shape in section, and drilling it you become aware that it's also incredibly thin. I just hope the nuts don't pull out. I could probably cut a bigger hole and weld in a backing plate if that happens, but that will destroy the paint on a substantial chunk of the frame if I end up having to do that. Plus I hate welding thin alloy. And I'm no good at welding generally.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah ok. Mine fitted fine with just the two bolts but I expect the 48v is heavier than the 36v. Did you not fancy the panier battery? I didn't hear about the 48v 250w TSDZ2 until after I ordered the 36v. Supposed to be quieter with more torque although after trialing mine I'm more than happy in both matters.

Where did you get your motor from? Wooshbikes have a fitting guide on there site although it's pretty self explanatory.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 19th April 2020 at 10:47.

I'd have preferred a pannier fit TBH, but that would have meant binning the existing Topeak pannier frame, which I didn't want to do as it has runners on it for a top case and panniers (and I will need to keep those as the bike will be doing the offie run once it's finished) and it's specifically designed to clear disc brake rotors.

I did think about buying a battery that I could bolt under the existing pannier frame, but there isn't a lot of space and I couldn't finda 48v one with a decent capacity that would fit. So, the down tube it had to be. It's probably for the best, as the handling with a full load in the panniers and 5Kg of battery might be a bit 'interesting'.

I bought the motor unit from PSW Power in Germany:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/elifebike2010

and the battery from these people here in the UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/e-bike-batteriez/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Master
    Always admire 'skills' like these and the have-a-go attitude. Will be good to see the finished (working) article!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

OK. Rainy day update. Fitting the motor to the hybrid Boardman had to be abandoned. The hybrid has a BB30 bottom bracket, and the motor can be made to fit that, but I need to source a BB30 adaptor to old style BB assembly in order to do it. Mucho googling required.

So, plan B. I have an old Boardman MTB which I also wasn't using, so I've bolted the motor into that. Like Sprite, I had to shim out the drive side about 4mm to stop the motor cases fouling the chainstay, but apart from that it was a straightforward fit. I spent more time getting the rear derailleur to work properly than I did fitting the motor and battery. The original derailleur cable(s, front and rear mech) ran down the downtube, under the bottom bracket and along the chainstay, but that had to be binned as the cable guide under the bottom bracket can't be used as the motor gets in the way. So I've just run a cable from the handlebar directly to the rear mech. I'll need to fiddle with that, but for the moment it works.

The thing goes surprisingly well. It'll go up the hill outside our house (which is about 1 in 4) on the smallest rear cog with the assistance on maximum. I did have to stand on the pedals though. Downsides are that the bike was heavy to start with, now it's extremely heavy. It was also quite well used before I laid it up, so it needs a new chain, brake pads and the front forks (RockShox Reba) need a service. I've just spent over £100 on service items. £60 alone for brake pads.

Anyway. A couple of photos.

Plan is to run this for a while, source a BB conversion kit for the hybrid, buy another motor and battery box base for that, and put the battery on whichever of the two I happen to want to use.

The hybrid will probably get more use, as it's really light.

Master

This is a Dillenger kit. Their latest road legal system. I chose them because they seemed the most responsive and I got a good deal, not much more than an eBay job but with full support and warranty etc.

Built up late last year onto a Kona hybrid I picked locally and I’m very happy with it. I think front hub motor is a bit of a compromise but then I don’t have great spannering skills. It still needed some fettling with a file to get it to fit the dropouts. And it’d be easy to move to a new bike if desired.

I’m getting over 40 miles range at ~50% pedal assist. Sure this will deplete as time goes on but it’s easily enough to join back in with group cycling when we’re allowed again. My health conditions had ruled me out of decent length rides. Great project and a useful outcome.

Journeyman
    How does the front hub drive compare to regular cycling? Does it effect steering feel at all?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    How does the front hub drive compare to regular cycling? Does it effect steering feel at all?
    You can certainly feel it. The 350w (software limited to 250w) motor is plenty torquey enough to do its job uphill etc. But it is not obtrusive and I no longer consciously notice it when on the move. You definitely also feel it as you set off but it’s just a factor of pedal assist lagging fractionally behind the movement. I have tried it with the thumb throttle too and that’s like an electric motorbike. A slow one!

Journeyman
    Thanks. I’m tempted to convert my “shopping” bike and the idea of a relatively easy swap between bikes is appealing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    Thanks. I’m tempted to convert my “shopping” bike and the idea of a relatively easy swap between bikes is appealing.
    As long as the wheel size is the same.... the Dillenger website also has a template so you can check if the battery/cradle will fit etc.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Master
    Has anyone bought the Switch kit?

thinking about buying one at the next release for my Brompton

Craftsman
    This has been a really interesting thread. I’m thinking of joining the e- bike community and am looking for a hybrid model around the £2K mark.

My short list at the moment is:

Orbea Gain F30
    Ribble Hybrid AL e
    Cannondale Quick Neo 2

Has anyone any experience of any of these? With the current constraints I have only managed to test ride the Orbea.

^ Did you consider the Boardman hybrid?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/...-hyb-8.9e.html

I thought about one of these, but in the end decided to build my own. The list is £2,249, but I'm pretty sure Halfords were doing an offer recently that worked out at about the £2k mark.

I have to confess I'm biased. I've had more than a few Boardmans over the years, a few of which are posted on here.

Craftsman
    Has anyone bought the Switch kit?

thinking about buying one at the next release for my Brompton
    Swytch, I had to look it up as also considering options, it gets good reviews.
    Last edited by Pretzel; 1st May 2020 at 22:16.

Electric Bicycles

Anyone mentioned the Van Moof S3 yet?
    I’ve got the S2 which was £3k+ with accessories but is a great bit of kit, however they have just launched the S3 which has some significant improvements, better motor , brakes & gears, yet is now only £1,789.
    They claim this is due to doing more in house.
    I’m a bit gutted as I bought mine just 6 weeks before they launched the new model but I am still very happy with the build quality & usability and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an e bike.
    I am I my 50’s and have rheumatism which means I struggle with a normal bike. However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 1st May 2020 at 15:35.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    I’ve got the S2 which was £3k+ with accessories but is a great bit of kit, however they have just launched the S3 which has some significant improvements, better motor , brakes & gears, yet is now only £1,789.
    I’m a bit gutted as I bought mine just 6 weeks before they launched the new model but I am still very happy with the build quality & usability and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an e bike.
    I am I my 50’s and have rheumatism which means I struggle with a normal bike. However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease.

Thanks - they seem to get great review

However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease.

I ordered one of the S3’s on the day of release. I always liked the looks for a commuter when I saw the S2, and already have a mountain bike I like to ride, but with my house move I’ll be a little further from work, but still want to cycle in (mostly down hill), but more importantly cycle home which would be more uphill. I was swayed by our cycle to work scheme, which allows me to contribute the extra over the allowable cost to BIK, so it works out a little cheaper still.

Almost bought an S2 in their sell off, but waited for the new release just in case, and happy enough. Although it will be something like another 6 weeks until delivery, so not as easy as popping to the LBS and taking home an E-bike the same day.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Anyone mentioned the Van Moof S3 yet? I’ve got the S2 which was £3k+ with accessories but is a great bit of kit, however they have just launched the S3 which has some significant improvements, better motor , brakes & gears, yet is now only £1,789. They claim this is due to doing more in house. I’m a bit gutted as I bought mine just 6 weeks before they launched the new model but I am still very happy with the build quality & usability and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an e bike. I am I my 50’s and have rheumatism which means I struggle with a normal bike. However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease. Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Can you derestrict them? 15mph is a bit slow otherwise the look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    You can, but to qualify as a bicycle in the EU the legal limit is assistance only and 15.5mph.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    You can, but to qualify as a bicycle in the EU the legal limit is assistance only and 15.5mph.
    I average 18/19 when fit so no point for me if the max is 15. The other day I was overtaken by an electric mtb at 24mph!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I average 18/19 when fit so no point for me if the max is 15. The other day I was overtaken by an electric mtb at 24mph!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    The ‘max’ isn’t 15. The motor stops helping at 15. You can go as fast as you can pedal.

The Van Moof has a European & a USA setting which you can change in its app. This gives you a top speed assisted of around 28mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This graphic is the easiest way to understand the rules around e-bikes here in the U.K.

The USA also has a slightly higher e-bike assist limit of 20mph.

If your factory or home made e-bike assists to pedelec levels, that’s fine but you need the relevant licence, the bike has to be DVLA registered and display a registration plate with correct lighting etc, and you need insurance.

Who here would bother with that?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    im really liking these, an electric has been on the cards for a while and this perfect.

Am I buying one, if delivery was quicker I would ordering right now but it’s mid July for the s3 and August for the x3.

Shame.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "