closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 301 to 336 of 336

Thread: Electric Bicycles

  1. #301

    Electric Bicycles

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Things break, hardly shocking.
    I wish there was a bit of shock :(

  2. #302

    Electric Bicycles

    Brommie leccy was dropped off to the bike shop this morning has been through the diagnostics they have installed a new motor. Still not running correctly, so the bike shop needs to speak with Brompton on Monday.

    Looks like I properly killed it. I guess this is a risk with leccy bikes when you canít work on the leccy side of the bike.

    I am glad for a 3 year warranty, and if I ever buy another leccy bike it will only be one with a very long warranty.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Things break, hardly shocking.
    They do, but after 8 months and only a 1000 miles!



    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

  4. #304
    A very good point re long warranty and at least with Brompton you have a reasonable expectation that spares will be around for years to come

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    A very good point re long warranty and at least with Brompton you have a reasonable expectation that spares will be around for years to come

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Yes, but the motor and front wheel cost £680! Thatís a lot to spend if you are just out of warranty, and probably over half the residual value of the bike.

    Luckily motors and battery replacement also fall under Cyclescheme so can effectively be bought with large a discount.

  6. #306
    Yikes. Brompton tax I guess

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

  7. #307
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    709
    Not sure if it's already been mentioned but some of the e-bikes (Stealth H-52) in use by the military look pretty cool.

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2377902.html

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Yikes. Brompton tax I guess

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Yes, but when YouTube-ing videos on the motor I came across this image (below) which show plastic, yes, plastic planetary gears. For £680 I expect metal gears.

    Plastic gears in anything of quality is bad news. I once had a lovely Panasonic LUMIX camera fail on a tiny plastic gear losing a tooth. Same with other electrical items I have that have failed. Plastic gears are the weak point.

    Must say that it has diminished my faith in the brand a little if plastic parts are being used in a critical service, and they are charging a lot of money for the replacement.

    The motor is not serviceable, but there is a guy on eBay who has fashioned a tool to open the motor and replace the bearings, which apparently is the most likely type of failure.


  9. #309
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    28,987
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I wish there was a bit of shock :(
    No you don't.
    A shock while riding an electric bike is the last thing you need
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No you don't.
    A shock while riding an electric bike is the last thing you need
    Donít take a pun too seriously.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yes, but when YouTube-ing videos on the motor I came across this image (below) which show plastic, yes, plastic planetary gears. For £680 I expect metal gears.

    Plastic gears in anything of quality is bad news. I once had a lovely Panasonic LUMIX camera fail on a tiny plastic gear losing a tooth. Same with other electrical items I have that have failed. Plastic gears are the weak point.

    Must say that it has diminished my faith in the brand a little if plastic parts are being used in a critical service, and they are charging a lot of money for the replacement.

    The motor is not serviceable, but there is a guy on eBay who has fashioned a tool to open the motor and replace the bearings, which apparently is the most likely type of failure.

    Totally agree. Alway going to end I trouble

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

  12. #312
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,245
    If you get any info back via the bike shop / Brompton as to how youíve managed to damage it that badly from simply washing it, Iíd be keen to know as it has failed so early in itís expected lifespan.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    If you get any info back via the bike shop / Brompton as to how youíve managed to damage it that badly from simply washing it, Iíd be keen to know as it has failed so early in itís expected lifespan.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think washing the bike was purely coincidental. I had noticed a few pauses on the motor when riding of the last few weeks.

    The bike has had a punishing time with the weather and generally crappy state of London roads. Given suposedly good quality engineering, I have not been anyway gentle with it, especially as my non-electric Brompton have faired so well over the years.

    Strange that a new motor only partially helped. Must be the control unit too. The bike shop is technically very good, and even they need to go to Brompton on Monday for guidance.

    But does anyone fix complex electrical systems anyway? My bet is that they will keep on replacing parts until the issue is solved.

    I will update when I have more information.

    A shame really as this bike was a real game changer for me, both from a London commuting and leisure cycling point of view. The freedom it gives compared to a full size bike is immense given I chuckle it in the back of the car, on the bus/train instead of doing round trips.

    I suggest Wileeey gets outlet and about in all weather and give it a bit of abuse. No point babying it, if it then fails out of warranty after racking up the miles.

    The bike will continue to lead a honest life through the harsh winter when it is returned back to me.

  14. #314
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,245
    Pauses sound interesting & especially the motor not fixing it, clearly something a bit deeper & you canít be alone on this Iím sure.

    Fixing these days is obsolete, like cars, itís a replace not repair items which is a shame for the future. Will repair shop become replace shop on tv in another decade!?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #315
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    28,987
    Surprised they havenít supplied you with a bike in the meantime
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  16. #316

    Electric Bicycles

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Surprised they havenít supplied you with a bike in the meantime
    I think I will manage with one of my other 5 bikes. I am actually looking forward to my next commute on Tuesday with just leg power. It has been a while since pre-COVID when I did it on a daily basis.

    You kind of think you are a cycling demon when on a leccy bike with all the undeserved speed and power. Then the leccy stops you are just a heavily panting slow middle-to-later aged slogger.

  17. #317
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    28,987
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I think I will manage with one of my other 5 bikes. I am actually looking forward to my next commute on Tuesday with just leg power. It has been a while since pre-COVID when I did it on a daily basis.

    You kind of think you are a cycling demon when on a leccy bike with all the undeserved speed and power. Then the leccy stops you are just a heavily panting slow middle-to-later aged slogger.
    Well to be fair if youíre still on the e-bike when the power goes off you have to overcome extra weight and resistance. In fact jumping on a decent non-e bike should be a rather pleasant surprise. To me the e-bike comes into its own a little on uphills but those are usually brief (I know a couple of nasty exceptions); more importantly when facing a headwind. This is where it truly comes into its own. As you use it for commuting you may also enjoy the reliability of your riding time whatever the weather, I suppose.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  18. #318
    Just had the bike shop on the phone, and my Brompton leccy is repaired and ready to pick up.

    It required a new motor (it comes as an integrated motor spokes and rim, I believe), and a new control unit (brains of the bike).

    Great service. Dropped it off Saturday, and repaired and ready to collect Tuesday.

  19. #319
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    19,158
    Sounds really good. They donít seem to skimp on warranty work then. Reassuring.

  20. #320
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    5,809
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yes, but when YouTube-ing videos on the motor I came across this image (below) which show plastic, yes, plastic planetary gears. For £680 I expect metal gears.

    Plastic gears in anything of quality is bad news. I once had a lovely Panasonic LUMIX camera fail on a tiny plastic gear losing a tooth. Same with other electrical items I have that have failed. Plastic gears are the weak point.

    Must say that it has diminished my faith in the brand a little if plastic parts are being used in a critical service, and they are charging a lot of money for the replacement.

    The motor is not serviceable, but there is a guy on eBay who has fashioned a tool to open the motor and replace the bearings, which apparently is the most likely type of failure.

    Plastic gears and bearing you can't service; I can only assume that most of their customers won't ride much and not in horrible weather ... otherwise that is going to be a problem. All bicycle bearings need replacement at some point, British salty roads make that a certainty.

  21. #321
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the chicken coop.....
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Plastic gears and bearing you can't service; I can only assume that most of their customers won't ride much and not in horrible weather ... otherwise that is going to be a problem. All bicycle bearings need replacement at some point, British salty roads make that a certainty.
    If that's Brompton's assumption it's wide of the mark - whilst a lot of cyclists won't ride in rubbish weather, London commuters tend to use their Bromptons as transport rather than for fun. Certainly mine gets used regardless of weather; the thought of using the Tube - or, worse than that, a bus - is enough to ensure that I keep pedalling.

  22. #322
    What are the gears made of on a trek? Wife has one

  23. #323
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    What are the gears made of on a trek? Wife has one
    What exact model Trek is it, and more importantly what motor does it have?

    Nylon gears are not necessarily an issue, it depends what theyíre doing and what loads theyíre designed to take.

    The Shimano E8000 motor on one of my bikes has nylon gears, itís been running sweetly for the last 4+ years. The TSDZ motors Iíve fitted to many conversions Iíve done also have a plastic spur gear, thereís an optional metal gear which works but is noisier and heavier.

    Not sure what gears are in my Brose 2.2, but I understand it also uses a belt, so all sorts going on.

  24. #324
    Not just leccy cars suffering reduce range in the winter. Over the last few days my leccy bike range has reduced by 30%.

  25. #325
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    43,008
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  26. #326
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,404
    I got this to use for my winter rides, spike tires just installed and battery now charging. A bit of an overkill for my style of riding, but i's nice to be able to test it out. It's an Orbea Wild M20, 2023.


  27. #327
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I got this to use for my winter rides, spike tires just installed and battery now charging. A bit of an overkill for my style of riding, but i's nice to be able to test it out. It's an Orbea Wild M20, 2023.
    Very nice bike that, I want to give one a try sometime.

    Iíve got a Specialized Gen 3 Turbo Levo as my main electric bike, and whilst the motor and power is great, it is pretty heavy and Iíd like something a bit lighter next time.

  28. #328
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Very nice bike that, I want to give one a try sometime.

    Iíve got a Specialized Gen 3 Turbo Levo as my main electric bike, and whilst the motor and power is great, it is pretty heavy and Iíd like something a bit lighter next time.
    I had the Orbea Rise before this one and I think that is my favorite ebike, it's light and feels natural to ride. The Wild is a different beast, it's not super heavy but it's still enduro style - at least from my XC-guy point of view. ;)

  29. #329
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Just had the bike shop on the phone, and my Brompton leccy is repaired and ready to pick up.

    It required a new motor (it comes as an integrated motor spokes and rim, I believe), and a new control unit (brains of the bike).

    Great service. Dropped it off Saturday, and repaired and ready to collect Tuesday.
    Leccy Brompton had its first year service last week after around 1,500 miles of use, and then promptly died again today cycling home from work.

    Letís see if it is something simple, or another thick end of £1k warranty repairs.

  30. #330
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,245
    Seems to be you.

  31. #331
    Bloody hell thats not good.

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

  32. #332

    Electric Bicycles

    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Leccy Brompton had its first year service last week after around 1,500 miles of use, and then promptly died again today cycling home from work.

    Letís see if it is something simple, or another thick end of £1k warranty repairs.
    A few days later and cycling in the pouring rain the electric failed every mile or so, even the lights this time. So, bike failed and misbehaved twice in a week.

    Took it into the bike shop and the diagnostic scan revealed no error. A case of trial and error and Brompton themselves recommended a new control unit, being the brains of the bike.

    So, I will cycle in the rain again and if there is no issue that will have been the fault, if it is still an issue Brompton will authorise further replacement of parts.

    Not a lot of confidence for long term ownership, but electrics part of the warranty is 3 years, and this gets reset after each component replacement.

    And Brompton and the bike shop are brilliant to deal with. No quibble, FOC and fast turnaround.

  33. #333
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    19,158
    Out on the Brompton today for the first time in about 6 months. Feels like my first night in prison. Even the seat on the train home hurt.

    Someone went past me brutally fast on a GoCycle. That will be tonightís YouTube playlist.


  34. #334
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Someone went past me brutally fast on a GoCycle. That will be tonightís YouTube playlist.
    I know you have a short scratch-the-itch attention span, and fully expect another electric bike obsession, which will peter out on the first ride, lol.

    I wonder how you have managed to stay with your wife so long?

  35. #335
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    19,158
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I wonder how you have managed to stay with your wife so long?
    You break it you bought it.

    And I absolutely lamped it.

  36. #336
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You break it you bought it.

    And I absolutely lamped it.
    Proper good chuckle there, fella.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information