closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Bicycles

Hybrid View

Electric Bicycles

I did a search and didn’t come across any recent threads on this topic, so here goes.

I’m 50 and cycle to work most day (14 miles return). My commute in outer London is often quicker by bike than car given usual rush hour congestion. Plus I found a nice off road route for most of the journey which is suitable for bikes and electric bikes.

However in the winter when I’m feeling a bit lazier, some extra occasional oomph may be nice on those dark cold days.

Due to changes to the scheme, work is soon to remove the £1000 cycle to work scheme limit as this was only previously offered to companies with a credit license.

So, I’m think of some sort of urban/hybrid flat bar electric bike up to £2k.

It would be good to hear about your experiences of electric cycling in general, and any particular specification or bike that is particularly recommended.

The Bike Radar Forum may prove a little more useful?

https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13106591&p=20550492&hilit=electric+bikes#p20550 492

I'm also considering one due to painful joints but am hoping to hold off until around this time next year...

Orbea have a good range and although a little over budget something like this gravel bike could cover both your on and off road requirements..

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/30...angeblack.aspx

All the best.
    Steve.

the new Boardman hybrid electric with the fazua motor is getting good reviews, seems decent spec and at £2.2k looks good for what it comes with and their bikes are always beautifully finished with fully smoothed welds and nice components for the money

Blog Entries
    Coincidently, my wife picked her electric bike up from the bike store around the corner where I live, two hours ago. A Dutch brand, I don't think that it's for sale in the UK. And I'm interested in buying one myself.

Electric bikes are really 'big' here, where I live. Lots of kids come to school every morning on an electric bike. E.g. a boy in my son's class does a 55 mins trip (single trip) every morning on his bike, same distance and time back every late afternoon. 18kms, but he has to climb a few nasty hills. On his electric bike, things are a lot easier.

Recent Dutch statistics show that front wheel-powered bikes are more prone to accidents than mid-engined and rear-engined bikes. Something to do with the power vs steering characteristics perhaps?

My interest in buying an electric bike was fueled last Summer after reading a German article that mentioned the fact that people riding an electric-powered bike, chose to ride a bike significantly more often. In other words: they make more mileage on an electric bike than on a 'normal' road bike. And that's better for one's health!

Master
    I just couldn’t bring myself to spend the kind of money a lot of these e-bikes are asking, so I converted one of my mountain bikes using a mid-drive Tongshen TSDZ2 motor, and made up my own battery pack from some 5S RC modelling batteries.

It’s a pedal assist setup rather than an ‘electric bike/moped’, it’s a nominal 250w so road legal and makes me feel like I’ve got bionic legs! Hills are no longer an issue.

It’s a 36v 5.2Ah battery pack, and I get an easy 15 miles of pedal assist without stressing the battery.

Cost was about £400. I’ve got the batteries in a small frame bag now rather than under the seat, and I’ve changed the crank chain wheel for something a bit smaller to suit the off road riding I do.

Sorry for the links, I’ll embed the pictures later when I’m on a tablet/computer.

E-bike Conversion by iaintookey, on Flickr
    Last edited by Tooks; 10th October 2019 at 16:56.

Mrs Goat and myself bought 2 new ones earlier this year
    Made by Cube, they are Bosch CX performance ones.
    Very pleased-
    Currently under warranty and assistance restricted to 15,5 mph as all the legal ones are...may derestrict later- very easy to do.
    Getting 60-80 miles easily on a full charge
    We chose MTB based machines as we live 5m from the open new forest and use them half and half road/off-road
    We have pads of friends with them, none have regrets
    Main difference is that we USE these whereas our old bikes were getting less and less used,
    Nothing to do 20miles for a run out for a beer these days
    Last edited by GOAT; 9th October 2019 at 16:22.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Main difference is that we USE these whereas our old bikes were getting less and less used,
    Nothing to do 20miles for a run out for a beer these days
    That's exactly the outcome of the German study

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I just couldn’t bring myself to spend the kind of money a lot of these e-bikes are asking, so I converted one of my mountain bikes using a mid-drive Tongshen TSDZ2 motor, and made up my own battery pack from some 5S RC modelling batteries.

It’s a pedal assist setup rather than an ‘electric bike/moped’, it’s a nominal 250w so road legal and makes me feel like I’ve got bionic legs! Hills are no longer an issue.

It’s a 36v 5.2Ah battery pack, and I get an easy 15 miles of pedal assist without stressing the battery.

Cost was about £400. I’ve got the batteries in a small frame bag now rather than under the seat, and I’ve changed the crank chain wheel for something a bit smaller to suit the off road riding I do.

Sorry for the links, I’ll embed the pictures later when I’m on a tablet/computer.

https://flic.kr/p/2hswZkR
    https://flic.kr/p/2hstinX
    https://flic.kr/p/2hsvZAM
    https://flic.kr/p/2hstiGp
    https://flic.kr/p/2hstj91
    If you get a chance post everything you have about this. You wont bore me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    If you get a chance post everything you have about this. You wont bore me.
    I’ve updated my post with embedded pictures, I’m quite pleased with how it’s turned out.

It rides very similar to the Bosch equipped factory bikes, it’s why I went with the Tongsheng system as opposed to the popular Bafang 02. The latter can power the bike without any rider input, but I wanted something that assisted me, when I pedal the motor pedals a bit too.

It’s quite a laugh off road, and makes anything slightly uphill fun again rather than laborious. I’ve just got the wrong side of 50, but this makes me ride like I’m 25 again. Well, at least in my head...

I’ll get some pics up of the new chain ring and battery bag arrangement if you’re interested. I’ve also fully waterproofed the connections now, ready for the winter muck.

I’ve read on some e-bike forums that there’s a weakness in the Tongsheng main drive gear, it’s plastic and can wear out or break if you’re clumsy, at least on early versions of the motor. I’ve got a replacement metal gear coming in from China, and I’ll have that handy should the original break.

It’s given an old bike that was gathering dust in the shed a new lease of life, and renewed my interest in cycling, both of which can only be a good thing. I’m under pressure to convert the other old bike in the shed now too, so Mrs Tooks can ride it...
    Last edited by Tooks; 10th October 2019 at 17:08.

Bosch CX in the crank, sit up bike. For Menno, I also have some Clarijs panniers.
    I try to commute weather permitting, despite a couple of stiff climbs both ways. About 22 miles in total, in about 45 to 55 minutes (morning ride is quicker as worst climb is taken the right way and at 6-6:30 there is no traffic.
    I am 60 and a touch under 15 stones. I would never had considered riding to this place of work on a non e-bike.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Bosch CX in the crank, sit up bike. For Menno, I also have some Clarijs panniers.
    I try to commute weather permitting, despite a couple of stiff climbs both ways. About 22 miles in total, in about 45 to 55 minutes (morning ride is quicker as worst climb is taken the right way and at 6-6:30 there is no traffic.
    I am 60 and a touch under 15 stones. I would never had considered riding to this place of work on a non e-bike.
    Clarijs panniers: ha! It won't come more 'Dutch' than that. Honestly. Clarijs is a household name over here and I've thought that these bags are called panniers! Household name as in: "I'll put my coat in the Clarijs when it gets hot!"

Menno

Not surprised. They are brilliant. And cycling without a rucksack on your back makes a massive difference.

I have a VanMoof Electrified X2, brilliant concept, moderately well executed, but too rich for your budget!

I've had 4 - each new one being significantly better than the other.

First one was a Eco Expedition made by a bespoke company. Not bad, did the job but I wanted something better. Then got a Haibike sduro FS. Brilliant. Had it 3 years. Bought a Focus Jam2 last year but then got a Specialized Turbo Levo in August - that thing is awesome. Appreciate above budget though. I loved my Haibike as well.

Cube do some nice ones around your budget and I would also say you'll get good deals on 2019 models now. As an example. there's a cracking Focus Hard Tail MTB at £1999 at Rutland although I see you mention Hybrid so may not be right for you. But now is definitely good to look but not all places will do cycle scheme on sale bikes.

Blog Entries
    Another Dutch brand!

For what I've seen and noticed about the UK landscape, I think that an electric bike is the best way to explore the country! Germany has a 'culture' of Speed Pedalecs: those 'fast lane' brothers and sisters on bikes reaching up to 45 kms/hr. They're allowed here, but one needs to be 16 y/old, with a moped drivers license, a helmet and a license plate. Big German names are Stromer and Riese & Müller.

One of my colleagues has one. She must have bought one of the first in the country. She owns it for at least 5 or 6 yrs now. Doing, a 60 km roundtrip daily. The electric motor is in the rear wheel. She has done more than 35,000 km with her bike. Currently on her 2nd motor and 3rd battery. She even has summer and winter tyres for her bike.

For more background info: our local bike shop has a nice website with interesting information. Use Google translate for -what I think- seriously good info about the 'dilemma' you face when buying an electric bike. They only sell high-end bikes but those bikes are often used for more-than-serious work... The experience found there is mentioned in the article.

https://www.bongersbikes.nl/e-bike-dilemma/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Nice vid. Don’t see a kit for retro fit on the website. Is it an option? I’m in the market right now.

Master
    The Ribble one is getting a good press if you like road bikes

Master
    Anything decent under a grand secondhand?

Master
    We hired a couple in Sienna and it was so warm we opted for the e-bikes having never ridden them before. 40km later we'd nursed them to the final hill with 50% battery left and turned them up to full power.... we were doing c20mph uphill grinning like fools.

I'm not ready to buy one but wouldn't hesitate, especially if it made the difference between enjoying cycling and/or going out.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Noisy and no exercise.

Master
    Always admire 'skills' like these and the have-a-go attitude. Will be good to see the finished (working) article!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

OK. Rainy day update. Fitting the motor to the hybrid Boardman had to be abandoned. The hybrid has a BB30 bottom bracket, and the motor can be made to fit that, but I need to source a BB30 adaptor to old style BB assembly in order to do it. Mucho googling required.

So, plan B. I have an old Boardman MTB which I also wasn't using, so I've bolted the motor into that. Like Sprite, I had to shim out the drive side about 4mm to stop the motor cases fouling the chainstay, but apart from that it was a straightforward fit. I spent more time getting the rear derailleur to work properly than I did fitting the motor and battery. The original derailleur cable(s, front and rear mech) ran down the downtube, under the bottom bracket and along the chainstay, but that had to be binned as the cable guide under the bottom bracket can't be used as the motor gets in the way. So I've just run a cable from the handlebar directly to the rear mech. I'll need to fiddle with that, but for the moment it works.

The thing goes surprisingly well. It'll go up the hill outside our house (which is about 1 in 4) on the smallest rear cog with the assistance on maximum. I did have to stand on the pedals though. Downsides are that the bike was heavy to start with, now it's extremely heavy. It was also quite well used before I laid it up, so it needs a new chain, brake pads and the front forks (RockShox Reba) need a service. I've just spent over £100 on service items. £60 alone for brake pads.

Anyway. A couple of photos.

Plan is to run this for a while, source a BB conversion kit for the hybrid, buy another motor and battery box base for that, and put the battery on whichever of the two I happen to want to use.

The hybrid will probably get more use, as it's really light.

Master

This is a Dillenger kit. Their latest road legal system. I chose them because they seemed the most responsive and I got a good deal, not much more than an eBay job but with full support and warranty etc.

Built up late last year onto a Kona hybrid I picked locally and I’m very happy with it. I think front hub motor is a bit of a compromise but then I don’t have great spannering skills. It still needed some fettling with a file to get it to fit the dropouts. And it’d be easy to move to a new bike if desired.

I’m getting over 40 miles range at ~50% pedal assist. Sure this will deplete as time goes on but it’s easily enough to join back in with group cycling when we’re allowed again. My health conditions had ruled me out of decent length rides. Great project and a useful outcome.

Journeyman
    How does the front hub drive compare to regular cycling? Does it effect steering feel at all?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    How does the front hub drive compare to regular cycling? Does it effect steering feel at all?
    You can certainly feel it. The 350w (software limited to 250w) motor is plenty torquey enough to do its job uphill etc. But it is not obtrusive and I no longer consciously notice it when on the move. You definitely also feel it as you set off but it’s just a factor of pedal assist lagging fractionally behind the movement. I have tried it with the thumb throttle too and that’s like an electric motorbike. A slow one!

Craftsman
    This has been a really interesting thread. I’m thinking of joining the e- bike community and am looking for a hybrid model around the £2K mark.

My short list at the moment is:

Orbea Gain F30
    Ribble Hybrid AL e
    Cannondale Quick Neo 2

Has anyone any experience of any of these? With the current constraints I have only managed to test ride the Orbea.

^ Did you consider the Boardman hybrid?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/...-hyb-8.9e.html

I thought about one of these, but in the end decided to build my own. The list is £2,249, but I'm pretty sure Halfords were doing an offer recently that worked out at about the £2k mark.

I have to confess I'm biased. I've had more than a few Boardmans over the years, a few of which are posted on here.

Electric Bicycles

Anyone mentioned the Van Moof S3 yet?
    I’ve got the S2 which was £3k+ with accessories but is a great bit of kit, however they have just launched the S3 which has some significant improvements, better motor , brakes & gears, yet is now only £1,789.
    They claim this is due to doing more in house.
    I’m a bit gutted as I bought mine just 6 weeks before they launched the new model but I am still very happy with the build quality & usability and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an e bike.
    I am I my 50’s and have rheumatism which means I struggle with a normal bike. However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 1st May 2020 at 15:35.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    I’ve got the S2 which was £3k+ with accessories but is a great bit of kit, however they have just launched the S3 which has some significant improvements, better motor , brakes & gears, yet is now only £1,789.
    I’m a bit gutted as I bought mine just 6 weeks before they launched the new model but I am still very happy with the build quality & usability and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an e bike.
    I am I my 50’s and have rheumatism which means I struggle with a normal bike. However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease.

Thanks - they seem to get great review

However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease.

I ordered one of the S3’s on the day of release. I always liked the looks for a commuter when I saw the S2, and already have a mountain bike I like to ride, but with my house move I’ll be a little further from work, but still want to cycle in (mostly down hill), but more importantly cycle home which would be more uphill. I was swayed by our cycle to work scheme, which allows me to contribute the extra over the allowable cost to BIK, so it works out a little cheaper still.

Almost bought an S2 in their sell off, but waited for the new release just in case, and happy enough. Although it will be something like another 6 weeks until delivery, so not as easy as popping to the LBS and taking home an E-bike the same day.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Anyone mentioned the Van Moof S3 yet? I’ve got the S2 which was £3k+ with accessories but is a great bit of kit, however they have just launched the S3 which has some significant improvements, better motor , brakes & gears, yet is now only £1,789. They claim this is due to doing more in house. I’m a bit gutted as I bought mine just 6 weeks before they launched the new model but I am still very happy with the build quality & usability and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an e bike. I am I my 50’s and have rheumatism which means I struggle with a normal bike. However since my e bike was delivered I have been out nearly every day & taking on rides of 20, 30 & 40 miles rounds trips with ease. Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Can you derestrict them? 15mph is a bit slow otherwise the look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    You can, but to qualify as a bicycle in the EU the legal limit is assistance only and 15.5mph.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    You can, but to qualify as a bicycle in the EU the legal limit is assistance only and 15.5mph.
    I average 18/19 when fit so no point for me if the max is 15. The other day I was overtaken by an electric mtb at 24mph!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I average 18/19 when fit so no point for me if the max is 15. The other day I was overtaken by an electric mtb at 24mph!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    The ‘max’ isn’t 15. The motor stops helping at 15. You can go as fast as you can pedal.

The Van Moof has a European & a USA setting which you can change in its app. This gives you a top speed assisted of around 28mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This graphic is the easiest way to understand the rules around e-bikes here in the U.K.

The USA also has a slightly higher e-bike assist limit of 20mph.

If your factory or home made e-bike assists to pedelec levels, that’s fine but you need the relevant licence, the bike has to be DVLA registered and display a registration plate with correct lighting etc, and you need insurance.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    im really liking these, an electric has been on the cards for a while and this perfect.

Am I buying one, if delivery was quicker I would ordering right now but it’s mid July for the s3 and August for the x3.

Shame.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Not sure how I got here but I am now so...

Must admit that I thought e bikes were big heavy ugly things for lazy sods and now I just discovered the Bianchi Aria E Road. And I want one.

My self-justification for looking at them is that I'm not enjoying cycling when it involves battling against a headwind and when I see the last 8 miles of my ride are going to be into a 20 mph wind (which is often) I don't go. Might this actually make me cycle more and therefore have some health benefits...or am I just being a lazy sod?

I'm intrigued but it feels a bit like giving in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Not sure how I got here but I am now so...

Must admit that I thought e bikes were big heavy ugly things for lazy sods and now I just discovered the Bianchi Aria E Road. And I want one.

My self-justification for looking at them is that I'm not enjoying cycling when it involves battling against a headwind and when I see the last 8 miles of my ride are going to be into a 20 mph wind (which is often) I don't go. Might this actually make me cycle more and therefore have some health benefits...or am I just being a lazy sod?

I'm intrigued but it feels a bit like giving in.
    That, and steep(-ish) hills is exactly what those bikes are for. It's truly life changing in this respect. Just don't take my or anyone else's word for it, go and try one for yourself. Genuinely.

Craftsman
    That, and steep(-ish) hills is exactly what those bikes are for. It's truly life changing in this respect. Just don't take my or anyone else's word for it, go and try one for yourself. Genuinely.
    Absolutely. Changed my life (well, just a bit of it).
    Popped into a local bike shop for a tyre and was persuaded to take a test ride...hooked!

I will. My wife says the band of weather conditions in which I'll go out is tiny, and it is. Where I live, the prevailing wind means that whichever route I take, I face a steady uphill slog for at least 6 miles at the end into wind. It sometimes stops me doing the 20 miles before that. That's what I was hoping to overcome.

Who here would bother with that?

Electric Bicycles

I keep umming and arrring over these!

I like the look of the Sterling Babymaker Pro that I see on indiegoo which looks and sounds good at £1000 and doesn’t look like an ebike. I also like the S3 which does look different but good specs at a much higher cost.

Luckily there is a Van Moof store in Berlin and so will go and check them out once the lockdown eases.

I also have a Boardman Hybrid and I now have the conversion kits to think about!

Thanks

Master
    For anyone with small kids - https://www.revvi.co.uk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I like the look of the Sterling Babymaker Pro that I see on indiegoo which looks and sounds good at £1000 and doesn’t look like an ebike.
    No brake levers on the drops (if specified) on the pro model is poor. Maybe Widowmaker would be a more appropriate name

I keep umming and arrring over these!I like the look of the Sterling Babymaker Pro that I see on indiegoo which looks and sounds good at £1000 and doesn’t look like an ebike. I also like the S3 which does look different but good specs at a much higher cost. Luckily there is a Van Moof store in Berlin and so will go and check them out once the lockdown eases.I also have a Boardman Hybrid and I now have the conversion kits to think about!Thanks
    - - - Updated - - -

I like the look of the Sterling Babymaker Pro that I see on indiegoo which looks and sounds good at £1000 and doesn’t look like an ebike. I also like the S3 which does look different but good specs at a much higher cost.

Luckily there is a Van Moof store in Berlin and so will go and check them out once the lockdown eases.

I also have a Boardman Hybrid and I now have the conversion kits to think about!

Thanks
    Shocking reviews on the Babymaker - I wouldn’t go near one.

Electric Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Shocking reviews on the Babymaker - I wouldn’t go near one.
    That’s interesting as I thought that they hadn’t been released yet...can you point me in the right direction Scott?

Cowboy looked good but I don’t like how they look

I have to say my top two choices are now the Van Moof and the Ampler Curt. So it’s style vs classic looks.

Let me know how you get on with the S3

That’s interesting as I thought that they hadn’t been released yet...can you point me in the right direction Scott?

Cowboy looked good but I don’t like how they look

I have to say my top two choices are now the Van Moof and the Ampler Curt. So it’s style vs classic looks.

Let me know how you get on with the S3

Well reviews is probably a misnomer, but an example:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/04/meet...llion-dollars/

Thanks
    I have the VM X2, would recommend the X3.