closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A side effect of fake watches?

Master
    Blog Entries

A side effect of fake watches?

When I was in Tarragona I visited a Sunday market and saw 2 watches I liked.
    Clearly genuine Rolex watches wouldn’t be so casually strewn about but it made me doubt the rest of his vast stock.

I reasoned as NATO type straps where relatively new so those watches sporting them weren’t vintage 70s.

But what about the Nyon I really liked that watch it was 80 euros if I remember correct?
    I also liked the Bulova which was considerably more,he told me it was an automatic I thought the symbol ment it was quartz?

I didn’t buy anything,leaving cursing fakes and my lack of knowledge was I right to do so?

>.....

pic upload

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    The tuning fork symbol on the Bulova actually means that it's pre-quartz, an "Accutron" electronic watch. Unless Bulova continued to use that symbol as a sort of generic trademark, but I didn't think so.

I would not do any business at all with someone who deals in fakes, even if some of their watcher are real.

Because if they are low enough to sell a fake then they are probably low enough to sell bogged real ones, stolen watches and ones on the way out.

Buyer beware.

It is very easy to get stung on e-bay, especially with the wild and wonderful stories attached, I found this in my Grandad's loft or it was in a box from a storage sale and I don't really know much about them.

I bought a fake G-Shock in error the other week. It was only when I examined it closely I smelt a rat. Google images was a great place to start and images lifted clearly helped my case.

First two images are the watch that I bought:

The next two are borrowed images of the real thing:

The 24 hour and power save indicator are both wrong as is the spacing of the markers between the hour and minute numbers.

Luckily the seller and e-bay accepted my proof and I returned the Watch for a full refund. I'm sure the Watch will be relisted at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is very easy to get stung on e-bay, especially with the wild and wonderful stories attached, I found this in my Grandad's loft or it was in a box from a storage sale and I don't really know much about them.

I bought a fake G-Shock in error the other week. It was only when I examined it closely I smelt a rat. Google images was a great place to start and images lifted clearly helped my case.

First two images are the watch that I bought:

The next two are borrowed images of the real thing:

The 24 hour and power save indicator are both wrong as is the spacing of the markers between the hour and minute numbers.

Luckily the seller and e-bay accepted my proof and I returned the Watch for a full refund. I'm sure the Watch will be relisted at some point.
    Ebay are good like that, I found that evidence is not needed with ebay. They side with you if you "think" it is a fake good.

That is in my experience, yours may vary of course.

Master
    Traders aren't fools - if a 'Rolex' was real, he'd be asking €x,000 for it! Some would be asking €x,000 even if it was a fake....

As you say, if some of his stock is clearly fake, you have to assume that anything else that might be valuable will be as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not keen on fakes at all ,if something looks to good to be true,it most likely is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My point was if it wasn’t for fakes I would have bought at last one of those watches,because there are fakes around and I can’t tell I didn’t.

The accutron is nice. But I wouldn't touch it unless it was going. Worth a couple of hundred going and nothing if not. The Certina without a strap is also nice, but not worth much.
    There are a couple of others out of focus on the table that could be interesting.

I wouldn't let a few fakes in the mix put me off. It's par for the course with this type of trader. If you want to find the needle in the haystack, first you have to accept that there will be some hay.

I was bored, so I took a look at the high res images.
    Apart from the Accutron and the Festina , there's a Poljot mechanical alarm & a Citizen Eagle in there. Definitely some interesting vintage watches and of the grade where people aren't mucking around with them.

Master
    Stumbling across a cheap Rolex On some interstitial dealer’s table is like stumbling across an undiscovered Ferrari In the local scrap yard. Ot doesn’t happen. The brands are too well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Stumbling across a cheap Rolex On some interstitial dealer’s table is like stumbling across an undiscovered Ferrari In the local scrap yard. Ot doesn’t happen. The brands are too well known.
    Yes, Rolex is certainly too well known. Even someone like my 86 year old mother in law would know it should be expensive. I can imagine makes like Rado, Oris etc creeping under someone's radar, or even Grand Seiko, but never Rolex. The Ferrari analogy is very apt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    That analogy is pretty spot on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    And this is why, back in 2007 when I was looking for a new "quality" watch, I bought a Sinn U2. No fake versions back then and you would have to be a WIS to recognise and appreciate the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    The tuning fork symbol on the Bulova actually means that it's pre-quartz, an "Accutron" electronic watch. Unless Bulova continued to use that symbol as a sort of generic trademark, but I didn't think so.
    They did.

Plenty of quartz "Accutrons" about.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was the Nyon genuine or a known make?

I was close to buying it but for the fakes.

Journeyman
    I wonder that ebay seller how much earn with fake casio
    You must spend a lot of money for product that watch and profit???

Fake watches

It’s ok to say stay away from fake watches but how many can spot one ,earlier this year I was given a omega 300 to look at everything looked fine till I took the back off and discovered it was a shangei special
    So it’s not easy to spot the fakers are getting better at the game.

That 16610 fake is laughable.

If the fakes were this bad there wouldn't be anything to worry about. But they're not, they're much better these days in those specialized fake forums.

To be honest, fakes are so prevalent in Spain that I wouldn't be that fussed that he also has some. They're just watches, and he sells watches. Doesn't mean everything he has is fake.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    To be honest, fakes are so prevalent in Spain that I wouldn't be that fussed that he also has some. They're just watches, and he sells watches. Doesn't mean everything he has is fake.
    Anyone, be they a shop keeper or a private individual, who knowingly sells a fake is lower than a dead frogs belly decomposing at the bottom of a prehistoric lake. I would not wish to be within a mile of such lowlife.

If I had the powers of dictatorship, I would make them physically eat the damn things.