closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales corner - "asking what i paid for it"

Craftsman

Sales corner - "asking what i paid for it"

There is a lot of items in sales corner of folks asking "what i paid for it" for various watches.
    In quite a few of the cases, the watch was purchased second hand, tried for a few weeks and was not a match to its new owner for whatever reason.

I know one can ask whatever they like for an item for sale and forum members will decide if its worth it to them, but is it a bit saucy to be looking for the same amount, effectively having a watch for free to try out for a few weeks?

This is supposed to be the main point of sales corner. Well priced watches get passed around so members get to try a range of watches. Unfortunately some members abuse this

Master
    Alternatively, “looking for what it owes me”. It’s a watch, or any other commodity posted on SC, but whatever it is, it doesn’t owe you a damn thing.

What percentage of a second hand watch's value erodes in a month? 50%? 75%? None whatsoever?

Master
    Given that many watches are offered well below market value and are in exactly the same condition as sold, I'd say getting what you paid is generally a fair expectation.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What percentage of a second hand watch's value erodes in a month? 50%? 75%? None whatsoever?
    Or maybe its treated more like a car in that a big factor is the fact that it has had another owner.

You have a choice of two cars (or watches), both the same age, one had one owner, one had 7. which would you chose assuming all other things are equal and you have not had an opportunity to hold and examine the item?

Why not? It's likely a second-hand watch that has already done the bulk of its depreciation since new. If there has been no material change in condition or function, then after a couple of weeks why should the value have changed?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

The problem comes when someone near gives something away in a mad rush to sell.

Then if you ask over what you paid you get accused of being a rip off merchant and profiteering from the forum.

Even though it was completely undervalued by the original seller.

Surely better to do this than to sell it elsewhere for a profit. As others have said watches are typically below market value here, so I don't see any harm.

It is fine as long as it doesn’t say- what it owes me!

There is a degree of "deprecation" as the "what it cost me" normally included RMSD so the 2nd seller does not make the full amount back.

I recently offered a £200 watch back to the forum to include RMSD and a Fundraiser donation and I did say I was looking for what I paid, I wore the watch for 2 days at home and was honest about it, so I don't see any harm. In the end it was sold on eBay for slightly more and after fees from PP I was a few quid better off than selling on the forum.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    There is a lot of items in sales corner of folks asking "what i paid for it" for various watches.
    In quite a few of the cases, the watch was purchased second hand, tried for a few weeks and was not a match to its new owner for whatever reason.

I know one can ask whatever they like for an item for sale and forum members will decide if its worth it to them, but is it a bit saucy to be looking for the same amount, effectively having a watch for free to try out for a few weeks?
    So are you expecting to get a watch at less of a price every time its advertised in a downward trajectory even if the condition has not changed?

I have no problem with people asking what they paid so long as that was not over priced initially, its part of the merry go round that was in full flight here 10+yrs ago, allowing members to try many and varied watches and effectively little to no cost unless someone loved it and it stuck. Friday night, a few beers, seeing something different, trying it, because you knew someone else would try it at the same (good) price a week or so later. Does this happen now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    So are you expecting to get a watch at less of a price every time its advertised in a downward trajectory even if the condition has not changed?

I have no problem with people asking what they paid so long as that was not over priced initially, its part of the merry go round that was in full flight here 10+yrs ago, allowing members to try many and varied watches and effectively little to no cost unless someone loved it and it stuck. Friday night, a few beers, seeing something different, trying it, because you knew someone else would try it at the same (good) price a week or so later. Does this happen now?
    It's the way of the world now, every action committed by anyone else is ripe for self-righteous criticism.

It doesn't bother me, as stated it is up to the buyer to decide if they are happy with the price. I think it's fair if someone buys, wears for a day or two then decides they don't like, but not so sure if they wore it everyday for 9 months then decided they wanted their full money back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    I expect nothing.

But to push on discussion, the watch has been worn. Its had another owner. Who says the owner didnt let the watch go through the wash in their pocket? Cosmetically it may be still almost the same as it was, but may now not be performing as it did, or closer to requiring a service.
    Risks of buying second hand for sure, but with more owners, risk increases so yea, maybe it should lose value with each owner.

I expect nothing.

But to push on discussion, the watch has been worn. Its had another owner. Who says the owner didnt let the watch go through the wash in their pocket? Cosmetically it may be still almost the same as it was, but may now not be performing as it did, or closer to requiring a service.
    Risks of buying second hand for sure, but with more owners, risk increases so yea, maybe it should lose value with each owner.
    Its up to the buyer at the end of the day, just because they try to get their outlay back does not mean that they are going to get it.

I remember someone recently who tried it and got no sale.

Or maybe its treated more like a car in that a big factor is the fact that it has had another owner.

You have a choice of two cars (or watches), both the same age, one had one owner, one had 7. which would you chose assuming all other things are equal and you have not had an opportunity to hold and examine the item?
    Or one has had 6 owners, one 7. Does it matter?

Master
    I expect nothing.

I think you're reading too much into it.

What if someone owned it for two weeks, but in that two weeks took it to a service tech and had it checked over. Should he ask more?

Or maybe it arrives grubby and the owner spends an hour cleaning the crap out from the clasp/bracelet links. Can he ask more?

The number of owners has never bothered me, nor I imagine many others.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I think you're reading too much into it.

What if someone owned it for two weeks, but in that two weeks took it to a service tech and had it checked over. Should he ask more?

Or maybe it arrives grubby and the owner spends an hour cleaning the crap out from the clasp/bracelet links. Can he ask more?

The number of owners has never bothered me, nor I imagine many others.
    That is a good point, I bought a watch and had it professionally regulated, some new pins in the links etc.
    Cost £30 odd on top of what I paid and is considerably more accurate than when I bought it.

As with anything, if you don't like the asking price don't buy it. I want £50,000 for my car, the problem is no one will pay it!

Alex

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I expect nothing.

and when value reaches below market value due to many owners?

members here are usually careful with their watches.
    members here also usually have more than one watch so wear in rotation.
    a 10 year old watch that has had many owners has the same chance of requiring work as a 10 year old watch thats been worn by one owner.
    your risk increasing hypothesis is a false one.

as people having the "opportunity" to try out a watch for a couple of week.. they paid anything from 50 quid to 5k for it so its not really like it was a lend by a philanthropist

Quote Originally Posted by Earwicker View Post
    As with anything, if you don't like the asking price don't buy it. I want £50,000 for my car, the problem is no one will pay it!

Alex
    I think the point is, unless it's a Rolex you bought years ago and are selling for the same price, just stating the I want what it cost/owes, puts potential buyers off - when the only reason I can see to state it is to try and allay any fears that the seller is a dirty rotten profiteer (some even make the statement and are outed as complete liars!). Just don't bother saying anything apart from stating the known history, price and condition, oh and posting decent pics.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I might be wrong but in a community like this I would hope it's safe to assume owners are pretty careful with their watches. To compare number of owners who maybe wear the watch in a rotation with several others with a car that is likely to get far more regular use isn't really representative.

Master
    "Asking what I paid for it" might also mean they are actually passing on a great bargain to the next owner - doesn't necessarily mean a seller is asking more than they should.
    Although could obviously mean the opposite & are looking to get their money back from a watch that wasn't worth what they originally paid!

Wouldn't bother me if a seller was "asking what I paid for it", as long as the watch was good value for me.

Pay your money & take your choice........

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would say that most watches I have sold on SC I have lost money on or occasionally broken even, as I got the watch at an amazing price in the first instance, and wanted the watches to remain in the forum.

There are a few cheeky rascals about, but most folk are honest with their final price. The final price will always be dictated by what someone is willing to pay.

Exceptions to that rule will be Rolex sports models or Aquanauts for example where the owner is making a profit but undercutting Watch Finder sales pricing, which is fair enough, in my opinion.

Craftsman
    I have turned down buying gear when people say "I just want what I paid for it"..... it irritates me that someone has used (caused wear) in an item and then wants all thier money back. I Always sell items for less than I personally paid, unless I've had something years and the value has increased dramatically.
    Even then I'd ask the person to make an offer rather than set the price myself.

In regards to WIS, then this particular illness sees people flipping watches, sometimes within hours of having bought it, so in that situation I accept that it is reasonable to want "what you paid for it". Still best to phrase the advert differently though.
    Last edited by PDR; 9th October 2019 at 11:14.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A seller can ask what they please,doesn’t mean it will sell for that price.

Master

I find this analogy a bit naive....
    If someone offered me a Rolex Daytona for what it owes them having bought it from an AD I would probably bite their hand off... the fact that it is “second hand” would not bother me especially since I will be farting a huge discount compared to the second hand going rate!
    A watch is not a car and hence the rationale you are presenting does not apply...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    I find this analogy a bit naive....
    If someone offered me a Rolex Daytona for what it owes them having bought it from an AD I would probably bite their hand off... the fact that it is “second hand” would not bother me especially since I will be getting a huge discount compared to the second hand going rate!
    A watch is not a car and hence the rationale you are presenting does not apply...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Alternatively, “looking for what it owes me”. It’s a watch, or any other commodity posted on SC, but whatever it is, it doesn’t owe you a damn thing.
    Quite a common term which really means that the seller would like what he paid for it back , not really hard to understand is it ?

Craftsman
    I have no issues with that phrase as a fair few of us buy used and flip or buy and quickly let go when we realise it's not for us. Much better than 'What you see is what you get" or "condition as per photos" with no explanation.

Grand Master
    I don`t see a problem with asking what was paid provided the watch is in exactly the same condition. However, the seller has to take full responsibility for the condition of the watch and how it's running, it's no good saying 'it was like that when I bought it'. That's a the problem I have with the 'catch and release' comments, when a watch has been taken in trade. Once you own a watch it's entirely your responsibility for it's condition and how its performing, provided the seller accepts that it's fine.

There's always the chance the seller paid too much and is trying to recoup what he's paid, in that case he may struggle.

Journeyman
    Surely the seller is only saying that so to show that theyre not profiteering......

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It doesn't bother me, as stated it is up to the buyer to decide if they are happy with the price. I think it's fair if someone buys, wears for a day or two then decides they don't like, but not so sure if they wore it everyday for 9 months then decided they wanted their full money back.
    Does the same rule apply to S/S sports Rolex or watches that may have increased in value.

Craftsman
    It comes down to what the buyer is willing to pay.
    No one forces you to buy a watch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or who you paid it to, or when you paid it. The watch is worth what it's worth and that's what you should sell it for. Then the hoovers will have nothing to hoover and the forum gestapo will have nothing to gestapover.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or who you paid it to, or when you paid it. The watch is worth what it's worth and that's what you should sell it for. Then the hoovers will have nothing to hoover and the forum gestapo will have nothing to gestapover.
    Maybe it’s evidence of what it’s worth.

Master
    The previous price is purely the business of the previous buyer and seller, it has got nothing to do with anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The previous price is purely the business of the previous buyer and seller, it has got nothing to do with anyone else.
    Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Does the same rule apply to S/S sports Rolex or watches that may have increased in value.
    Of course not, owning a Rolex is a licence to make money - everyone knows that 😉

Master
    We can also deploy the Doesn’t bother me one bit. If the previous owner overpaid for the watch then they probably won’t get what it ‘owes’ them, if it was a fair price then they usually will.

How long do they have to wait before putting up the price to ‘reflect the market’ though?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wrong.
    There is no obligation for anyone to tell you what they paid for a watch, and please don't quote the old mates thingy, have you taken a recent look at the BP, everyone seems to be squabbling with everyone.

If I buy a watch, I don't give a damn what the seller paid and I don't care if he made a profit or a loss, why should I ?

Blog Entries
    I hate those two terms: “what is owes me”, “asking what I paid for it”, on SC.

I simply ask what I want for the watch, there is often negotiations via PM so who knows what the final sale price is. It is between the buyer and seller to decide. It used to be the asking prices were almost rental prices for watches on TZ allowing members the ability to try lots of different watches with little outlay. There was no referring to second hand dealership prices or Chrono24 Watchfinder or whatever. Anyway - just my two pence.

(can we talk about watches rather than the price of watches?)

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th October 2019 at 17:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wrong.
    I’d love to hear your explanation of why you think it’s wrong.

Craftsman
    Shame house prices aren't valued in a similar fashion!

Master
    What is the point of this thread. Vendors can ask what they like and buyers will pay what they like. End of story.

Journeyman
    I’m still unable to see sales threads.....

How many posts do I need?

Craftsman
    I've bought a couple of pieces from sc as a lurker.

Both good prices, I'd think nothing of listing them at the same price. I'd be pretty confident theyd bacheive it too.. despite me being an additional owner

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    I’m still unable to see sales threads.....

How many posts do I need?
    50 posts /60 days or more.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    50 posts /60 days or more.
    Ok thanks,just had a look and it says 250 posts before I can post in them......

Am I allowed to PM a seller in between 50/250 posts?