closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Transition from Rolex SS Sports to AP Offshore?

Transition from Rolex SS Sports to AP Offshore?

So......having tried on an AP Diver a few weeks ago and then missed it before someone else bought it I've been regularly thinking did I miss out?

I was pleasantly surprised about how the 42mm AP sat on the wrist but under no illusions that it would wear larger than a 40mm GMT/Sub.

So just curious whether anyone on here has successfully transitioned from the 'default' rugged sport watch to something larger and more angular?

Should I just accept that its not a great everyday watch and will always need a buddy...say a Datejust to keep things balanced.

Just so you know its a Kermit that would have to make way for the AP Diver taking advantage of recent prices hikes and that I just don't wear it much.

Cheers.

Chris

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Made that exact transition in reverse, from the diver on a steel bracelet to a ceramic sub.

Both are beautiful watches and a pleasure to own. In my opinion the AP is a league ahead in terms of design, finish and feels a special watch.

The major drawback and something you seem to have considered is that it feels delicate in comparison to the Sub and due to its size, is a magnet for door frames, tables ect. There was many a time I was scared to look after hearing a 'clunk'!

I have noticed that Sub prices are getting to the point there is little in it and have been seriously considering going back to the AP, if I do then as per your post, I will also find something more easy use on a day to day basis that I don't have to worry about.

Both great but the AP is something above in my opinion!

Best of luck with your decision.

Iscb

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The biggy for me is the hexagon shaped screws on the AP . Now I now i'm a bit of a newbie but why do they then have a slot cut into them to turn when obviously they cant due to the shape ? What am I missing ?

Also for the price of that watch to me those same ' screws ' just don't fit well enough . Basically I cant see past those !!

On the plus side feel free to buy the AP and give me first dibs on the Kermit please !!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    The biggy for me is the hexagon shaped screws on the AP . Now I now i'm a bit of a newbie but why do they then have a slot cut into them to turn when obviously they cant due to the shape ? What am I missing ?

Also for the price of that watch to me those same ' screws ' just don't fit well enough . Basically I cant see past those !!

On the plus side feel free to buy the AP and give me first dibs on the Kermit please !!!
    screws lock from the back of the case.

OP - that AP is a lovely piece - and could be treated as an everyday watch but perhaps not as with such abandonment as a (5 digit) Rolex. Maybe keep the Kermit if you can!

Probably just as expensive damaging an LV Sub bezel insert at the AP bezel :)

I wish I had added an AD diver when they were (too!) cheap - but hey ho.

I may let an LV go in future years, but only when it makes sense to put the money into something like a house or business venture.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Probably just as expensive damaging an LV Sub bezel insert at the AP bezel :)

I wish I had added an AD diver when they were (too!) cheap - but hey ho.

I may let an LV go in future years, but only when it makes sense to put the money into something like a house or business venture.
    but the LV Kermit bezel is just a bit of green tin?? I thought they were £30 to replace (has my tongue completely embedded itself in my cheek?).

I should mention I'm lucky enough to also have one of these in the collection so even if I did go AP Diver then I'd still have a everyday sports watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    switched, then switched back

black diver, silver diver, black diver, white diver, navy, safari, navy.

I go back to Rolex every time. I wouldnt ditch a LV for one under any circumstances.

They are beautiful watches, but a lot more delicate. The case requires mindfullness or it WILL scratch, and the movements are nowhere near as robust. (royal oaks and offshores make up most of the traffic through our service department for repairs)

Master
    Did the AP Diver, ditched and back to Rolex...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    (royal oaks and offshores make up most of the traffic through our service department for repairs)
    That is an interesting bit of intel.

I had that exact ROO. Nice watch (IMHO worth investing in the bracelet as it looks superb). I agree with other comments that it does feel a bit more flimsy. Definitely a notch above a ceramic Rolex in terms of fit and finish but then so is the Blancpain 50 Fathoms and you can get one of those bad boys for around £7.5k pre owned and it won't be delicate at all.

If it was a choice between a ceramic Rolex and the AP I'd go AP (or the BP) but I wouldn't ditch that Kermit for anything as it is an all time classic and will continue to appreciate in value. Just my tuppence worth of course

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Have done this a couple of times. Main thinking/learning from my experience;
    - AP is not an only watch. Having a sports Rolex really works to cover a lot of day to day
    - problem with the steel bezel is they really can scratch up. For some this is no issue but IMO the finish is a major part of what makes it better and in a watch at this price I would like it to keep looking it’s best
    - having both bracelet and rubber strap gives great options
    - given the height you need to be much more wrist aware

Given all the above, I really do like the ROO. IMO one or two of the line up get close to being the ultimate luxury sports watch (design, materials, wrist presence).

Thanks for the various comments. Really interesting to hear views on the AP in terms of being less robust as an everyday wearer.

Spending £13k on a single watch would be a really big deal for me and could only come if I traded the Kermit or GMT.

The rest of the collection is very wearable at 36-40mm so having the most expensive piece at 42mm and wearing larger would be a bold move.

Decisions, decisions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    screws lock from the back of the case.

OP - that AP is a lovely piece - and could be treated as an everyday watch but perhaps not as with such abandonment as a (5 digit) Rolex. Maybe keep the Kermit if you can!

Then they should fit properly.
    £13k ish watch’s should have perfect machine work and non of those do.

At the moment we have to face facts and the facts are some SS Rolex are just not worth selling unless you really need to. The kermit especially just keeps going up in value.

Tough dilemma, but unless you're totally enamoured, find otherways to try or simply enjoy what you have!