closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heat Pump Tumble Dryers

Heat Pump Tumble Dryers

I'm after some opinions on heat pump tumble dryers - I trust online reviews only slightly more than politicians.

They seem to be a lot more energy efficient than condenser dryers, but one thing that caught my eye in the reviews was that a reasonable number of people said that they didn't dry very well, or were slow (compared to condenser dryers). Can anyone comment from real world experience?

[/mumsnet]

Journeyman
    We bought one...They're ok if you only put a few light items in otherwise you'll be waiting hours..Towels/jeans etc factor in a full day.
    It's like having a hairdryer working on it's lowest setting for both heat and power.

We ended up buying a dryer.

Master
    After looking at all the options I bought a non heat pump, non condensing Indesit. I decided the additional purchase cost alongside potential future unreliability outweighed the lack of efficiency.

Grand Master
    We use an old style free standing tumble dryer as a fallback, wahing ends up being dried on hangers in the spare room when we can’ peg it on the line outside. Not ideal, but with only two of us it works OK. We also gave an airing cupboard above the hot water tank which is v. useful for drying stuff.

I use the tumble dryer more when wifey’s out, I don’t care about the increased cost/energy usage but she moans about it. It’s quick and convenient, that’s why I like it.

The heat pump idea sounds like one for the eco-friendly brigade, if they take all day to get jeans and towels dry they’re not much use IMO.

Thanks all, you've confirmed what the reviews said - it's not much using half the electricity if you have to run them for twice as long.

I guess the only question now is; do I dig a bit deeper and buy a Miele?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Thanks all, you've confirmed what the reviews said - it's not much using half the electricity if you have to run them for twice as long.

Miele is also on the route of 'less power, longer wait' with their normal tumble dryers as I've found out...

Menno

I have a Samsung heat pump dryer - its very fast and quiet.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Condenser for me

I'm after some opinions on heat pump tumble dryers - I trust online reviews only slightly more than politicians.

They seem to be a lot more energy efficient than condenser dryers, but one thing that caught my eye in the reviews was that a reasonable number of people said that they didn't dry very well, or were slow (compared to condenser dryers). Can anyone comment from real world experience?

[/mumsnet]
    I have a condensing Haier and its good. I do have solar panels though so I only use it when Im producing freebie electric.

Master
    Blog Entries

I owned a Miele tumble dryer for a few months,sold it on eBay,nothing but trouble.I might have been unlucky but I won’t waste my money on that brand again.

Blog Entries
    Miele here, not a bad word to say. We don't use it that often, only for towels and cleaning clothes, bedding etc but works fine and can't say it takes that long. Only pain is having to empty the water that's collected, but all in all i wouldn't change it.

Master
    we had a Bosch one that was unreliable so got changed to a standard condensing Bosch dryer. I'm told by those who fix them that heat pump versions use less power but you do pay more (20%+?). The Bosch we have now is fine and was at the lower end of the price scale

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    We use an old style free standing tumble dryer as a fallback, wahing ends up being dried on hangers in the spare room when we can’ peg it on the line outside. Not ideal, but with only two of us it works OK. We also gave an airing cupboard above the hot water tank which is v. useful for drying stuff.

I use the tumble dryer more when wifey’s out, I don’t care about the increased cost/energy usage but she moans about it. It’s quick and convenient, that’s why I like it.

The heat pump idea sounds like one for the eco-friendly brigade, if they take all day to get jeans and towels dry they’re not much use IMO.
    Careful of introducing too much moisture in to the air in the house or you'll have a damp problem. We used to do this but ran a dehumidifier in the room at the same time. since getting the kitchen done we've been able to squeeze in a drier venting to outside.

Quote Originally Posted by B14REL View Post
    I have a condensing Haier and its good. I do have solar panels though so I only use it when Im producing freebie electric.
    Surely when the sun is shining the clothes could be out on the line?

Master
    We have had an AEG heat pump dryer for the last 5 years. No problems with it except a broken door hinge which cost £12 to replace. It does take about 2-3 hours to dry a load and you need to keep the filters clean otherwise it seems to stop before the clothes are properly dry.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We bought a £500 Hoover heat pump integrated dryer. Quite simply the WORST implementation of "Smart" tech ever. The app is utterly useless and rarely connects to the dryer. As for the crux of the matter... drying performance? Crap. Just crap.

I have to restart the dryer at least 5 times after the dryer claims to be done. I cant fathom how a moisture sensor can be so far off calibration. Haven't yet got our 1st electricity bill using this and its A+ rating. It had better save me a fortune!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    We have had an AEG heat pump dryer for the last 5 years. No problems with it except a broken door hinge which cost £12 to replace. It does take about 2-3 hours to dry a load and you need to keep the filters clean otherwise it seems to stop before the clothes are properly dry.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Same here had the aeg for 5 or so years door hinge broke on mine thought it was the misses leaning on it

Master
    we've just bought a Bosch heat pump condenser dryer as our LG washer / dryer didn't fit in our new kitchen. I have a very passing relationship with it but the wife isn't moaning about it so it must be doing it's job OK.