closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Supra 1000 bhp engine build

Supra 1000 bhp engine build

If anyone likes engines this a nice video showing the build to 1000hp. Lots of good explanation of what he is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT8Z...em-uploademail

1000 bhp on pump fuel is going some

I normally lose patience with these videos because the people doing them are tiresome, but this guy is very down to earth and straightforward.

I'll definitely watch some more.

I'd assumed this was on the old Supra, so it was interesting to see a modern engine being assembled!

Thanks for the link!

M

Really enjoyed this!

My son had the old 3.0 litre turbo and that was already fast enough!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

You needs stupidly expensive upgrades on the breaks tyres suspension shock absorbers and a bunch of other stuff to match the engine.

not worth it and you will never get the money back on it, it will end up sat in someones shed till sold off cheap

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    You needs stupidly expensive upgrades on the breaks tyres suspension shock absorbers and a bunch of other stuff to match the engine.

not worth it and you will never get the money back on it, it will end up sat in someones shed till sold off cheap
    yes I agree going to that level is stupid amounts of money. From the video in question they run a tuning company so I guess it is good publicity for them to get to 1000hp and see what the new engine can handle. Plus Americans love drag racing so supporting mods are not as much as say for a DD or track day car.

Why would you want your money back? people don't normally build fast cars as an investment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Why would you want your money back? people don't normally build fast cars as an investment.
    I used to be into the Evo scene and you'd see people spend £15k on a car, get the modifying bug and end up spending another £40k on HKS, JUN and other Japanese finery. When it comes to selling you might get £20-25k if you can find a buyer but usually the car gets stripped and parted out for a similar return and then you're left with a load of stuff no one wants. It's a financially ruinous pursuit for sure but I think most of the fun is in the building of the car to your exact spec and if you can afford it why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I used to be into the Evo scene and you'd see people spend £15k on a car, get the modifying bug and end up spending another £40k on HKS, JUN and other Japanese finery. When it comes to selling you might get £20-25k if you can find a buyer but usually the car gets stripped and parted out for a similar return and then you're left with a load of stuff no one wants. It's a financially ruinous pursuit for sure but I think most of the fun is in the building of the car to your exact spec and if you can afford it why not?
    someone recently told me that Tommi Makinen's go for 50k upward now

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    It is a dangerous slope and can be very addictive chasing BHP. Someone spent around that same figure on a megane R26 getting to it 500bhp, he wont be able to sell that for 7-8k at a push. For me I would just buy a nicer car for the money than overly modify a cheaper car. But I do understand the slippery slope that car modifications are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    someone recently told me that Tommi Makinen's go for 50k upward now
    I've seen them advertised for up to 60k but are they selling for that? Unless it's a delivery mileage and super rare RS version I'd doubt it and say 30k is closer to the going rate for a clean, lowish mileage and relatively unmolested one. Needs to be in red with the stickers too as the other colours aren't as desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    It is a dangerous slope and can be very addictive chasing BHP. Someone spent around that same figure on a megane R26 getting to it 500bhp, he wont be able to sell that for 7-8k at a push. For me I would just buy a nicer car for the money than overly modify a cheaper car. But I do understand the slippery slope that car modifications are.
    I completely agree. I remember getting some work done and there was an Evo there with 800bhp and over 80k spent on it but still on the standard Brembo's as the recession was full swing and the owner had ran out of money. I was chatting to the mechanic about it and I said something along the lines of "that's madness, you could buy a nice Ferrari for that," to which he replied "yeah, but you wouldn't get to build it." Each to their own I suppose.

Master
    Really good video, can't get away with the "and one time at band camp" though☹

Similarly when I was in my early 20s a friend spent 1000s on a 1.6 205 to make it as fast as possible. I never understood why he didn’t get a 1.9 in the first place. But better tuning cars than spending it in the pub/club I guess!

Master
    There is a Lexus ISF at my local Lexus dealer, I'm of the thought that prices on these are bottoming out and due to their rarity and interest, plus the halo effect from the LFA they will become future classics. This being the case I was seriously thinking of going for one and the local one ticked all the boxes, or so it seemed, unfortunately the exhaust is not standard (not really a big deal) but the diff has been swapped for an older one, either signifying a budget owner or one that liked to drift a bit. Neither of which endears me to the car in question.
    I love the idea of modified, giant slaying cars but after dabbling with them for a mid life crisis (a mitsubishi GTO with a bunch of bolt ons) it was fun but ultimately it was on the road 50% of the time and seriously tried to kill me once or twice, if you want a fast car, buy a fast car.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    There is a Lexus ISF at my local Lexus dealer, I'm of the thought that prices on these are bottoming out and due to their rarity and interest, plus the halo effect from the LFA they will become future classics. This being the case I was seriously thinking of going for one and the local one ticked all the boxes, or so it seemed, unfortunately the exhaust is not standard (not really a big deal) but the diff has been swapped for an older one, either signifying a budget owner or one that liked to drift a bit. Neither of which endears me to the car in question.
    I love the idea of modified, giant slaying cars but after dabbling with them for a mid life crisis (a mitsubishi GTO with a bunch of bolt ons) it was fun but ultimately it was on the road 50% of the time and seriously tried to kill me once or twice, if you want a fast car, buy a fast car.
    As they are a main dealer say you will buy it if they return it back to stock, it is very unusual for A lexus dealer not to do this with a car they are selling.

Master
    I would have thought insurance might be quite pricey too!!!

Journeyman
    Never make money tuning and subsequently selling cars! But they are great fun to drive,modify