closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fleece Jacket Recommendations

Craftsman

Fleece Jacket Recommendations

I'm looking for some recommendations for a warmer fleece jacket please rather than the generic Polartec 200. I do have a down jacket but I tend to nanny it and am paranoid about snagging it if out in the countryside.

My research has led me to the RAB double pile which may fit the bill. I also came across the Fjallraven particularly the Polar jacket but the bill doesn't fit my wallet being even more expensive than my down.

Anything else to look at please

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

What about pile/pertex? Buffalo/montane?

Blog Entries
    My fleece for countryside wear and tear is a ‘High Mount’ branded one with a quilted lining. Cheap as chips and nice and warm. Also because of the price I don’t feel precious about it if it gets snagged or dirty. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-quil...lothing&sr=1-2
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Have a look at Musto, have a couple of their fleece jackets

https://www.musto.com/en_GB/search-r...cgid=sale-mens

Blog Entries
    Musto is a great brand. It comes at a price. Plus side is the fact that it will last forever.

Alternatively: when price and quality are an issue, you might step off the beaten track and have a look at professional workwear items. E.g. Helly Hansen: over here they have a nautical range (prices just under Musto) and a workwear range that's much cheaper. Snickers Workwear is perhaps another brand worth investigating.

Menno

Fleece on it's own is technically a layering piece and not designed to be a 'warm' jacket on it's own. Polartec 200 is still the industry standard for warmth.

You can buy fleece with other layers added, such as windblock or even a gore-tex layer, but this can be expensive and you are going to end up with an outer jacket.
    Unfortunately -as you've said- many outer layers are quite delicate and could snag, so this can be a worry.

Another option would be to buy a really good base layer, such as a Merino wool product, from a good outdoor brand such as, Icebreaker (yes I do have an interest, so stated) or Smartwool, Mons Royale or Odlo. This would then help to both keep you warm underneath your fleece and even regulate your temp if you get too hot.

If you do go down the outer route, I'm afraid you get what you pay for here. If you are dog walking around in the country (hence your worry on snagging), you might want to look at one of the country brands such as Barbour or Schoffel Country.

Hope this helps
    John

Try craghooppers or highlander
    Relatively cheap and good quality

My go to is usually North Face, they look thin but actually beat some much thicker ones because of better material and tight construction or whatever,

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like deerhunter for fleeces, if you look at the sportsman gun centre they usually have discontinued lines at great prices.

Master
    Ive got fleeces by Rab, Berghaus , Mountain equipment and a few other and the Rab Double pile is the best of the lot for warmth.

I’ve got the rab double pile fleece. Highly recommend

Craftsman
    Buffalo mountain shirt, Pertex outer (windproof) which is tough as old boots and a decent fleece inner, no need to layer up, just keep moving! Also has vents if you get hot, had mine at least 20 years and still going strong. Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Fleece on it's own is technically a layering piece and not designed to be a 'warm' jacket on it's own. Polartec 200 is still the industry standard for warmth.

You can buy fleece with other layers added, such as windblock or even a gore-tex layer, but this can be expensive and you are going to end up with an outer jacket.
    Unfortunately -as you've said- many outer layers are quite delicate and could snag, so this can be a worry.

Another option would be to buy a really good base layer, such as a Merino wool product, from a good outdoor brand such as, Icebreaker (yes I do have an interest, so stated) or Smartwool, Mons Royale or Odlo. This would then help to both keep you warm underneath your fleece and even regulate your temp if you get too hot.

If you do go down the outer route, I'm afraid you get what you pay for here. If you are dog walking around in the country (hence your worry on snagging), you might want to look at one of the country brands such as Barbour or Schoffel Country.

Hope this helps
    John
    Pretty much spot on.

Now if you have vested IB interest - pass on any 50% discounts please

Craftsman
    Buffalo's are good, but too warm most of the time. I'm a fan of Rab Vapour Rise, all the benefits of a buffalo but cooler, lighter, and less bulky.

Master
    A brand that is not seen too often but is worn by Outward Bound staff both on expeditions and round the office due to its quality both in heat and robustness is Mountain Hardwear. Not too expensive and very good indeed. When I worked for OB, I got a good few purchased for the wife and myself and still use them many years later.
    Last edited by alas58; 8th October 2019 at 20:53.

Craftsman
    Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I think a trip to Go Outdoors is in order to have a look and more importantly try on a few

Hello

Have a look at Fourth Element. A diving orientated make but they do leisure / technical wear. They currently have two fleeces in their sale which are excellent!

I have had Mountain Equipment / Musto / Henri Lloyd / Helly Hansen / Gill you name it and I think Fourth Element are very good and at the price in the sale hard to beat!

I do a fair bit of walking and have used montain for a good few years, great jackets and mid layers. Also use fjallraven trousers, expensive but worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If you aren't a label freak, you can find some decent outdoor kit at very reasonable prices in the workwear section of B&Q, Screwfix etc!

For example, this Scruffs 320g fleece; £19.99 from Screwfix

What I found makes a huge difference outdoors is if you wear an army surplus "Norgie" thermal shirt.

If you have one of those, a jumper and then a thin fleece you will get toasted unless its -20 or something stupid

Master
    I needed a really warm fleece and the best/warmest was the Rab Classic double pile. Bought one on Monday and it's superb. Soft and very very warm...nothing compares hands down

Craftsman
    Is fleece generally warmer than down?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    No - down is warmer but has other issues e.g. if it gets wet it clumps together and loses pretty much all its warmth, it's not so easy to care for and the outer is not as robust as fleece. It's also more expensive and potentially there are ethical issues over the way the feathers are collected

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Down is definitely warmerst but as been said, once it gets wet/damp it quickly loses it's properties...won't be fluffed up. It's also bulkier.
    Plus it's not very convenient walking indoors in a down jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Pretty much spot on.

Now if you have vested IB interest - pass on any 50% discounts please
    Ha, Ha, if only such things existed! Never worked for a tighter brand, used to be great, but since coming out of private hands, not generous at all anymore

Journeyman
    Usually columbia made a fleece with the silver dots layer inside to reflect body warmth,they can be affordable on sale...I bought mine on sale...