closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Info needed on sliding platform for parking in single garage at home

Craftsman

Info needed on sliding platform for parking in single garage at home

Hello all

We've recently bought a house with a garage, which is 8 foot wide and long enough to park a decent sized car.

However, with me not being the slimmest chap in the world, and my desire to have a coupe , so longer doors than normal, I think I might have problems entering / exiting the vehicle when it's parked in the garage.

A year or so ago, I came across what seemed like an ideal solution, it consisted of a sliding platform that fitted inside a single garage, and it slid all the way out of the garage onto the drive, so you could park on the platform, get out of the car and the platform would slide back into the garage. This seems ideal as the car would always be perfectly parked and wouldn't risk bashing the doors trying to get out. If memory serves it was around 2 grand supplied and fitted.

The trouble is, I didn't save the details of the company, and I've been searching online and can't find it now, sods law I suppose.

I never cease to be amazed at the breadth of knowledge on this forum, so was hoping someone had come across something similar and could point me in the right direction.

This wouldn't be a daily driver, so all the faffing around wouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd change the garage door for a remote operated one, and the platform has a remote option as well, so wouldn't be too much of a pain. My drive is long enough for a couple of cars end to end in front of the garage, so I think it could work quite well.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

R

Master
    No idea about the platform but if your garage has an outside wall and you are lucky enough for it to be on the drivers side have you thought about putting a door in the garage wall next to your car door, if you see what I mean.

Something like it here, but not exactly.
    Might be worth a phone call?
    https://www.movetechuk.com/datasheet...0&%20Slide.pdf
    Cheers..
    Jase

Is entering/exiting through the third car door not an option?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    No idea about the platform but if your garage has an outside wall and you are lucky enough for it to be on the drivers side have you thought about putting a door in the garage wall next to your car door, if you see what I mean.
    There is an external wall on the drivers side, and we've got an alley which runs down the side of the house on the other side of it. I think I see what you mean, If I park and have the door open I could then open the car door wide enough to get in / out easily. I'm not too keen on this for a couple of reasons, would mean some structural building work and also, if I changed my car then the door might not be in the right place for the new car. However, it is an option and top marks for thinking outside the box. Cheers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Is entering/exiting through the third car door not an option?
    Do you mean through the boot / trunk? I was thinking of a 911 or a Gran Turismo, so don't really see that as being an option.

I could get a convertible I suppose, park it with the roof down and just climb in and out lol.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Something like it here, but not exactly.
    Might be worth a phone call?
    https://www.movetechuk.com/datasheet...0&%20Slide.pdf
    Thanks, I'll get in touch with them and see if they know what I'm going on about.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    Do you mean through the boot / trunk? I was thinking of a 911 or a Gran Turismo, so don't really see that as being an option.

I could get a convertible I suppose, park it with the roof down and just climb in and out lol.
    LOL Or something like plane boarding steps with slider on the other side
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I think OP is describing a longitudinal pallet parking system.

Something like https://www.multiparking.com.au/parkboard-peph/

I recall Nussbaum (spelling?) do one - my neighbour had one when I was working in Germany.

I've not seen a longitudinal one in the UK - only a few sideways ones for tight garages.

Master
    There is an external wall on the drivers side, and we've got an alley which runs down the side of the house on the other side of it. I think I see what you mean, If I park and have the door open I could then open the car door wide enough to get in / out easily. I'm not too keen on this for a couple of reasons, would mean some structural building work and also, if I changed my car then the door might not be in the right place for the new car. However, it is an option and top marks for thinking outside the box. Cheers.
    A friend of mine did it and it’s a very workable proposition, came in at just under a £1k, no need to open the door but opening the car door into the recess gives you a decent bit extra to play with. I keep intending to do it but as yet haven’t got round to it.

Craftsman
    How about this ?? https://youtu.be/wnKoGN2oaTk

I'll get my coat ..........

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=BritishExpat;5218364

I could get a convertible I suppose, park it with the roof down and just climb in and out lol.[/QUOTE]

A mate of mine used to do this in his Boxster

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    How about this ?? https://youtu.be/wnKoGN2oaTk

I'll get my coat ..........

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    87 on this video, with a wonderful Flemish accent! Belgian to the bone.

I love that MovetechUK system. It's relatively easy compared to the Klaus system.

Craftsman
    Have you considered a Tesla, smart summon might do the trick, and changing cars might be more affordable than re-fitting your garage.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Can you not just lose some weight?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    If the OP is anything like me you could be referring to several decades of investment.

Master
    Ignorant comment

Craftsman
    I do fancy an electric car as a daily driver, but I'm a big petrol head, and want a weekend toy to keep in the garage. The drives is big enough for 4/5 cars, and at the moment it's only me that drives as my kids are still young.

https://www.multiparking.com.au/park...elatedproducts

http://easy-park.co.uk/wp-content/up...nal-pallet.pdf

Looks like I've found a couple of possible soloutions

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Ignorant comment
    Morning fatty.

Master
    Morning fatty.
    You are showing yourself to be more ignorant by the hour.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You are showing yourself to be more ignorant by the hour.
    Ah bless, sorry if I hit a nerve chubby.

Master
    Ah bless, sorry if I hit a nerve chubby.
    No nerves hit - I honestly don’t care what you call me, as you are clearly just an unimaginative troll.

I don’t really understand the motivation of people like you who come into a watch forum to throw insults. Do you really have nothing better to do?

It is people like you that make this place a much less pleasant place to frequent, and the reason why so many long standing members have decided to leave

I do fancy an electric car as a daily driver, but I'm a big petrol head, and want a weekend toy to keep in the garage. The drives is big enough for 4/5 cars, and at the moment it's only me that drives as my kids are still young.

https://www.multiparking.com.au/park...elatedproducts

http://easy-park.co.uk/wp-content/up...nal-pallet.pdf

Looks like I've found a couple of possible soloutions
    Don’t see how that first solution (shifting sideways) will help and imagine that second one will be very expensive for a single space (if they’ll even do it).

Good luck though!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No nerves hit - I honestly don’t care what you call me, as you are clearly just an unimaginative troll.

I don’t really understand the motivation of people like you who come into a watch forum to throw insults. Do you really have nothing better to do?

It is people like you that make this place a much less pleasant place to frequent, and the reason why so many long standing members have decided to leave
    Lol, that old chestnut. 2/10.

Steve Wright's solution

'Serious Scramblin'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...rage-hand.html

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Steve Wright's solution

'Serious Scramblin'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...rage-hand.html
    Those pics were brutal, precisely what I wish to avoid.

I'm not back in the UK until next summer, but wanted to start making plans for our new place in advance of moving back.

Thanks to everyone who made a useful contribution.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Have you considered a Tesla, smart summon might do the trick, and changing cars might be more affordable than re-fitting your garage.

Buy a 5 series you can drive it in with the key

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I don't think we are far away from this being a common feature on most decent spec cars, as cars (and their owners) keep getting bigger and bigger, but garages/car parking spaces are staying the same size. Probably why most folks just don't bother putting their car in the garage nowadays.

MyParker sounds like what you're describing: https://www.myparker.co.uk/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    MyParker sounds like what you're describing: https://www.myparker.co.uk/

Result! That is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks very much, I really appreciate it.

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I thought I'd remembered that and was going to say so - but then worried I may have made it up!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes cars have defo got bigger especially since the 70s. I can easily walk round my TR

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ very nice! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Grand Master
    Would it not be cheaper and less damaging to get some type of remote winch installed at the rear of the garage, you could get one for 100 or so quid, and have someone install it for the same, cheap and cheerful.

I'm guessing these systems that you're after are just a ramp with a winch anyway?

Rather a bit of no-nonsense banter on the forum than this kind of po-faced humourlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Would it not be cheaper and less damaging to get some type of remote winch installed at the rear of the garage, you could get one for 100 or so quid, and have someone install it for the same, cheap and cheerful.

I'm guessing these systems that you're after are just a ramp with a winch anyway?
    How would you get it out?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How would you get it out?
    This would be a problem.

However, I think its's come to me. We've got a local Blacksmiths, been there for generations who could whip me up some ramps with heavy duty wheels, and fix them a set distance apart so that they just clear the garage door, and make some kind of track for the wheels to travel on. Have an electric winch fitted on the far wall opposite the garage door with remote operation. That would pull the car into the garage. When I want to get it out, I could use a motorized trailer mover and attach it to the ramp platform on the opposite end to the winch, the kind of thing that people use to move caravans and boats around to pull it straight out. With the wheels running on tracks there shouldn't be an issue with it not coming out straight.

What do you think guys, could I be onto something?

I think I would be leaving the car on the drive and use the garage for bikes and mowers and workbenches and a second fridge like I do. 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

What he said!! Anything that much hassle means you’ll never use the car

Agree, seems massive hassle. Either buy something like the system linked above (and price was less than I expected) or don’t bother.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think I would be leaving the car on the drive and use the garage for bikes and mowers and workbenches and a second fridge like I do. 
    The house has got a massive shed, which I plan to use as a workshop, and still have plenty of room for bikes, mowers etc.

I know what you guys are saying with it being a bit of a ball ache, but this is for a car that I would probably only use over the summer months, and even then on the weekends so it would be nice to have it tucked away the rest of the time.

My dad suggested installing a roller shutter on the outside wall of the garage where the car door would open. Perhaps this would be the best / simplest option, and would have the added benefit that I wouldn't have to go through the kitchen to get into the garage from the back garden, I could just go round the side of the house and enter the garage from there.

Almost everyone I know said that they would convert the garage into an extra room, but I've always wanted a house with a garage where I could park a nice toy. It would make me happy, and for that reason alone I think it's worth it.

I quite often push my Marcos in and out of my single width garage.

Probably a lot lighter than a modern 911 or Gran Turismo though!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Result! That is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks very much, I really appreciate it.

R
    I suspect that over time, depending on the car, the benefits of being able to garage it might well outweigh the cost of the platform - as they quote on their site:

"We forget the hidden costs of leaving our car outside. Insurance goes up, the vehicle faces the risk of vandalism, and exposure to the weather means more depreciation."

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I quite often push my Marcos in and out of my single width garage.

Probably a lot lighter than a modern 911 or Gran Turismo though!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I did this for years with various motors at our last place. Once you get the car rolling (in or out) it’s easy peasy. Even with a bit of a slope. You just make sure that you have a chock to hand.

Craftsman
    How about something like a motorised caravan mover. My brother in law has one fitted to his caravan to position when he gets to a site.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

You can make the winch push as well as pull. You just have to make a loop of the winch cable, and pass it round a fixed pulley at the outside end of the garage, as well as the winch's own drum. That way, when you reverse the direction, it will push the thing back out by tensioning the other end of the cable.

Also, bear in mind that you do not have to get the whole ting out, it only has to get out as far as the front of the doors, you can reverse it the rest of the way

Dave