closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Handing back a contract lease car - quick question

Handing back a contract lease car - quick question

My new car is due to be delivered on 16th October, and would you believe it, driving in to work this morning the brake pad warning light has come on...

The car has had zero issues in the two years I have had it, and not even required a service.

I don't have maintenance included on this one (although I have specified it for the new one).

What do I do? Do I need to get the pads replaced before handing it over? Not only would this incur some cost, but also be a right faff in getting it to a garage between now and then.

Any similar experiences?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What make of car is it, if Merc get it done. I have handed back on Contract hire 2 or 3 year deals many times and they have gone over them pretty well.

If it’s not been serviced in the two years you have had it you had better book it in, because they will charge you for it’s first service.

What is the service interval for the car
    Last edited by hilly10; 7th October 2019 at 16:40.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    What make of car is it, if Merc get it done. I have handed back on Contract hire 2 or 3 year deals many times and they have gone over them pretty well.

If it’s not been serviced in the two years you have had it you had better book it in, because they will charge you for it’s first service.

What is the service interval for the car

First service is 21k - the car is just coming up on 20k...

It's a VW Touareg.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Not sure if this helps at all, but I had front and rear disks and pads replaced on my Audi A4 last week, was £320 incl VAT.

(£170 for front and £150 for rear). Local independent garage.

So pads alone should not be too bad. Fully appreciate it is a faff though.

Master
    Phone up the contract hire company & see what they say the charge would be as it's possible that it's more cost effective to let them do it.

Craftsman
    Only way is to find out what the hirer says, or read your contract. Early termination no longer an option I presume since the light is there already

Journeyman
    With Vw , as long as you return it before the date that the service display shows on the info screen then you won’t be charged for the service . I have done this with both a Vw and an Audi which I had on 2 year lease through VWFS and no charges at all , one was collected 2 days before service date , no probs. As for the brake pads , have you checked them , it might be a faulty sensor which would be done under warranty anyway , wouldn’t have thought they would have worn out after under 20000 miles.

If the light was on or not VW would have to replace the pads before resale anyway as be below acceptable wear level for a used car so they shouldn't really charge in my opinion provided you are within agreed mileage etc.

This isn't based on experience but that is the line of argument I would follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvadali View Post
    wouldn’t have thought they would have worn out after under 20000 miles.
    VW Touareg ? Hardly a featherweight is it ? We don't know what TFBs driving characteristics are like...

Craftsman
    It all depends on terms of agreement.

If you are responsible for wear to brakes etc I would say yes you will be charged, but as another advised, ask what the charge would be, but they may say discs are an issue once they check.

Probably best to consider getting it investigated as a quick look should determine if pads worn excessively or a sensor fault.

Just put a piece of scotch over it and hand it in, you’ll be fine.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Take it to kwikfit or Halfords and get them to chuck a set of pads in it...